The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 331 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #9901 of 11099 Old 09-24-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoryder View Post
Hey guys,
I have a question about the Sirius Xm network. I did a search and found many people experiencing the same issue, but no resolution. While listening it will say server disconnected and then switch channels repeatedly. Does anyone know if there has been a fix for this?
Also, How do you get the unit to switch between the different Audio options, when I push the movie or music mode I get dolby digital, or Dolby pl2x a dsx, are those the only choices? It seems with Dolby the surround back work sometimes but not always. I read that you can hit the options button to pull up the audio but it only tells me picture mode and all zone stereo.

Thanks
Can anyone help me with this? Please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 11099 Old 09-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoryder View Post
Can anyone help me with this? Please?

Hold down the music/movie button then navigate the list that pops up.
post #9903 of 11099 Old 09-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Do I need power amplifier with this receiver to drive B&W CM10s speakers which are rated at 30W - 300W??
post #9904 of 11099 Old 09-24-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 View Post
Do I need power amplifier with this receiver to drive B&W CM10s speakers which are rated at 30W - 300W??
Doubtful. They are 8ohm nominal and 90db sensitivity so should be relatively easy loads unless you want to get insanely loud.
post #9905 of 11099 Old 09-24-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Doubtful. They are 8ohm nominal and 90db sensitivity so should be relatively easy loads unless you want to get insanely loud.
OK, cool...thats what I was hoping for Thanks batpig
post #9906 of 11099 Old 09-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
What about my suggestion to try another source? Do you have another source?
I have a ps3 that I could try connecting but I think I found the problem as described below ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You should still try another cable. That can solve a lot of HDMI problems. EVen though it might work fine with the other devices it could still be a problem with a specific device. I've seen this happen several times over the last ten years of using HDMI cables. It doesn't happen often but because of those few times, I will always change the HDMI cable first to see what it does. Not try a different device with the same cable.
I removed the cable connecting my player to the denon and swapped in the cable I had been connecting the denon to my projector with instead. So no picture, but I could still test for sound ... and that is what I heard. Sweet, sweet sound.

I know the placebo effect is real--I've experienced it myself--so this could just be placebo, but I would swear I hear a huge improvement in sound in terms of clarity and a seamless sound field ... the speakers all just sort of blend in together much better now. This is before any calibration whatsoever. I'm pretty happy. Now if I can just get the picture going ...
post #9907 of 11099 Old 09-24-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Based on the last few pages of this thread, I'm guessing the best buy Seppuku sale has come to an end and the thread can now revert back to technical discussions.

I wish mods had stepped in and asked all those looking for deal / discussing pricing to start a new thread rather than polluting an existing long thread. It's hard enough to get through 9,900+ posts on the 4520ci where vast majority of last 400+ posts seem to be deal/pricing related.

There seems to be some parallels with the previous generation 4311ci receiver also.
Schwa, Johnla, Craig Peer and 2 others like this.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #9908 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Based on the last few pages of this thread, I'm guessing the best buy Seppuku sale has come to an end .
that would be false....
as a matter of fact I would expect a further drop in the next 60 days if there is inventory

A more accurate assumption would be that those that were interested in buying one have already bought now at a good market price

Now that this model is "obsolete"..others are more interested in the "next big thing" vs this model

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #9909 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
So - I have a 4520 scheduled to arrive this AM (replacing a 4311 that suffered a breakdown after a lightning strike disabled all video functions) and I want to set up a 9.2 main room configuration with access to Zone 2 in another room. I have a 2 channel amp that I plan on using for the Front Height speakers and am looking for guidance on the proper AMP Assign configuration and wiring for the Zone 2 speakers (presumably they will use the Rear Surround R & L inputs. My plan is to assign 9 channels in Zone 1 for DSX and/or Neo 10 - appreciate any feedback - thanks
Well - I worked on setting up my 4520 yesterday, with mostly satisfactory results - but I'm still searching for the appropriate Amp Assign setting. To recap - currently running 9 Channels in Zone 1, and have assigned Front Heights to my pre-amp. I also want to use my surround back speakers for Zone 2 - but I don't think I have established the correct settings, since I'm not getting sound from Zone 2(Surround Back) speakers. I know I'm close - but need a little more direction - to complete the setup

post #9910 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Based on the last few pages of this thread, I'm guessing the best buy Seppuku sale has come to an end and the thread can now revert back to technical discussions.

I wish mods had stepped in and asked all those looking for deal / discussing pricing to start a new thread rather than polluting an existing long thread. It's hard enough to get through 9,900+ posts on the 4520ci where vast majority of last 400+ posts seem to be deal/pricing related.

