The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 405 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12121 of 12131 Old 04-25-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Just got around to doing measurements for the first time and discovered a huge peak around 60Hz! I thought Audyssey was supposed to fix big peaks. Should I just try it again with slightly different mic placements? I don't exactly have a boom mic, I'm using a stand from my drum set that is similar to a boom mic. It allows me to set the stand on the floor just behind my sofa and extends out to where my head would be. Any suggestions?
Mic placement won't fix a big peak. The peak is likely due to speaker or sub position in your room. Experiment with different placements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12122 of 12131 Old 04-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Killed power for 10 minutes and it worked!! Thanks.
post #12123 of 12131 Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Mic placement won't fix a big peak. The peak is likely due to speaker or sub position in your room. Experiment with different placements.
OK I'll try. I just thought the whole point of Audyssey was to fix large peaks. I thought maybe I did something wrong in the mic placement was the reason why it didn't work.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, PSA XS30SE
post #12124 of 12131 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4094 Post(s)
Liked: 3081
Quote:
OK I'll try. I just thought the whole point of Audyssey was to fix large peaks. I thought maybe I did something wrong in the mic placement was the reason why it didn't work.
It depends how big the peak is. Audyssey has limitations on how much it can boost or reduce frequencies. What do you call a "huge peak"?
post #12125 of 12131 Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
It depends how big the peak is. Audyssey has limitations on how much it can boost or reduce frequencies. What do you call a "huge peak"?
12dB

post #12126 of 12131 Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
12dB
Audyssey should pull most of that down. If it isn’t, then there is another issue. You may need to optimise speaker/sub locations, experiment with different positions for MLP and so on, assuming you are following best practice for the Audyssey calibration. Chance are, for a 60Hz peak, that is room-induced and EQ may well struggle with it. If you are crossing to your sub at a typical 80Hz, most of that peak will be coming from the sub. What measures have you taken to optimise the placement of the sub in the room - sub crawl, measurements etc? Have you tried moving the sub to a different location, even if only temporarily, and observing the effect?

Last edited by kbarnes701; Yesterday at 08:57 AM.
post #12127 of 12131 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

I haven't had time to try anything. I'm off tomorrow, so I will try as much as I can. Thanks.

post #12128 of 12131 Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Well I actually had a few minutes to do some quick measurements. The peak, which is centered at 63Hz, actually isn't as bad as I thought. I did about 10 different measurements all around the MLP. It's amazing how much the response varies from spot to spot! This is why I have always planned on gettting TWO subwoofers. I guess I won't worry too much about it until I am able to get my second sub.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #12129 of 12131 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well I actually had a few minutes to do some quick measurements. The peak, which is centered at 63Hz, actually isn't as bad as I thought. I did about 10 different measurements all around the MLP. It's amazing how much the response varies from spot to spot! This is why I have always planned on gettting TWO subwoofers. I guess I won't worry too much about it until I am able to get my second sub.
Yes, dual subs will certainly help you get a smoother response in more places across the room.
mnc likes this.
post #12130 of 12131 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 1895
Quote:
That's exactly why Audyssey (and many other room correction programs) preach the value of multiple measurements -- there is a lot of spatial variation in low frequencies. Even when optimizing for one seat. Once you know your room you can usually "cheat" and do one position but it's good to understand what's happening spatially so you (or an auto EQ program like Audyssey) doesn't wxpend resource on problems that exist only at a small point in space.
mnc and Glock3540 like this.

Last edited by batpig; Yesterday at 11:45 AM.
post #12131 of 12131 Old Today, 06:17 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Well I don't know what I did wrong with my previous Audyssey setup, but after doing it again this morning I made a HUGE improvement! No more boomy bass. Listening to music right now I can actually run the sub "hotter" without that boomy sound. Very happy with my results and I am about to try some movie clips.
I posted some graphs over in the subwoofer thread "PSA V1500 vs S3000i big room challenge". This is just using Audio Tools on my iPad, I don't have REW yet.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page