The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 343 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10261 of 10269 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,940
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I had an audyssey pro cal from chad b, before and after graphs were very helpful in that, just like a display cal.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
gadgtfreek is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10262 of 10269 Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,610
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I had an audyssey pro cal from chad b, before and after graphs were very helpful in that, just like a display cal.
Just to be clear, the Audyssey's Pro "Certificate", which shows before and after graphs, can be a bit misleading. The after graph is an interpolation of the expected response after applying the Audyssey filters, not an actual room measurement. In my experience using actual REW measurements after a calibration, the certificate graphs are revealed to not always be accurate. Besides, the certificates are presented with 1/3 smoothing, which masks most of the room response issues anyway.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10263 of 10269 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,775
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
I don't doubt the benefits of measuring room response to improve sound quality, that wasn't my point. I was simply saying that today's Audyssey equipped receivers already contain the necessary software and hardware to do exactly that. I am just wondering why they don't make the option of a "before Audyssey correction" graph on-screen. It should be very simple to have that capability, especially on the higher-end models that use XT32 such as the 4520.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Let's make sure you understand the "EQ" charts you are referencing, located in the Audyssey setup area in the menu, sub-section "View Results". These charts provide a rough approximation of the correction being applied by the Audyssey filters. They do NOT represent "after" measurements and, IMO, are marginally useful.
It is worth pointing out that the Audyssey EQ graphs in the "Results Check" section of the GUI are in a way a "before correction" graph. What they literally show is the correction being applied, so (assuming you are looking at the EQ graphs for the "Flat" curve) the "before correction" response should essentially be the inverse of the correction graph.

That said, as Jerry implies these graphs should be taken with caution. For one, the resolution is pretty low. Second, it tends to display wonky things below the crossover freq that seem implausible. That said, above the approximate crossover frequency they are a pretty reasonable approximation of the (upside down) before response.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #10264 of 10269 Old Today, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Playing around more last night.

After running audessey the other day everything sounded great. So the person I am that messes with everything and loves bass decided to play.

My sub setup is:

2 Martycubes up front in each corner with inuke 3000dsp
2 Infinity BU 120 (12 inch)

While playing music and movie clips it sounded like I was getting some frequencies cancelation. So for fun I changed the phase on the rear 2 infinity's (they are stacked right behind MLP) to 180 and holy crap. It was like night and day, I measured and picked up about 10-15 db more. I had to set the channel levels down way more.

Before audessey I did not need to set out of phase so why would it need it now? Do you think by the distanced and delays added by audessey?
bluer101 is online now  
post #10265 of 10269 Old Today, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 85
bluer101 is online now  
post #10266 of 10269 Old Today, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,832
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Playing around more last night.

After running audessey the other day everything sounded great. So the person I am that messes with everything and loves bass decided to play.

My sub setup is:

2 Martycubes up front in each corner with inuke 3000dsp
2 Infinity BU 120 (12 inch)

While playing music and movie clips it sounded like I was getting some frequencies cancelation. So for fun I changed the phase on the rear 2 infinity's (they are stacked right behind MLP) to 180 and holy crap. It was like night and day, I measured and picked up about 10-15 db more. I had to set the channel levels down way more.

Before audessey I did not need to set out of phase so why would it need it now? Do you think by the distanced and delays added by audessey?
Changing the sub distances (delays) has the same effect as changing the phase knob on the sub. Audyssey does not always (usually?) get the phase relationship between the subs and the mains right. This is not surprising because Audyssey never measures the mains and subs playing together, so the delays set for the subs are calculated, not measured.

If you have measuring equipment and software like REW, you may care to take a look at the Sub Distance Tweak Guide linked in my sig.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #10267 of 10269 Old Today, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Changing the sub distances (delays) has the same effect as changing the phase knob on the sub. Audyssey does not always (usually?) get the phase relationship between the subs and the mains right. This is not surprising because Audyssey never measures the mains and subs playing together, so the delays set for the subs are calculated, not measured.

If you have measuring equipment and software like REW, you may care to take a look at the Sub Distance Tweak Guide linked in my sig.
Thank you for the link. After reading that it makes sense.

Before audessey I was using out of box settings which distances are set at 12 ft for everything.

I run the 2 Martycubes as sub 1 and the 2 12's as sub 2. After audessey it set them almost perfect. Sub 1 at around 11 ft and sub 2 around 3 ft.

So if I'm right it has changed the phase by distance which is one third the distance before audessey.

I need to get a mic and rew.
bluer101 is online now  
post #10268 of 10269 Old Today, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,832
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Thank you for the link. After reading that it makes sense.

Before audessey I was using out of box settings which distances are set at 12 ft for everything.

I run the 2 Martycubes as sub 1 and the 2 12's as sub 2. After audessey it set them almost perfect. Sub 1 at around 11 ft and sub 2 around 3 ft.

So if I'm right it has changed the phase by distance which is one third the distance before audessey.

I need to get a mic and rew.
Yes - your findings seem logical to me. The main thing is that you have adjusted the phase on one pair of subs and now, it seems, you have all the subs in phase with each other. Your listening tests and SPL readings seem to confirm this.

A suitable mic for REW is about $100 and the software is free. If you decide to go that route, check out AustinJerry's terrific guide to getting set up with REW and how to interpret the results of the measurements. It is the 'bible' for anyone using REW and is a masterly work in itself. It is linked in his sig IIRC.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #10269 of 10269 Old Today, 07:17 AM
Member
 
Floran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A Few Questions re 4520 Operation

I have a few questions on a few issues I noticed on how the 4520 operates; I'm thinking that I hopefully missed some setup parameters (or maybe it's just the way it operates):


1. When I turn it on using the red power button on the remote, it seems like all 4 zones are switched on. When I turn it off the front display stays dimly lit reading "Main zone off"; to turn it off completely so that the front display goes dark I need to cycle through the remaining zones and turn them off. Am I doing something wrong?


2. When everything is turned off in my HT (all HDMI connections) setup and I turn on the cable box and the TV using the Comcast remote the receiver turns on too but does now switch to the SAT/CABLE input, so I need to do that too as an extra step. With the 4310 this was working just fine, no switching from whatever HDMI input (or HD/Internet Radio) was previously used to sat/cable was necessary. I have the HDMI CEC turned on (except for power off command).


3. Is the 4520 missing the HDCD decoder (4310 has it, and I think 4311 has it too)?


4. Sometimes it seems like using the TV's remote to send commands like Play, Stop, FF, REW to the DVD/BR player does not work, or it take a few minutes to start working. Did you experience this? (again, the 4310 did not have this problem)


Thanks, F.
Floran is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off