The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 333 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9961 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM
Member
 
Floran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
if its sub $800...I say yes

though I have to tell you I had the 4310 and I was not a fan....keep that in mind

Warren
Thanks Warren,


Did you notice a considerable improvement in sound quality moving up to the 4520, or was it a rather subtle one?
Floran is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9962 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cchunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floran View Post
Thanks Warren,


Did you notice a considerable improvement in sound quality moving up to the 4520, or was it a rather subtle one?
I had the 3312 before getting the 4520 and the improvement was huge. I didn't expect there to be that much of a difference. In fact at reference volumes with my Klipsch RF7II's its crystal clear. With the 3312 it started getting sloppy when pushed and I'm sure that's because of the more go go juice the 4520 has and the fact its able to handle the impedance dips of the 7II's. XT32 is night and day better compared to the Audyssey XT. I'm really enjoying this AVR. No complaints so far and really don't feel I need an external amp anymore.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
cchunter is offline  
post #9963 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretnuh View Post
Hello!

I haven't been here for a while. I have a 4520 receiver, that I bought back in the days when they were over $2000. Never-the-less, it has served me well.

Here's my dilemma: I am getting some new Magico S1 speakers for the two fronts. Very nice speakers, with a sensitivity of 86 dB and 4 ohms.

I was in a different audio store today, thinking about upgrading my sub, and the salesman in there said he didn't think that the Denon would be able to run the speakers well. He had a Classe CA 5200 demo that was reduced.

So here are my questions:

1. Would the Denon be able to run the speakers without too much strain? I don't shake the house, but sometimes play a little louder.

2. Would there be an audible difference with the Classe? I am aware of the Richard Clark amplifier challenge that suggests people cannot tell the difference between amplifiers when they are run below clipping levels.

Thanks so much.
Since you say you're replacing fronts I assume you are using in a 5.1 or greater setup?
If it was a 2 channel only, you would be able to get by with the Denon and no separate amp.
I would try it with the Denon at first either way and upgrade to an amp if not happy.
If you are using in a 5.1 setup, I'm curious what you're planning on using for a center channel?
Good luck. Awesome speakers.
laserjock II is offline  
post #9964 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM
Member
 
Wretnuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Since you say you're replacing fronts I assume you are using in a 5.1 or greater setup?
If it was a 2 channel only, you would be able to get by with the Denon and no separate amp.
I would try it with the Denon at first either way and upgrade to an amp if not happy.
If you are using in a 5.1 setup, I'm curious what you're planning on using for a center channel?
Good luck. Awesome speakers.
I do have a 5.1 set-up currently. For the Magicos the matching center channel is silly expensive ($18,000), so I go a Pioneer S-7EX on closeout for $2000. It is an Andrew Jones TAD design. It has a beryllium tweeter, and I've been told it is a good match for a center for the Magicos. Hopefully that is correct, but either way, probably a risk worth taking compared with the Magico center. The main area I want the Magicos to shine is stereo music anyway.

My other concern is my sub. I have a Velodyne HGS-10 that is about 15 years old now. It seems fine, but I've debated upgrading to a JL Audio F 110 or 112. Again, difficult to know the cost/benefit ratio.

Thanks for you answer.

And to Nightlord: the clipping/distortion issue is my main concern with the 150 WPC Denon. The salesman said that with the Classe I would notice a huge sound improvement even at low volumes. I'm not so sure about that.

Last edited by Wretnuh; Yesterday at 08:50 AM.
Wretnuh is online now  
post #9965 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Member
 
Wretnuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I’d love to see their frequency response graphs and polar responses etc - at that price those measurements must be something very special.
I haven't seen the frequency response curves on the Magico S1. I did see a thread in a different forum that said that the "big brother" to the S1 (the Magico S5) titled "Magico S5 measurements: lowest distortion level ever measured by Soundstage"


http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-by-Soundstage

Hopefully some of that bleeds over to the S1.
Wretnuh is online now  
post #9966 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,207
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretnuh View Post
I haven't seen the frequency response curves on the Magico S1. I did see a thread in a different forum that said that the "big brother" to the S1 (the Magico S5) titled "Magico S5 measurements: lowest distortion level ever measured by Soundstage"


http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-by-Soundstage

Hopefully some of that bleeds over to the S1.
Thanks - impressive.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbarnes701 is offline  
post #9967 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nightlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Sweden
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretnuh View Post
And to Nightlord: the clipping/distortion issue is my main concern with the 150 WPC Denon. The salesman said that with the Classe I would notice a huge sound improvement even at low volumes. I'm not so sure about that.
Most of the notice would be due to the money spent and seeing that huge thing in your setup. . After that it would probably be most noticed during long bass passages, that they keep their level instead of dropping off a bit. If anything more would be noticable, then I would worry about the Classé not being neutral in character.

