The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 413 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12361 of 12371 Old Today, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 9,430
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
No, it isn't unfortunately. I bought it as a refurbished unit from accessories4less a few years ago. Refurbished only comes with a 1 year warranty. Has worked flawlessly up until this and still works for everything but sound as the amps are not turning on. Since it wasn't under warranty and I don't have a Denon service center anywhere near me, I just picked up a lower end model locally and have been using it for the past few months. It seems to be serving our needs just fine as the 4520 was way more than I actually needed.

Anyway, thought someone might pop up with a quick "oh yeah, that is a common issue" type response that gave me some direction. If it is a cheap fix, common issue type thing, I might would just sell it as is, but didn't know.
If under two years check to see if the credit card you used extended the 1 year warranty by another year....
lovinthehd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12362 of 12371 Old Today, 12:59 PM
Newbie
 
txbonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
If under two years check to see if the credit card you used extended the 1 year warranty by another year....
Unfortunately another strike out as I used paypal to pay.
txbonds is online now  
post #12363 of 12371 Old Today, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 9,430
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
Unfortunately another strike out as I used paypal to pay.
Why would you do that?
lovinthehd is offline  
post #12364 of 12371 Old Today, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
Anyone have an idea of what would cause my 4520 to stop turning on the amps? Everything else works but it doesn't click on the amps any longer for some reason. Almost like a relay or something went out.

I'm trying to decide if its worth fixing or just trying to sell it and let someone else fix it. I already replaced it so I'm not in a hurry but just don't live near a repair facility according to Denon.

Thanks for any tips.
Amps as in external or the one's inside the receiver?
laserjock II is offline  
post #12365 of 12371 Old Today, 01:58 PM
Newbie
 
txbonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Amps as in external or the one's inside the receiver?
The ones inside the unit

It normally makes a click sound when you first turn on and then a few seconds later another click as the amps turn on and sound starts coming out. It's that second click that isn't happening and is why I'm saying it seems like a relay is out. I really have no clue but I've tried the reset procedures and it makes no difference. All other features seem to be working though including the video and what not.
txbonds is online now  
post #12366 of 12371 Old Today, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 6,673
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
No, it isn't unfortunately. I bought it as a refurbished unit from accessories4less a few years ago. Refurbished only comes with a 1 year warranty. Has worked flawlessly up until this and still works for everything but sound as the amps are not turning on. Since it wasn't under warranty and I don't have a Denon service center anywhere near me, I just picked up a lower end model locally and have been using it for the past few months. It seems to be serving our needs just fine as the 4520 was way more than I actually needed.

Anyway, thought someone might pop up with a quick "oh yeah, that is a common issue" type response that gave me some direction. If it is a cheap fix, common issue type thing, I might would just sell it as is, but didn't know.
I supposed if just the amps aren't coming on, it would make a decent pre / pro !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #12367 of 12371 Old Today, 03:02 PM
Newbie
 
txbonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I supposed if just the amps aren't coming on, it would make a decent pre / pro !
Possibly. I don't have any external amps to test with though. I bought a lower level Onkyo TX-NR636 to replace it. Hooked it up to the exact same cables (except power cord) and it works just fine and all functions are normal, so I don't think it was anything wiring related.

I don't know anything about electronic boards like these have in them but would guess it might be an easy fix but who knows. Is there any easy way to double check the pre-outs and any idea what it would be worth at this point without me paying to get it fixed vs if I did get it fixed? I know they aren't going for anything near the $1499 I paid for it last January 7th (looked it up on their website).

Thanks guys.
txbonds is online now  
post #12368 of 12371 Old Today, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 9,430
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
Possibly. I don't have any external amps to test with though. I bought a lower level Onkyo TX-NR636 to replace it. Hooked it up to the exact same cables (except power cord) and it works just fine and all functions are normal, so I don't think it was anything wiring related.

I don't know anything about electronic boards like these have in them but would guess it might be an easy fix but who knows. Is there any easy way to double check the pre-outs and any idea what it would be worth at this point without me paying to get it fixed vs if I did get it fixed? I know they aren't going for anything near the $1499 I paid for it last January 7th (looked it up on their website).

Thanks guys.
Sure you do, you have another receiver. Take an rca cable or two and hook a pre-out on the 4520 up to an analog input on the 636 to see if it works (not really an ideal way to use but will tell you if the preouts are still functional).
lovinthehd is offline  
post #12369 of 12371 Old Today, 04:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
ESD would come in the output as if it were an input. The ESD wouldn't come from the volume control chip. So the capacitor is not on the wrong side of the resistor. If it were a low pass filter on the output the capacitor would be on the wrong side of the resistor.

Further you've just said it all. You don't have the datasheet for the volume control. As such you can't make any definitive statement as to whether they're supposed to be there, or if they're placed wrong. It's not like they're using a 2nd order sallen-key op amp filter and the use is obvious.
I have just bought a used 4520 with just a 7-day return clause in the docket.
It being a flagship model, I expect much from it.

But you say there are filters in the preouts of 4520's. Is that what you mean?
CatTerror is offline  
post #12370 of 12371 Old Today, 05:59 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,051
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
Possibly. I don't have any external amps to test with though. I bought a lower level Onkyo TX-NR636 to replace it. Hooked it up to the exact same cables (except power cord) and it works just fine and all functions are normal, so I don't think it was anything wiring related.

I don't know anything about electronic boards like these have in them but would guess it might be an easy fix but who knows. Is there any easy way to double check the pre-outs and any idea what it would be worth at this point without me paying to get it fixed vs if I did get it fixed? I know they aren't going for anything near the $1499 I paid for it last January 7th (looked it up on their website).

Thanks guys.
You can easily check eBay for pricing of used 4520's in working order (take a look at completed auctions - you'll need to sign in to do that). I would guess that one without any problems and in very good cosmetic condition would go for around $800, give or take. One with the amps not working would sell for a LOT less as that's a core function of the AVR. You're going to take a huge beating selling it with problems because a potential buyer isn't going to know if it's as simple as a blown fuse or if there's a major issue and isn't going to be willing to pay much because of that. If I were you, I would send it off to an authorized Denon repair center, get it fixed (or at least get an estimate), and then decide whether to keep it or sell it.
gsr is online now  
post #12371 of 12371 Old Today, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 11,185
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTerror View Post
But you say there are filters in the preouts of 4520's. Is that what you mean?
Maybe. We're not sure what the R's and C's on the output are for. I've suggested they could be a low pass filter for ESD. However from the perspective of the output from the volume chip they're not a low pass filter.
Stereodude is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off