The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 403 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2015, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
My second refurb from A4L crapped out after slightly more than 30 days (first I couldn't even get to finish setup). They offered a third refurb but instead I opted to pay for a new one and stop playing roulette. They could have made me do the warranty thing but they were cool but took the second refurb back and paid shipping. They don't control the refurb process but maybe they finally got tired with Denon's refurb program...I know I did.
I just received a refurbished unit from A4L that was DOA (no output from the speaker terminals or preamp outputs, front display would not illuminate). The merchandise request was approved yesterday, but I have yet to receive a shipping label from FedEx. Has anyone here experienced a similar delay? It may be a good idea to start a log that tracks the redistributed lemons from Denon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahamler View Post
I just received a refurbished unit from A4L that was DOA (no output from the speaker terminals or preamp outputs, front display would not illuminate). The merchandise request was approved yesterday, but I have yet to receive a shipping label from FedEx. Has anyone here experienced a similar delay? It may be a good idea to start a log that tracks the redistributed lemons from Denon.
What time was it approved? Its only yesterday....believe mine came on the next working day but don't really remember nor do I think its a big deal to wait a day or two for them to set it up with Fedex....you'd need to do any tracking of units by s/n and get everyone to play to be of any use and that's not likely....YMMV
Old 04-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
What time was it approved? Its only yesterday....believe mine came on the next working day but don't really remember nor do I think its a big deal to wait a day or two for them to set it up with Fedex....you'd need to do any tracking of units by s/n and get everyone to play to be of any use and that's not likely....YMMV
Yesterday morning, I'm just a bit frustrated with the entire process. I would really like to avoid receiving another dud but A4L will not allow me to upgrade to a new unit without paying the initial and return shipping costs. To make matters worse, shipping between California and Florida is 5 days each way, not to mention the processing time once they receive the unit. I initially purchased the unit so I could dedicate my Marantz to 2 channel duty with my Parasound amp. I guess I'll have to dig out the old NAD 5 channel that's buried in storage.

1st world problems.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRosenHouse View Post
. Unit looks flawless, they lost the original remote .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
^^^
The original remote could control all 4 zones ...

$50.00 on Ebay for a remote

you got a pretty good deal
I paid about $789 for a new in box unit from Best Buy

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC77 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
I think Denon's repair/fulfillment agency is the more likely culprit.
not unlikely

I had some serious issues with Panurgy a couple of years ago

I assume that is still their master repair center?

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC77 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Old 04-21-2015, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All

I am using the following components : AVR4520 and DBT3313UD Blu-Ray player combination.
This combination has been working fine for over 2 years, but recently have been experiencing audio drop-outs when playing certain Blu-Rays.
I assume the culprit is the Blu-Ray player, but I am posting on this forum, because I am aware that a number of members are using the same combination.

For example , I started watching "The Equalizer" disc and as soon as the movie started, there would be a periodic audio drop-out every 5 seconds or so. I removed the disc, added it again, restarted the movie but no change.
Now I know it is not the disc , because I had played this disc previously and did not hear any problems.

It has been happening at random over a period of the last 2 months, and wondered whether anyone has experienced anything like this.

Note: I powered everything down for about 10 mins, restarted everything and the audio drop-outs disappeared???

It is very frustrating to listen to, so any advice appreciated.

Regards
Phil
Old 04-22-2015, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcduie View Post
Hi All

I am using the following components : AVR4520 and DBT3313UD Blu-Ray player combination.
This combination has been working fine for over 2 years, but recently have been experiencing audio drop-outs when playing certain Blu-Rays.
I assume the culprit is the Blu-Ray player, but I am posting on this forum, because I am aware that a number of members are using the same combination.

For example , I started watching "The Equalizer" disc and as soon as the movie started, there would be a periodic audio drop-out every 5 seconds or so. I removed the disc, added it again, restarted the movie but no change.
Now I know it is not the disc , because I had played this disc previously and did not hear any problems.

It has been happening at random over a period of the last 2 months, and wondered whether anyone has experienced anything like this.

Note: I powered everything down for about 10 mins, restarted everything and the audio drop-outs disappeared???