Under construction:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nightlord is offline  
post #9968 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM
Member
 
Wretnuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Most of the notice would be due to the money spent and seeing that huge thing in your setup. . After that it would probably be most noticed during long bass passages, that they keep their level instead of dropping off a bit. If anything more would be noticable, then I would worry about the Classé not being neutral in character.
I sure think I agree with you.

And with the advances being made in smaller Class D Amps, I wouldn't be surprised if behemoth heavy amps slowly become obsolete.

I don't know if you have read anything about the new Devialet amps that a couple of reviewers consider the most impressive AV component to come out in the recent past. They are sleek, run cool, and apparently sound great.


http://www.soundstageultra.com/index...inion-menu/494

http://www.stereophile.com/content/d...ated-amplifier
Wretnuh is online now  
post #9969 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nightlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Sweden
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretnuh View Post
I sure think I agree with you.

And with the advances being made in smaller Class D Amps, I wouldn't be surprised if behemoth heavy amps slowly become obsolete.

I don't know if you have read anything about the new Devialet amps that a couple of reviewers consider the most impressive AV component to come out in the recent past. They are sleek, run cool, and apparently sound great.
Thanks.

Class D is getting there, but is still a way off. I do have a Pioneer receiver in my tv-room with B&O modules in it that's decent enough, but in general the high range of class D has still some way to go, but give it a decade more. For sub amps, it's probably here already.


I (unfortunately) read some quite non-flattering reviews of Devialet after the last Gothenburg show from people I trust, so I think the initial dazzle is wearing off. It's probably still an impressive machine for it's size, it's cool and a very nice remote, but too hyped.

( Unfortunately because I think there's too little really good stuff around, so anything counted out from that is a loss.)

(Note - I have no idea what is the difference between new and old Devialet, if there is any)

Under construction:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nightlord is offline  
post #9970 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floran View Post
Thanks Warren,


Did you notice a considerable improvement in sound quality moving up to the 4520, or was it a rather subtle one?
the short answer is yes

though again..I was not a fan of the 4310 and its been three years since I sold it
at the time I highly preferred the Onkyo 875 to the denon 4310


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #9971 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
Member
 
Glock3540's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Just outside Nashville
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm not really in the "audiophile world" but I can tell you that I listen to Multi Channel Music Very Loud on occasion.
This is my 3rd (or is it 4th) Denon and I could send them all into protection mode, after extended play, from heat.
The tops of the units became much too hot to place your hand on. They were all sitting in the "open air" (not in a cabinet of any kind) but still would overheat.
After adding several Emotiva Amps and now having my 4520ci power only my heights and wides, it runs only warm to the touch. I have fairly efficient speakers too (94dB to 96dB) but I still need a lot of power to get it as loud as I like it. I've sent my Pro Style sub amp (An MQ-600 powering 2 CHT 18.2's) into protection mode only once, when I was breaking in my subs this past spring.
I think the internal amplifier channels of the 4520 are very good but some of us like external amps to insure my receiver does not go into protection mode. Even at moderate sound levels it keeps the receiver much cooler and I think electronics that run cooler will last longer.
Not intending to step on any toes, just my .02.

Thanks,Brian

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
Glock3540 is online now  
post #9972 of 9990 Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock3540 View Post
I'm not really in the "audiophile world" but I can tell you that I listen to Multi Channel Music Very Loud on occasion.
This is my 3rd (or is it 4th) Denon and I could send them all into protection mode, after extended play, from heat.
The tops of the units became much too hot to place your hand on. They were all sitting in the "open air" (not in a cabinet of any kind) but still would overheat.
After adding several Emotiva Amps and now having my 4520ci power only my heights and wides, it runs only warm to the touch. I have fairly efficient speakers too (94dB to 96dB) but I still need a lot of power to get it as loud as I like it. I've sent my Pro Style sub amp (An MQ-600 powering 2 CHT 18.2's) into protection mode only once, when I was breaking in my subs this past spring.
I think the internal amplifier channels of the 4520 are very good but some of us like external amps to insure my receiver does not go into protection mode. Even at moderate sound levels it keeps the receiver much cooler and I think electronics that run cooler will last longer.
Not intending to step on any toes, just my .02.

Thanks,Brian
4 ohms speakers?
laserjock II is offline  
post #9973 of 9990 Old Today, 04:04 AM
Newbie
 
steven13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
I sent PCM to the 4520 from a CD on the Oppo 103. I engaged Pl2X music.
It worked.
I only ran the volume to 0 DB with the CD paused.
At this point I have not enough time to do much more.
I haven't even been able to sit and listen to anything for pleasure for well over a month.


I can tell you this, what you are relating is not normal (in my own experience, nor in anything I have read online). Not much point in having others go through the exercise... I think.


BTW, when you refer to hairfan, is that what might be called a hair dryer?
If so, they are loud. Listed as 80 to 90 DB. Mine measures 86 DB a weighted at one meter. If your noise is truly this loud.. the 4520 need help!


If it bothers you, (that level of noise and not being able to use Dolby PLIIX or Neo 6 it would bother me) I would look into getting it fixed.


Have you tried a full reset of the microprocessor?

Can you and Doognam do one additional test, please?


Just turn the volume up and down (either directly on the Denon or via remote control) and listen, if you hear clicks out of the speakers. In my case, I can hear a clicking during changing the volume, IF the input is PCM. If the input is Dolby Digital I do not hear any clicking. The clicking is louder, if I use the remote control.
I know that I`ve read from other users that they also heard that clicking during changing of volume.
steven13 is offline  
post #9974 of 9990 Old Today, 10:12 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven13 View Post
Can you and Doognam do one additional test, please?


Just turn the volume up and down (either directly on the Denon or via remote control) and listen, if you hear clicks out of the speakers. In my case, I can hear a clicking during changing the volume, IF the input is PCM. If the input is Dolby Digital I do not hear any clicking. The clicking is louder, if I use the remote control.
I know that I`ve read from other users that they also heard that clicking during changing of volume.

Tested pcm from HR44 to 4520. Adjusted volume and there is "no" clicking or any other unusual sound.
rlb is online now  
post #9975 of 9990 Old Today, 10:16 AM
Member
 
evoryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven13 View Post
Can you and Doognam do one additional test, please?


Just turn the volume up and down (either directly on the Denon or via remote control) and listen, if you hear clicks out of the speakers. In my case, I can hear a clicking during changing the volume, IF the input is PCM. If the input is Dolby Digital I do not hear any clicking. The clicking is louder, if I use the remote control.
I know that I`ve read from other users that they also heard that clicking during changing of volume.
I have noticed that mine also clicks as it goes up and down when you hold the volume button. If you go in steps it does not. It's not really bothersome to me, but I have noticed it was odd.
evoryder is offline  
post #9976 of 9990 Old Today, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Mine clicks if I hold down the volume button on the remote.
Schwa is online now  
post #9977 of 9990 Old Today, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock3540 View Post
I'm not really in the "audiophile world" but I can tell you that I listen to Multi Channel Music Very Loud on occasion.
This is my 3rd (or is it 4th) Denon and I could send them all into protection mode, after extended play, from heat.
The tops of the units became much too hot to place your hand on. They were all sitting in the "open air" (not in a cabinet of any kind) but still would overheat.
After adding several Emotiva Amps and now having my 4520ci power only my heights and wides, it runs only warm to the touch. I have fairly efficient speakers too (94dB to 96dB) but I still need a lot of power to get it as loud as I like it. I've sent my Pro Style sub amp (An MQ-600 powering 2 CHT 18.2's) into protection mode only once, when I was breaking in my subs this past spring.
I think the internal amplifier channels of the 4520 are very good but some of us like external amps to insure my receiver does not go into protection mode. Even at moderate sound levels it keeps the receiver much cooler and I think electronics that run cooler will last longer.
Not intending to step on any toes, just my .02.

Thanks,Brian

Wow - I've never gotten my 4520 ( or previous 4310 ) to go into protection mode. You don't say what the size of your room is - mine isn't huge ( 388 square feet, 3547 cubic feet ). I did add a 2 channel amp to be able to use 11 channels. I've found it plenty loud without even reaching reference level settings ( which is where most guest cry Uncle and say turn it down ). Even with my 4 ohm martin Logan Motion series speakers, it never gets too warm ( never hot ).

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #9978 of 9990 Old Today, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
the short answer is yes

though again..I was not a fan of the 4310 and its been three years since I sold it
at the time I highly preferred the Onkyo 875 to the denon 4310


Warren
Wow I changed from the 875 to the 4520 and the change seems huge. Not sure why unless the Audyssey XT32 is that much superior to the reg Audyssey XT for the 875. the WPC is not that much more on the Denon.

I did love the 875 until I upgraded my speakers
AVSF458 is offline  
post #9979 of 9990 Old Today, 12:35 PM
Newbie
 
steven13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Mine clicks if I hold down the volume button on the remote.
Does it also click, if the source is Dolby Digital or only with PCM?
steven13 is offline  
post #9980 of 9990 Old Today, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven13 View Post
Does it also click, if the source is Dolby Digital or only with PCM?
I don't know of the top of my head. Not to be rude, but who cares? I think that there's enough anecdotal evidence out there that suggests the clicking is expected behavior; besides, is it really something you'd bother repairing the receiver over?
Schwa is online now  
post #9981 of 9990 Old Today, 01:51 PM
Newbie
 
steven13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I don't know of the top of my head. Not to be rude, but who cares? I think that there's enough anecdotal evidence out there that suggests the clicking is expected behavior; besides, is it really something you'd bother repairing the receiver over?
The reason I ask is, because I have another problem with my Denon: It produces some strange noise with PCM sources and I wanted to find out, if the clicking has to do something with it. If you read some posts back, I wrote something about that noise. Maybe you want try that also and see, if you also get that noise.
steven13 is offline  
post #9982 of 9990 Old Today, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven13 View Post
The reason I ask is, because I have another problem with my Denon: It produces some strange noise with PCM sources and I wanted to find out, if the clicking has to do something with it. If you read some posts back, I wrote something about that noise. Maybe you want try that also and see, if you also get that noise.
Fair enough. For what it's worth, I usually stream PCM music from my Apple TV to the 4520 and I've never noticed any strange noises.

Oh, hang on, I've read your "noise" posts previously. Yes, if I engage DPLIIx decoding with a stereo PCM signal, hit pause, and crank the volume to its maximum, I hear some hiss from my speakers. I have very sensitive speakers (Klipsch all the way around) and what I'm hearing is simply the noise floor of the receiver. Again, who cares? If I ever listened to my receiver at maximum volume I think it would quite literally make my ears bleed. In any normal use scenario, including VERY loud listening, I cannot hear any noise over the sounds of the recording or the recording's own noise floor. My other receivers perform similarly; i.e. I detect slight hiss at very, very high volumes when no signal is being played back.

I suspect you might be going out of the way to find problems with your unit. I've been guilty of the same thing in the past, but you need to ask yourself whether any of the problems you're discovering actually affect the performance of your receiver during normal use cases. If not, there's likely not anything wrong with your Denon.

Last edited by Schwa; Today at 02:07 PM.
Schwa is online now  
post #9983 of 9990 Old Today, 02:29 PM
Newbie
 
steven13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Fair enough. For what it's worth, I usually stream PCM music from my Apple TV to the 4520 and I've never noticed any strange noises.

Oh, hang on, I've read your "noise" posts previously. Yes, if I engage DPLIIx decoding with a stereo PCM signal, hit pause, and crank the volume to its maximum, I hear some hiss from my speakers. I have very sensitive speakers (Klipsch all the way around) and what I'm hearing is simply the noise floor of the receiver. Again, who cares? If I ever listened to my receiver at maximum volume I think it would quite literally make my ears bleed. In any normal use scenario, including VERY loud listening, I cannot hear any noise over the sounds of the recording or the recording's own noise floor. My other receivers perform similarly; i.e. I detect slight hiss at very, very high volumes when no signal is being played back.

I suspect you might be going out of the way to find problems with your unit. I've been guilty of the same thing in the past, but you need to ask yourself whether any of the problems you're discovering actually affect the performance of your receiver during normal use cases. If not, there's likely not anything wrong with your Denon.
Schwa , thanks for testing. Can you do the same test with a Dolby Digital signal? My Denon produces nearly zero noise then, but the noise with a PCM source is rather high. I can easily hear it at about 70db volume from where I sit to listen to music. It is louder with a PCM source at volume70 than with a Dolby Digital source at max volume.
steven13 is offline  
post #9984 of 9990 Old Today, 07:24 PM
Member
 
Glock3540's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Just outside Nashville
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
4 ohms speakers?
6 ohms on the mains and the center, 8 ohms on everything else.
I just realized I made an error. The mains are in fact 96 dB efficient but the other
8 speakers (heights, wides, side and rear surrounds) are only 92 dB efficient. Still pretty easy to drive but as I stated, I like it loud sometimes.
I turn it down when I start to smell "electronics" smoke (typically crossover capacitors starting to overheat but I have had resistors burn up also). It is so clean and loud that you have to be careful.I know that distortion is really what hurts your ears from lower end receivers/amps that are turned up so loud that they start to clip but it can also hurt your ears from just high dB levels alone. My A/V room is appx 15' x 25' with 11' ceilings and it sounds like a rock concert in here sometimes. Stuff on the walls rattling (even with the bass turned way down using Audyssey calibration), BluRays in the closet vibrating off the shelves. A close friend of mine showed up to my last "Movie Night" a little late (In fact, I'm having 6 or 8 friends over this friday night for rib eyes, baked potatoes and watching "Lone Survivor"). We had already started watching the movie and he said when he got out of his car in my driveway, he heard the front gutters vibrating/rattling. lol.
I know that there are some extremely knowledgeable people on AVS so I hesitate sometimes to share how I like to listen to music and watch movies for fear of being ridiculed but what the heck.., everyone is different.

I hope to have discretionary funds available in the next 90 days to buy 4 more 18" passive sealed subs along with another pro style amp. I think I'm appx 75% where I want the bass to be and I think these subs will get me the rest of the way to my goal. My speakers are plenty loud. My mains are rated for 150W but I routinely feed them many times that amount. I don't think I can handle them being any/much louder anyway. When listening to some great jazz like Jackiem Joyner's "I'm Waiting For You" or maybe some Norah Jones, It sounds so real it gives you goose bumps. You can sit in one of my recliners, close your eyes and it is almost a spiritual experience.
I live near, and work in Nashville Tennessee. As you can imagine, every other person here sings or plays some sort of instrument. I used to work with a guy that is actually in the rock and roll hall of fame. (you would be surprised what kind of jobs some of these guys had before they made it big). Another friend, that will be here on friday night, has won several Dove Awards and is famous in the Christian Music world (he used to sing back up for Elvis in Vegas back in the day!) The live music here is second to none. My system, with well recorded music, comes very close to "live".

My current system will most likely be the best I will ever have (I'm 52 yrs old. In 10 or 20 years I will probably be content with whatever speakers come with the TV that I happen to own at the time!). A couple of months ago, after extended multi channel iTunes listening, my ears were ringing pretty good. This was kind of "normal" for me but it usually subsides in a day or two. In this case, my left ear rang for several weeks. I thought I had permanent hearing damage. It finally came back (or at least 95%+) but it did scare me a little.
I have listened to loud/very loud music for 30+ years but that was the first time I had it wait that long before my left ear hearing came back. Age catches up with all of us. People have told me for decades that I was going to damage my hearing but I never had many issues. I believed (and still do) that clean loud is so much easier on your ears than distorted sound.

Sorry to ramble on but in closing I will say; In doing research and auditioning many high end systems (McIntosh, Krell, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Revox, Theta, Anthem, etc, as well as many high end speakers),I can say without question that I cannot tell much/any audio difference in quality amplifiers. I personally could tell a Big Difference in speakers. The Denon AVR-4520 is an incredibly good sounding piece of equipment. In my humble opinion, it rivals much more expensive "separates". In fact, I would say most people in a blind test could not tell the difference in this unit and some equipment that costs many times what this 4520 costs. Again, not trying to step on any toes, but I know in my personal experience, when I have purchased something that cost thousands of dollars, I WANTED it to sound much better than what I was replacing but in fact sometimes there was very little, if any, difference. I think technology like Audyssey does make a big difference but amplifiers, not so much. If you don't listen to insane levels like I sometimes do, I think the internal amplification of the 4520 will more than please 90+% of the people that purchase it. If you decide you want external amplification, well, that will put a smile on your face also...

Thanks Everyone for letting me share. Doing research on this site, as well as a few others, have helped me greatly in the selection of various equipment and getting the most bang for my buck.
Blessings,Brian

P.S. I may be a neophyte when compared to some of the Extremely Knowledgeable people on AVS but this is just a hobby. When talking guns and weapons, I can hold my own with just about anyone...

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
Glock3540 is online now  
post #9985 of 9990 Old Today, 08:06 PM
Member
 
Glock3540's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Just outside Nashville
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Wow - I've never gotten my 4520 ( or previous 4310 ) to go into protection mode. You don't say what the size of your room is - mine isn't huge ( 388 square feet, 3547 cubic feet ). I did add a 2 channel amp to be able to use 11 channels. I've found it plenty loud without even reaching reference level settings ( which is where most guest cry Uncle and say turn it down ). Even with my 4 ohm martin Logan Motion series speakers, it never gets too warm ( never hot ).
Wow!,
I auditioned a pair of Martin Logan's powered by a pair of Mark Levinson amps. I don't remember the model number of the speakers or the amps but the speakers were appx 6' or so tall. If memory serves me, a James Taylor CD was playing. They were one of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. They caused me to do much research on ribbon speakers. They actually sounded slightly more "real" or "lifelike" than my speakers but they would not go quite as loud as I like it. They were beautiful speakers, a real work of art. I put the looks alone in the art quality type speakers like the Avantegarde Trio or the B&W Nautilus.

Don't you just love 11 channel amplification?! I have friends with 5.1/7.1(as I did too with some of my previous systems) that say they read that heights and wides do not make much of a difference but I think they take the listening experience to another level. They agree when they actually come over and listen. ESPECIALLY, during a movie, when a helicopter or a plane flies over and you duck a little, or my favorite; Rain. It seems so real during a rain scene, you tend to squint your eyes when looking up thinking you will get water in your eyes! lol!
With multi channel music it makes a difference too. When my wife and I sometimes dance (I know, I'm a dancing Baptist!), the music sounds just as good when seated or standing. In fact, in my room, no matter where you walk around to, the music sounds spectacular! In some of my past systems, the electronic sound "modes", or whatever they are called, made the music sound so synthetic. I know the 2 channel guys will vehemently disagree with me but whoever designed/created the Multi Channel music mode was a genius!

Glad you are enjoying your system with your external amp. When most people add a 2 channel amp, they power their "mains". I agree with that to some extent, but me not being one that just "follow what someone else said", I actually have my most powerful amp on my center speaker.
I figured with 60-70% of the sound in a movie coming from the center speaker, why not power it so it can really shine. I could not find a center speaker that I was totally satisfied with. I toyed with having 2 or more center speakers but was never happy with the potential odd sound. I ended up making kind of a hybrid. I took an Infinity P-fr (one of the most under appreciated speakers of all time) and removed the tower from the bass module. I turned it up on it's side and hung it over the top of my TV. I spliced a wire from it and ran it to the bass module that I hid behind my TV. My CENTER Speaker has 4 large midranges, 2 small midranges, a tweeter and a powered 12 woofer!
The woofer has it's own internal amp (as do all of my speakers) so my 700-800 watt mono block powers just the midranges and tweeter! It really does sound fantastic!

I may upgrade if ATMOS (or whatever it is called) sounds as good as advertised but I WILL NOT
"upgrade" unless Denon keeps the 11.1/2 capability on the new unit.

Enjoy your system.

Blessings, Brian

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
Glock3540 is online now  
post #9986 of 9990 Old Today, 08:09 PM
Member
 
Wretnuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reassurance of giving the Denon a go with my new Magicos.

This is also my third Denon receiver and I've never once been in protection mode.

Holy moley you must know how to crank up that volume!
Wretnuh is online now  
post #9987 of 9990 Old Today, 08:12 PM
Member
 
Floran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Wow - I've never gotten my 4520 ( or previous 4310 ) to go into protection mode
Wow - so you had both the 4310 and the 4520 models. In your opinion, how do they compare SQ - wise?
TIA,
- Floran
Floran is online now  
post #9988 of 9990 Old Today, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tangled Cable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I suspect you might be going out of the way to find problems with your unit. I've been guilty of the same thing in the past, but you need to ask yourself whether any of the problems you're discovering actually affect the performance of your receiver during normal use cases. If not, there's likely not anything wrong with your Denon.
This.

We've all been there. Something about this hobby can make you a little neurotic.
Tangled Cable is online now  
post #9989 of 9990 Old Today, 08:19 PM
Member
 
Dave_A_Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
This.

We've all been there. Something about this hobby can make you a little neurotic.

Or attract the neurotic.
Dave_A_Anderson is online now  
post #9990 of 9990 Old Today, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tangled Cable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes, that as well. I've often thought that it is all about control. A home theater represents a space where we have or can attempt to have complete control over the lighting, sound, image, etc. The "outside" world can not be controlled or calibrated, or "perfected."
Tangled Cable is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off