The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 370 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #11071 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
I'd also like to hear how Oink came to that conclusion and with what particular Emotiva amp, which speakers and how he did the a/b. When I hooked the 4520 up yesterday I didn't use my power amps and the Denon doesn't seem to have any amp issues so far, but I haven't really cranked it up on familiar materials yet either. I will also be trying the power amps soon to see if there's any difference but I'm doubting it so far.
The Denon's amps don't have "issues," per se.
As far as I can tell, they do exactly what they are supposed to do.
What I am talking about is dynamic audio quality, with clarity and expansion of the sound field that high powered amps can deliver.

I repeat, the Denon's amps do what they are supposed to do....seriously, there isn't anything "wrong" with them.
They are just fine for what Denon intended.

Swine are good people too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11072 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2991 Post(s)
Liked: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
1). It is a simple, non scientific test in my HT with a M&K Sound S150II THX Ultra2 Certified setup.
2) Assuming "pre-amp" mode in the Denon means the internal amps are NOT used.
3) Whether or not the Denon's display/manual is being "honest," I can't vouch for.
I don't care which amp is active...I go with what I hear.
4) BD lossless, of course.
OK thanks. Do you have the answers to the 4 questions I asked? I am wondering if you realise the importance of very precise level-matching and instantaneous switching, for example? If those two things alone are ignored, then, unfortunately, there are no meaningful conclusions which can be drawn from the test undertaken. The reason for the former is that it has been proven beyond doubt that unless units are precisely level matched to +/- 0.5dB, the louder unit will always "sound best" subjectively and will be preferred by a majority of listeners, consistently. And the reason the instantaneous switching is important is that human auditory memory only lasts for 3 or 4 seconds at best - so if the switch between units takes longer than that, then no conclusions at all can be drawn simply because the listener has no idea now what the first unit sounded like.

Of course, people do hear differences between units all the time, but this is almost always because of the improper way in which the tests have been set up. The other factor is inescapable human bias - when we know which unit is playing our biases eliminate the possibility of objectivity. Even when we understand human cognitive bias very well, we cannot control it or eliminate it in our minds as it is a subconscious phenomenon.

Normally none of this matters - if someone believes they hear a difference and comes to the conclusion that one unit "sounds better" than another, that is their own personal business. The problem arises if people spend money based on those (false) beliefs or on the 'recommendations' of others who hold those beliefs. It could be, for example, disastrous, if someone exchanged a perfectly good unit for another because he had been led to believe it sounded better when in fact, measured objectively, it doesn't.

As an aside, salesmen have long since known that customers always prefer the louder unit when they do these random, unscientific tests, and so the practice of nudging up the volume on the more expensive unit is commonplace.
post #11073 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 03:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The 4520's amps do not produce as dynamic sound as my Emotiva MPS-1.
And, in theory, they shouldn't.
In fact, in theory they should!

Quote:

It would be amazing if they did.
It would be even more amazing if they didn't
post #11074 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
In fact, in theory they should!

It would be even more amazing if they didn't
I have the schematics of the avr45620's amplifiers that I share here. I have verified that the parts shown in the diagrams are exactly what are in the boards.
In theory, at least, the amplifiers of the avr4520s will not sound better than a pocket radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4520.png
Views:	38
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	501034  
post #11075 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doognam View Post
I have the schematics of the avr45620's amplifiers that I share here. I have verified that the parts shown in the diagrams are exactly what are in the boards.
In theory, at least, the amplifiers of the avr4520s will not sound better than a pocket radio.
That explains why everyone who has this unit describes the sound as "no better than a pocket radio".
post #11076 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2908 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Lol ...I bet the that the internal amps in the 7200 sound better than my own pocket r.a.d.i.o.

* The 4520 receiver has nine internal amps (150 Watts x 9), and it weights less than 40 pounds (36.38 lbs).
/// The main transformer is what, 700VA? (780 Watts). ...And the two main caps; 22,000uF each (71 Volts).
...The heat sinks are made of solid aluminum (2 short ones).
- The bench tests are pretty good. ...Over 100 watts x 7 channels simultaneously (8 Ohms | 0.1% THD). ...Quite powerful amps for a 36 pounds receiver.

