The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 364 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 362  363  364 365  366  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread
Dagmandt's Avatar Dagmandt 06:15 PM 12-31-2014
Hi guys,

I just got my 4520 and love all the features. I did notice a few things right off the bat that bother me a bit. I'm hoping I can get some help to correct the issues.

1. After going through the speaker calibration I noticed there is very little subwoofer. Maybe I'm used to too much but it was way lower than what I'm used to. I just reduced the adjustment so I have more now. Not a big deal, just strange it was so low.

2. There is A LOT of voice in my L and R fronts. I'm used to DD putting nearly all voice in the center and very little in the L and R speakers except when effects call for it. Right now, all my regular TV watching is in DD and there is nearly as much voice in the L and R speakers as the center. Is there a way to adjust this?

I love the features, am currently running 4ohm speakers and the receiver seems to be handling them just fine.

Thanks for any help.

Darren

bgoering's Avatar bgoering 06:27 PM 12-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinroad View Post
How did you program the URC remote to the alternate
remote ID?

Did you set the factory remote to the alternate ID and
let the URC remote learn from it.

Or did you use Denon hex generator and copy over
the commands

Thanks
The 3rd option DenonHexGen and the AVR4520_IR_CODE_V01.pdf for all of the codes I needed. I created separate device for each of the zones 1-4. Those are all in the MX-890 program. I do source sharing with the other room with the 4520 Zone 4 out going to one of the X3000 input. I was able to export my Zone 4 device and import it on the MX-780 so I didn't have to do it twice.

Bill
Mkard's Avatar Mkard 07:02 PM 12-31-2014
I've got the "bug" again...

I think that I'm going to look really hard locally for this Denon out the door under 1K and with Denon warranty.

Appears to have the rated output and power supply to permit me to offload my Adcom and one of my AVR's onto Craigslist. I like the specs, the manual, and the Made in Japan.

Would look pretty cool next to my stack of OPPOs. BDP-93 and DV-980h.

Just wishing. But if I find it..

Mike
bluer101's Avatar bluer101 07:28 PM 12-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post
I've got the "bug" again...

I think that I'm going to look really hard locally for this Denon out the door under 1K and with Denon warranty.

Appears to have the rated output and power supply to permit me to offload my Adcom and one of my AVR's onto Craigslist. I like the specs, the manual, and the Made in Japan.

Would look pretty cool next to my stack of OPPOs. BDP-93 and DV-980h.

Just wishing. But if I find it..

Mike
Just order from A4L brand new with 3 year Denon warranty at $1099.
Mkard's Avatar Mkard 07:56 PM 12-31-2014
^ ^
bluer101,

Thanks, that is a thought. I would confirm warranties as described earlier though.

Previous page references a professional review of this unit, pretty harsh about the midrange performance of the audio. I've got to find some more in depth reviews. Dialogue is for me critical. Still very much like the unit. Not much out there that specs as nicely without pushing the $1500 and up range. I really don't mind going after last year's model in Denon or Yamaha.

Cheers, Happy New Year
bluer101's Avatar bluer101 08:55 PM 12-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post
^ ^
bluer101,

Thanks, that is a thought. I would confirm warranties as described earlier though.

Previous page references a professional review of this unit, pretty harsh about the midrange performance of the audio. I've got to find some more in depth reviews. Dialogue is for me critical. Still very much like the unit. Not much out there that specs as nicely without pushing the $1500 and up range. I really don't mind going after last year's model in Denon or Yamaha.

Cheers, Happy New Year

I bought mine from them a few months ago. I emailed Denon and A4L about authorized dealer and both said yes. I was also told that as long as it states new on the receipt it's good.

This is my second Denon avr and the 4520ci has been unbelievable so far. Just because it's $1100 now it was $2600 and their flagship receiver. Just food for thought.
napski's Avatar napski 10:43 PM 12-31-2014
So, not a good deal then for the 4520ci at $866 with the Amazon Warehouse Deals?
bluer101's Avatar bluer101 11:27 PM 12-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by napski View Post
So, not a good deal then for the 4520ci at $866 with the Amazon Warehouse Deals?
A4L has them refurbished and new.

Referb. $888.88
New. $1095.99

http://www.accessories4less.com/inde...id%5Bq%5D=4520

For me $231 more that what you paid gets you a brand new unit and 3 years warranty.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 12:43 AM 01-01-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
A4L has them refurbished and new.

Referb. $888.88
New. $1095.99

http://www.accessories4less.com/inde...id%5Bq%5D=4520

For me $231 more that what you paid gets you a brand new unit and 3 years warranty.
Wow!! I paid $1300 for my refurb over the Summer from A4L. Then another $150 for a 5 year warranty from A4L. Those are some sweet prices. And the 5 year warranty is only $90 at that refurb price.(1 year from Denon and 4 years from LEAF Service Pro).

Which reminds me. I still need to register my 4520 with them for the extended warranty. Wow ! I still can't believe how much lower the prices are now.
Mkard's Avatar Mkard 02:57 AM 01-01-2015
OK. Serious question here.

From same source, A4Less: Which is the way to go?

Denon 4520CI "NEW" with factory 3yr warranty or Yamaha RX-A3030 "Refurb" with 1year. Exact same price.

Application: 5.1 system plus height/presence speakers. Single zone used. Possible use of airplay and/or wireless streaming. Other than that, quite conventional. The right choice allows me to send 3 x 100w of external amplification down the road via Craigslist and a Pioneer 812 (2011 year?) AVR to the same route. I'd expect to recover @ $400 total cost from those sales.

I have liked Yamaha for 10years, but I do respect the 'Made in Japan' attached to the Denon 4520.

I do not know enough to make a smart decision here and now. Your help will be read and appreciated for what it is.

Mike
TorTorden's Avatar TorTorden 04:49 AM 01-01-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmandt View Post
Hi guys,

I just got my 4520 and love all the features. I did notice a few things right off the bat that bother me a bit. I'm hoping I can get some help to correct the issues.

1. After going through the speaker calibration I noticed there is very little subwoofer. Maybe I'm used to too much but it was way lower than what I'm used to. I just reduced the adjustment so I have more now. Not a big deal, just strange it was so low.

2. There is A LOT of voice in my L and R fronts. I'm used to DD putting nearly all voice in the center and very little in the L and R speakers except when effects call for it. Right now, all my regular TV watching is in DD and there is nearly as much voice in the L and R speakers as the center. Is there a way to adjust this?

I love the features, am currently running 4ohm speakers and the receiver seems to be handling them just fine.

Thanks for any help.

Darren
1:
The adjustment most enthusiasts report making is boosting the sub trim with about +6db after calibration along with possibly setting a higher cross over frequency.
For lower volumes enabling dynamic EQ in the audyssey settings also brings a noticeable boost in the bass frequencies above under sub crossover.
Some people don't like that feature, others love it and the debate rages on. Your personal preference should win out.
2:
Could be one or two things with the pro logic upmixer, first there is a setting (think it's called staging) in the menu-audio- surround parameters that adjusts this, and I think there is a fundamental difference in whether it utilizes the center if you use music or movie up-scaling mode, play with both for tv I would for example use movie mode rather than musical upmixing, you might need to select right the mode as well as tweak the surround parameters to get desired result.
I don't really use the upmixer so this is just what I basically remember from playing around with it, so could of course be off the mark.
Dagmandt's Avatar Dagmandt 07:13 AM 01-01-2015
Thanks for the info. I did indeed end up bumping the bass by 4db. I didn't however find the "staging" setting you were referring to. Still looking around but haven't seen anything that would seem to adjust the voice and center other than dialog enhancer which I'm not fond of and it changes it in all 3 speakers.
007james's Avatar 007james 04:08 PM 01-01-2015
Received a refurbished 4520 through Denon after my first one was in for repairs twice. I tried using Pandora today and apparently the older users credentials are "cached" so i entered my crdentials it resets networks then plays the original users account. When I check the user account page, his info shows up. I have everything else set up and i would hate to do a reset. Wouldn't you think Denon repair would reset when refurbished? Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion for a way around this? I did not try a full reset yet, just network. Luckily, the previous owner has a decent playlist.... Imagine if there was sensitive account info there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: not sure how this "popped up" but it asked me if i wanted to log off my Pandora account, so i did and its all good now.....
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 05:09 PM 01-01-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007james View Post
Received a refurbished 4520 through Denon after my first one was in for repairs twice. I tried using Pandora today and apparently the older users credentials are "cached" so i entered my crdentials it resets networks then plays the original users account. When I check the user account page, his info shows up. I have everything else set up and i would hate to do a reset. Wouldn't you think Denon repair would reset when refurbished? Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion for a way around this? I did not try a full reset yet, just network. Luckily, the previous owner has a decent playlist.... Imagine if there was sensitive account info there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: not sure how this "popped up" but it asked me if i wanted to log off my Pandora account, so i did and its all good now.....
This was the same way on my refurb. I remember asking the question here when I first got it and was told that it was normal. I just logged out of the persons account and logged back in with my own account.

I was going to do a full reset initially but jdsmoothie said that the info cannot be reset. Only written over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Thanks so the network always on feature is the culprit?

I need to do a full reset anyway. I realized yesterday that the previous owner of the 4520, their info was still in Pandora. It still had their gmail linked to Pandora. So I am going to do a full reset tonight and then change the network configuration to off in standby. And redo everything from scratch.

I should have written down the email. I wonder what the issue was with it? Although I was surprised the info was there. I figured Denon would have reset everything before sending a unit out as a refurb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
IIRC, this information cannot be reset, rather only written over.

jrhooper1963's Avatar jrhooper1963 11:12 AM 01-02-2015
Quote:
I was considering purchasing a 4520 through Amazon Warehouse deals recently. I contacted Amazon and they informed me that the receipt would clearly state USED on it. Then I called my local Denon authorized service center. They told me that used was considered the SAME as refurbished. So it would only have a one year warranty.

I then called Amazon back, and asked if there was any way around having USED written on the receipt for a 4520 purchased through Warehouse Deals. Their answer was absolutely not!
audio4life's Avatar audio4life 11:54 AM 01-02-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post
I was considering purchasing a 4520 through Amazon Warehouse deals recently. I contacted Amazon and they informed me that the receipt would clearly state USED on it. Then I called my local Denon authorized service center. They told me that used was considered the SAME as refurbished. So it would only have a one year warranty.

I then called Amazon back, and asked if there was any way around having USED written on the receipt for a 4520 purchased through Warehouse Deals. Their answer was absolutely not!
Yeah, you're asking Amazon to lie to a business associate(Denon) so I'm not surprised they said no. What you want is a refurb price and a 3 yr warranty without paying for it. Not going to happen. Either pony up for the extended warranty on the refurb, or pony up for the brand new 4520. Look, the prices right now are crazy cheap for these discontinued Denon models, surely you can find something!
jrhooper1963's Avatar jrhooper1963 12:31 PM 01-02-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Yeah, you're asking Amazon to lie to a business associate(Denon) so I'm not surprised they said no. What you want is a refurb price and a 3 yr warranty without paying for it. Not going to happen. Either pony up for the extended warranty on the refurb, or pony up for the brand new 4520. Look, the prices right now are crazy cheap for these discontinued Denon models, surely you can find something!
Audio4life you are absolutely right! The deals on this model are CRAZY cheap at this time. I am trying to have my cake and eat it too. LOL

Also, I currently have a Marantz AV7005 paired with a Parasound Halo A52. I would love to get rid of some cable clutter, but I am not sure I would be satisfied with the audio fidelity. My AV7005 has never given me any problems. The only thing missing is the XT 32 room correction. My room is not the greatest for acoustics. Unfortunately, I am stuck with my listening room for the time being.
chi_guy50's Avatar chi_guy50 01:15 PM 01-02-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post

AFAIK Denon will not honor ANY warranty on a used AVR. The 3-year warranty applies any new 4520 purchased from an AUTHORIZED reseller; the 1-year warranty is on refurbished units from an authorized reseller. As I mentioned earlier to another poster, the last time I checked on this matter, I was told that Amazon Warehouse Deals (which actually includes products from any number of non-affiliated third-party sellers) is not an authorized reseller and thus their sales would not qualify for any warranty support by D&M. This is also reflected (by omission) on the Denon web page that lists the authorized on-line retailers.

If warranty coverage is important to you, I recommend that you always verify the extent of coverage--and who will be providing it--before purchasing if there is any doubt on the matter. Also, most credit cards from major financial institutions will provide up to one additional year of warranty coverage through the credit card; since most electronic equipment defects will surface in the first year or two of use, that should mitigate the risk sufficiently to give you some peace of mind when buying an open-box or refurbished unit. And, in my experience, Amazon is exceptionally good in resolving after-sales issues.
ppasteur's Avatar ppasteur 05:57 PM 01-02-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmandt View Post
Thanks for the info. I did indeed end up bumping the bass by 4db. I didn't however find the "staging" setting you were referring to. Still looking around but haven't seen anything that would seem to adjust the voice and center other than dialog enhancer which I'm not fond of and it changes it in all 3 speakers.

I think that the parameters for the MUSIC mode are Center Width and Panorama.
I don't recall having those available for the cinema mode.
napski's Avatar napski 01:08 AM 01-04-2015
Well I finally received the Denon 4520CI. It was literally brand new, never been opened with just a slight dent on the outer box. Everything else was minty fresh and unopened! Comes with a 3 year warranty from Denon and 30 day return to Amazon to boot!

So I hooked it up to my new Emp Tek speakers with the SVS subwoofer. Man, I was so excited since these Emp Teks too, looking so sexy and the Denon is a very nice looking, heavy receiver.

So I this is what I have setup with the Denon 4520CI:

2 - R55Ti Tower Speakers
2 - R5Bi Bookshelf Speakers
1 - R56Ci Center Channel Speaker
1 - SVS PC12-NSD Subwoofer
Benq Projector

I also purchased a pair of R55Wi Surround On-wall Speakers, but didn't hook them up yet since I wanted to hear how this standard setup sounded first with the bookshelves before installing these surrounds on the wall.

I hooked up everything and ran Audussey. I must say how impressed I was with Denon's onscreen instructions in setting this up and the excellent remote control. Also, I put the SVS subwoofer in the back instead of the front for the simple reason that it's a large tall standing tube and it was too crowded in the front. Also, during the calibration I was wondering if the sound from the fan on the Benq projector hanging from the ceiling might have an effect on this. Lastly I moved the bookshelves from the left and right corners pointing diagonally out into the room, to placing them at direclty to left and right walls instead at ear height.

Afterwards, I popped in 2 songs by Ariane Moffatt called "
Walls of the World
" and "
In Your Body
". The sound was clear but didn't move me at all. I then tried my favorite rock band called Rush from their 2112 album and was very depressed by the sound. Not good at all! I began going through all the different music modes on the Denon receiver, but none of them called to me at all.

Then I ran for the films and pulled out
Godzilla and went through a few action scenes
. I was impressed by the sounds I never noticed before, like cables snapping and bending, devris falling all around, etc. but again not moved by the overall sound.

I then tried
this scene from Pacific Rim
but I changed the movie mode to "MULTI CH STEREO". It was very good! But then got up and listened to each speaker while the film was playing. The bookshelves on the side were really pumping out loud, good sound, much better and more than the front towers and center! I mean, for the size of those bookshelves and what they were putting out was impressive, but I could not get the towers or the center to do so, unless I manually made changes I guess to the calibration settings. I also felt like these bookshelves weren't really made to handle films like this, which I thought should be coming more from the fronts and center(I do realize that the center is mainly for dialogue, but still). I mean, the towers and center can handle more power and they each have more speakers. I tried to find a movie mode that would pump more from the fronts and center on the Denon, but nothing yet.

I then watched a few scenes from Dark Knight and again wasn't too impressed.

Yet afterwards I played classcial/middle age music from a CD I have called
"A Feast of Songs" by Beth and Barry Hall
(Highly recommended...a must have!) and it sounded very lovely indeed!

Flipped on over to a song called
"In The City" by Caveman
and
some various songs from Godsmack
. Both did not shine here.

Can't tell at this point if it's the receiver or the speakers or the combo of both, or maybe me not tweaking outside of the Audussey calibration.

To be honest I think these speakers are what they are supposed to be...neutral. Correct me if I am wrong, but for most action movies, rock, or music that I might want to feel a bit more, these Emp Tek speakers are not the right choice, so far.

I was warned that these speakers were not warm at all and that person was right, saved by what the SVS sub has delivered. I am also believing in what some people have suggested which is that it doesn't really matter which receiver you buy, just as long as it has all the options you want in a receiver. Please let me know otherwise and what I might be able to do to change things.

The only things that I liked very much so far was the the SVS subwoofer, which really is worth every penny ($499). I started at half volume as Denon recommened before calibration. I just moved it slightly beyond that and it just began to fill the entire room with beautiful bass! Still wondered if it was better in the front though.

I was surprised that the movie and music modes in the Denon 4520CI weren't that great at all except for that "Multi-Channel" movie mode. I was going to start making manual adjustments, but one of the whole points in buying this receiver was the Audussey calibration, so I did not want to undo what it had done. If I had to, then it very much defeats the point of buying this unit and I probably should have listened to get a lower end unit instead (which I can still do).

At this point I think I have until Monday to send back the speakers, which will probably cost quite a bit to send. It would also be sad to send back the Denon because of the price I bought it at, but so far I haven't been to impressed for the price at all.

Any suggestions on settings that I can try, for either? I did make one change from 8 ohms to 6 ohms, but that didn't help much.

Thank you all very much again.

-Nap
Dreamliner's Avatar Dreamliner 04:43 AM 01-04-2015
Quote:
Well I finally received the Denon 4520CI. It was literally brand new, never been opened with just a slight dent on the outer box. Everything else was minty fresh and unopened! Comes with a 3 year warranty from Denon and 30 day return to Amazon to boot!

So I hooked it up to my new Emp Tek speakers with the SVS subwoofer. Man, I was so excited since these Emp Teks too, looking so sexy and the Denon is a very nice looking, heavy receiver.
How much reading did you do on the Audyssey calibration? I'd try listening again in Pure Direct with content you know well and see what you think then.

What was you system before? Buying a new receiver AND speakers make it hard to pinpoint what you don't like. I will say that receivers tend to 'color' sound a bit differently. I've always preferred Denon to Pioneer or Onkyo. To me, it seems the sound is clearer without being harsh. (subjective, of course)

I don't know anything about the speakers you have but I do know whenever I replace my 11 speakers I will have a very hard time finding something I like better.
napski's Avatar napski 07:53 AM 01-04-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
How much reading did you do on the Audyssey calibration? I'd try listening again in Pure Direct with content you know well and see what you think then.

What was you system before? Buying a new receiver AND speakers make it hard to pinpoint what you don't like. I will say that receivers tend to 'color' sound a bit differently. I've always preferred Denon to Pioneer or Onkyo. To me, it seems the sound is clearer without being harsh. (subjective, of course)

I don't know anything about the speakers you have but I do know whenever I replace my 11 speakers I will have a very hard time finding something I like better.
Honestly I didn't read much on the calibration itself. I will try the Pure Direct this morning and let you know.
The system I had before was a Yamaha receiver with Energy RC-Micro 5.1, but that was a smaller room in a smaller apartment, so this is my first big system. The Yammy was good, reliable and cheap and never really had a problem with it, but died after a lightning struck. So, I just thought I'd give Denon a try.

WOW! 11 speakers? Which speakers do you have set up?
chi_guy50's Avatar chi_guy50 08:51 AM 01-04-2015
Quote:
As I noted earlier, Denon CS has told me in the past that their warranty does not cover purchases from Amazon Warehouse Deals (as opposed to Amazon proper). If the warranty coverage is important to you, I suggest that you confirm with Denon that this particular purchase will qualify. And let us know what you find out.
Matt2026's Avatar Matt2026 11:45 AM 01-04-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
As I noted earlier, Denon CS has told me in the past that their warranty does not cover purchases from Amazon Warehouse Deals (as opposed to Amazon proper). If the warranty coverage is important to you, I suggest that you confirm with Denon that this particular purchase will qualify. And let us know what you find out.
I second this advice. Why? Especially because the only 4520CIs I see on Amazon are being sold by marketplace vendors, i.e.:

"List Price: $2,499.00 Price: $1,099.00 & FREE Shipping You Save: $1,400.00 (56%)
Only 12 left in stock.
Ships from and sold by Adorama Camera."

or

"List Price: $3,598.99 Price: $1,999.00 & FREE Shipping You Save: $1,599.99 (44%)
Only 4 left in stock.
Ships from and sold by HIDEF Lifestyle."

And while I find 6 other sellers, I did not find Amazon as a seller, only as fulling the order (by shipping out the unit).

IF you did actually buy the unit from Amazon it may still be a good idea to verify with Denon. Might save some hassles down the road...
chi_guy50's Avatar chi_guy50 12:09 PM 01-04-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
. . .IF you did actually buy the unit from Amazon it may still be a good idea to verify with Denon. Might save some hassles down the road...
It never hurts to verify, but there should be no warranty issues with a NIB Denon product purchased from Amazon.com proper, as they are an authorized Denon dealer. The potential problem arises when Amazon is simply fulfilling an order and the actual seller is a third party--including "Amazon Warehouse Deals," which is an umbrella for a number of unaffiliated third parties. AIUI, the D&M warranties are typically voided when the invoice shows an unauthorized seller, which is a pretty standard practice since manufacturers do not wish to be held responsible for "grey market" merchandise.
audio4life's Avatar audio4life 03:17 PM 01-04-2015
Quote:
Honestly I didn't read much on the calibration itself. I will try the Pure Direct this morning and let you know.
The system I had before was a Yamaha receiver with Energy RC-Micro 5.1, but that was a smaller room in a smaller apartment, so this is my first big system. The Yammy was good, reliable and cheap and never really had a problem with it, but died after a lightning struck. So, I just thought I'd give Denon a try.
So this is your first listen to the new speakers AND the Denon? If so, that is a big change, and the speakers will always have the most to say on what the sound characteristics are. The Denon is a tour de force sonically speaking, but it will sound different than the Yamaha you had. Do you still have the RC Energy set? Perhaps swap them in to compare, but I would lean towards the EMP speakers being the culprit on what you don't like about what you're hearing. It's a tough position to be in though. Try the Denon on Pure direct while listening to music, and take your time. If you decide to buy new speakers, audition some at local stores to get an idea of what you like.

Edit: After further investigation, the EMP's seem like they have a pretty good bang for buck, you may just be adjusting to a superior sound all around. The Audyssey program can be very fussy though. Do you have some kind of a mic stand for the mic? I'd strongly recommend at least a cheap camera tripod. Dollar stores sometimes carry them for cheap. I'd also recommend making sure your furnace or HVAC does not cycle on during the calibration process. Ditto the fridge or any appliance that might be in the room or close enough to be heard.

Looks like you have 30 days on the speakers, give it some time. Speaker placement is key too, don't place them in a corner if possible.
Snowdogyyz's Avatar Snowdogyyz 03:57 PM 01-04-2015
Did you set your speakers to small and change crossovers to 80 hz? If not, you may be taxing the receiver sending low frequencies to the fronts and center, rather than the sub.
DavidinCT's Avatar DavidinCT 06:14 PM 01-04-2015
Ok, I really need some help here. I have been troubleshooting this all weekend and finally figured out what is going on.

I have a Home theater PC running Windows Media Center(Windows 7). My hardware is up to spec, I am trying to get WMC to run at 2160p @ 60hz. The Video card I have does support it (GTX750ti 2gb).

If I run the PC directly to the TV (LG 65ub9500), the video settings will go up to 2160p @ 60hz (via HDMI). And may I add, it looks awesome, MC is smooth as silk and video play back looks worlds better than 1080p, and even the handful of 4K clips I have, look mind blowing.

The problem is, I need HDMI switching because of the handful of devices I have, so I am using the 4520ci with over all no problems besides this.

If I plug my HTPC into the 4520 (HTPC>4520ci>HDMI 2.0 port on the TV), the settings for video out will ONLY go to 2160p @ 30hz (this results in sluggish video, 4k videos break up and very choppy MC performance navigating around). This must be the EDID on the 4520 with this limit. No matter what I have tried (disabling all video processing an everything else on the 4520), I can ONLY get 2160p @ 30hz/

Is this a limit of the 4K on the 4520 ? IS there something I can do to modify the 4520ci to support 2160p @60hz ? Or should I be looking for a 3rd party switch and avoiding doing any switching on the 4520 ?

So close to what I think right now is the holy grail when it comes to 4K but, so far....

Or should I be calling Denon on this to see if they have any plans to fix/adress it ?

Please help if you can, IS there any way possible I can get 2160p @ 60hz through the 4520ci ??????

Thanks in advance !
Schwa's Avatar Schwa 06:52 PM 01-04-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
Ok, I really need some help here. I have been troubleshooting this all weekend and finally figured out what is going on.

I have a Home theater PC running Windows Media Center(Windows 7). My hardware is up to spec, I am trying to get WMC to run at 2160p @ 60hz. The Video card I have does support it (GTX750ti 2gb).

If I run the PC directly to the TV (LG 65ub9500), the video settings will go up to 2160p @ 60hz (via HDMI). And may I add, it looks awesome, MC is smooth as silk and video play back looks worlds better than 1080p, and even the handful of 4K clips I have, look mind blowing.

The problem is, I need HDMI switching because of the handful of devices I have, so I am using the 4520ci with over all no problems besides this.

If I plug my HTPC into the 4520 (HTPC>4520ci>HDMI 2.0 port on the TV), the settings for video out will ONLY go to 2160p @ 30hz (this results in sluggish video, 4k videos break up and very choppy MC performance navigating around). This must be the EDID on the 4520 with this limit. No matter what I have tried (disabling all video processing an everything else on the 4520), I can ONLY get 2160p @ 30hz/

Is this a limit of the 4K on the 4520 ? IS there something I can do to modify the 4520ci to support 2160p @60hz ? Or should I be looking for a 3rd party switch and avoiding doing any switching on the 4520 ?

So close to what I think right now is the holy grail when it comes to 4K but, so far....

Or should I be calling Denon on this to see if they have any plans to fix/adress it ?

Please help if you can, IS there any way possible I can get 2160p @ 60hz through the 4520ci ??????

Thanks in advance !
Look at page 192 in the 4520 owner's manual. The max resolution the receiver supports is 4K @ 30Hz. As you suggested, you'll need an external switch. Or a new receiver.
Matt2026's Avatar Matt2026 11:15 PM 01-04-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post

Thanks in advance !
Since the 4510 will not pass the 4K/60 signal is there more than one HDMI input on your LG 65ub9500 that would allow you to switch between your 4510 and the PC? Just throwing this out as a suggestion/question as I have no idea if that is possible and would it work. Could be audio problems/challenges???
Tags: Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
First ... 362  363  364 365  366  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop