post #9961 of 9970 Old Today, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
if its sub $800...I say yes

though I have to tell you I had the 4310 and I was not a fan....keep that in mind

Warren
Thanks Warren,

Did you notice a considerable improvement in sound quality moving up to the 4520, or was it a rather subtle one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 9970 Old Today, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floran View Post
Thanks Warren,

Did you notice a considerable improvement in sound quality moving up to the 4520, or was it a rather subtle one?
I had the 3312 before getting the 4520 and the improvement was huge. I didn't expect there to be that much of a difference. In fact at reference volumes with my Klipsch RF7II's its crystal clear. With the 3312 it started getting sloppy when pushed and I'm sure that's because of the more go go juice the 4520 has and the fact its able to handle the impedance dips of the 7II's. XT32 is night and day better compared to the Audyssey XT. I'm really enjoying this AVR. No complaints so far and really don't feel I need an external amp anymore.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #9963 of 9970 Old Today, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretnuh View Post
Hello!

I haven't been here for a while. I have a 4520 receiver, that I bought back in the days when they were over $2000. Never-the-less, it has served me well.

Here's my dilemma: I am getting some new Magico S1 speakers for the two fronts. Very nice speakers, with a sensitivity of 86 dB and 4 ohms.

I was in a different audio store today, thinking about upgrading my sub, and the salesman in there said he didn't think that the Denon would be able to run the speakers well. He had a Classe CA 5200 demo that was reduced.

So here are my questions:

1. Would the Denon be able to run the speakers without too much strain? I don't shake the house, but sometimes play a little louder.

2. Would there be an audible difference with the Classe? I am aware of the Richard Clark amplifier challenge that suggests people cannot tell the difference between amplifiers when they are run below clipping levels.

Thanks so much.
Since you say you're replacing fronts I assume you are using in a 5.1 or greater setup?
If it was a 2 channel only, you would be able to get by with the Denon and no separate amp.
I would try it with the Denon at first either way and upgrade to an amp if not happy.
If you are using in a 5.1 setup, I'm curious what you're planning on using for a center channel?
Good luck. Awesome speakers.
post #9964 of 9970 Old Today, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Since you say you're replacing fronts I assume you are using in a 5.1 or greater setup?
If it was a 2 channel only, you would be able to get by with the Denon and no separate amp.
I would try it with the Denon at first either way and upgrade to an amp if not happy.
If you are using in a 5.1 setup, I'm curious what you're planning on using for a center channel?
Good luck. Awesome speakers.
I do have a 5.1 set-up currently. For the Magicos the matching center channel is silly expensive ($18,000), so I go a Pioneer S-7EX on closeout for $2000. It is an Andrew Jones TAD design. It has a beryllium tweeter, and I've been told it is a good match for a center for the Magicos. Hopefully that is correct, but either way, probably a risk worth taking compared with the Magico center. The main area I want the Magicos to shine is stereo music anyway.

My other concern is my sub. I have a Velodyne HGS-10 that is about 15 years old now. It seems fine, but I've debated upgrading to a JL Audio F 110 or 112. Again, difficult to know the cost/benefit ratio.

Thanks for you answer.

And to Nightlord: the clipping/distortion issue is my main concern with the 150 WPC Denon. The salesman said that with the Classe I would notice a huge sound improvement even at low volumes. I'm not so sure about that.

Last edited by Wretnuh; Today at 08:50 AM.
post #9965 of 9970 Old Today, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I’d love to see their frequency response graphs and polar responses etc - at that price those measurements must be something very special.
I haven't seen the frequency response curves on the Magico S1. I did see a thread in a different forum that said that the "big brother" to the S1 (the Magico S5) titled "Magico S5 measurements: lowest distortion level ever measured by Soundstage"

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-by-Soundstage

Hopefully some of that bleeds over to the S1.
post #9966 of 9970 Old Today, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Quote:
I haven't seen the frequency response curves on the Magico S1. I did see a thread in a different forum that said that the "big brother" to the S1 (the Magico S5) titled "Magico S5 measurements: lowest distortion level ever measured by Soundstage"

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-by-Soundstage

Hopefully some of that bleeds over to the S1.
Thanks - impressive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9967 of 9970 Old Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
And to Nightlord: the clipping/distortion issue is my main concern with the 150 WPC Denon. The salesman said that with the Classe I would notice a huge sound improvement even at low volumes. I'm not so sure about that.
Most of the notice would be due to the money spent and seeing that huge thing in your setup. . After that it would probably be most noticed during long bass passages, that they keep their level instead of dropping off a bit. If anything more would be noticable, then I would worry about the Classé not being neutral in character.

Under construction:
post #9968 of 9970 Old Today, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Most of the notice would be due to the money spent and seeing that huge thing in your setup. . After that it would probably be most noticed during long bass passages, that they keep their level instead of dropping off a bit. If anything more would be noticable, then I would worry about the Classé not being neutral in character.
I sure think I agree with you.

And with the advances being made in smaller Class D Amps, I wouldn't be surprised if behemoth heavy amps slowly become obsolete.

I don't know if you have read anything about the new Devialet amps that a couple of reviewers consider the most impressive AV component to come out in the recent past. They are sleek, run cool, and apparently sound great.

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index...inion-menu/494

http://www.stereophile.com/content/d...ated-amplifier
post #9969 of 9970 Old Today, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
I sure think I agree with you.

And with the advances being made in smaller Class D Amps, I wouldn't be surprised if behemoth heavy amps slowly become obsolete.

I don't know if you have read anything about the new Devialet amps that a couple of reviewers consider the most impressive AV component to come out in the recent past. They are sleek, run cool, and apparently sound great.
Thanks.

Class D is getting there, but is still a way off. I do have a Pioneer receiver in my tv-room with B&O modules in it that's decent enough, but in general the high range of class D has still some way to go, but give it a decade more. For sub amps, it's probably here already.

I (unfortunately) read some quite non-flattering reviews of Devialet after the last Gothenburg show from people I trust, so I think the initial dazzle is wearing off. It's probably still an impressive machine for it's size, it's cool and a very nice remote, but too hyped.

( Unfortunately because I think there's too little really good stuff around, so anything counted out from that is a loss.)

(Note - I have no idea what is the difference between new and old Devialet, if there is any)

Under construction:
post #9970 of 9970 Old Today, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floran View Post
Thanks Warren,

the short answer is yes

though again..I was not a fan of the 4310 and its been three years since I sold it
at the time I highly preferred the Onkyo 875 to the denon 4310

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page