The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 391 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #11701 of 12636 Old 03-17-2015, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 218
You do know that Accessories4less is an authorized Denon dealer, has brand new in box 4520's with 3 year warranty for $999? That's a full 3 year warranty and probably no tax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 12636 Old 03-17-2015, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I do, but $850 is already really really maxing out my budget, I had initially planned for $700 until this unit fell in my lap locally for $850. I also know I could get a refurb 4520ci for $850 on A4L, but I'm just thinking for my needs, the X4000 is maybe the smarter buy. I only have a 2.1, eventually I plan on replacing my mains with a 7.2 of high efficiency speakers, I'm stuck on a 1080p PJ for I'd guess the next 5+ years until budget 4k's get around $1000-1500. At the end of the day, I really just want XT32/SubEQ and good sound quality.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #11703 of 12636 Old 03-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Oh I see, I know all about maxing out one's budget! The X4000 was on my short list too, it's an excellent option.
post #11704 of 12636 Old 03-17-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I had the x4000 for a few days and I returned it. I decided on a brand new 4520ci for the price of $1099 which was a great deal. I just kept reading about the x4000 going into protection mode. I know there are plenty that don't have an issue but for a little more money, better receiver, built in Japan vs China, more amps, etc the 4520ci was a no brainer. Plus, if I did not buy the 4520ci I would always be wondering why I passed up the good deal.
cesar123 likes this.
post #11705 of 12636 Old 03-17-2015, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 40
post #11706 of 12636 Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
Welcome to the 4520 - I am sure you will be pleased (I know I am)
I have had mine for over 5 months and love every minute it's on.
post #11707 of 12636 Old 03-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Ditto on that! I've found I really like the 2 channell capability of the 4520 too. It's the real deal.
post #11708 of 12636 Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Had any new owners of the 4520 considered the x4100? I'd love to hear why you went 4520, I find myself in the same boat. Anywhere to be buying besides accessories 4 less? Seems I may have missed the boat on the great deals
post #11709 of 12636 Old 03-17-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Personally, unless you had zero interest in Atmos, I would get the newer model. Normally I'm an advocate of getting the higher end but slightly older model as better bang for the buck, but Atmos is really a game changer if you are a movie lover.

If you are primarily using the system for music that's a bit different, since Atmos isn't that relevant and the extra power, build quality and refinement of the 4520 will probably win out.

But otherwise I'd go with the newer model. Any differences in amp power, if important, can be mitigated with an external amp. Plus you get superior zone features and other minor improvements (like the ability to store separate 2ch settings, input specific channel level adjustments, etc).
Sorry to post again, but found this which touches on my debate between the 4100 and 4520. Can anyone comment on the superior zone features, and the storing of separate settings. Thanks again for all the help, really enjoying this hobby, regardless of what my bank account thinks
post #11710 of 12636 Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
It's not a question of the transferability of the warranty; to the best of my knowledge, no D&M product purchased from an authorized reseller should fail to qualify for warranty coverage. Either the seller is not in fact an authorized dealer or he was not adhering to the terms of his retailing agreement in selling this "customer return," or else OP was given incorrect information from Denon about the warranty for his unit.

Something does not add up.
No, you are wrong. As it is indeed 100% a matter of the warranty not being transferable. Denon flat out will not transfer the warranty to another person. The unit in question that he bought from the dealer in fact was actually a used one that was sold to someone else as new 4 months earlier and then traded back in for something else, and no matter if he was a authorized dealer or not, used sale = no Denon warranty.
post #11711 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemannnnn View Post
Had any new owners of the 4520 considered the x4100? I'd love to hear why you went 4520, I find myself in the same boat. Anywhere to be buying besides accessories 4 less? Seems I may have missed the boat on the great deals
Missed the boat? A4L still has new for $999.
post #11712 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Missed the boat? A4L still has new for $999.
No I know, just seeing the ones that got them for $8-900 recently. Every little bit helps when you shatter your budget. I honestly started this search calling JD for pricing on the x1100
post #11713 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtie View Post
Customer bought it NIB in November, traded it in for a Marantz unit with Atmos last week, I asked him if he'll honor the remainder of the warranty and he said it's not a problem, might as well be brand new. I have the serial and receipt, so I shouldn't have any issues with warranty work if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
Sad to say I was correct about only the original purchaser having a valid warranty, and any owner after that having none as the warranty is not transferable. But, it's also best to find out about something like this right away, and not months from now if you had some sort of a problem with it that needed a service repair.
Quote:
It's not a question of the transferability of the warranty; to the best of my knowledge, no D&M product purchased from an authorized reseller should fail to qualify for warranty coverage. Either the seller is not in fact an authorized dealer or he was not adhering to the terms of his retailing agreement in selling this "customer return," or else OP was given incorrect information from Denon about the warranty for his unit.

Something does not add up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
No, you are wrong. As it is indeed 100% a matter of the warranty not being transferable. Denon flat out will not transfer the warranty to another person. The unit in question that he bought from the dealer in fact was actually a used one that was sold to someone else as new 4 months earlier and then traded back in for something else, and no matter if he was a authorized dealer or not, used sale = no Denon warranty.
Sorry, but you are misinformed; the issue of non-transferability of the warranty does not apply to purchases from an authorized dealer. It does not matter whether the original purchaser registered his unit with Denon; an authorized dealer can resell a customer-returned item with full warranty. Under the terms of the agreement he enters into with D&M in order to become an "authorized dealer," the retailer typically must bench-test the unit prior to resale to verify its functionality. Armed with the sales receipt, the new customer will indeed quality for the 3-year Denon warranty on a 4520 purchased under these conditions. As an example, Crutchfield has a very liberal 60-day return policy; they can, and do, resell Denon AVR's that customers have tried out at home and subsequently returned for a full refund. These units will be covered by the full warranty: it doesn't even matter whether they were demo models, customer-returns, or if the box was simply opened for inspection; once the seal is broken, the unit will be bench-tested before it is resold under the generic label of "open box."

The issue in OP's instance is that the dealer apparently did not live up to his obligations toward the customer in stating that this item would qualify for warranty coverage if he did not certify the unit as "like new" in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements. He should have known better.

I stand by my original assessment that "something does not add up": an authorized dealer should not be confused about the terms of D&M's warranty coverage.
post #11714 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Sorry, but you are misinformed; the issue of non-transferability of the warranty does not apply to purchases from an authorized dealer. It does not matter whether the original purchaser registered his unit with Denon; an authorized dealer can resell a customer-returned item with full warranty. Under the terms of the agreement he enters into with D&M in order to become an "authorized dealer," the retailer typically must bench-test the unit prior to resale to verify its functionality. Armed with the sales receipt, the new customer will indeed quality for the 3-year Denon warranty on a 4520 purchased under these conditions. As an example, Crutchfield has a very liberal 60-day return policy; they can, and do, resell Denon AVR's that customers have tried out at home and subsequently returned for a full refund. These units will be covered by the full warranty: it doesn't even matter whether they were demo models, customer-returns, or if the box was simply opened for inspection; once the seal is broken, the unit will be bench-tested before it is resold under the generic label of "open box."

The issue in OP's instance is that the dealer apparently did not live up to his obligations toward the customer in stating that this item would qualify for warranty coverage if he did not certify the unit as "like new" in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements. He should have known better.
I guess the obvious question here is how long can the dealer's return policy be in order for the new owner to still get a full 3 year warranty? If the original purchaser trades in an AVR 3 years after buying it and the dealer bench-tests the unit prior to resale, does the new buyer still get a 3 year warranty? I wouldn't think so. After 3 or 4 months, I suppose that could fly. It's quite possible the dealer didn't do anything wrong here and the buyer got bad info from Denon customer support as it sure wouldn't be the first time that happened.
post #11715 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wait so you're saying if he goes through some paper work with Denon, I could have the warranty! Am I understanding this correctly? Drat I already ordered the X4000, so I guess I'm returning this one either way as I don't want to eat the reshipping/restock fees.

Time line of the unit.

Guy buys the unit new in November from the dealer.

Guy returns it in trade in for a atmos enabled Marantz in the last month.

Dealer has had the unit operating his HT showroom since then.

Dealer sells it to me last Saturday.
post #11716 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I guess the obvious question here is how long can the dealer's return policy be in order for the new owner to still get a full 3 year warranty? If the original purchaser trades in an AVR 3 years after buying it and the dealer bench-tests the unit prior to resale, does the new buyer still get a 3 year warranty? I wouldn't think so. After 3 or 4 months, I suppose that could fly. It's quite possible the dealer didn't do anything wrong here and the buyer got bad info from Denon customer support as it sure wouldn't be the first time that happened.
Amen to that, brother. I was going to point that out to OP but it seemed OBE at that point. One should never blindly trust what D&M's contract support people put out over the phone as they are frequently wrong or just plain uninformed. There are contributors on this thread (like JD and batpig) who have forgotten far more about D&M products than those third-party CSR's will ever know!