There seems to be some parallels with the previous generation 4311ci receiver also.

I for one am grateful for the chatter about the BB deal. It motivated me to make a decision, and even though I returned the unit I was already addicted to XT32 so I went with the X5200.
post #9911 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
that would be false....
as a matter of fact I would expect a further drop in the next 60 days if there is inventory

A more accurate assumption would be that those that were interested in buying one have already bought now at a good market price

Now that this model is "obsolete"..others are more interested in the "next big thing" vs this model

Warren
Denon Authorized Refurb 4520's are still being sold for $1100. Of course that is still $200 less than I paid for my refurb.
post #9912 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Denon Authorized Refurb 4520's are still being sold for $1100. Of course that is still $200 less than I paid for my refurb.
if you follow A4L pricing
they have not been known to set the world on fire
Somehow I cant imagine they were doing much business with the new pricing at both BB and Amazon

many times their pricing is at( or even above) the market for the same model NIB

Their current price for the Marantz 8801 pre/pro right now is a perfect example of that
I always think most consumers are pretty educated on pricing in the internet age...clearly not always the case

True story
Years ago I bought a refub Onkyo 875 from ecost.com. At the time they were authorized for Onkyo refurbs
I called Mark , one of their principals as I recall, at A4L and asked if he would price match...at the time they were 28% higher than Ecost for the same item
I was told that ecost was not an authorized Onkyo dist anymore by him
I called Onkyo and verified that they were indeed authorized. Truth of the matter is that they were not going to be after they sold out of their current inventory or shortly thereafter
Anyway..I called A4L back and then listened to him do the dance on how good their service was over Ecost..yada..yada..yada
My comment was that both companies have the same return policy, the same factory warranty for the same item. They even had about the same reseller ratings as I recall
As long as it was delivered unblemished, which would have been a UPS claim anyway, I was good
I bought it from Ecost...saved $200 and sent A4L a copy of my receipt to show them I dont BS

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #9913 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

There have been several posts from new buyers running into various issues ... I was one of them, and I was starting to worry about my purchase .... Just want to let everyone know that a simple HDMI cable replacement has fixed my problem. The nice woman at Radioshack was trying to talk me into paying $24 for a six foot HDMI cable ... "It has gold plated ends," she told me, which I'm sure makes a big difference to all those 1s and 0s ... I bought the cheapest cable they had and now I have audio and video and I'm a happy camper.

Has anyone else noticed their picture quality improving with the 4520ci? I have an Oppo 93 and it has a pretty good reputation for video but I swear my picture has never looked this sharp and clear before ...

Big improvement in bass as well. Didn't think a receiver could make that much of a difference with subwoofer content ... but it apparently does.
post #9914 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked: 2501
Quote:
The port savers are just to use instead of constantly plugging and unplugging an HDMI cable. They are no more snug or loose than any other HDMI cable. Personally all my HDMI cables, which are mostly Monoprice, are snug in my dozens of devices. Including the three I use with my 4520
True - but being way more flexible and lighter than some of these unnecessarily heavy and thick HDMI cables, they put far less strain on the connection. I think that was Jerry's point, not that they inherently fit better.
post #9915 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_A_Anderson View Post
I for one am grateful for the chatter about the BB deal. It motivated me to make a decision, and even though I returned the unit I was already addicted to XT32 so I went with the X5200.
Do you really like it, How are the new sound formats
post #9916 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
True - but being way more flexible and lighter than some of these unnecessarily heavy and thick HDMI cables, they put far less strain on the connection. I think that was Jerry's point, not that they inherently fit better.
But if anyone uses a heavy HDMi cable like that, they need to relieve the tension. They should never just let it hang down from the device. This was the case in the old days with analog cables too. Any that I have that are heavy, I tie up so there is no way any of the weight is going to pull down on the HDMI connector on the device.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9917 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

Has anyone else noticed their picture quality improving with the 4520ci? I have an Oppo 93 and it has a pretty good reputation for video but I swear my picture has never looked this sharp and clear before ...
I have the Oppo 93 and the 4520 as well. I don't think the 4520 improves the signal quality coming from the Oppo, which is already excellent. I suspect expectation bias may be playing a role, but it is nice to see your issues have been resolved and you like the picture.
post #9918 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
Do you really like it, How are the new sound formats
I love it, but I am not Atmos-ready and with my PS3 FUBAR I have not run any Blu-Rays for a while. I expect the PS3 back from repair within a couple weeks or less.

