The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 379 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #11341 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hmmm.. why cant I find classic deep cuts? also, when you push the music (red button) is stereo all that happens, cause that's all I get. How do ya get multi ch music? I must say, I've set up lots of avr's, this one is rather odd. It did not know I had two subs??? I have to tell it in the set up. I would have thought in this level it would know if I plugged in a cable. Of course it's not fully set up although I ran audyssey 8 positions, certainly not impressed so far with sound, just ok. I would think it should beat my 972 out of the box, much less with correction??

It's a work in progress, just not a user friendly set up in my book. I like lots of options, when they are arranged in a logical manor. I'm sure I'll get it figured out or just start over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 2075
What are "classic deep cuts"?

Hold the green/red/blue buttons for several seconds to get the full options to pop up for selection.
post #11343 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

I just did a firmware update, this unit starts with ser.402xxx, it acts better. Classic deep cuts is a station I listen to on vtuner or tunein. The network/my nas does work fine, and I thank you for the hold the button info. This may be the first avr I have ever read the general use manual for. I usually only read for some obscure feature because even trinnov was almost self explained. Onkyo are a breeze, HK too, even Yamaha is not too bad. The last Denon was a 3805, pretty simple, thanks again....
post #11344 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post
Hmmm.. why cant I find classic deep cuts? also, when you push the music (red button) is stereo all that happens, cause that's all I get. How do ya get multi ch music?
Press and hold the red button.

Edit: Didn't see you already got the answer.
post #11345 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I'm hoping that I don't need to change the room other than add ceiling speakers - really looking forward to seeing what DTS:X brings. I want 11.4.2. In my theater, that would mean speakers blasting at you from every which way. And of course my wife will still tell me " it's too loud, turn it down ".
That is almost Exactly what I want. I now have 11.2 (with Eight 18" subwoofers for my ".2"). I was going to upgrade to the
X7200 but think I'll wait until the next Denon flagship (2016?). Too many unknowns at the moment and after I hook up all of
my equipment and get everything "just right", there is no way I'm breaking it all back down and sending it in to Denon for
HDCP 2.2.
I have already purchased 4 more speakers for ceiling mounting hoping I can use them for Atmos .
Was going to purchase another Emotiva amp to power these 4 but after thinking about it, I may just use 4 of the internal
amp channels since I'm currently only using 4 on my 4520 to power my heights and wides and it doesn't get too hot (or at least it doesn't go into protection mode). 11.4.2...., Yeah, That's What I Want!
Blessings,
Brian
P.S. My wife says the same thing.

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."

Last edited by Glock3540; 02-20-2015 at 06:57 PM.
post #11346 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Well...after a good while doing several Audyssey runs I'm not really feeling it. This unit as of yet has not been up to my old avr 972 standard of audio. It has decent power, nothing breathtaking, it is pretty bright for a Denon, my last Denon 3805 years ago was rather soft almost boring (same speakers). Some things work pretty well, the network is quick but capability is rather crude compared to my 5 year old Onkyo in another room?? But the unit overall just acts as though it's confused sometimes. There is always a chance there is an issue in the unit causing my grief.

The video is ok, as good anyway as it was. I'm just not sold on the sound, at lower volume its not too bad but as volume increases the sound gets rather congested. I suppose I was thinking it would be an upgrade along with improved operation and features. I suppose if there is a positive it sounds pretty clean at lower levels.

I may just be disappointed overall initially and tomorrow will be better. I plan on running more Audyssey runs and see if there is an improvement. Of course any suggestions are welcome.
post #11347 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Quote:
But the unit overall just acts as though it's confused sometimes.
What do you mean by "just acts as though it's confused sometimes"? I don't understand.
post #11348 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Well...after a good while doing several Audyssey runs I'm not really feeling it. This unit as of yet has not been up to my old avr 972 standard of audio. It has decent power, nothing breathtaking, it is pretty bright for a Denon, my last Denon 3805 years ago was rather soft almost boring (same speakers). Some things work pretty well, the network is quick but capability is rather crude compared to my 5 year old Onkyo in another room?? But the unit overall just acts as though it's confused sometimes. There is always a chance there is an issue in the unit causing my grief.

The video is ok, as good anyway as it was. I'm just not sold on the sound, at lower volume its not too bad but as volume increases the sound gets rather congested. I suppose I was thinking it would be an upgrade along with improved operation and features. I suppose if there is a positive it sounds pretty clean at lower levels.

I may just be disappointed overall initially and tomorrow will be better. I plan on running more Audyssey runs and see if there is an improvement. Of course any suggestions are welcome.
Make sure you have checked out the Audyssey 101 thread for getting the best out of XT32. My initial reaction is you had a bad measurement.

If it's still too bright, you can engage Cinema EQ. It rolls off the top of the FR. Audyssey does the same thing so I typically wouldn't do both. I have helped another user though where that fixed that issue for them.

Denon 4520CI
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35:::::::::Denon DBT 3313UDCI::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage(c)::::ML Aerius I(l/r)::::ML Motion FX(fw/s)::::ML Scripts(sb)
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
post #11349 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
What do you mean by "just acts as though it's confused sometimes"? I don't understand.
A few times I went to the setup and nothing would be an option, exit and return then options available. I unplugged it and turned it back on after a few minutes and that has not happened again.Sometimes streaming music it just skips to the next song, or starts the song over, or just makes a garbled sound then plays fine. I put in a concert after a few songs the audio just cut out for a moment, just a few odd things like that. I may reset and start all over tomorrow if there are anymore issues.
post #11350 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got the 4520 today. After running Audyssey, my Ipod n HD Radio freakin rocks. Blu-ray n movies saved on cable, not as dynamic. It would be nice if you could change the speaker DB settings somewhere else instead of the test-tone in audio section of the GUI. I need to make sound adjustments on the fly as Blu-ray movies, hi-def cable movies, sports on cable, and Ipod, all vary in their degree of sound quality. If I have to go into the audio section every time I want to make an adjustment, that's not gonna work for me. The 3100 had five X's as many options in the setup menus allowing you to really tinker with the sound. The options button allowed you to change the speaker db levels, and a few other sound settings. It would, also, save the adjustments I made for each source I was using. I'm downloading the firmware update as we speak. I hope it adds some of the features that are on the 3100 n missing on this one.

I know there's a beast in here, just need to figure out how to unleash it!

Thanks,
post #11351 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
Make sure you have checked out the Audyssey 101 thread for getting the best out of XT32. My initial reaction is you had a bad measurement.

If it's still too bright, you can engage Cinema EQ. It rolls off the top of the FR. Audyssey does the same thing so I typically wouldn't do both. I have helped another user though where that fixed that issue for them.
Yes that's a very informative thread, I've been doing all the various different mic Calibrations and have found better and worse ones.

Its kinda odd though, my 972 you just put the mic in the center point the mic and trinnov magic happened.I do use audyssey on my other units and typical set up gives good results. This is the only unit I've had poor results with after several runs/placements, although my recent one is the best yet.
post #11352 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revco2001 View Post
I just got the 4520 today. After running Audyssey, my Ipod n HD Radio freakin rocks. Blu-ray n movies saved on cable, not as dynamic. It would be nice if you could change the speaker DB settings somewhere else instead of the test-tone in audio section of the GUI. I need to make sound adjustments on the fly as Blu-ray movies, hi-def cable movies, sports on cable, and Ipod, all vary in their degree of sound quality. If I have to go into the audio section every time I want to make an adjustment, that's not gonna work for me. The 3100 had five X's as many options in the setup menus allowing you to really tinker with the sound. The options button allowed you to change the speaker db levels, and a few other sound settings. It would, also, save the adjustments I made for each source I was using. I'm downloading the firmware update as we speak. I hope it adds some of the features that are on the 3100 n missing on this one.

Thanks,
. I use an app called myav (remote app) on my tablet.It allows control of all channel parameters and quick button access to many settings.
post #11353 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 2075
Quote:

Thanks,
Probably just a level difference on the different inputs making them sound disparate? Perhaps adjusting input source level will be worth a try. Only subwoofer level is somewhat easily accessed.
Archaea likes this.
post #11354 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock3540 View Post
11.4.2...., Yeah, That's What I Want!
I think you (and Craig) mean 11.2.4. The middle number is the number of subwoofer channels and the third number is the number of extra Atmos channels.
Glock3540 likes this.
post #11355 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4773 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Can the Denon 4520 stream Netflix? ...Wirelessly.
post #11356 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Can the Denon 4520 stream Netflix?
No.
post #11357 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Can the Denon 4520 stream Netflix? ...Wirelessly.
It only has a few options at all in network input, maybe 5 or 6, I could see it if were Rotel or The like because they are sound oriented not Gizmo's. I always thought of Denon as on the leading edge of gizmos but this unit makes me think not. Most audio companies either do great sound or killer features...,.. This unit is in between, slightly better than run of the mill sound and slightly better than budget boutique features.
post #11358 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

I would like to Thank the original posters that kicked this thread off and all those that have offered help. It has made resolving some issues much easier.
post #11359 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Probably just a level difference on the different inputs making them sound disparate? Perhaps adjusting input source level will be worth a try. Only subwoofer level is somewhat easily accessed.
Not sure how to do this, but I'll have a cup of coffee n see if I can figure it out.

Starting to get the sound dialed in. I must say, after the audyssey calibration, the HSU bookshelf speakers sound really freaking good! I never realized the value of using calibration til now. In the past, I'd always turn the levels down on the HSU's cuz they were harsh compared to the Sierra's. Not now. I can't yet put my finger on the difference between the two, but it's a subtle one. Well done Dr. Hsu!
post #11360 of 12475 Old 02-20-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Not sure how to do this, but I'll have a cup of coffee n see if I can figure it out.

Starting to get the sound dialed in. I must say, after the audyssey calibration, the HSU bookshelf speakers sound really freaking good! I never realized the value of using calibration til now. In the past, I'd always turn the levels down on the HSU's cuz they were harsh compared to the Sierra's. Not now. I can't yet put my finger on the difference between the two, but it's a subtle one. Well done Dr. Hsu!
Maybe just a tad brighter than the Sierras.
post #11361 of 12475 Old 02-21-2015, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

This avr is nuts......I played one David Gilmour song on my server and now no matter what band I choose after a minute or so its back to Dave. I reset the network card info/back, it reset. I then went to another band and after just a minute or so back to Dave....One more reset the whole thing tomorrow, if that don't fix it b by.
post #11362 of 12475 Old 02-21-2015, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am really "looking" for a reason to purchase one of these right now. The current pricing is phenomenal, especially for a "flagship" unit.

Is it the "general consensus" on this thread that the 4520 is the real deal? Or does it leave a lot to be desired? I am mainly concerned with audio fidelity.
post #11363 of 12475 Old 02-21-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
It only has a few options at all in network input, maybe 5 or 6, I could see it if were Rotel or The like because they are sound oriented not Gizmo's. I always thought of Denon as on the leading edge of gizmos but this unit makes me think not. Most audio companies either do great sound or killer features...,.. This unit is in between, slightly better than run of the mill sound and slightly better than budget boutique features.
Sounds like you may be "on the fence" about whether or not you want to keep it. I would be hesitant about spending my hard earned money on a lateral move, or even worse.... a downgrade.
post #11364 of 12475 Old 02-21-2015, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 253
A4L has new units for $999 now
or refurbs for even less

for those that might be in the market

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC77 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #11365 of 12475 Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
A4L has new units for $999 now
or refurbs for even less

for those that might be in the market

Warren
Since A4L is not an authorized seller, what are the potential negative consequences of that? Is warranty shortened? Anything else?
post #11366 of 12475 Old 02-21-2015, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Since A4L is not an authorized seller, what are the potential negative consequences of that? Is warranty shortened? Anything else?

they are authorized

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC77 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #11367 of 12475 Old 02-21-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
they are authorized

Warren
My mistake. I quickly looked over this page and did not notice them at the very bottom of the page. Thanks.
post #11368 of 12475 Old 02-21-2015, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Yikes....I reset this thing today. I turned it back on, it started the initial set up like new. After about the part where you get to audyssey set up Dave Gilmour starts playin all on his own. I'm bout done with it, just messin with it cause its snowing outside today at this point.........

Anyone buying this avr make sure you can return it if need be........
post #11369 of 12475 Old 02-21-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Yikes....I reset this thing today. I turned it back on, it started the initial set up like new. After about the part where you get to audyssey set up Dave Gilmour starts playin all on his own. I'm bout done with it, just messin with it cause its snowing outside today at this point.........

Anyone buying this avr make sure you can return it if need be........
Sounds like you have a lemon, major bummer. Most units seem to be fine but the few defective units appear to have significant problems.

Denon 4520CI
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35:::::::::Denon DBT 3313UDCI::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage(c)::::ML Aerius I(l/r)::::ML Motion FX(fw/s)::::ML Scripts(sb)
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
post #11370 of 12475 Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Is there a way to Really reset this avr? I unplugged my media server, played music from my other pc's on the 4520. Shut off the 4520, new reset holding up/down while turning on. Went through set up again, plugged server back in, while playing music from pc, this thing, just freaks out goes to Dave Gilmour and starts playing and still is...........
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page