The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 386 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #11551 of 11565 Old 03-04-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Not really. Audyssey simply measures your speaker's "F3" value, the frequency at which output is down 3dB, and reports this value to the AVR at the end of the calibration. The AVR then sets the speaker to Large if the F3 value is low enough, or Small with a crossover if it isn't. Most experts recommend changing any speaker to Small regardless of its capabilities.
Not to my understanding, strictly a decision the avr manufacturer made based on the info Audyssey gathered; Audyssey would still not set speakers to large if it had been left up to them. Not a big deal but not the intent of Audyssey "Small and Large is one of the greatest disservices the industry has brought to the consumer" https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries...w-mic-results-

But since it has been incorporated into the avr routine labeled "Audyssey" and the avr manufacturer not going with this Audyssey recommendation....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11552 of 11565 Old 03-04-2015, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
It sounds like you two are really saying the same thing.

(good thing because you're both correct!)

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11553 of 11565 Old 03-04-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It sounds like you two are really saying the same thing.

(good thing because you're both correct!)
Yeah its just a slight distinction but one I always found interesting as Audyssey gets "blamed" for this when it wasn't their intention. What avr manufacturer wants to tell their customers their junk is small, though?
post #11554 of 11565 Old 03-04-2015, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Noticed something interesting, when you grab the remote to turn on the power, just pressing the input you want (CBL/SAT, BluRay, DVD, etc) instead of the Power button, it will power up and go to that input. This is a nice surprise because with I used the "Scene" buttons all of the time with the RXA710.
post #11555 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
There is absolutely no way, zip, zero that you could get anything resembling true, discrete Atmos decoding with an older AVR that doesn't support object audio.

However, if you really want to experiment with more overhead ambiance / envelopment, you MAY be able to get an approximation of DSU upmix. Chi_guy had an idea above about mounting both Front Height and Surround Back well overhead, but I would do it a bit different so as not to screw up the "bed" surround information (your base 7.1 layer).

What I would do instead is SPLIT the Front Height output into an overhead array (e.g. a pair of FH speaker mounted high up front and a second pair of overheads above, maybe a bit behind you). It will probably sound like garbage with DSX but with Neo:X upmixing, which is really just pulling decorrelated ambient info up above, it should be pretty unobtrusive and extend that elevated ambience overhead.

Then when you upgrade in the future to an object audio decoding processor, you have your overhead speakers already in place!

Ya, i'm almost doing that now. While I have to say, I did download some atmos test demonstration. I most say WOW...Best audio I've heard though this machine yet. That's why i'm really having a hard time waiting to upgrade now. But, to keep the wife happy, not to mention, the money itself.. I'm really trying just to wait till the 3 audio decodings are added, and can get 9.2.6. I would hope 2 yrs at the most.......But who knows....

Thanks for the suggestions.
post #11556 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
So long story short I bought a 4520 refurb from Accessories4 less through Amazon two weeks ago.

I hooked it up in another room tonight to test it out before it goes in the theater later.

The red protection light was blinking as soon as i plugged it in. Disconnected surrounds first tried again, still blinking, turns on red solid after one push of the power button then turns on, seems ok then shuts off and the light blinks again.

Disconnected all of the speakers and tried it again. Same deal.

Disconnected everything (Hdmi's, network cable, sub) same deal.

Unplugged it then plugged it back in, now it turns on and stays on with nothing plugged in.

All items, hdmi, speakers etc are working fine in my Elite sc-35.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of just returning it.

The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement
post #11557 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockLex View Post
So long story short I bought a 4520 refurb from Accessories4 less through Amazon two weeks ago.

I hooked it up in another room tonight to test it out before it goes in the theater later.

The red protection light was blinking as soon as i plugged it in. Disconnected surrounds first tried again, still blinking, turns on red solid after one push of the power button then turns on, seems ok then shuts off and the light blinks again.

Unplugged it then plugged it back in, now it turns on and stays on with nothing plugged in.

My first refurb out of the box was similar except I couldn't even get it to stay put with nothing connected...except tv so I could see a setup screen. Second lasted over 30 days before throwing a fit. Waiting on a new one now. A4L has been excellent to deal with but this is Denon's last shot.
post #11558 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
My first refurb out of the box was similar except I couldn't even get it to stay put with nothing connected...except tv so I could see a setup screen. Second lasted over 30 days before throwing a fit. Waiting on a new one now. A4L has been excellent to deal with but this is Denon's last shot.
Did they swap it out for you or did you return and repurchase? What are the symptoms your second unit has?

The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement
post #11559 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I'd exchange for a unit that is fully functional. Who knows how rigorous the testing is on these refurb units? I had a similar situation with Denon - the first refurb unit they sent me was a lemon - the 2nd has performed flawlessly. As long as your warranty covers the return & replacement - pursue the return policy until you receive a perfectly functional piece of equipment.

post #11560 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to use 4520 as 2 channels external amp. for 11.1 Atmos combined with Denon avr5200w(9 channels).Which Botton of 4520 remote is for External in?I can't find in manual? Thank in advance
post #11561 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post
I would like to use 4520 as 2 channels external amp. for 11.1 Atmos combined with Denon avr5200w(9 channels).Which Botton of 4520 remote is for External in?I can't find in manual? Thank in advance
Interesting. If you sold the 4520, you could probably buy a pretty nice 2-channel external amp.
post #11562 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Something odd is occurring and its related to Audyssey. I've disconnected the Y-split Sub2 going to my Def Tech BP2006 and connected FL/FR preouts to them, as well as the Center preout to the CLR2003. When I configure the speakers to just 1 sub, bass to the PSW505 is minimal. But, if I set it for 2 subs, the main sub and the 3 built into the Def Techs produce a lot of bass. If I turn off Audyssey, this stops. It doesn't matter if the mains are set to small or large. It's similar to using "LFE + Main".

Last edited by davethestalker; Yesterday at 11:35 PM.
post #11563 of 11565 Old Today, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did they swap it out for you or did you return and repurchase? What are the symptoms your second unit has?
First one they swapped out quickly since it was basically DOA. The second one was without issue until a bit after 30 days....maybe 40. It went a bit bonkers and decided a third refurb with same issues would just be beyond acceptable frustration. Now waiting for a new unit to arrive; prepaid return stuff coming with new unit. If new unit is bad then maybe a visit to D&M will be in ortder ....can only stand so much corporate crap before I go crazy
post #11564 of 11565 Old Today, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Look back in the thread. First two refurbs shipped on their account forth and back, and instead of third refurb purchased new one am waiting on, should have Monday. Second one was fine for a while then one day out of the blue started having audio issues with various channels, also mentioned earlier. Even though beyond their exchange time on second refurb failure, they stepped up and took care of return while I try a new unit....if the new unit has issues Denon is out of the picture for years to come.....
post #11565 of 11565 Unread Today, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

Since a soft reset seems to have alleviated the issue at least in part, try a couple of microprocessor or full/deep resets before you write off this unit. (You'll find more troubleshooting tips at the foregoing link and additional explanation of the reset function here.)

As a general rule, it's a good idea anyway to reset the microprocessor on any used, open-box or refurburbished unit before you set it up in order to ensure that any settings are returned to their factory defaults.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page