For my needs the two units are nearly equivalent. I mentioned the non-technical factors that affected my decision in a previous post. Technically, the Insta-preview in the 4520 was of limited use IMHO and I don't really miss it. The 5200 display is easier to read from below(mine is on a high shelf). Honestly I have not really encountered anything that makes me believe that either the 4250 or 5200 sounds superior to the other in any way. I don't doubt that there are improvements, but my time with these units has been short and I'm not sure the rest of my gear is up to judging the ultimate quality of an AVR at this level. There are some minor UI tweaks in the later unit but no game-changers IMO. They are both fine units that IMO anyone would be proud to own, assuming the features fit your needs.
Chise likes this.
post #9919 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_A_Anderson View Post
I love it, but I am not Atmos-ready and with my PS3 FUBAR I have not run any Blu-Rays for a while. I expect the PS3 back from repair within a couple weeks or less.

For my needs the two units are nearly equivalent. I mentioned the non-technical factors that affected my decision in a previous post. Technically, the Insta-preview in the 4520 was of limited use IMHO and I don't really miss it. The 5200 display is easier to read from below(mine is on a high shelf). Honestly I have not really encountered anything that makes me believe that either the 4250 or 5200 sounds superior to the other in any way. I don't doubt that there are improvements, but my time with these units has been short and I'm not sure the rest of my gear is up to judging the ultimate quality of an AVR at this level. There are some minor UI tweaks in the later unit but no game-changers IMO. They are both fine units that IMO anyone would be proud to own, assuming the features fit your needs.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to BB this weekend try it out again, I hope they finished the Mag. room for the 5 speaker setup they getting ready for Atmos.
post #9920 of 11099 Old 09-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have the Oppo 93 and the 4520 as well. I don't think the 4520 improves the signal quality coming from the Oppo, which is already excellent. I suspect expectation bias may be playing a role, but it is nice to see your issues have been resolved and you like the picture.
I'm afraid the truth turns out to be even more "prosaic" than expectation bias ... When I reconfigured my system I plugged the cable into HDMI 1 Out on my Oppo, instead of HDMI 2, which is how I used to have it. I had forgotten that Oppo uses two different video dacs for HDMI 1 and HDMI 2, with HDMI 1 deemed the superior of the two ... what I have discovered is that this is true. Which means the difference I'm seeing now likely has nothing to do with the Denon as you said ... Still happy with the way it sounds though ...

Last edited by Tangled Cable; 09-25-2014 at 05:00 PM.
post #9921 of 11099 Old 09-26-2014, 03:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
But if anyone uses a heavy HDMi cable like that, they need to relieve the tension. They should never just let it hang down from the device. This was the case in the old days with analog cables too. Any that I have that are heavy, I tie up so there is no way any of the weight is going to pull down on the HDMI connector on the device.
They should - but many don't. The best solution IMO is to forget these thick cables and choose something much more flexible. As long as an HDMI cable works, it works. All that matters then is that the thing is mechanically sound - decent construction, good plug etc. Having a ridiculously thick sheath serves no useful purpose and can actually damage the connectors which it is plugged in to.
post #9922 of 11099 Old 09-26-2014, 11:23 AM

While doing Audyssey calibration on my new 4520, it set the crossover settings for my front speakers (B&W CM10s) to "Full Band" and also, it set the speakers to "Large". Can anyone let me know what does it mean? Did I do it wrong? Anything I need to change or re-calibrate?
post #9923 of 11099 Old 09-26-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
While doing Audyssey calibration on my new 4520, it set the crossover settings for my front speakers (B&W CM10s) to "Full Band" and also, it set the speakers to "Large". Can anyone let me know what does it mean? Did I do it wrong? Anything I need to change or re-calibrate?
It means that according to Audyssey's measurements, your speakers are capable of playing bass down to 40Hz or below, and as such the processor decided not to enable bass management. The Large/Small setting is the bass management off/on switch. So "Large" means no bass management, and thus there is no crossover but rather a "Full Band" signal being sent to the speakers. Nothing will be redirected to the subwoofer.

Best practice is to override the setting manually and reset them to "Small", which will then default to a 40Hz crossover. If you wish, you can experiment with raising the crossover a bit (up to 60 or even 80 Hz) so that more bass is redirected to the subwoofer(s).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9924 of 11099 Old 09-26-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It means that according to Audyssey's measurements, your speakers are capable of playing bass down to 40Hz or below, and as such the processor decided not to enable bass management. The Large/Small setting is the bass management off/on switch. So "Large" means no bass management, and thus there is no crossover but rather a "Full Band" signal being sent to the speakers. Nothing will be redirected to the subwoofer.

Best practice is to override the setting manually and reset them to "Small", which will then default to a 40Hz crossover. If you wish, you can experiment with raising the crossover a bit (up to 60 or even 80 Hz) so that more bass is redirected to the subwoofer(s).
Thanks batpig, I will try this out. Also, it had set my surround speakers too to "Large" which are my small ceiling speakers. What will be idle crossovers for these (B&W CCM 683s)??

Also, what should be bass settings (LFE) for subwoofers...I see people talking about either 80Hz or 120Hz...which is optimum setting, if I have to feel every explosion, gun shots etc. creating a very tight impact.
post #9925 of 11099 Old 09-26-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Check this out:

c)3. I have big tower speakers at the front. Shouldn't I set these to Large'?

c)4. Is it OK to change the Crossovers from Audyssey's recommendation?
post #9926 of 11099 Old 09-26-2014, 02:02 PM

Thanks kbarnes...this is good info, I will go over it
post #9927 of 11099 Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Just when I thought my issues were resolved ... the Denon will pass a 2D signal no problem, but I just tried a 3D signal and the picture and sound kept cutting in and out like crazy ... My blu-ray player puts out a 3D signal directly to the projector no problem ... somehow the signal going through the Denon doesn't produce a good handshake with my projector ... What could be the problem?
post #9928 of 11099 Old 09-26-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
As I mentioned earlier, I have the BDP93 and the 4520. I can play 3D content flawlessly. So my conclusion would be that there is a cable issue somewhere. If you are having so many issues, why not route HDMI1 from the Oppo directly to the PJ, and HDMI2 to the AVR?
post #9929 of 11099 Old 09-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Because I would eventually like to hook up my PS3 for some 3D gaming with HDMI audio ... As you know the Oppo will let me run separate HDMI audio and video signals, but the ps3 won't ... part of the reason I bought the denon was so I could do this.

EDIT: What is the latest Denon firmware? Mine is listed as 3325-1532-1375.

EDIT AGAIN: Ah, I see from looking up that number that my Denon's firmware has in fact never been updated ... Is the only way to do so hooking it up to a cable? No wifi, right?

Last edited by Tangled Cable; 09-26-2014 at 11:32 PM.
post #9930 of 11099 Old 09-27-2014, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem with noise that my 4520 produces. After some testing I found out that it depends on wether the input is a PCM or a Dolby Digital signal. Here is what`s happening:
Let`s say my input comes from CD, Sat Receiver, BluRay Player or whatever. Let`s say, it`s a PCM signal, which you can verify in the Denon`s setup>information>Audio. Then I either set my signal source (CD or whatever) to "pause" or "mute" (or you just take a VERY silent part of music, but then you have to be careful, if all of a sudden the music gets loud!) and set the Denon`s volume to maximum. In this case I get rather annoying noise out of all speakers. Especially if I use a sound program like DTS NEO:X, Dolby PL2z/x or whatever. BUT, if I do the same with a Dolby Digital signal, I don`t get any noise with the Denon set to maximum volume.

Second noise problem: If the Denon get`s so hot that its fan starts, I get VERY loud noise (about as loud as a hair fan) from the speakers. If I then press "pause" or "mute" on the source (CD player or whatever), the Denon gets cooler. In this case, the noise from the speakers gets quieter. During the seconds, when it gets quieter, you can hear some strange clicking out of the speakers. This clicking sounds very similar to the clicking that I can hear, when I adjust the Denons volume. I`ve already heard from other users that they also noticed the clicking when they adjust the volume. In some cases, it does not do any clicking when you adjust the volume. I don`t know when or when not, however.
When I first heard that loud noise, I thought I would hear the fan! But in fact, the noise comes out of the speakers (and of course also from the fan itself, but that`s okay).

Can some of you guys test, if your 4520 behaves the same?
Those are 2 separate problems, I guess. In the first case, you just have to input PCM and then Dolby Digital and set the Denon`s volume to max. Do you get noise with PCM and no noise with Dolby Digital?
For testing the second problem, you just have to listen to multichannel music VERY loud. This will heat up the Denon faster then movie audio tracks, because the music seems to come out more out of all channels then movie tracks. Then "pause" or "mute" the source (CD or whatever), set the Denon`s volume to max and listen, wether there is loud noise out of the speakers, which gets less loud after about 10-20 seconds. It`s as loud as a hair fan on my Denon.
Can the fan interfere with other electronic parts and so the Denon`s electronics produces noise?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page