The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 384 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #11491 of 11520 Old 02-28-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
audyssey set my lcr's as full range, the sides with crossover at 80.

After a while i have set the bass managenet to mains+lfe, primarily and boosting the subs with about 3-4db.
Center adjusted to small, all crossovers now at 80.

The added bonus of this is for stereo content (music, tv etc) I honestly don't prefer using subs with this setting I can get full range from the mains and leave the subs off in audio settings, but for surround sound I get the meatier bass line with just the amount of punch I want
I understand where you are coming from. I miss the capability that I had on my 4311. I could have a completely different configuration for Stereo vs. Multi-Channel. It is convenient to be able to have different settings at the touch of a button. Unfortunately, Denon removed this capability from newer models starting with the 4520 generation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11492 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Fellas, I'm looking for some help. I just purchased a 4520 and I put hooked it up yesterday afternoon. It's a very nice avr and functionally everything works well with one exception. When I was watching netflix last night (on my ps3), everything I tried had split second audio dropouts every 5-10 seconds or so.

The reason I'm posting in this thread is because the denon is the only thing I've changed recently and I've never had this problem. I did not have this problem on discs or usb playback. I performed a firmware update on the denon last night and checked netflix this morning but the problem persists. Have any users reported something like this?
post #11493 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Fellas, I'm looking for some help. I just purchased a 4520 and I put hooked it up yesterday afternoon. It's a very nice avr and functionally everything works well with one exception. When I was watching netflix last night (on my ps3), everything I tried had split second audio dropouts every 5-10 seconds or so.

The reason I'm posting in this thread is because the denon is the only thing I've changed recently and I've never had this problem. I did not have this problem on discs or usb playback. I performed a firmware update on the denon last night and checked netflix this morning but the problem persists. Have any users reported something like this?

I haven't had the problem. But, if I had the issue, I would:
1) Try another cable from PS3 to 4520; 2)HDMI direct from PS3 to display. If you have the same dropouts, it's obviously your ps3 or internet. If you don't have the dropouts; 3) try another HDMI input on the 4520.
post #11494 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
1) Try another cable from PS3 to 4520; 2)HDMI direct from PS3 to display. If you have the same dropouts, it's obviously your ps3 or internet. If you don't have the dropouts; 3) try another HDMI input on the 4520.
Thank you. I'll give those a try today.
post #11495 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

I'm wondering what kind of output the Sony is passing, is it bitstream or something else? Is the Denon or Sony doing the audio processing?
post #11496 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
I'm wondering what kind of output the Sony is passing, is it bitstream or something else? Is the Denon or Sony doing the audio processing?
Last I checked, the ps3 sends everything out as pcm. You don't have a choice with that. After all, it's gonna be 7 years old this year. Jeez lol. I'm getting old.
post #11497 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Last I checked, the ps3 sends everything out as pcm. You don't have a choice with that. After all, it's gonna be 7 years old this year. Jeez lol. I'm getting old.
That would depend on whether you have a slim PS3 or not to an extent. My PS3 has no Netflix audio issues when I had a functional 4520 (and will again), but I can use mine either way as bitstream or lpcm.
post #11498 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
That would depend on whether you have a slim PS3 or not to an extent. My PS3 has no Netflix audio issues when I had a functional 4520 (and will again), but I can use mine either way as bitstream or lpcm.
Good point. I always forget about that since mine is one of the original fat versions.
post #11499 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried a simple soft reset of the ps3 and the avr? Can clear up stuff sometimes....
post #11500 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Solved it. I just moved over to hdmi input 4(was on 3) and no more audio dropouts. I moved it back to 3 just to double check, and the dropouts still persisted on input 3. Thank you very much rlb.

Is this something that should be covered by warranty?

Last edited by cmryan821; Yesterday at 09:10 PM. Reason: grammar
post #11501 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Solved it. I just moved over to hdmi input 4(was on 3) and no more audio dropouts. I moved it back to 3 just to double, and the dropouts still persisted on input 3. Thank you very much rlb.

You should try at least the soft reset or the full reset before you get that far along....but if it persists I would be asking for repair/replacement. Can you try another source on hdmi 3 to see if it is specific to the ps3 source?
post #11502 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all

Having a zone problem. I have speakers connected to zone 3 and the zone is set up to amplify in the receiver setup, but when I follow the instructions to "press zone select" on the remote RC-1165, that does nothing and the indicator on the remote remains on "M" and doesn't change to Z2 or Z3 Z4 etc. Does the remote have some setup to tell it that other zones are there?
post #11503 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

OK well that was quick - go into RC setup and turn all zones on! Not sure why that was off.
post #11504 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You should try at least the soft reset or the full reset before you get that far along....but if it persists I would be asking for repair/replacement. Can you try another source on hdmi 3 to see if it is specific to the ps3 source?
I tried to play my other 2 sources (oppo 103 and directv dvr) and I had no audio problems. I even played the exact episodes on netflix on my oppo that were giving my ps3 trouble. I put the ps3 back on hdmi3 and tried netflix again. Same problem, but the ps3 does not have any audio trouble when playing from a usb source or its internal hd. So, I'm stumped. I know how to do a hard reset, but how is a soft reset performed?

Last edited by cmryan821; Yesterday at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling
post #11505 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I tried to play my other 2 sources (oppo 103 and directv dvr) and I had no audio problems. I even played the exact episodes on my oppo that were giving my ps3 trouble. Put the ps3 back on hdmi3 and tied netflix again. Same problem, but the ps3 does not have any audio trouble when playing from a usb source or its internal hd. So, I'm stumped. I know how to do a hard reset, but how is a soft reset performed?
Soft reset is unplugging the avr and ps3 for a while....could be some weird hdmi handshake issue, too.....know anyone with another ps3, particularly a slim ps3?
post #11506 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Soft reset is unplugging the avr and ps3 for a while....could be some weird hdmi handshake issue, too.....know anyone with another ps3, particularly a slim ps3?
Well, still no luck. The frequent (albeit split second) audio dropouts persist while viewing netflix on my ps3 on hdmi 3. Unfortunately, none of my friends have ps3 slims and only 1 has an older ps3 like mine.

Truthfully, this is a pretty minor problem. I'll just move my ps3 to another input. I'll check periodically to ensure nothing gets worse.

Thank you for your help guys.
post #11507 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So ... I had to send in my 4520 as HDMI went bad. I decided to use Geek Squad (yes, I got extended warranty for $100) instead of Denon as I did not have to foot shipping to Panurgy. After three weeks GS called & said they still have not received part and that if they couldn't get in "soon" they would request a new one. We both agreed ot would not be a refurbished one but if there are no new ones available, what then? Any way to haggle with BB for the 5200 as that is the replacement model ? Or are they just going to give me my $800 for clearance stock ? Thanks for any advice.
post #11508 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNdad View Post
So ... I had to send in my 4520 as HDMI went bad. I decided to use Geek Squad (yes, I got extended warranty for $100) instead of Denon as I did not have to foot shipping to Panurgy. After three weeks GS called & said they still have not received part and that if they couldn't get in "soon" they would request a new one. We both agreed ot would not be a refurbished one but if there are no new ones available, what then? Any way to haggle with BB for the 5200 as that is the replacement model ? Or are they just going to give me my $800 for clearance stock ? Thanks for any advice.
I suggest you carefully read your BB extended warranty and determine what you are entitled to with regards to repair & replacement. If you are not satisfied with the BB solution you may want to pursue the Denon warranty. I had a situation where I sent in my 4311 for repair and when Denon couldn't provide the necessary HDMI board, they sent me a refurb 4520. In your case, it wouldn't hurt to request the 5200, if the 4520 repair stalls. I would also suggest an aggressive follow up policy. Keep calling BB and establish your own time frame for resolution so this doesn't drag on interminably.
post #11509 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question: just bought the receiver with the Adorama deal. The video wouldn't work with our TV. Figuring maybe it was too old and a handshake issue, we bought a new one. Now it's very come and go. It works with network (pandora, etc) but not cable, etc. the Hdmi cables have been replaced, everything is up to date. Anyone have similar and a way to fix it? Or should I try Denon?
post #11510 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you be a bit more specific about the sources and connections of all the gear? What are the sources and your display, i.e. in terms of specific makes and models?

ps How did you initially setup the 4520?
post #11511 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelybean View Post
Question: just bought the receiver with the Adorama deal. The video wouldn't work with our TV. Figuring maybe it was too old and a handshake issue, we bought a new one. Now it's very come and go. It works with network (pandora, etc) but not cable, etc. the Hdmi cables have been replaced, everything is up to date. Anyone have similar and a way to fix it? Or should I try Denon?
Yes, you need to provide more specific information. "Video won't work with our TV" just doesn't tell us much. It could be as simple as a wrong setting. I would start out with these settings in the Video menu:

- HDMI setup/Video Output-Monitor 1 (connect the TV to HDMI1)
- HDMI pass thru and HDMI Control off
- Output Settings/Video Mode-Auto
- Video conversion on
- I/P scaler off
- Resolution auto
- Progressive mode Auto

These are pretty generic settings and should work with just about any TV.
post #11512 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
kd-

Liked: 0
Denon AVR-4520CI Audio Issues

Hello All,

My AVR-4520ci began having some audio issues today and I am hoping the group can help shed some light on it for me.

Here is a video I took if it is helpful:

**Since this is my first forum post, it would not let me post a link but on YouTube it is available under username klausflouride1 video name "Denon 4520ci Sound Issue."

There is no sound when set to AT&T Uverse, Blu-ray, Internet Radio, Spotify, and Apple TV but I do get audio when playing CDs (not shown in video). CDs (Marantz SA-11S3) play just fine in Zone 1 and Zone 3 so I don’t think it is an issue with my amp (Parasound A-31). Please notice in the video that when set to UVerse the speaker lights flash on and off. I tried updating the firmware and have reseated the HDMI cable to the UVerse box. When I turn the volume up when set to UVerse, Blu-ray, Apple TV, and Internet Radio/Spotify there is a fairly rapid thumping sound coming from my speakers. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. If I should take it in to the local authorized Denon service center please let me know. Seems like every source connected via HDMI is not playing sound (although the Oppo BDP-105 only passes video over HDMI - audio is passed via the discreet 7.1 audio outputs into the Denon).

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
post #11513 of 11520 Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
4520 was the "flagship" model so I would suggest that the X7200 (2014 flagship model) would be the direct replacement. If you are going to haggle - haggle big!
lovinthehd likes this.
post #11514 of 11520 Old Today, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Solved it. I just moved over to hdmi input 4(was on 3) and no more audio dropouts. I moved it back to 3 just to double check, and the dropouts still persisted on input 3. Thank you very much rlb.

From your description it doesn't sound like a defect but rather an HDMI glitch. HDMI is notoriously quirky and there's no way Denon will warrant that their AVR will be perfectly compatible with another manufacturer's equipment. So long as your PS3 is working on one of the other HDMI ports--and other externals function properly on HDMI3--it is probably safe to assume that it's just a compatibility issue on that particular port with that particular external.

If you search this and similar Denon AVR threads, you will find many instances of this type of occurrence, and the solution is usually just to try another HDMI input that works for the external in question.
post #11515 of 11520 Old Today, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
From your description it doesn't sound like a defect but rather an HDMI glitch. HDMI is notoriously quirky and there's no way Denon will warrant that their AVR will be perfectly compatible with another manufacturer's equipment. So long as your PS3 is working on one of the other HDMI ports--and other externals function properly on HDMI3--it is probably safe to assume that it's just a compatibility issue on that particular port with that particular external.

If you search this and similar Denon AVR threads, you will find many instances of this type of occurrence, and the solution is usually just to try another HDMI input that works for the external in question.
I didn't realize it was so common an occurrence. It really isn't that big of a problem at all. More than anything, I wanted to be sure it wasn't symptomatic of a larger problem. If it is truly limited to my ps3 when playing Netflix on that input then I can certainly live with that.
post #11516 of 11520 Old Today, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
IME all AVRs run quite hot, especially when driven fairly hard. But a lot of the heat is generated by the HDMI board and so the units can get quite hot even when not being worked too hard.

Heat is the enemy of electronics and prolonged exposure to high temperatures will reduce the life of components. With this information in mind, I have always run some form of cooling on my units, either from simple 4 inch quiet PC fans (Noctua are very good) to the more sophisticated solution I use now (and to which I posted a link recently) where the fans turn on and off under thermostat control. I have never had a unit fail on me, so maybe this is one of the reasons why.

Incidentally, those fans from the guy on eBay run incredibly quiet. You can put your ear right up to them and barely hear a whisper, so they are suitable for use even when the AVR is quite close to the MLP.

I see it as a sort of insurance policy. Probably not really needed but good to have for peace of mind. A few dollars to protect an investment of hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

This is the one I am using on the Denon 5200...

The guy has other solutions which cost less. He also has a nice range using 80cm fans instead of 100cm and I have some of those too, cooling my power amps. They are also controlled thermostatically so come on and off as needed.

Got one of these on Sat. - works great ! Quiet too. Nicely made, ships fast. Thanks to the tip on this !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #11517 of 11520 Old Today, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3406 Post(s)
Liked: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Got one of these on Sat. - works great ! Quiet too. Nicely made, ships fast. Thanks to the tip on this !!
My experience too. i was especially impressed with how quietly they run, although the noise is irrelevant here (gear in a closet in another room). I also turned down the voltage on the PSU to make them run more slowly and they still keep the AVR really cool. A nice bit of kit IMO.
post #11518 of 11520 Old Today, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by davethestalker View Post
For Spotify, is there a way to enable gapless playback for the native app? I'm trying to listen to The Wall, the gaps are butchering it! The Denon app sounds more dynamic than using the app on my phone via AirPlay. Plus I had an issue a little while ago, AirPlay would pause every time my phone went into sleep mode. A reboot of the phone resolved that.

Audyssey did set my mains to 'small', it also set the crossover to 40, and the center was at 60, surrounds at 80. I bumped both up to 80 and put the surrounds at 120. I also boosted the subs (OSD) a bit. These steps have brought the 4520 to life.

I'm still wondering how much confusion Audyssey may be having by my Y-splitting Sub 2 to the built in powered subs of the mains, Def Tech BP2006TL. Their gain controls are in different positions and the walls around them are different, which I'm sure is affecting frequencies.

I'm still floored that in stereo, it sounds like surround is on with certain music. But it's not!

Pink Floyd - Pulse sounds fantastic!
Just so I'm clear - you have your sub connected to Sub1 and the DefTech subs y-split out from Sub2, correct?

If so, this is the best way you could do it - treating both DefTech "subs"* as one. *Although an 8" driver can barely be called a subwoofer.

If I was you, I'd just hook up the mains as full range and forget about trying to use the DefTech "subs" as subs.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #11519 of 11520 Unread Today, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

I think its safe to say that HDMI on a Denon 4520 is notoriously quirky

My 4520 was put in a spot where two other AVR's has been before in the last few years with the same cables and pretty much the same components

Neither of the two AVR's, prior to the 4520, had any issues

My Direct TV box gave the 4520 fits with all type of wonky things happening
All seems good now...but if I have issues I now look at the 4520 first as the culprit

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #11520 of 11520 Unread Today, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

I for one was not impressed with Panurgy's service...but I wont go into that page long ordeal
as for the BB service plan
I have been lucky probably because they knew I was a regular customer at a particular store

if you read the fine print
They are not obligated to give you anything more..value wise...than what you had invested

However...as I said before I have been lucky
I once bought an Onkyo receiver for 65% off retail at Magnolia..it failed a couple of times(HDMI board)
On the third attempt they gave me full MSRP back in store credit towards another AVR....so $700 extra in my favor that I didn't spend in the first place

However...don't count on that as the black and white on the agreement specifies what their obligation is

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page