Last edited by NorthSky; Yesterday at 08:53 AM.
post #11077 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
OK thanks. Do you have the answers to the 4 questions I asked?
I gave you answers, accept or reject is your option.

Quote:
I am wondering if you realise the importance of very precise level-matching and instantaneous switching for example?
No, of course I don't.

Quote:
human auditory memory only lasts for 3 or 4 seconds at best.
And here I thought I could tell the difference between the voices of Ronald Reagan and Rich Little.

Quote:
Of course, people do hear differences between units all the time, but this is almost always because of the improper way in which the tests have been set up. The other factor is inescapable human bias - when we know which unit is playing our biases eliminate the possibility of objectivity. Even when we understand human cognitive bias very well, we cannot control it or eliminate it in our minds as it is a subconscious phenomenon.

Normally none of this matters - if someone believes they hear a difference and comes to the conclusion that one unit "sounds better" than another, that is their own personal business. The problem arises if people spend money based on those (false) beliefs or on the 'recommendations' of others who hold those beliefs. It could be, for example, disastrous, if someone exchanged a perfectly good unit for another because he had been led to believe it sounded better when in fact, measured objectively, it doesn't.

As an aside, salesmen have long since known that customers always prefer the louder unit when they do these random, unscientific tests, and so the practice of nudging up the volume on the more expensive unit is commonplace.
Yes, I know all about this "phenomenon" or theory.
However, it is important to realize NO ONE can interpret sound waves exactly as another does.
Last I checked, we are all unique.

To say someone can or cannot hear a difference in 2 very different amps is, well.....

post #11078 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And here I thought I could tell the difference between the voices of Ronald Reagan and Rich Little.
Auditory memory isn't what that is about. Google has plenty of information on it - it is a well understood psychological phenomenon.

Quote:

Yes, I know all about this "phenomenon" or theory.
However, it is important to realize NO ONE can interpret sound waves exactly as another does.
Last I checked, we are all unique.
It isn’t a theory. It is a fact, generally accepted in scientific circles, with huge amounts of research behind it. Again, google has tons of information on it.

Quote:
To say someone can or cannot hear a difference in 2 very different amps is, well.....
Good job I didn't say that then But your random listening tests, which fly in the face of all accepted science, mean that you cannot hear the differences you believe you hear, other than where any differences exist as a result solely of the flawed nature of the tests.
post #11079 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
The Denon's amps don't have "issues," per se.
As far as I can tell, they do exactly what they are supposed to do.
What I am talking about is dynamic audio quality, with clarity and expansion of the sound field that high powered amps can deliver.

I repeat, the Denon's amps do what they are supposed to do....seriously, there isn't anything "wrong" with them.
They are just fine for what Denon intended.
But your amps aren't as high powered as the ones I was using so that's not it. Expansion of the sound field? Is that like airier highs and tighter bass and better sex when she sees your sexy blue lights? LOL! Sounds like you just hooked up your old amp and went merrily on your way in amp fantasy world....
kbarnes701 likes this.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #11080 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Lol ...I bet the that the internal amps in the 7200 sound better than my own pocket r.a.d.i.o.

* The 4520 receiver has nine internal amps (150 Watts x 9), and it weights less than 40 pounds (36.38 lbs).
/// The main transformer is what, 700VA? (780 Watts). ...And the two main caps; 22,000uF each (71 Volts).
...The heat sinks are made of solid aluminum (2 short ones).
- The bench tests are pretty good. ...Over 100 watts x 7 channels simultaneously (8 Ohms | 0.1% THD). ...Quite powerful amps for a 36 pounds receiver.
THD figures may or may not relate to the sound quality of the avr. Different set of harmonic distortions may produce the same THD figure but will produce noticeably different sound qualities.

THD figures are usually arrived at using a single frequency. If real music with a mixture of 20hz-20khz content was used then I would imagine that the magnitude of some harmonic and non-harmonic distortions produced by the 4520 would even exceed 100% of the original signal.

Power and THD of amps do not say much about SQ. Most PA amps with more power and even lower THD figures may not be suitable for serious music-listening in the home.

Last edited by doognam; Yesterday at 12:34 PM. Reason: corrected imprecise description of distortion
post #11081 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
THD figures may or may not relate to the sound quality of the avr. Different set of harmonic distortions may produce the same THD figure but will produce noticeably different sound qualities.

THD figures are usually arrived at using a single frequency. If real music with a mixture of 20hz-20khz content was used then I would imagine that the magnitude of some harmonic and non-harmonic distortions produced by the 4520 would even exceed 100% of the original signal.

Power and THD of amps do not say much about SQ. Most PA amps with more power and even lower THD figures may not be suitable for serious music-listening in the home.
I'd love to see the evidence substantiating those claims.
post #11082 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, there is more than THD, there are several other type of distortion.

I was simply referring to those very basic lab tests here: http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ver-test-bench
post #11083 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
But your amps aren't as high powered as the ones I was using so that's not it. Expansion of the sound field? Is that like airier highs and tighter bass and better sex when she sees your sexy blue lights? LOL!
Those words are a euphemism of mine for fidelity (more life-like) that sounds as though it comes from within the room itself (ie, actually someone talking in the room), rather than from the speakers themselves.
I don't mean an ACTUAL expansion of the sound field.

Quote:
Auditory memory isn't what that is about. Google has plenty of information on it - it is a well understood psychological phenomenon.

It isn’t a theory. It is a fact, generally accepted in scientific circles, with huge amounts of research behind it. Again, google has tons of information on it.

Good job I didn't say that then But your random listening tests, which fly in the face of all accepted science, mean that you cannot hear the differences you believe you hear, other than where any differences exist as a result solely of the flawed nature of the tests.
I am not getting into argument over exactly what someone may or may not hear.

If you want to speculate the amps in the 4520 sound as good as the MPS-1 amps, you are welcome to it.

post #11084 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those words are a euphemism of mine for fidelity (more life-like) that sounds as though it comes from within the room itself (ie, actually someone talking in the room), rather than from the speakers themselves.
I don't mean an ACTUAL expansion of the sound field.

I am not getting into argument over exactly what someone may or may not hear.

If you want to speculate the amps in the 4520 sound as good as the MPS-1 amps, you are welcome to it.
I'm more curious how it is possible for a power amp to do what you describe rather than the preamp/dsp it is being run by....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #11085 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
post #11086 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Why can't I find the MPS-1 on the Emotiva site?
Possibly because it's an old model that has been discontinued? A quick Google search found reviews from 2005.

On another note... You guys really ought to lighten up a bit and give oink a break. If he's happy with using his Emotiva amp(s), that's all that really matters. When someone says they did an A/B comparison, it doesn't always mean they followed strict scientific testing. The way he worded the "A&B test" in his post, I took it to mean that he simply tried it both ways. Most people don't have the equipment on hand that would be needed to perform a rigorous scientific A/B test between 2 amps. The follow up posts seem awfully aggressive in telling him that his opinion is wrong and are veering into what really belongs in the Audio Theory forum.
post #11087 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

post #11088 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm more curious how it is possible for a power amp to do what you describe rather than the preamp/dsp it is being run by....
No DSP used.
Every output is set in Denon's "Pure Audio" mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Possibly because it's an old model that has been discontinued? A quick Google search found reviews from 2005.
Yup, that's the one.

Quote:
On another note... You guys really ought to lighten up a bit and give oink a break. If he's happy with using his Emotiva amp(s), that's all that really matters. When someone says they did an A/B comparison, it doesn't always mean they followed strict scientific testing. The way he worded the "A&B test" in his post, I took it to mean that he simply tried it both ways. Most people don't have the equipment on hand that would be needed to perform a rigorous scientific A/B test between 2 amps. The follow up posts seem awfully aggressive in telling him that his opinion is wrong and are veering into what really belongs in the Audio Theory forum.
Thank you for the kind word.

Please allow me to explain how I did the comparison:
1) Because the 4520 does not have balanced XLR outputs, I used RCAs between the 2.
2) Although my HT room is small, I do have a 7.1 setup, with front speakers 12 ft. away from the listening area.
3) I did not use the Denon's Audyssey room correction software (not opposed to it, someday I'll probably give it try).
4) I used my trusty ol' Radio Shack analog sound meter.
5) I used a BD I am very familiar with (Fellowship of the Ring).
6) I spent an hour switching back and forth between the 2 sets of amps.
7) Afterwards, I asked Ms. Oink to set and listen and tell me which sounded best to her (she is a trained classical musician with perfect pitch).
8) She re-affirmed my impressions.

Guys, I'm not trying to pick a fight....seriously.
There is no need for any panty-bunching.
Just to be clear, I have purchased more Denon equipment in the last 20 years than any other.

I have been a high-fidelity lover for more the 40 years.
I know what my ears tell me.

post #11089 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm trying to decide between the Denon x4000, x4520CI, and x4100W.

1. Do all three handle playing multi-channel FLAC files from the network?
  2. Does the Denon phone/tablet app work the same for all three models?
  3. The 4100 says it's Windows 8 compatible. The 4520 says Windows 7. Does the mean the 4520 can't play from my Windows 8 HTPC?
  4. What is DSD audio streaming?
Thanks in advance!
post #11090 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No DSP used.
Every output is set in Denon's "Pure Audio" mode.

Yup, that's the one.

Thank you for the kind word.

Please allow me to explain how I did the comparison:
1) Because the 4520 does not have balanced XLR outputs, I used RCAs between the 2.
2) Although my HT room is small, I do have a 7.1 setup, with front speakers 12 ft. away from the listening area.
3) I did not use the Denon's Audyssey room correction software (not opposed to it, someday I'll probably give it try).
4) I used my trusty ol' Radio Shack analog sound meter.
5) I used a BD I am very familiar with (Fellowship of the Ring).
6) I spent an hour switching back and forth between the 2 sets of amps.
7) Afterwards, I asked Ms. Oink to set and listen and tell me which sounded best to her (she is a trained classical musician with perfect pitch).
8) She re-affirmed my impressions.

Guys, I'm not trying to pick a fight....seriously.
There is no need for any panty-bunching.
Just to be clear, I have purchased more Denon equipment in the last 20 years than any other.

I have been a high-fidelity lover for more the 40 years.
I know what my ears tell me.
Not trying to pick a fight but your previous posts were seriously lacking and while this one offers more it's still leaving me ??? Like first why the heck did you get a 4520 if you're not going to use the dsp nor amps? That's one expensive switch.

What spl levels did you do your tests at? How did you setup without Audyssey? You have the M&K S150 all around for 5 or 7 ch? what for subs? Details man, details! Now that I've seen more info on the MPS1 than I originally found I'd say my amps are more equivalent than more powerful.

You and your wife's ears may be fine or even marvelous, but we're not you let alone know your setup, more details of your comparo, and details about your room, tastes, etc. I've used amps a lot, I just don't find them magically drastically different if they're functioning as intended.

post #11091 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs down What

What the hell.
post #11092 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 873
I checked out Super 8 from my Popcorn Hour Media Player. And it did turn the compression on in my 4520. But once I turned that off and tried playing it again it didn't turn back on. But I guess I need to try it again after I have turned my 4520 back on again after being off.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11093 of 11093 Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Really tempted to take one of these bad boys for a test run. Hoping to sell my Parasound Halo A52, to offset the cost. Just wondering if I would be underwhelmed? Also have AV 7005 Marantz ,along with Ascend Acoustic Sierra Ones in my system. Velodyne SPL1200R still performing good for 6 years now. Nice subwoofer it has been for me. Also, the AV 7005 has been a stellar performer. I love my Sierra Ones as well.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page