The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 372 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #11131 of 11148 Old 01-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap View Post
As far as I can tell, the 4520CI can't play multi-channel files from the network. FLAC, AAC, DD, whatever, it won't do it. Stereo only.

Yikes, are you serious? This is not cool, as I already ordered the 4520. Ugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11132 of 11148 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap View Post
As far as I can tell, the 4520CI can't play multi-channel files from the network. FLAC, AAC, DD, whatever, it won't do it. Stereo only.

DSD is the format from super audio CDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
Where do you guys get multichannel FLAC, AAC (what's DD...usually stands for dolby digital?) files?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #11133 of 11148 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Where do you guys get multichannel FLAC, AAC (what's DD...usually stands for dolby digital?) files?
I ripped all of my DVD-Audio disks, and more recently I have been ripping the High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray disks (some are multi-channel, but some are just stereo). I have also ripped Blu-Ray disks with concerts because if they are dts-HD Master Audio then they are also lossless. And finally, I have ripped good old DVD's, some with multi-channel Dolby Digital and some with dts. Sure, they're lossy, but they can still sound great.

Mike
elee532 likes this.
post #11134 of 11148 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
It's a limitation in the network player that it would only do stereo (a bit weird I know)
I honestly don't know many network streamers that would do surround flac files or surround audio unless its baked in with video, this was in fact one of the reasons I got the oppo 103D that plays anything I throw at it.

Before I got the oppo I would have to use a computer hooked into the avr with HDMI (had that for xbmc anyways) but now I only use that for gaming.
post #11135 of 11148 Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 629
See this thread for a relatively inexpensive solution:

Kodi (XBMC) via Chromebox

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC64ii, SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4, SUB: PSA T-18 x 2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #11136 of 11148 Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
I ripped all of my DVD-Audio disks, and more recently I have been ripping the High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray disks (some are multi-channel, but some are just stereo). I have also ripped Blu-Ray disks with concerts because if they are dts-HD Master Audio then they are also lossless. And finally, I have ripped good old DVD's, some with multi-channel Dolby Digital and some with dts. Sure, they're lossy, but they can still sound great.

Mike
Thanks, that I might like to learn how to do one of these days.... although currently I don't have a NAS or any significant storage device, and as the disk is handy to pop in the player not sure that I'll be looking into that for a while.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #11137 of 11148 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
It's a limitation in the network player that it would only do stereo (a bit weird I know)

Demon should make this clear! The specs say lossless FLAC is supported. If that support is limited to stereo FLAC, why would they not state that? Streaming FLAC 5.1 was one of my primary reasons for getting a new AVR... XT32 and dual sub support were the other 2.

I appreciate the Kodi suggestion. Ironically though, getting rid of my existing HTPC which is running Kodi was another of the reasons I was getting this new AVR. Too many devices. Too many freeze UPS, error messages, update messages, etc.
post #11138 of 11148 Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I honestly don't know many network streamers that would do surround flac files or surround audio

Any idea what the limitation is?
post #11139 of 11148 Unread Yesterday, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Number of people who even know what it is?

post #11140 of 11148 Unread Yesterday, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Number of people who even know what it is?

I can play FLAC 5.1 files with Windows Media Player. It's not THAT obscure. :-)
post #11141 of 11148 Unread Today, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It takes almost no power at all to reach moderate volumes. Consider a typical 90dB sensitive speaker -- that means it puts out 90dB with ONE WATT of power at one meter distance. Even when you substract some power for distance it's still really, really loud with one watt.

Because of the exponential nature of power demands (a 10dB increase in SPL requires 10x the power) it takes very little power to reach pretty loud SPL... until, all of a sudden, you need a lot of power. It's those last 10dB that really gets you.
bat pig, You are one of my A/V heros! Always stating facts. As I personally found out on 3 different Denon receivers (AVR-4802, AVR-4810 and my current AVR-4520), sometimes the internal amplifier is not powerful enough. When trying to get those "last 10dB" and the Denon's internal amps start clipping, you Hear that to make it any louder (and remain listenable), you need external help! Thank You for your invaluable advice over the years. You have highly influenced several purchases and have not steered me wrong yet.
Thanks Again.
Blessings, Brian
wilbur_the_goose likes this.
post #11142 of 11148 Unread Today, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
I have no real knowledge but if I was to guess, I'd say it was a combination with DSP paths and software, something like the network audio software player is only connected to the avr with two channels.

Anyways I'm just theorising wildly at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock3540 View Post
bat pig, You are one of my A/V heros! Always stating facts. As I personally found out on 3 different Denon receivers (AVR-4802, AVR-4810 and my current AVR-4520), sometimes the internal amplifier is not powerful enough. When trying to get those "last 10dB" and the Denon's internal amps start clipping, you Hear that to make it any louder (and remain listenable), you need external help! Thank You for your invaluable advice over the years. You have highly influenced several purchases and have not steered me wrong yet.
Thanks Again.
Blessings, Brian
Speaker sensitivity is measured with 1khz tone outputs, as the frequency of the sound that is reproduced changes so would the needed power output change. I wonder how loud a 40hz tone would be with one watt of power ?
And that fact alone pretty much invalidates the entire rating for all practical purposes.
Batpig certainly isn't wrong, but he isn't correct either, and this is pretty much why discussions such as these never really go anywhere good.

I bought an emotiva xpa5 while I had my former pioneer elite, cause with my new speakers it started sounding compressed during hectic scenes with lots of explosions at around mv -24.
I did the math then, and power REALLY shouldn't have been a problem (my entire 5 speaker system shouldn't need more than 150 watts at desired levels put together)
But testing out the xpa with that was night and day, I still have my xpa 5 with the denon cause it does sound better with it than without to my own subjective experience and testing, nowhere near the difference as with the pioneer which started sounding like it engaged DRC as things got interesting, but it does eliminate any need or desire for engaging dialog enhancer. A feature I found myself reaching for throughout my week of testing without the emo.

Would it spur me to buy an emo as the pioneer did. No.
Is the difference enough for me to keep the xpa5. Yes.

Last edited by TorTorden; Today at 06:48 AM.
post #11143 of 11148 Unread Today, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 885
This site

http://www.2l.no/hires/

has a bunch of high res FLAC files. In stereo and 5.1. I remember trying some last year with my Sony S6200. But I guess my SOny S6200 decoded them to pcm before being sent to my 4520.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11144 of 11148 Unread Today, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have no real knowledge but if I was to guess, I'd say it was a combination with DSP paths and software, something like the network audio software player is only connected to the avr with two channels.

Anyways I'm just theorising wildly at this point.

Speaker sensitivity is measured with 1khz tone outputs, as the frequency of the sound that is reproduced changes so would the needed power output change. I wonder how loud a 40hz tone would be with one watt of power ?
And that fact alone pretty much invalidates the entire rating for all practical purposes.
Batpig certainly isn't wrong, but he isn't correct either, and this is pretty much why discussions such as these never really go anywhere good.

I bought an emotiva xpa5 while I had my former pioneer elite, cause with my new speakers it started sounding compressed during hectic scenes with lots of explosions at around mv -24.
I did the math then, and power REALLY shouldn't have been a problem (my entire 5 speaker system shouldn't need more than 150 watts at desired levels put together)
But testing out the xpa with that was night and day, I still have my xpa 5 with the denon cause it does sound better with it than without to my own subjective experience and testing, nowhere near the difference as with the pioneer which started sounding like it engaged DRC as things got interesting, but it does eliminate any need or desire for engaging dialog enhancer. A feature I found myself reaching for throughout my week of testing without the emo.

Would it spur me to buy an emo as the pioneer did. No.
Is the difference enough for me to keep the xpa5. Yes.
Yes, its nicer to have more detailed specs rather than just a guideline. What speakers was your experience above with?

post #11145 of 11148 Unread Today, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
How do you set DSX Wide on this unit? On my 4310, there was a setting to direct it to do DSX Wide whenever it detected a 5.1 signal. I hooked up my wides to the correct terminals on this 4520, selected 9.1, ran Audyssey, but the DSX Wide is greyed out on 5.1 sources. What am I doing wrong?
post #11146 of 11148 Unread Today, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Okay, I selected 7.1 in amp assign, and then I was able to select DSX wide. All is good.
post #11147 of 11148 Unread Today, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any user adjustment possible on the panel display? Specifically with Pandora the panel reads the song title on top line and then time and % (of internet signal apparently) on the bottom line instead of artist like my last avr did.... Bueller?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page