The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 402 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #12031 of 12049 Old Today, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Does this clipping happen to all the other RCA multichannel pre-outs?
Most likely... If you had the channel trim at +10dB it would likely clip at Reference with a 0dBFS signal or if you have the channel trim at 0dB it would likely clip at +10dB above Reference. However, most people run their speakers small and most of the energy tends to be low frequency, so that doesn't seem too likely to actually happen but it would be possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12032 of 12049 Old Today, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Most likely... If you had the channel trim at +10dB it would likely clip at Reference with a 0dBFS signal or if you have the channel trim at 0dB it would likely clip at +10dB above Reference. However, most people run their speakers small and most of the energy tends to be low frequency, so that doesn't seem too likely to actually happen but it would be possible.
But then, your subwoofer(s) wouldn't be clipping? ...The low frequencies from all the other channels plus the LFE channel.
...Like from an 11.2-channel setup.
post #12033 of 12049 Old Today, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
But then, your subwoofer(s) wouldn't be clipping? ...The low frequencies from all the other channels plus the LFE channel.
...Like from an 11.2-channel setup.
Yes, your subwoofer is likely to clip first. I'm not sure if the extra synthesized channels in a 9.x or 11.x config really have any low frequency energy to contribute to the subwoofer through bass management. However, a 7.1 setup certainly can route a lot of bass to the sub(s) already.
post #12034 of 12049 Old Today, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Yes, your subwoofer is likely to clip first. I'm not sure if the extra synthesized channels in a 9.x or 11.x config really have any low frequency energy to contribute to the subwoofer through bass management. However, a 7.1 setup certainly can route a lot of bass to the sub(s) already.
Audyssey DSX Wide and Height channels. ...There must be some bass in those channels too, no?

* Or make that 7.2.4 ... Dolby Atmos setup. ...The overhead surrounds are full range channels.
post #12035 of 12049 Old Today, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Audyssey DSX Wide and Height channels. ...There must be some bass in those channels too, no?
I'm not sure. It depends how they're synthesized.

Quote:
* Or make that 7.2.4 ... Dolby Atmos setup. ...The overhead surrounds are full range channels.
Well no one with a 4520CI has to worry about that.
post #12036 of 12049 Old Today, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

1. You're right; we would have to measure each Blu-ray flick to see what kind of bass is in those DSX channels.

2. True, this is the 4520, not the 7200. ...But I was still mentioning to keep with the topic @ hand; low frequencies' clipping.
post #12037 of 12049 Old Today, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
LOL, thanks mom.
You're welcome daughter

Fortunately the bass frequencies are better tolerated than higher up.

Take care,

Regards, Ken (Retired)
Denon AVR4520CI; 9.1 setup
Samsung 55H8000 TS02; Samsung BD-F7500 (2014)
Klipsch R-12SW Subwoofer (Looking to add SVS PC2000)
LRC & RS = Celestion 5s & 3s; Front height and side surrounds = Polks
post #12038 of 12049 Old Today, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jappleboy View Post
Yes it will have full warranty. For that kind of money for a flag ship receiver go for it. Hell you cam sell it on e-bay and make money.
Ended up picking it up, $680 plus tax. Unit looks flawless, they lost the original remote and mic so they gave me new ones from a X4100, not sure if the remote is lacking any features the original one had. It was confirmed to have the 3YR warranty, I have 15 day return period to test it out but at that price I will probably keep it.

Ran Audyssey after hooking everything up and it sounds substantially better than the Yamaha V-867 I had previously been using. Popped in Fury and watched the tank battle scene, the artillery shells sounded phenominal whipping by my head, definitely adds a whole new level of depth and detail. One thing I did notice was the volume seems much quieter compared to the yamaha with YPAO, I would normally watch an action Bluray at -15 on the Yammy(90WPC), with the Denon I needed to crank it up to -8db to get a similar experience. I do prefer it loud compared the average listener but -8db seems excessive.
post #12039 of 12049 Old Today, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #12040 of 12049 Old Today, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRosenHouse View Post
Ended up picking it up, $680 plus tax. Unit looks flawless, they lost the original remote and mic so they gave me new ones from a X4100, not sure if the remote is lacking any features the original one had. It was confirmed to have the 3YR warranty, I have 15 day return period to test it out but at that price I will probably keep it.