Regards
Phil
Some of the parts in the digital/hdmi board may now be approaching their end-of-life due to heat. The board can get really hot even with the avr internal fans because that board sits on top and collects heat from everything else inside the avr.

Try additional external fans to help cool your unit and hopefully extend it's useful life.

Last edited by doognam; 04-22-2015 at 03:12 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-22-2015, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Hi All

Regards
Phil
Get access to another BluRay player and see if you can duplicate the problem.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:03 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:

One possibility is that the problem is related to a combination of bitstreaming from the player to the AVR, 7.1 channel Dolby True HD sound tracks, and use of complex seamless branching on the disc, as that combination has been known to give some Bluray players, including Oppo players prior to the 10x generation, problems. The workaround for the Oppo players is to have the player decode the Dolby True HD soundtrack to LPCM and send that to the AVR, so I would suggest trying that. The only real downside to that approach is that it precludes the use of Atmos, but that's not a concern with the AVR-4520 as it doesn't support Atmos anyway. The example you provided appears to have a 7.1 channel DTS HD Master Audio sound track, but I'd suggest trying the same workaround anyway and see if it clears up the problem. If it's only happening with some titles, you probably don't have any sort of an impending hardware failure to worry about.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Hi All

Regards
Phil

Did you re-seat the HDMI cable (on both ends) and/or try a different HDMI cable?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Where do you guys think is the best placement for a 120mm fan?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
One possibility is that the problem is related to a combination of bitstreaming from the player to the AVR, 7.1 channel Dolby True HD sound tracks, and use of complex seamless branching on the disc, as that combination has been known to give some Bluray players, including Oppo players prior to the 10x generation, problems. The workaround for the Oppo players is to have the player decode the Dolby True HD soundtrack to LPCM and send that to the AVR, so I would suggest trying that. The only real downside to that approach is that it precludes the use of Atmos, but that's not a concern with the AVR-4520 as it doesn't support Atmos anyway. The example you provided appears to have a 7.1 channel DTS HD Master Audio sound track, but I'd suggest trying the same workaround anyway and see if it clears up the problem. If it's only happening with some titles, you probably don't have any sort of an impending hardware failure to worry about.

Just FYI, I haven't had any problems with The Equalizer and my Oppo BDP103, with my 4520. No drop outs.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 04-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Just FYI, I haven't had any problems with The Equalizer and my Oppo BDP103, with my 4520. No drop outs.
Same here, 103D.

Watched Unbroken last night with no issues either.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youra6 View Post
On constantly when receiver is on or what?
Where is unit located?

A lot of options for cooling
youra6 likes this.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
On constantly when receiver is on or what?
Where is unit located?

A lot of options for cooling
Yes, when the receiver is on.

I guess what I am asking is where in the unit produces the most heat? I have a Coolerguy fan and placed it on the back-left of the vent but I'm not sure if that placement is the most effective at dissipating heat.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I guess what I am asking is where in the unit produces the most heat? I have a Coolerguy fan and placed it on the back-left of the vent but I'm not sure if that placement is the most effective at dissipating heat.
Turn on your AVR.
Start watching a movie or listen to some music.
After the AVR has had time to warm up, touch the various areas on the top of the AVR with your hand.
Wherever your hand is when you scream the loudest is where the fan should go.

FWIW, my fan is on the top, left side, a little past the halfway point toward the rear.
youra6 likes this.

...pic... and ...more...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL/Salk SongCtr-RAAL/Salk SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (setup help) ; Denon 4520CI ; D-Sonic M2-800S ; Oppo BDP93 ; Panny 65VT50 ; BJCables ; Schiit Valhalla -> Senn HD600 & HD555 ; Schiit Magni2Uber/Modi2Uber -> Oppo PM-3 ; Schiit Fulla -> RHA MA750 & AT ATH-M50S
WDTV Live Hub ; Xbox 360 ; Chromecast ; Harmony One ; DLNA NAS ; Furman Elite-15 PFi ; Salamander Synergy ; Omnimic & REW ; CalMAN 5 HT ; i1D3 & i1 Pro2
Old 04-22-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
I have mine in the center, slightly to teh back.. I think that spot was in between the hottest areas when I used a non contact thermometer to check the temps.
youra6 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

After the amplifiers, the digital/hdmi board produces the most heat. It also collects lots of radiated heat from the 9 internal amplifiers. With the way the avr4520 boards are arranged, the hdmi/digital board cannot be kept cool unless the air above it is kept constantly refreshed.
My suggestion is to keep the air above the unit constantly refreshed when in use by using an external fan or perhaps positioning the unit as to leave lots of open space above it.
youra6 likes this.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Since The Equalizer appears to use a DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 track, it shouldn't be a problem on the Oppo. I just brought up Oppo as an example where setting the Bluray player to output LPCM instead of a bitstream can resolve some types of problems.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by doognam View Post
After the amplifiers, the digital/hdmi board produces the most heat. It also collects lots of radiated heat from the 9 internal amplifiers. With the way the avr4520 boards are arranged, the hdmi/digital board cannot be kept cool unless the air above it is kept constantly refreshed.
My suggestion is to keep the air above the unit constantly refreshed when in use by using an external fan or perhaps positioning the unit as to leave lots of open space above it.
This unit would be just what the doctor ordered for evacuating hot air out of the top of the receiver!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Receiver-Amp...item43c8d9a4b1

This Ebay seller has a whole array of cooling equipment for sale.

...Glenn
Old 04-22-2015, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Thanks for all of the responses so far, much appreciated.
I have had this problem with 2 other discs, both of them where TV Series : Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.
In the case of the Breaking Bad disc, I just removed the disc and reinserted it once or twice and the issue went away. For game of Thrones , it only seemed to happen on one disc ( #3 ) out of the four. No matter what I did this disc it would not play without the audio drop-outs, but all other discs where fine???

When I turned everything off, I also checked the HDMI cables on the Blu-Ray player end and checked they were OK ( removed and re-inserted). I have not tried the GOT disc since the last problem, but may need to check it again

The next time it happens , and it does not go away, I will try and change from Bitstream to PCM and see if it goes away.

A number of forum members have recommend a cooling fan, I live in Australia, so not sure where I would source such a device and how to use place it for best effect. Any advice appreciated.

I will keep checking and see if I can find a pattern to the cause, hopefully it is not a hardware issue.

Regards Phil
Old 04-22-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
Thanks for all of the responses so far, much appreciated.
I have had this problem with 2 other discs, both of them where TV Series : Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.
In the case of the Breaking Bad disc, I just removed the disc and reinserted it once or twice and the issue went away. For game of Thrones , it only seemed to happen on one disc ( #3 ) out of the four. No matter what I did this disc it would not play without the audio drop-outs, but all other discs where fine???

When I turned everything off, I also checked the HDMI cables on the Blu-Ray player end and checked they were OK ( removed and re-inserted). I have not tried the GOT disc since the last problem, but may need to check it again

The next time it happens , and it does not go away, I will try and change from Bitstream to PCM and see if it goes away.

A number of forum members have recommend a cooling fan, I live in Australia, so not sure where I would source such a device and how to use place it for best effect. Any advice appreciated.

I will keep checking and see if I can find a pattern to the cause, hopefully it is not a hardware issue.

Regards Phil
I'm thinking you have something wrong with the laser since you can sometimes play the same disc correctly. They can get dirty as I understand it.

I'd think you could google cooling fans electronics even in Australia....and the cooling fan would be for your avr.

ps And the one disc could simply be faulty or damaged....
Old 04-22-2015, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by doognam View Post
Good Info. I had my Denon in open air (no cabinet) along with cooling fans but my Denon would still get hot (I tend to run my equipment pretty hard at times). I added a few Emotiva amps and now only power my heights and wides with 4 of the 4520's internal amplifiers. I now had zero issues with it going into protection mode and shutting down due to heat.
I know it is an expensive option but it adds a lot of headroom and with the decreased heat I believe my 4520 will last significantly longer.
Just my .02.
Blessings, Brian

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
Old 04-23-2015, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Will do that right now, I also just found this writeup for Audyssey setup, when I did the intial setup i clicked calculate after the 3rd seat becuase that was the only ones I cared about. Will reset proccesor and redo audyssey with all seats. All seating posistions at ear level correct? (4,5,6?)

Thanks

Hi All, just a quick question about the Audyssey set up with the 4520, the diagrams I have found such as this one show position 2 right of center and position 3 left of center with 4,5,6 in order starting in front of 3. When running Audyssey for the first time or after a full reset the GUI indicates position 2 left of center and 3 right of center. Then 4 in front of 1, 5 to the left of 1 and 6 to the right. Rear 7,8 are the same on both. Does it make a difference or is one correct and the other not? just curious thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	howtomulteq300.png
Views:	22
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	681657  

Current 6.1 Set Up:
Sammy 60" LED - Denon 4520CI - Adcom GFA 555 - Fat PS3 -Monster HTS 3500 MKII
Klipsch RF-62 - Klipsch RC-62 ll - Acoustech PL-200 Sub - Fluance AVBP2s
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdom58 View Post
Quote:
Will do that right now, I also just found this writeup for Audyssey setup, when I did the intial setup i clicked calculate after the 3rd seat becuase that was the only ones I cared about. Will reset proccesor and redo audyssey with all seats. All seating posistions at ear level correct? (4,5,6?)

Thanks

Hi All, just a quick question about the Audyssey set up with the 4520, the diagrams I have found such as this one show position 2 right of center and position 3 left of center with 4,5,6 in order starting in front of 3. When running Audyssey for the first time or after a full reset the GUI indicates position 2 left of center and 3 right of center. Then 4 in front of 1, 5 to the left of 1 and 6 to the right. Rear 7,8 are the same on both. Does it make a difference or is one correct and the other not? just curious thanks.
The only position where location really matters is the first one. That's where levels and delays are set. The rest of the positions can be essentially random as long as you don't stray too far from the sweet spot (2-3'). They are just feeding the algorithm more data about the distribution of acoustical problems in the listening zone.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
The only position where location really matters is the first one. That's where levels and delays are set. The rest of the positions can be essentially random as long as you don't stray too far from the sweet spot (2-3'). They are just feeding the algorithm more data about the distribution of acoustical problems in the listening zone.
Thanks!! got it now

Current 6.1 Set Up:
Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post
This unit would be just what the doctor ordered for evacuating hot air out of the top of the receiver!

...Glenn

I love that fan !! Really draws the air through and helps keep the receiver cool !
Matt2026 likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked: 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

...Glenn
+1. I have more than one of Don's cooling solutions and they are excellent. Great customer service and a good product.
Matt2026 likes this.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Just picked up my 4520 at FeDex. Holy crap, this thing is big. Won't fit into my TV stand... oops. Wife doesn't know yet. Shhh.

Turned it on and did a factory reset. I won't be able to set it up until sometime this weekend, but am glad that it turned on and seems to be working just fine.

What a sleek looking, non-intrusive piece of gear. I'm in awe.

Glad to be part of the "club"
Matt2026 likes this.

Yippee-ki-yay...
Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 AM

Hey folks,

since I have had my 4530 for about a week now I'm still learning and experimenting with mic positions to try and get the best sounds out of my system. I have played with slight variations of the recommended Audyssey placement and ran across an article this morning in search of other options (still think it could improve a bit in my room) over at Home Theater Shack where they tested the effects of different mic placements with varying results. For example the best result for my 101 type of set up was :

Recommended Setup Mic Patterns

101, 101B, 102 - Best Image Clarity and good frequency response coverage. All dimensions are relative to PLP Center (PLPC):
  1. PLP center
  2. 3 inches forward
  3. 3 inches up
  4. 3 up & 3 forward
  5. 3 inches left
  6. 3 inches right
  7. plus points for 2 other LPs (except 6-point MultEQ)
For 101B, first four points are relative to the high seat back "wings," the rest are relative to the seat back

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried these variations, I'll give it a go tonight to see if it makes a difference with my room set up, here is the link to the artice:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tup-guide.html
ellisr63 likes this.

Current 6.1 Set Up:

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver