The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 343 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10261 of 10263 Old Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I had an audyssey pro cal from chad b, before and after graphs were very helpful in that, just like a display cal.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10262 of 10263 Old Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I had an audyssey pro cal from chad b, before and after graphs were very helpful in that, just like a display cal.
Just to be clear, the Audyssey's Pro "Certificate", which shows before and after graphs, can be a bit misleading. The after graph is an interpolation of the expected response after applying the Audyssey filters, not an actual room measurement. In my experience using actual REW measurements after a calibration, the certificate graphs are revealed to not always be accurate. Besides, the certificates are presented with 1/3 smoothing, which masks most of the room response issues anyway.
post #10263 of 10263 Old Today, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
I don't doubt the benefits of measuring room response to improve sound quality, that wasn't my point. I was simply saying that today's Audyssey equipped receivers already contain the necessary software and hardware to do exactly that. I am just wondering why they don't make the option of a "before Audyssey correction" graph on-screen. It should be very simple to have that capability, especially on the higher-end models that use XT32 such as the 4520.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Let's make sure you understand the "EQ" charts you are referencing, located in the Audyssey setup area in the menu, sub-section "View Results". These charts provide a rough approximation of the correction being applied by the Audyssey filters. They do NOT represent "after" measurements and, IMO, are marginally useful.
It is worth pointing out that the Audyssey EQ graphs in the "Results Check" section of the GUI are in a way a "before correction" graph. What they literally show is the correction being applied, so (assuming you are looking at the EQ graphs for the "Flat" curve) the "before correction" response should essentially be the inverse of the correction graph.

That said, as Jerry implies these graphs should be taken with caution. For one, the resolution is pretty low. Second, it tends to display wonky things below the crossover freq that seem implausible. That said, above the approximate crossover frequency they are a pretty reasonable approximation of the (upside down) before response.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page