Ran Audyssey after hooking everything up and it sounds substantially better than the Yamaha V-867 I had previously been using. Popped in Fury and watched the tank battle scene, the artillery shells sounded phenominal whipping by my head, definitely adds a whole new level of depth and detail. One thing I did notice was the volume seems much quieter compared to the yamaha with YPAO, I would normally watch an action Bluray at -15 on the Yammy(90WPC), with the Denon I needed to crank it up to -8db to get a similar experience. I do prefer it loud compared the average listener but -8db seems excessive.
One thing I would check is make sure you don't have "Dynamic Volume" engaged...I was disappointed in my AVR-4311ci at first and when I turn DV off it was like a tremendous relief and the sound was much fuller.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; Today at 01:50 PM.
post #12041 of 12049 Old Today, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
One thing I would check is make sure you don't have "Dynamic Volume" engaged...I was disappointed in my AVR-4311ci at first and when I turn DV off it was like a tremendous relief and the sound was much fuller.

Correct - I believe that's on by default. Turn it off, and check the other settings in the audio menu while you are there.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #12042 of 12049 Old Today, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Correct - I believe that's on by default. Turn it off, and check the other settings in the audio menu while you are there.
Also, if you haven't, I would do a microprocessor reset before setting it up.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #12043 of 12049 Old Today, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I'm expecting delivery of my 4520 on Wednesday.

Should I also do a microprocessor reset and, if so, why?

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #12044 of 12049 Old Today, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 944
If it's brand new, no...if it's refurb, demo or used, yes. It wipes out any old settings that may have been set by the previous owner and gives you a known starting point.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #12045 of 12049 Old Today, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Also, if you haven't, I would do a microprocessor reset before setting it up.
Will do that right now, I also just found this writeup for Audyssey setup, when I did the intial setup i clicked calculate after the 3rd seat becuase that was the only ones I cared about. Will reset proccesor and redo audyssey with all seats. All seating posistions at ear level correct? (4,5,6?)

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	howtomulteq300.png
Views:	6
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	676241  
post #12046 of 12049 Unread Today, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 1882
Quote:
Will do that right now, I also just found this writeup for Audyssey setup, when I did the intial setup i clicked calculate after the 3rd seat becuase that was the only ones I cared about. Will reset proccesor and redo audyssey with all seats. All seating posistions at ear level correct? (4,5,6?)

Thanks
Remember you are't literally measuring each "seating position" but rather you are sampling the "listening bubble" to inform the correction algorithm about the distribution of acoustical problems. So even if you only have one seat then multiple measurements will feed more data and let Audyssey determine which are "real" problems that deserve fixing and which problems only exist in a tiny point in space and not worth expending resources trying to correct. By the same token, just because you have a "seat" 10 feet to the left doesn't mean you should ever put the microphone there because it will be so far off axis.

So instead of "seats", start with the sweet spot and then measure the rest of the points around it... some to the left, some to the right, some a bit in front, maybe one or two a bit behind. Approximately ear level but a few inches of vertical variation won't hurt (unless you sit with your head gripped in a vice at a precise height while listening). The wider the mic spacing, the more you will get "many good seats" insted of "one great seat"... so you can focus your measurements on a smaller bubble to optimize the sweet spot (e.g. 2-3 ft diameter) or spread them out a bit more to widen the happy place.

With respect to the volume question, the number on the digital display is hard to compare across models. Different calibration settings (there was a big shoot out thread run by Archaea with multiple processors and you would be shocked at the variation in calibrated volume!) and different processing settings (DRC, Dynamic Volume, etc) will have a big impact. Plus, even if everything was perfect in terms of SPL, distortion sounds louder, so the amps/build of the 4520 and the XT32 room correction may let you crank it up louder (objectively) without it sounding louder (subjectively).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #12047 of 12049 Unread Today, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
I'd use all 8 positions for Audyssey. Don't necessarily have to be literally the seats themselves. The Audyssey thread here is a good source "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)

You can also save each calculation with your computer for later reinstallation should you want to....
post #12048 of 12049 Unread Today, 05:32 PM

Thanks for all the tips and info, its appreciated. I redid everything along with the full reset, and no dynamic volume. Seems to of helped . I also did a network check to see If a firmware update is available but it just hangs in an endless checking for update loop.

Batpig I believe you are fimiliar with the Energy RC line, I have a few questions about the crossover settings Audyssey came up with, if you could visit the energy thread when you get a chance.
post #12049 of 12049 Unread Today, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
Quote:
Thanks for all the tips and info, its appreciated. I redid everything along with the full reset, and no dynamic volume. Seems to of helped . I also did a network check to see If a firmware update is available but it just hangs in an endless checking for update loop.

Batpig I believe you are fimiliar with the Energy RC line, I have a few questions about the crossover settings Audyssey came up with, if you could visit the energy thread when you get a chance.
Just check the firmware version number, but betting you probably already have the latest version....see post 4 of this thread.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page