Forum Jump: 
post #10591 of 10619 Unread 11-24-2014, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
So the one on the 4520 is a hub or a switch?
I haven't been able to sort that out either, all documentation it seems has been written by someone who hasn't the faintest clue about Ethernet networking, and they use the words hub or switch with equal measure.

I would honestly be suprised if it's a hub, considering how cheap and ubiquitous network switches are these days but it seems for us to get any clarity on this one issue we would have to hook up 4 computers and run speed tests. Then again it's not too unlikely denon got offered a bunch of 4-port hubs and thought "hey that's going to look good as an upper end feature, that doesn't serve all that much in practicallity".

Then again it's an AVR. If I where to connect multiple devices to it then those devices would be very close to the avr and mostlybe used one at a time, in other words, it would be considered as a single endpoint on a cabled network and I have a hard time seeing how this would actually matter practically, whether my playstation or blueray player is connected via this hub or a switch.

Personally I have just hooked in a singe Ethernet cable for the avr, since I have had an 8 port 1Gb\s switch not 3 feet from the AV rack for the past 5+ years anyways.

Last edited by TorTorden; 11-24-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10592 of 10619 Unread 11-24-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I use the hub/switch only for my oppo 103d. All other devices go to a power line HD switch. The reasoning is if I have the oppo on the avr is on anyways.
post #10593 of 10619 Unread 11-24-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I saved my configuration to my laptop over my network and when I went to load it back, it says that the load failed. What is the reasoning behind this? I had to spend all weekend re-tuning everything.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #10594 of 10619 Unread 11-24-2014, 06:51 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Regarding hub/switch issue. I'm no "techie"; but I don't have an issue with hub functionality in my setup. I have an Ethernet jack (Cat 6 from my den router) in the family room behind my primary A/V setup. Ethernet into Denon hub. It has outputs to Samsung F9000, OPPO 103D, and PS3. Since their internet functions are primarily as streaming sources for the display, I obviously only use one at a time. So, in my case I don't see where a switch would offer any advantage.
post #10595 of 10619 Unread 11-24-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
I saved my configuration to my laptop over my network and when I went to load it back, it says that the load failed. What is the reasoning behind this? I had to spend all weekend re-tuning everything.
When you did the save, did you check that the save produced a valid file? Sometimes, the save file is empty (nothing but zeros), in which case it would not load, of course. If the file wasn't empty, it's difficult to explain why it wouldn't load. I assume you tried several times?

While there have been numerous people who have reported issues with the configuration load/save functionality, it does work. So I recommend you don't give up--try it again to see if you can get it working properly.
post #10596 of 10619 Unread 11-24-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Airplay w/ Airfoil or OSX Yosemite 10.10 working for anyone?

4520'ers,

I was running music over Airplay when I got my 4520 a couple months ago. It seemed to work great and was easily seen on the network by all my Apple devices. Well, sometime in the last few weeks it just seemed to stop. iTunes and Airplay on my Mac devices (OSX) see it fine, but when trying to connect they just can't seem to get it linked and throw an error. The only thing I can think of is that I upgraded to OSX Yosemite recently.

I'm curious if anyone else is having problems with their Airplay when running Yosemite?

Thanks,

Rob
post #10597 of 10619 Unread 11-24-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
When you did the save, did you check that the save produced a valid file? Sometimes, the save file is empty (nothing but zeros), in which case it would not load, of course. If the file wasn't empty, it's difficult to explain why it wouldn't load. I assume you tried several times?

While there have been numerous people who have reported issues with the configuration load/save functionality, it does work. So I recommend you don't give up--try it again to see if you can get it working properly.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I tried many times because I didn't want to have to re-tune five dsp's again. What do you open the file with when you save it to see if there are all zeros or other info in it?

- Leon Phelps
post #10598 of 10619 Unread 11-24-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes I tried many times because I didn't want to have to re-tune five dsp's again. What do you open the file with when you save it to see if there are all zeros or other info in it?
I use the freeware HxD: http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
post #10599 of 10619 Unread 11-24-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Regarding hub/switch issue. I'm no "techie"; but I don't have an issue with hub functionality in my setup. I have an Ethernet jack (Cat 6 from my den router) in the family room behind my primary A/V setup. Ethernet into Denon hub. It has outputs to Samsung F9000, OPPO 103D, and PS3. Since their internet functions are primarily as streaming sources for the display, I obviously only use one at a time. So, in my case I don't see where a switch would offer any advantage.
In simple terms a Switch has a advantage passing packets to only a learned device on one of its ports, where as a Hub passes the packets to all ports. Unless you have a LAN with a lot of network traffic, using a Hub over Switch has no disadvantages. For Denon they obviously went the hub route as doubtful connected devices are using a lot of network traffic.

We also had discussion concerning why only 100 base vs 1000 base, and as it stands there isn't any applications that are really impacted by the 100 base capacity of this hub.
rlb likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #10600 of 10619 Unread 11-24-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seahorseman View Post
Last night I installed HDMI active equalizer extenders on the longer cables to see if it would solve my issues. These are the extenders that draw power from the HDMI line or can be powered with a 5v source that is not included. The instructions don't tell you how to set the equalizer, I set them to 3 for a 30' cable run.
I still am not able to get a 3D signal to go through the AVR. I am able to get a picture on zone 4 and both monitor 1 and 2 outputs all at the same time, but the sound still will not play at all unless I turn off zone 4. I guess my next step is to buy the 5v power sources and see if that works.
I now have things functioning as I had hoped they originally would. I have a single line out of the monitor 1 output into a hdmi splitter and have the extenders powered with a 5v power source (one each located at the terminus of the long HDMI runs to the TV and projector). 3D works, image on both displays work, and audio works. I do also have the zone 4 output to a second TV and can have all three displays on the same source or something else on the zone 4. FYI adding the power source alone did not solve the issue it took adding the hdmi splitter.
post #10601 of 10619 Unread 11-25-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you sir! I will pull another backup tonight when I get home and see what it has in it.

- Leon Phelps
post #10602 of 10619 Unread 11-25-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you sir! I will pull another backup tonight when I get home and see what it has in it.
FYI - the tip that has always ensured "good" save files for me has been to turn I/P Standby Control to OFF and then power cycling the receiver before performing the Save procedure.
post #10603 of 10619 Unread 11-25-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabb2 View Post
4520'ers,

I was running music over Airplay when I got my 4520 a couple months ago. It seemed to work great and was easily seen on the network by all my Apple devices. Well, sometime in the last few weeks it just seemed to stop. iTunes and Airplay on my Mac devices (OSX) see it fine, but when trying to connect they just can't seem to get it linked and throw an error. The only thing I can think of is that I upgraded to OSX Yosemite recently.

I'm curious if anyone else is having problems with their Airplay when running Yosemite?

Thanks,

Rob
Yosemite and Airplay work fine for me (including with both my Denon 4311 and 4520).
post #10604 of 10619 Unread 11-25-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
FYI - the tip that has always ensured "good" save files for me has been to turn I/P Standby Control to OFF and then power cycling the receiver before performing the Save procedure.

I saw that in the print at the bottom of the screen, but if I turn it off, how can I save my settings? I was saving over my network so maybe if I plug a usb cable into the avr and then to my computer I can do it that way.

- Leon Phelps
post #10605 of 10619 Unread 11-25-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I just tried the software and opened up my config file. Sure enough, it was all zeros.

- Leon Phelps
post #10606 of 10619 Unread 11-25-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:

I saw that in the print at the bottom of the screen, but if I turn it off, how can I save my settings? I was saving over my network so maybe if I plug a usb cable into the avr and then to my computer I can do it that way.
That setting allows you to access the receiver over the network when it's in STANDBY. When you go to do the save the receiver is powered on. So setting that to off doesn't prevent you from doing the network save.
post #10607 of 10619 Unread 11-25-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just tried the software and opened up my config file. Sure enough, it was all zeros.
Please follow Batpig's recommendation, which is also specified in my network save procedure--set the AVR network setting to "Off in standby" and try the save again.
post #10608 of 10619 Unread 11-25-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has anyone updated the firmware of the 4520 to decode Dolby Atmos? Are you getting proper In-Ceiling Rear speaker output?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP32-25112014-232630.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	385577  

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My lazily meandering Theater Room quest
post #10609 of 10619 Unread 11-25-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATTHEDILEO View Post
Has anyone updated the firmware of the 4520 to decode Dolby Atmos? Are you getting proper In-Ceiling Rear speaker output?
Kidding - sorry if I got anyone's hopes up. I was fiddling with custom input names, and thought of a great April Fool's day joke. I didn't think it could wait till next year.

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My lazily meandering Theater Room quest
post #10610 of 10619 Unread 11-25-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok, I give up. Where's the dang easy way to change levels on the remote?

I've searched and can't find the quick way to manually adjust the levels on all the channels from the remote. My old 4308 was easy. Just push the select button and scroll through the channels. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
post #10611 of 10619 Unread Yesterday, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarantis View Post
I've searched and can't find the quick way to manually adjust the levels on all the channels from the remote. My old 4308 was easy. Just push the select button and scroll through the channels. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
It's not possible without going into the speaker config menus and running the global test tones. The "on the fly" channel level menu doesn't exist on this model. Although you can adjust sub level using the Audio menu.
post #10612 of 10619 Unread Yesterday, 03:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Quote:

Thanks,
This feature has returned to the 2014 models to include the successor to the 4520CI, the X7200W to be released late Dec/early Jan.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10613 of 10619 Unread Yesterday, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Thanks,
You can use an mobile device or discrete code remote.

I was disappointed to as my older Denon had it but I have learned to set and forget so far.

Here is the website.

http://www.deremote.com

You can customize the layout for all your speaker trims.
post #10614 of 10619 Unread Yesterday, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Just curious, since the Audyssey calibration usually does a very good job balancing the audio levels across all speakers, under what situations do you find the need to manually adjust the level of a particular channel (other than the sub)? I am not being critical, I am just interested in why this is important to some users.
post #10615 of 10619 Unread Yesterday, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That setting allows you to access the receiver over the network when it's in STANDBY. When you go to do the save the receiver is powered on. So setting that to off doesn't prevent you from doing the network save.
Quote:
Please follow Batpig's recommendation, which is also specified in my network save procedure--set the AVR network setting to "Off in standby" and try the save again.
Makes sense. Thanks Guys!

- Leon Phelps
post #10616 of 10619 Unread Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Dam your theater setup is bigger than my house
post #10617 of 10619 Unread Yesterday, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Denon 4520 back at $999...for those that still might be looking

Adorama( via Ebay)

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #10618 of 10619 Unread Today, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Arc HDMI

Hi all do we have a ARC HDMI IN/OUT. Hell i have no idea what i am asking
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags