The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 371 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #11101 of 11111 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Yes, my 4520 sounds much better since I added an Emotiva XPA - 200 2 channel amp. But only because that let me add 2 more speakers, for a full 11.2 surround system !

Craig, so funny you should say that! One of the reasons I was leaning towards the 4520 is the better amp section. I was actually hoping I might eliminate my Emotive XPA-5. I've got two great powered subs, a fairly small room (10" x 16"), and don't get much opportunity to listen to my music at max volume theses day. I was hoping the sale of the XPA-5 might help partially finance my purchase of the new AVR.

Any thoughts? Will imbed disappointed using the 4520 without an external amp in a 5.2 setup that's used for mostly pop/rock music at moderate volume in a small room?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11102 of 11111 Unread Yesterday, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1705
It takes almost no power at all to reach moderate volumes. Consider a typical 90dB sensitive speaker -- that means it puts out 90dB with ONE WATT of power at one meter distance. Even when you substract some power for distance it's still really, really loud with one watt.

Because of the exponential nature of power demands (a 10dB increase in SPL requires 10x the power) it takes very little power to reach pretty loud SPL... until, all of a sudden, you need a lot of power. It's those last 10dB that really gets you.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11103 of 11111 Unread Yesterday, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
Craig, so funny you should say that! One of the reasons I was leaning towards the 4520 is the better amp section. I was actually hoping I might eliminate my Emotive XPA-5. I've got two great powered subs, a fairly small room (10" x 16"), and don't get much opportunity to listen to my music at max volume theses day. I was hoping the sale of the XPA-5 might help partially finance my purchase of the new AVR.

Any thoughts? Will imbed disappointed using the 4520 without an external amp in a 5.2 setup that's used for mostly pop/rock music at moderate volume in a small room?

Thanks!
I thought my 4520 with new Martin Logan Motion series speakers in a 23' x 17'6" room sounded excellent - with a good sub ( I have an SVS cylinder sub ) Blu Rays sound outstanding. The only reason I got the amp was to run 11 channels. It can play ridiculously loud, and clean. I can get even my " I like my movies loud " friends to cry Uncle. No hiss or other sound with a volume of 75 and no signal either. So if 9 channels is good enough, you should be happy.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #11104 of 11111 Unread Yesterday, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Thanks!
I am happy with my 4520 Amps in a bit larger room (26 x 22) but rarely listen higher than -7.5 db, more typically -20 to -10db. I have NOT, however, compared with an external amp. What is the sensitivity on your speakers? My Triads Silver LCR are 89 on the sensitivity scale.
post #11105 of 11111 Unread Yesterday, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I thought my 4520 with new Martin Logan Motion series speakers in a 23' x 17'6" room sounded excellent - with a good sub ( I have an SVS cylinder sub ) Blu Rays sound outstanding. The only reason I got the amp was to run 11 channels. It can play ridiculously loud, and clean. I can get even my " I like my movies loud " friends to cry Uncle. No hiss or other sound with a volume of 75 and no signal either. So if 9 channels is good enough, you should be happy.
Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by elee532; Yesterday at 06:13 PM.
post #11106 of 11111 Unread Yesterday, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Thanks!

The Denon 4520ci in your described room should blow you away!

...Glenn
post #11107 of 11111 Unread Yesterday, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
I am happy with my 4520 Amps in a bit larger room (26 x 22) but rarely listen higher than -7.5 db, more typically -20 to -10db. I have NOT, however, compared with an external amp. What is the sensitivity on your speakers? My Triads Silver LCR are 89 on the sensitivity scale.
Salk Song Tower, listed as 88db, 4 ohms nominal, 6 ohms average.
post #11108 of 11111 Unread Today, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I apologies to oink for my joking comment about his sound opinion,I didn't intend to help fuel such scrutiny
got mine today and did a hookup to the 4 towers without the sub included,a nice change in sound type as compared to my Kenwood,output is ,tighter,punchier bass,fuller mid range and highs more pronounced and better channel separation
stronger amp output and as much likely to the better dac's of the 4520 as compared to the sound signature of the Xonar D2X card
I noticed the flashing remote syndrome already with no sub in the mix
I setup a Onkyo 3008 in the past and see through menu's Denon has is an improvement
gotta get the center speaker from them(eta middle march) but today the sub gets introduced with no room correction yet for a while

1.AsusXonarD2X...Kenwood8540...CarverTFM55x....... .901Bose
2.nVidiaHDmi...DENON AVR-4520CI...EMPTeKR55Tix4... R56Ci(coming soon)...SVSUltra/2...Toshiba55WX800U
post #11109 of 11111 Unread Today, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Thanks!
The 4520s have 9 relatively slightly more powerful but not better amps. All of them 9 identical amps are of the most basic amplifier design.
I would not buy a 4520 because of its 9 amps.
post #11110 of 11111 Unread Today, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Liked: 975
You buy it for the preamp first, with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, then for being a receiver (with internal amplification).

But if you want real juice for some serious speakers requiring lots of current and bass power with real verve; then you use serious external amplification for those serious speakers.

The 4520 @ about $1,000 right now is a serious surround sound processor with serious bass management inside. ...And a very serious good deal.
/// The nine amps are free.
post #11111 of 11111 Unread Today, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Salk Song Tower, listed as 88db, 4 ohms nominal, 6 ohms average.
IMHO Unless you tend to listen at reference you will be quite happy with the 4520.

Edit: I should qualify the "Unless you tend to listen at reference" part! You might be quite happy also listening at reference but I can't really comment because I have only pushed mine to reference a few times, and only for short periods. I might do that more if I can ever get WAF for some room treatments

The few times I did, it was fine though considering the room.

Last edited by bgoering; Today at 06:50 AM. Reason: More info
post #11112 of 11111 Unread Today, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 874
reference? If I even came close to reference level I would be half deaf. Even playing a BD at -25 has everything rattling from all the bass in my setup from my svs.. And everything coming from the speakers connected to the 4520 amps is extremely loud. I'm usually around -30 when playing a BD. Up to -19 when watching broadcast because of the high dial norm(-4db to -10db) that is always applied.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page