I am not privy to retailer training but do consider myself a knowledgeable, conscientious consumer. I would guess that the operative word in OP's scenario is "trade-in." I don't see how any trade-in (as opposed to a unit that is returned for refund) can be recertified as new; that just seems contradictory to me since the seller would presumably be applying a part of the retail value of the unit toward a second purchase. OTOH, if an authorized dealer is accepting the defect-free customer return for a full refund then he presumably would be entitled to recertify and resell it with the full warranty. The other scenario is a product that is returned as defective; in that case the AVR would have to be reconditioned by an authorized repair facility and could then be resold as "reconditioned" with the reduced 1-year D&M "Limited Refurbished (B-Stock) Warranty."
post #11717 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I have had mine for over 5 months and love every minute it's on.
I've had mine since June of 2013, and I'm still loving every minute. Watched 2 Guns last night with the guys ( guys movie night = much louder volume than the wife would tolerate ). Great sound track, fun movie !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #11718 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtie View Post
Wait so you're saying if he goes through some paper work with Denon, I could have the warranty! Am I understanding this correctly?
I don't think so. I said that something didn't add up and it still doesn't. Your dealer probably never should have led you to believe that the unit was covered by D&M's 3-year warranty on a new unit. But, unless someone here with retailer knowledge (like AV Science reps) can correct me, I would say that no authorized retailer should be selling a D&M product that is not subject to warranty coverage. This is one of salient points that differentiates authorized from unauthorized resellers.
post #11719 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
I don't think so. I said that something didn't add up and it still doesn't. Your dealer probably never should have led you to believe that the unit was covered by D&M's 3-year warranty on a new unit. But, unless someone here with retailer knowledge (like AV Science reps) can correct me, I would say that no authorized retailer should be selling a D&M product that is not subject to warranty coverage. This is one of salient points that differentiates authorized from unauthorized resellers.
Well, there's nothing wrong with a retailing taking trade-ins and reselling those items, as long as it's clear that there's no warranty from the manufacturer on used gear that they sell except in cases where the manufacturer allows warranties to be transferred (Bryston would be one example).
post #11720 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 10
cooling fans

anyone using cooling fans on there receiver and one is the best many on e-bay
post #11721 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by jappleboy View Post
anyone using cooling fans on there receiver and one is the best many on e-bay
Yes - the one that KBarnes701 linked to in post #11425 of 11721-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amp-Receiver...item53f4df912e

Works great, very quiet. No complaints.
Matt2026 likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #11722 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4842 Post(s)
Liked: 3534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Yes - the one that KBarnes701 linked to in post #11425 of 11721-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amp-Receiver...item53f4df912e

Works great, very quiet. No complaints.
Same here. Highly recommended.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #11723 of 12636 Old 03-18-2015, 07:26 PM

Ok, I've decided to join the club...going to buy a 4520. Do I go refurbished with extra warranty at just over 900 or new at just over 1000, both from accessories4less.

Surprisingly it seems a lot of refurbs arrive with issues, but I guess you'd be more likely to hear about those ones than the perfect ones

Does anyone have experience with the leaf warranty?
post #11724 of 12636 Old 03-19-2015, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Personally for only $100 difference I would go for the new (and the three year Denon warranty)

Welcome to the club

Bill
Glenn Baumann and Matt2026 like this.
post #11725 of 12636 Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The refurbished versions are now $849 vs. $999. Makes it a little more interesting but I would still go new.

Oppo BDP103, Sony 70" LED, Definitive Technology Mythos STS Towers, Definitive Technology Mythos 9's x3, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Furman Elite 15, Harmony Ultimate Hub and Rythmik FV15HP.
post #11726 of 12636 Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 AM

Oh man, it's time to pull the trigger and I just can't help but think about the x4100 new at $999. Heck, I'm starting to think about a refurb x5200 at $1299...
post #11727 of 12636 Old 03-19-2015, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Oh man, it's time to pull the trigger and I just can't help but think about the x4100 new at $999. Heck, I'm starting to think about a refurb x5200 at $1299...
Why not a NEW 4520 for 999?

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #11728 of 12636 Old 03-19-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 2325
Quote:
Ok, I've decided to join the club...going to buy a 4520. Do I go refurbished with extra warranty at just over 900 or new at just over 1000, both from accessories4less.

Surprisingly it seems a lot of refurbs arrive with issues, but I guess you'd be more likely to hear about those ones than the perfect ones

Does anyone have experience with the leaf warranty?
What's a leaf warranty?
post #11729 of 12636 Old 03-19-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2190 Post(s)
Liked: 1165
Quote:
LOL! Dang Joe, your budget just keeps creeping up and up.
post #11730 of 12636 Old 03-19-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm personally not a fan of refurbs. Too many people seem to eventually have problems crop up with them, as opposed to new recievers. Buy new if you can. Give us a call at AV Science for a quote.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page