The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 358 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 878Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10711 of 13692 Old 12-06-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 771
^^^totally understand it's a hobby for many of us, if you've got budget allocated to it no different than buying a new set of golf clubs or snow skis every 5 years...have fun


Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
mtbdudex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10712 of 13692 Old 12-06-2014, 06:17 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 30,753
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6068 Post(s)
Liked: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post
Thanks Mt for getting back to me.
Honestly the 4308 works great just getting old. Ive had it for almost five years. I wanted to get the 4520 pure and simply because of the price. Either way no I do not have a 4k hdtv nor need any of those things you mentioned..it was more of a impulse buy. Theoretically the 4308 could die tomorrow or last me another 20 years...
might give it a try or I wont idk.
Its a 50/50 chance whether I like it or not. Im just curious if it will improve audio quality because right now the system sounds great! Theres always that 'what if' in audio and home theater. Thanks again for getting back to me
The 3808 is the little brother to the 4308. I got mine around six years ago. I also thought the audio sounded great with my 3808. But once I setup my 4520 and performed the audio calibration, I was floored at how much better it sounded. If I had known it could have sounded that much better I would have considered upgrading my receiver much sooner.

But also for me I can't place any speakers on the ceiling so Atmos is probably out for me. I can't really see going past the 9.1 I currently have setup without some kind of major modifications. If I had the space for an Atmos setup I would probably wait. But right now with my 4520 I should be good for several years unless I have major water damage from the condo above me again.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #10713 of 13692 Old 12-06-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post
Im just curious if it will improve audio quality because right now the system sounds great! Theres always that 'what if' in audio and home theater. Thanks again for getting back to me

I think you have already had 4-5 people ...including me...that have owned both units that said yes the 4520 is a definite upgrade over the 4308
My 4308...while it sounded good..crapped out and ended up being a buy back to Denon


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 65KS9800 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio P50 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Panasonic 50ST50 Denon4520 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Samsung 55KS8000 Pioneer SC95 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is online now  
 
post #10714 of 13692 Old 12-06-2014, 10:41 PM
 
audio4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post
Thanks Mt for getting back to me.
Honestly the 4308 works great just getting old. Ive had it for almost five years. I wanted to get the 4520 pure and simply because of the price. Either way no I do not have a 4k hdtv nor need any of those things you mentioned..it was more of a impulse buy. Theoretically the 4308 could die tomorrow or last me another 20 years...
might give it a try or I wont idk.
Its a 50/50 chance whether I like it or not. Im just curious if it will improve audio quality because right now the system sounds great! Theres always that 'what if' in audio and home theater. Thanks again for getting back to me
That was pretty much my situation, except with a 5 yr old Onkyo and an Outlaw amp. For the sale price of the 4520 I only had to kick in about $200 after selling the AVR and amp. The sound is far and away superior, I wondered if I'd miss the amp, but in my room not at all. Running 7.1 Paradigm Monitors, it's louder at lower volume settings, and the SQ is better than anything the Onkyo could do. But it's about budget and priorities I guess. The 4308 is a quality piece, no doubt about it.

Last edited by audio4life; 12-07-2014 at 01:16 PM.
audio4life is offline  
post #10715 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 4,429
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 16068
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But also for me I can't place any speakers on the ceiling so Atmos is probably out for me. I can't really see going past the 9.1 I currently have setup without some kind of major modifications. If I had the space for an Atmos setup I would probably wait. But right now with my 4520 I should be good for several years unless I have major water damage from the condo above me again.
Keep in mind that there is an alternative to speakers in the ceiling. There are/will be upward firing speakers reflecting off the ceiling...

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000 & BD-F7500; R&LRS/L/R SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH & SS Polk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nakamichi RE-2, CDC-4A, CR7A, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
Matt2026 is offline  
post #10716 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 03:56 AM
Senior Member
 
TorTorden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Keep in mind that there is an alternative to speakers in the ceiling. There are/will be upward firing speakers reflecting off the ceiling...
Which almost ironically places higher requirements on the ceiling than actually mounting the speakers, in short, your ceiling must be perfectly flat and unobstructed.
If you have sloped or a cathedral, or anything but a perfectly flat ceiling these upfiring reflecting speakers will not work at all.
gsr likes this.
TorTorden is offline  
post #10717 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Every few days I lose the audio on my 4520. I have my dish network Joey receiver hooked to the cbl/sat input. I don't know the exact scenario it happens, but it is too frequently. Should I try a new cable? Anyone know what causes this? It happened when I had a 4311 too.
raynist is offline  
post #10718 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 01:18 PM
 
audio4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
Which almost ironically places higher requirements on the ceiling than actually mounting the speakers, in short, your ceiling must be perfectly flat and unobstructed.
If you have sloped or a cathedral, or anything but a perfectly flat ceiling these upfiring reflecting speakers will not work at all.
Not sure what you mean by "perfectly flat"? Most ceilings are flat and not vaulted and have no obstructions. It's not like you have to get up there with a laser device to make sure your ceiling is flat enough.
audio4life is offline  
post #10719 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 01:46 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 16,090
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7445 Post(s)
Liked: 4152
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Every few days I lose the audio on my 4520. I have my dish network Joey receiver hooked to the cbl/sat input. I don't know the exact scenario it happens, but it is too frequently. Should I try a new cable? Anyone know what causes this? It happened when I had a 4311 too.
I would like a better description of what you do to get the audio back. Is it happening only on the Dish input?

I ask because I have an occasional problem on my 4520 on the DirecTV connections. It can happen when switching channels, or when coming out of a fast forward. The audio suddenly will be gone. But I can immediately restore audio by changing channels, so the issue is a minor annoyance. I attribute it to a glitch in the decoding of the DVR's digital signal. Since it is so easily fixed, I have never felt like researching root cause.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10720 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 01:49 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,653
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3555
Is the 4520 superior to the 4311? ...Sound wise.

And is Audyssey truly that bad for music listening? ...From them both Denon models.
NorthSky is offline  
post #10721 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 01:50 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 16,090
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7445 Post(s)
Liked: 4152
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Not sure what you mean by "perfectly flat"? Most ceilings are flat and not vaulted and have no obstructions. It's not like you have to get up there with a laser device to make sure your ceiling is flat enough.
I agree that a typical ceiling will be flat enough without getting out the laser. Unfortunately, I have a different problem. I have installed a cloud of acoustic treatments on the ceiling to control reflections. Now, to implement Atmos, I have to remove the treatments and re-introduce unwanted refelections in order to use the Atmos-enabled speakers. Doesn't make sense to me.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10722 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 01:56 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 16,090
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7445 Post(s)
Liked: 4152
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Is the 4520 superior to the 4311? ...Sound wise.

And is Audyssey truly that bad for music listening?
I feel exceptionally qualified to answer this question, because my 4520 is in the repair shop, and I have temporarily re-located my 4311 from the bedroom to the main listening room.

I re-ran an Audyssey Pro calibration on the 4311 in the identical environment that the 4520 has been in. After the calibration, I took a full set of REW measurements with the 4311, and I have two weeks of listening to the 4311 to form an opinion.

Results: no difference. The REW measurements between the 4520 and the 4311 are essentially the same. And the listening tests confim it--both AVR's sound very similar. So anyone contemplating upgrading from a 4311/A100 to a 4520 expecting audio improvements will be disappointed.
evo5 likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10723 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I would like a better description of what you do to get the audio back. Is it happening only on the Dish input?

I ask because I have an occasional problem on my 4520 on the DirecTV connections. It can happen when switching channels, or when coming out of a fast forward. The audio suddenly will be gone. But I can immediately restore audio by changing channels, so the issue is a minor annoyance. I attribute it to a glitch in the decoding of the DVR's digital signal. Since it is so easily fixed, I have never felt like researching root cause.
The sound does not come back until I do a microprocessor reset. After i do this I reload my saved settings from my laptop.

This only happens on the dish input and has happened on a 2312, 4311 and now a 4520, all on the same dish receiver. I moved the 4311 to a new room and it hasn't happened there yet on that Joey receiver.
raynist is offline  
post #10724 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 1,785
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I feel exceptionally qualified to answer this question, because my 4520 is in the repair shop, and I have temporarily re-located my 4311 from the bedroom to the main listening room.

I re-ran an Audyssey Pro calibration on the 4311 in the identical environment that the 4520 has been in. After the calibration, I took a full set of REW measurements with the 4311, and I have two weeks of listening to the 4311 to form an opinion.

Results: no difference. The REW measurements between the 4520 and the 4311 are essentially the same. And the listening tests confim it--both AVR's sound very similar. So anyone contemplating upgrading from a 4311/A100 to a 4520 expecting audio improvements will be disappointed.
Does the 4311 come with Audyssey Pro or is that something you have to have separate?
If it didn't come with it would it be same results?
Just curious
laserjock II is online now  
post #10725 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 03:40 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 16,090
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7445 Post(s)
Liked: 4152
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
The sound does not come back until I do a microprocessor reset. After i do this I reload my saved settings from my laptop.

This only happens on the dish input and has happened on a 2312, 4311 and now a 4520, all on the same dish receiver. I moved the 4311 to a new room and it hasn't happened there yet on that Joey receiver.
Our problems are not the same. I would seriously think about getting a different satellite receiver, because I don't think the issue is with the 4520. You could try moving the satellite unit to a different HDMI port.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #10726 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Our problems are not the same. I would seriously think about getting a different satellite receiver, because I don't think the issue is with the 4520. You could try moving the satellite unit to a different HDMI port.
I may call DISH and see if they can send me a new receiver. This has never happened in my game room location.
raynist is offline  
post #10727 of 13692 Old 12-07-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,384
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
That was pretty much my situation, except with a 5 yr old Onkyo and an Outlaw amp. For the sale price of the 4520 I only had to kick in about $200 after selling the AVR and amp. The sound is far and away superior, I wondered if I'd miss the amp, but in my room not at all. Running 7.1 Paradigm Monitors, it's louder at lower volume settings, and the SQ is better than anything the Onkyo could do. But it's about budget and priorities I guess. The 4308 is a quality piece, no doubt about it.
audio4life,

If you're going to stick with the 7.1 layout and have a PC connected to the 4520 via HDMI, would you be interested in trying out Dirac Live? There is a free trial available here: http://www.dirac.se/en/online-store.aspx

Would like to get some feedback on the sound quality differences between Dirac vs. Audyssey XT32. Dirac has some flexibility on the target curve and can be customized to suite one's taste. Also Dirac deals with reflects and corrects for impulse response. Curious to know which one is better.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is offline  
post #10728 of 13692 Old 12-08-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I feel exceptionally qualified to answer this question, because my 4520 is in the repair shop, and I have temporarily re-located my 4311 from the bedroom to the main listening room.

I re-ran an Audyssey Pro calibration on the 4311 in the identical environment that the 4520 has been in. After the calibration, I took a full set of REW measurements with the 4311, and I have two weeks of listening to the 4311 to form an opinion.

Results: no difference. The REW measurements between the 4520 and the 4311 are essentially the same. And the listening tests confim it--both AVR's sound very similar. So anyone contemplating upgrading from a 4311/A100 to a 4520 expecting audio improvements will be disappointed.
no surprise that they sound very similar

I would also suspect that the corresponding Marantz model will sound about the same as well

so then it becomes what price you can get one for and which ones appearance you like better

To respond to the poster that you quoted
I personally dont think Audessey sounds very good for listening to 2 channel music

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 65KS9800 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio P50 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Panasonic 50ST50 Denon4520 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Samsung 55KS8000 Pioneer SC95 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is online now  
post #10729 of 13692 Old 12-08-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
That was pretty much my situation, except with a 5 yr old Onkyo and an Outlaw amp. For the sale price of the 4520 I only had to kick in about $200 after selling the AVR and amp. The sound is far and away superior, I wondered if I'd miss the amp, but in my room not at all. Running 7.1 Paradigm Monitors, it's louder at lower volume settings, and the SQ is better than anything the Onkyo could do. But it's about budget and priorities I guess. The 4308 is a quality piece, no doubt about it.
what model Onkyo were you using?...if it was XT32 equipped I cant imagine there was much difference
and if there was it would be for the most part subjective

I just swapped a marantz 8801 into a space where an Onkyo 5508 was
I will tell you to quote from one of my favorite movies

They are for the most part "two horns on the same goat"

Nunace is what I would say the differences are

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 65KS9800 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio P50 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Panasonic 50ST50 Denon4520 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Samsung 55KS8000 Pioneer SC95 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is online now  
post #10730 of 13692 Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Azle,TX
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 211
After having my first 4520 sent back with hdmi problems, my replacement arrived today. This one will not output through the hdmi to the tv also. I have tried 6 different cables all of which I believe are good since I am using one now from my pc to TV and the others output from pc to tv also but once I try and use it in the 4520 I get no signal. I have done a reset and still will not display. These are not the most expensive cables but were not the cheap ones either. Lengths vary from 1.5 -35 ft cables Does anyone have any help on this?

All gone for now---->The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---6 DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--2 Pico Wreckers (tapped horns)---AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP & Nu3000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is offline  
post #10731 of 13692 Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
^^^^^^^ "looking here, The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread , looks like I missed 8. 2/19/2014 (3525-8853-5475), as I turned off the auto remind feature ...
Something to do later this weekend when everybody is gone, as then gotta re-run calibration

Just curious - are you re-running the calibration for other reasons? Otherwise - I'm not aware that a firmware update necessitates the need to rerun Audyssey.
Been so long I just assumed needed to, as it turns out no, at last for this firmware revision from my prior one.
(in other words, the firmware changes did not affect anything Audyssey set up related)

Firmware updated and all Audyssey setting/speaker distances/EQ/etc still same.

So ta-da, updated firmware, possible since nothing was "broken" with my usage (that I was aware of) there was nothing for me to "fix", but what the heck.
mtbdudex is offline  
post #10732 of 13692 Old 12-09-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,974
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1932 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Long time no chat fellow HT addicts So I have been running 9 channel for awhile. I bought a cheap Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 600 set to use the 4 satellites as heights and wides. Mostly for the discreteness and small size and still get the sound effect out there at those positions. A real larger speaker simply wouldn't work. So I still have the center channel and was thinking of adding it in as a single back surround directly behind and up mounted from the ceiling area.

What would the amp setting I would do for that? All 9 channels run off of the 4520's amps and then the single back surround from a separate? Obviously I need another single channel of amplification. But should I just buy a 2 channel and run LR from that? I can't remember if the 4520 has assignable amp sections.

JLPowell84's Room
FTW21 Ported Build
Spoiler!
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #10733 of 13692 Old 12-09-2014, 05:05 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
After having my first 4520 sent back with hdmi problems, my replacement arrived today. This one will not output through the hdmi to the tv also. I have tried 6 different cables all of which I believe are good since I am using one now from my pc to TV and the others output from pc to tv also but once I try and use it in the 4520 I get no signal. I have done a reset and still will not display. These are not the most expensive cables but were not the cheap ones either. Lengths vary from 1.5 -35 ft cables Does anyone have any help on this?

Perhaps a comment might prove to be helpful.


Would you allow the vendor to disrespect, mistreat, and/or CHEAT YOU by accepting a replacement that is also faulty?
doognam is offline  
post #10734 of 13692 Old 12-09-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 1,785
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
After having my first 4520 sent back with hdmi problems, my replacement arrived today. This one will not output through the hdmi to the tv also. I have tried 6 different cables all of which I believe are good since I am using one now from my pc to TV and the others output from pc to tv also but once I try and use it in the 4520 I get no signal. I have done a reset and still will not display. These are not the most expensive cables but were not the cheap ones either. Lengths vary from 1.5 -35 ft cables Does anyone have any help on this?
Is PC your only source? Do you have a BluRay player or something you can use to try if it is?
laserjock II is online now  
post #10735 of 13692 Old 12-10-2014, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Azle,TX
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by doognam View Post
Perhaps a comment might prove to be helpful.
Would you allow the vendor to disrespect, mistreat, and/or CHEAT YOU by accepting a replacement that is also faulty?

No I don't think this vendor knowingly would cheat the customer, but I also know s**t happens by no ones fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Is PC your only source? Do you have a BluRay player or something you can use to try if it is?

This is something I have been thinking about and talking with the vendor about also. But after talking with the vendor and looking at the Getting Started guide, I am wondering if the PC or BluRay or any other source has any influence with this.


Let me put it this way. I open up the 4520 and proceed to follow the getting started instructions.
1) put batteries in - check
2) place receiver close to TV and connect receiver to TV with HDMI cable. - check
3)Turn on TV and select appropriate HDMI input. - check
4)Plug in receiver and turn on receiver. - check
5) Follow the on-screen setup assistant. - No video signal to TV.


So after following he instructions and getting no video signal to TV, I assume a bad cable and test all my cables from my pc to TV without the receiver in between. All cables seem to work from PC to TV. Then I assume it may be a my TV, so I switch out the 70" for my 42" and then to my 32". I follow all the same instructions as above with each resulting in a no video signal to any TV on any HDMI input of the TV's. So as a last ditch effort and wally world being close, I get another 6ft length of HDMI cable, Monster brand. And start the whole process over again, and get no video signal. So at this point I am thinking WTH and do a deep reset of the receiver and go to bed. Start the process the next morning with different cables, TV's and turning on and off sequences to no avail. No where does it ask me to add a source since I can not get the On-Screen Setup Assistant to display.


On my first 4520 I did get the onscreen assistant and it did ask if you would like help adding a source. ie..bluray,dvd, etc..


Now I have contacted the vendor and Denon on this and so far neither have a answer to fix the problem. I don't know what to try next. I bring my old onkyo in and hook it up and video and audio work fine, bring in my 4311 and hook it up and video and audio all are fine. Hook the 4520 up and get no video but do get audio with the tuner.
Are there any other tests to run or try that will maybe get this to work?

All gone for now---->The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---6 DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--2 Pico Wreckers (tapped horns)---AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP & Nu3000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is offline  
post #10736 of 13692 Old 12-10-2014, 07:01 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 9,271
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
No I don't think this vendor knowingly would cheat the customer, but I also know s**t happens by no ones fault.




This is something I have been thinking about and talking with the vendor about also. But after talking with the vendor and looking at the Getting Started guide, I am wondering if the PC or BluRay or any other source has any influence with this.


Let me put it this way. I open up the 4520 and proceed to follow the getting started instructions.
1) put batteries in - check
2) place receiver close to TV and connect receiver to TV with HDMI cable. - check
3)Turn on TV and select appropriate HDMI input. - check
4)Plug in receiver and turn on receiver. - check
5) Follow the on-screen setup assistant. - No video signal to TV.


So after following he instructions and getting no video signal to TV, I assume a bad cable and test all my cables from my pc to TV without the receiver in between. All cables seem to work from PC to TV. Then I assume it may be a my TV, so I switch out the 70" for my 42" and then to my 32". I follow all the same instructions as above with each resulting in a no video signal to any TV on any HDMI input of the TV's. So as a last ditch effort and wally world being close, I get another 6ft length of HDMI cable, Monster brand. And start the whole process over again, and get no video signal. So at this point I am thinking WTH and do a deep reset of the receiver and go to bed. Start the process the next morning with different cables, TV's and turning on and off sequences to no avail. No where does it ask me to add a source since I can not get the On-Screen Setup Assistant to display.


On my first 4520 I did get the onscreen assistant and it did ask if you would like help adding a source. ie..bluray,dvd, etc..


Now I have contacted the vendor and Denon on this and so far neither have a answer to fix the problem. I don't know what to try next. I bring my old onkyo in and hook it up and video and audio work fine, bring in my 4311 and hook it up and video and audio all are fine. Hook the 4520 up and get no video but do get audio with the tuner.
Are there any other tests to run or try that will maybe get this to work?
It definitely sounds like an issue with the 4520. If you can't even get the 4520 OSD functions to display, then plugging a source device into one of the HDMI inputs isn't going to help.
gsr is offline  
post #10737 of 13692 Old 12-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
barasn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
hey gona upgrade my receiver gona buy 4520 or wait x7200?? ty
barasn is offline  
post #10738 of 13692 Old 12-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Senior Member
 
tbaucom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have a quick question. I prefer to listen to 2 channel music with a 60hz crossover but I watch movies with a global crossover of 80hz for all speakers. On my old Denon 4311 I could set different speaker settings for 2 channel. Denon apparently did away with this option on the 4520 unless separate speakers are used for 2 channel. Is there away to setup a Harmony remote to switch the crossover settings with one button?
tbaucom is offline  
post #10739 of 13692 Old 12-10-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28,283
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3695 Post(s)
Liked: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
I have a quick question. I prefer to listen to 2 channel music with a 60hz crossover but I watch movies with a global crossover of 80hz for all speakers. On my old Denon 4311 I could set different speaker settings for 2 channel. Denon apparently did away with this option on the 4520 unless separate speakers are used for 2 channel. Is there away to setup a Harmony remote to switch the crossover settings with one button?
Unfortunately, this feature was removed for a model cycle but it has returned on the new high end X-Series models with Atmos (X4100 and up).

There is really no easy way to change a crossover with a Harmony macro, it would take too many button clicks and menu navigations. What I suggest is you bookmark the URL for the "Crossovers" menu in your web broswer (laptop or tablet/smartphone) where it is easy to change quickly.

Or you could just leave your fronts at 60Hz for all content. I highly doubt you'd notice much difference between 60Hz and 80Hz with movie content if your fronts are moderately capable.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #10740 of 13692 Old 12-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Member
 
ingersol1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver island b.c.
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I set my 4520 for 40hz for two channel listening, it's easy,using
your denon remote go to your manual speaker setup amp assign
and select 7.1+ FrontB and then scroll down to front speaker setup
and choose A choose A for multi ch playback also, you should be
able to setup your 2 ch playback now, at least it works on my 4520.
ingersol1211 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off