The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 349 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #10441 of 12624 Old 11-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 218
And if I ever said that, I'd be wrong. But I'm not saying that, yet you are saying since you have a troublesome 4520, then they all are lemons.

I, on the other hand, am simply saying that when one looks at this thread, and the many other threads and owner reviews out there to get a concensus, one finds that the vast majority of 4520's out there are performing without issue. Why don't you send yours in for warranty work, it should have a 3 year warranty, no?
Craig Peer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10442 of 12624 Old 11-14-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Not to stray too far off topic, but I think we're confusing dead pixels with stuck pixels. I have a single dead (i.e. unlit/black) green pixel in the top right corner of my JVC front projector and it's absolutely impossible to see, even if you know exactly where to look, with anything other than a solid green test pattern, and even then only if you're standing right next to the screen. I can imagine that permanently lit (i.e. "stuck") pixels are quite a bit easier to notice than dead ones.
Well, I corrected myself in my subsequent post to specify that the single pixel in my set is stuck on red. That's about as apparent as a single pixel can be, I guess, and yet it's perfectly invisible, even with color test slides, unless your face is within a foot or so of the screen.

This would be completely OT except as it relates to the discussion of similar imperfections in our AVR's. I've had occasional operational quirks in my 3311 and now my X5200 which, for the most part, have represented only a momentary hiccup or slight inconvenience. It's irritating to the perfectionist in me and, when it occurs, does cause me consternation. But, to be honest, I still marvel at how well these machines perform so many complex functions over many years while generating considerable heat around delicate electronic circuits.

I know it's little consolation to those owners who have suffered serious issues with their units (and, full disclosure, the first X5200 I got was DOA), but overall I'd guess from over three years of following these threads that D&M's products have been remarkably reliable.
post #10443 of 12624 Old 11-14-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
And if I ever said that, I'd be wrong. But I'm not saying that, yet you are saying since you have a troublesome 4520, then they all are lemons.

I, on the other hand, am simply saying that when one looks at this thread, and the many other threads and owner reviews out there to get a concensus, one finds that the vast majority of 4520's out there are performing without issue. Why don't you send yours in for warranty work, it should have a 3 year warranty, no?
What I have now is actually my third (3rd) 4520.
1st one was returned due to very loud explosive pop, the kind that can kill the tweeters, followed by silence and red blinking light.
2nd one was returned due to intermittent noise in the back channels.
3rd one is what I have now with me that I decided not to return anymore when it started misbehaving but to keep in order to dissect and analyse what really is the AVR4520 - then if worth my while, change the things that I find that I do not like with it.

IMHO:
As manufactured, some people find that it suits their needs. I am happy for them. Some people believe the marketing hype and expect more from it and realise too late that it is not what they thought it was. Some find ways to learn to like it. I am also happy for them.

But to those that cannot do or change anything but either to accept its faults or the inconvenience of warranty repairs - they at least deserve the truth.
post #10444 of 12624 Old 11-14-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4984 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
And the truth is all what we're after.
post #10445 of 12624 Old 11-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doognam View Post
What I have now is actually my third (3rd) 4520.
1st one was returned due to very loud explosive pop, the kind that can kill the tweeters, followed by silence and red blinking light.
2nd one was returned due to intermittent noise in the back channels.
3rd one is what I have now with me that I decided not to return anymore when it started misbehaving but to keep in order to dissect and analyse what really is the AVR4520 - then if worth my while, change the things that I find that I do not like with it.

IMHO:
As manufactured, some people find that it suits their needs. I am happy for them. Some people believe the marketing hype and expect more from it and realise too late that it is not what they thought it was. Some find ways to learn to like it. I am also happy for them.

But to those that cannot do or change anything but either to accept its faults or the inconvenience of warranty repairs - they at least deserve the truth.
So now you're saying that as it turns out, you've had 3 4520's? You say that the 4520 has problems with bad board to board connections, that the 4520 has about 500(I guess you counted all 500) of these connections, and this particular connection is unique to the 4520(and how you know this, I guess you've dissected all the Denon models to know that this "connector" is ONLY in ONE Denon). But it seems that your third 4520 is the only unit that suffered from these loose connections. You say that if you "drop" the unit the connection will re-establish? I guess that each time, Denon was willing to replace your unit with a brand new unit too. That's quite a story.

Friend, you are one unlucky Joe.

Last edited by audio4life; 11-14-2014 at 10:56 PM.
post #10446 of 12624 Old 11-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
And the truth is all what we're after.

Indeed.
post #10447 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
So now you're saying that as it turns out, you've had 3 4520's? You say that the 4520 has problems with bad board to board connections, that the 4520 has about 500(I guess you counted all 500) of these connections, and this particular connection is unique to the 4520(and how you know this, I guess you've dissected all the Denon models to know that this "connector" is ONLY in ONE Denon). But it seems that your third 4520 is the only unit that suffered from these loose connections. You say that if you "drop" the unit the connection will re-establish? I guess that each time, Denon was willing to replace your unit with a brand new unit too. That's quite a story.

You misquote me and you say instead "this particular connection". There a whole universe of difference between a connection and a connector.

I guess you are dyslexic, but that is not your fault. What is your point?

FACT:
The type of connectors used in the AVR4520 are unique in the modern world of branded avrs.

It uses connectors with female contact elements that DO NOT HAVE grip ability

That is most unique for a "flagship model" to use such a ..d, and perhaps cheap type of connectors. All other models of branded avr's, including other Denons use the type of connectors with female contact elements that spring back to grip the male contact elements to ensure proper and long-lasting contact.

Arithmetic:
The HDMI/processor board has over 240 contact elements going to the audio board. Simple arithmetic dictates that at least 480 contact elements just between these two boards. Add to that the 66 by 66 connectors used for the diagnostic/protection circuitries from the main board to the audio board then add more for those that go all the way to the HDMI board. There are more boards that just these.
There you go, you would easily arrive at a conservative figure of at least 500 potential failure points - simply because of the kind connectors used.

It would have been better if they used the better kind of connectors, would you not agree?
post #10448 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 645
post #10449 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Doognam, if you can, I suggest just returning your receiver and get an equivalent Marantz or Pioneer instead. You will save yourself a lot of grief. Also look on the bright side, you don't have an XMC-1.
gsr likes this.
post #10450 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
Doognam, if you can, I suggest just returning your receiver and get an equivalent Marantz or Pioneer instead. You will save yourself a lot of grief. Also look on the bright side, you don't have an XMC-1.
Marantz? Isn't that also the same company as Denon?

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10451 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Nope - The XMC-1 is manufactured by Emotiva: https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1

post #10452 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
So why is that important? McIntosh has the same parent company namely, D & M Holdings. Would you say eek to McIntosh too?
Matt2026 likes this.
post #10453 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Got my Denon 4520CI back from the repair shop last Friday. Hooked it up on Monday. Used it for a few days (a couple hours max). Now when I turn the source to internet radio the unit locks up hard and nothing works. I actually have to pull the power. It freezes up on that source - nothing works - not the remote, not the physical front face buttons, not the source knob. I called Denon support they had me factory reset the unit. Same thing happens.

Guess it's going back again. This unit I got seems to be a lemon. I had it about three weeks new from amazon, and it bellied up last time, now only a couple more hours of use.

As sad as it is I'm considering going back to my Onkyo 5508. At least it has a single known problem that is now covered by warranty till 2018.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #10454 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 03:46 PM

Was this a refurbished or new unit?
post #10455 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikkster View Post
Interesting. It seems to me that it has only happenned while watching cable (directtv). I wonder if I can force the occurance while watching a blu-ray or some other source.

But....it that were the cause, why would jarring the receiver cause the relay to trigger again?
Well, I've eliminated that as the cause. The problem reproduces on other sources. But if I jar the unit I can always get it to,come back on, so,maybe it really is a sticking relay or loose connectors or something.

I'm beginning to,think I have to send it in which sucks because my prior unit was a onkyo 876 ( don't get me started) which failed, so,I'm going to be using tv sound for a while i guess.
post #10456 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
Was this a refurbished or new unit?
new from amazon.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #10457 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Got my Denon 4520CI back from the repair shop last Friday. Hooked it up on Monday. Used it for a few days (a couple hours max). Now when I turn the source to internet radio the unit locks up hard and nothing works. I actually have to pull the power. It freezes up on that source - nothing works - not the remote, not the physical front face buttons, not the source knob. I called Denon support they had me factory reset the unit. Same thing happens.

Guess it's going back again. This unit I got seems to be a lemon. I had it about three weeks new from amazon, and it bellied up last time, now only a couple more hours of use.

As sad as it is I'm considering going back to my Onkyo 5508. At least it has a single known problem that is now covered by warranty till 2018.
When it locks up are you using any type of ip control? App or mobile device.
post #10458 of 12624 Old 11-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What the hell is this?

I was watching a movie tonight and I thought the sound was off somehow in my 7.2 setup, so I ran a channel check, and ... both the left and right channel are coming out of the left front speaker. All other speaker channels are correct ...

What could be responsible for this?

Please weigh in here. My family couldn't care less but its driving me crazy.

EDIT: Never mind. I reset the left and right cables and it seems fine now

Last edited by Tangled Cable; 11-15-2014 at 10:14 PM.
post #10459 of 12624 Old 11-16-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
... I guess that each time, Denon was willing to replace your unit with a brand new unit too. That's quite a story.

Yes, my friend, I am very fortunate that Denon was willing to replace the faulty unit with a brand new one.
Simply because I live in a place where the "consumer guarantee protection" is a LAW that entitles the customer to choose how he wants to be compensated for faulty products that were bought in good faith. As to whether to refund, replace, or repair is the consumer's choice and not the sellers.

I can appreciate that that could be difficult for people who live in places where the norm is "buyer beware".
post #10460 of 12624 Old 11-16-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
When it locks up are you using any type of ip control? App or mobile device.
No just the remote it came with, so far the other input modes seem fine.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #10461 of 12624 Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
No just the remote it came with, so far the other input modes seem fine.
Ok, I was having an issue while using the iPhone /iPad apps. It would work fine for a while. Then after you would turn the Denon off and return it would start acting strange and very delayed. One of the times it froze like you described in Internet radio and nothing worked, I had to unplug the Denon. Since not using any ip control I have not had an issue.
post #10462 of 12624 Old 11-16-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
Nope - The XMC-1 is manufactured by Emotiva: https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1
Isn't that only a 7.2 receiver?

LED DLP
post #10463 of 12624 Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
new from amazon.
It's looking like my 4520 may have been a good decision. SO far I've had no issues. But I guess anything could crop up. I did purchase an extended warranty on it to cover it for five years just in case.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 11-16-2014 at 07:39 AM.
post #10464 of 12624 Old 11-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

The XMC-1 is a 7.1 pre-amp - I was responding to the the OP who suggested that the unit was manufactured by Denon or Marantz.

post #10465 of 12624 Old 11-16-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
It is a 7.2 preamp/processor which requires amplifiers. Receivers have the amplifiers built-in.
post #10466 of 12624 Old 11-16-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 385
If I save my configuration to my PC, will it save my Audyssey settings as well? I didn't see anything in the manual about that.
post #10467 of 12624 Old 11-16-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 459
The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread

^^^yes that is one of main reasons to have a few audyssey settings and load them as needed. Single person, multiple person in 1 row, 2 row.
I've asked both Audyssey and Denon to incorporate that into future AVR as multiple settings, with memory so cheap and big can't see reason why they don't do it for mid and high end AVRs

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #10468 of 12624 Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Perfect! Now I can try different sub tunes with my dsp's before I run Audyssey. I wish that I would have know this.

Thanks Mike!
post #10469 of 12624 Old 11-17-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
If I save my configuration to my PC, will it save my Audyssey settings as well? I didn't see anything in the manual about that.
IIRC there are just a handful of settings that are not saved in the config.dat file, such as subscription account ID and log-in (e.g., Pandora), Favorites, and Pre-Set radio stations.

Not pertinent to your current situation, but if you are about to perform a microprocessor reset before loading a previously saved config.dat file you might want to first make a note of any of these settings so that you won't have to re-enter them from memory.
post #10470 of 12624 Old 11-17-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2894 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
In my experience, everything is saved. I even remember someone issuing a caution because he noticed that account passwords are stored in the Config file as clear text. This would be very easy for someone to test and report back the results. I would do it myself, but I don't use the network features of the AVR, so there are no passwords stored.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page