post #10621 of 10631 Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
What's the best way to stream Netflix in 5.1 surround? I thought the 4520 could connect to Netflix directly, but I can't figure out how to do it, so I connected my laptop (win 7) via hdmi and netflix apparently only plays in stereo... Any suggestions?
Receivers don't do direct video streaming, you need another device that can provide the stream. As you have found through the Internet version of Netflix is limited to 2ch. Many devices (bluray players, TVs, video game systems etc) have Netflix and other streaming services built in. So something you already own may have Netflix streaming. Or you can get a dedicated streaming box for 100 bucks like Apple TV or Roku or Amazon Fire.

Last edited by batpig; Yesterday at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 10631 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Receivers don't do direct video streaming, you need another device that can provide the stream. As you have found through the Internet version of Netflix is limited to 2ch. Many devices (bluray players, TVs, video game systems etc) have Netflix and other streaming services built in. So something you already own may have Netflix streaming. Or you can get a dedicated streaming box for 100 bucks like Apple TV or Roku or Amazon Fire.
Can an iPad stream netflix to the 4520? Do I have to physically connect it? does it need a special connection? Or will the standard apple USB cable work?
post #10623 of 10631 Old Today, 04:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
That setting allows you to access the receiver over the network when it's in STANDBY. When you go to do the save the receiver is powered on. So setting that to off doesn't prevent you from doing the network save.
With my 4520, leaving the network port set to on while in standby caused issues. I could save a couple of configurations but after that I would have issues. By leaving it off while in standby I have not had any more issues with my config saves.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10624 of 10631 Old Today, 04:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
What's the best way to stream Netflix in 5.1 surround? I thought the 4520 could connect to Netflix directly, but I can't figure out how to do it, so I connected my laptop (win 7) via hdmi and netflix apparently only plays in stereo... Any suggestions?
Get a FireTV stick. It will stream Netflix in 5.1 DD+.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10625 of 10631 Old Today, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I guess I just need to get Apple TV...
post #10626 of 10631 Old Today, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Sorry to change the subject, I'm just mulling over the apple airplay usage of the 4520. The way I understand it, you need to buy an apple unit to connect with your network/wifi. How is that any better than just buying an apple tv, which connects by HDMI to the avr? For me to connect the Denon to my network is going to take a cat 5 cable run that's pretty much impossible unless I rip my basement apart.
post #10627 of 10631 Old Today, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 884
AppleTV, which has a wireless connection, supports audio and video. Airplay on the 4500 supports only audio. And as you say, the ApplTV connects to the 4520 using HDMI.

And as far as providing network connectivity to the 4520, if you find the need, all you need is a wireless adapter like the Linksys WET610N. Assuming, of course, that you have a wireless network.
post #10628 of 10631 Old Today, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

I do have wireless, but because of a neighbor on one side, it can be pretty sketchy. Streaming a movie with the Oppo 103 can have dropouts. I'll be on the net with the laptop in the theater room, and watch my wireless signal suddenly drop right out, taking a minute or two to re sync. At times my garage door clicker won't close the door after I back out, I have to go inside to the wired button. The rest of the time, the opener can read the clicker from over 100 feet away. it's also on the same side of the house, next to the same neighbor. Their house is about 14 feet from ours.

Anyway, so for me it might work better to have appletv.
post #10629 of 10631 Old Today, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
I do have wireless, but because of a neighbor on one side, it can be pretty sketchy. Streaming a movie with the Oppo 103 can have dropouts. I'll be on the net with the laptop in the theater room, and watch my wireless signal suddenly drop right out, taking a minute or two to re sync. At times my garage door clicker won't close the door after I back out, I have to go inside to the wired button. The rest of the time, the opener can read the clicker from over 100 feet away. it's also on the same side of the house, next to the same neighbor. Their house is about 14 feet from ours.

I'm using Powerline wireless and have had good luck so far.
post #10630 of 10631 Old Today, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

Well, AppleTV requires a wireless connection as well. So unless you are ready to pull that Cat5 cable, you should trouble-shoot your wireless network. If you and your neighbor are using the same channel, that could cause issues. But it is easy to assess which channels are being used in your area, and select the best one (assuming you are familiar with your router's setup menu).

I use several freeware network analyzer tools that would allow you to check things out:

- WiFi Channel Scanner
- NetSurveyor (my choice)
- Wireless Wizard
post #10631 of 10631 Old Today, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't realize you could analyze things like that.

I thought the apple tv would be better, because I'd just be streaming about 15 feet, with the wifi It'd be 40 feet or so. At any rate, I'll try out those tools.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page