The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 415 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12421 of 12648 Old 06-01-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
FWIW 3808 appears to be very similar in power, with even slightly more power 7 channels driven...but barely.
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-labs-measures
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ver-test-bench
You right, going by those measurements they were neck and neck.

Oppo Beta Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12422 of 12648 Old 06-01-2015, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
to be completely honest

in a double blind test
I dont think I could discern which was the Denon 4520( used as a preamp), the Marantz 8801 or the Onkyo 5509

I have never used the 4520 in the same spot as a preamp
However...all three of them( with Audyssey engaged) has the same pluses and minuses that I have to adjust...and really have the same type of sound

hence the reason for my statement

when I hear these people talk about sound stage and sonic signature differences....I dont hear that
While I have heard differences in components before
what I listed above not so much

so..IMO....save your money and buy the cheapest of the models I listed above

Warren

I replaced my 4520 with an Marantz 8801 and Outlaw 7500... You may not think there is much difference ....I had a huge difference. But I turn my system up.. Maybe for movies I would agree with you . But musically , no comparison...
o
post #12423 of 12648 Old 06-01-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
I replaced my 4520 with an Marantz 8801 and Outlaw 7500... You may not think there is much difference ....I had a huge difference. But I turn my system up.. Maybe for movies I would agree with you . But musically , no comparison...
o
huge?

Well...I will tell you that I dont think that the Denon 4520..Marantz 8801 or my old Onkyo 5508 are very musical pieces
The main reason probably being is I don't really like Audyssey for music and got some better results(IMO) running pure direct
I have heard several pieces I preferred to any of the three for music...granted, not in the same price range as they are
But nevertheless, a lot more musical and natural sounding

I consider all them home theater pieces at their core

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC77 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #12424 of 12648 Old 06-01-2015, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 4520 keeps switching HP/INPUT on and off, which cuts the audio from the speakers. I've tried to clean the jack with compressed air, and a 1/4 headphone plug plus some alcohol, but the problem persists. Is there a way to disable the headphone jack?

Thanks in advance.
post #12425 of 12648 Old 06-03-2015, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone, sorry for the 'noob' post, but I have a specific question that I'm having trouble googling

I was about to pull the trigger on an X4000, but then realized that to use 7.1 in Zone1 (requirement), and have the X4000 do audio/video out to Zone2(Gym) and audio to Zone3(Kitchen) I would require two external Amps (7.1 + pre outs). I have one amp already, but a second would be ~100$.

Seeing as the 4520ci is ~200$ more then a x4000 wouldn't it be better to get the 4520 and use 7.1 in Zone1, Component + 2.0 Amped to Zone2(Gym) and Audio out via HDMI to Zone4 (Kitchen) into my old Sony Amp?

Last question; can the 4520 'convert' from HDMI input (1-5) to Component output to zone2?

For a rundown of the equipment I have;
HomeTheater Zone
Dell 50" Plasma (don't ask)
Projector (TBD)
Paradigm 7.1
**Plan is to output to both the plasma and the projector and decide based on the event from the Denon I choose

Gym Zone
Dell 2408WFP
that I want to use Component out to
2.0 Speakers that I want to not need to buy an amp for

Kitchen Zone
Str K900
2.0 A/B Setup
I would like to run HDMI from the 4520 if possible to an HDMI input on th K900
post #12426 of 12648 Old 06-05-2015, 05:39 AM

Liked: 13
Need a Little Help

Hello,

I have a brand new 4520 and this is my first Denon (last receiver was Onkyo 5009). Number one problem is I cannot get access to the manual eq adjustments on any input, does that have to do with audyssey and do I have to run it to gain access or just turn it on? Also, I cannot access sub level on certain inputs but it is available on my cab/sat input for some reason. Not sure if that has to do with the speaker setup page, I would assume that applies to all inputs?

I am also having trouble getting a picture with my XboxOne but I am thinking it sat unplugged long enough that the display output setting on the xbox might need adjustment.

Any tips or tricks would be GREATLY appreciated.
post #12427 of 12648 Old 06-05-2015, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdriver5150 View Post
Hello,

I have a brand new 4520 and this is my first Denon (last receiver was Onkyo 5009). Number one problem is I cannot get access to the manual eq adjustments on any input, does that have to do with audyssey and do I have to run it to gain access or just turn it on? Also, I cannot access sub level on certain inputs but it is available on my cab/sat input for some reason. Not sure if that has to do with the speaker setup page, I would assume that applies to all inputs?
Just to be clear, NO receiver allows you to do manual EQ adjustments with Audyssey. You either use the Audyssey EQ filters with a few selectable target curves (Reference, Flat, Bypass) or you turn Audyssey EQ off and use the manual EQ, which also shuts out Audyssey features like Dynamic EQ. It sounds like you haven't even run Audyssey, so you should definitely do that as a first step before worrying about twiddling with a manual EQ. But, that said, the (manual) Graphic EQ is explained on pg 127 of your manual. You first have to set Audyssey EQ to "Graphic EQ" and then the menu becomes available.

The SW Level adjustment in the Audio menu is only available if the SW is an active speaker. If you haven't calibrated with Audyssey your front speakers are probably set to LARGE which means the SW may not be active in Stereo surround modes, which would explain why the SW Level isn't accessible. Again, running Audyssey and then following SOP afterwards to reset all speakers to SMALL will make the sub fire in all surround modes.
paligap likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #12428 of 12648 Old 06-06-2015, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Avr4520

Quote:
Originally Posted by doognam View Post
I hope you'll get back your unit soon.

My experience with rebooting 4520 tells me that they were not faulty hdmi boards but simple loose connection in the 5-pin connectors that bring power to the hdmi board. Of course, replacing the hdmi board could fix the loose connection(s).
The issue with replacing just the hdmi board is that the other connector element with the wire harness from the power supply board could still be loose.

Here is a page from Denon's service manual:
You where F.....G right I installed my 4520 saturday and it work for 2 hours....now it is rebooting rebooting I will try to have it fixed again , as soon as it is fixed I will sell it ....time to check something better than Denon's stuff (not hard to beat for me) I had problems with my denon 3808 either....too bad
post #12429 of 12648 Old 06-07-2015, 07:54 AM

Ok, took the advice on here and also printed out the 237 pages of the manual.

Last thing I am trying to accomplish is my HTPC, I have lots of 2 channel videos and many movies ripped in multi channel. The problem is I like the simulated sound of multi channel/all channel stereo from 2 channel sources. I understand that I can select how 2 channel sources are handled, but I am running an external amp for my front channels and it seems when I select 7.2/2 for the speaker configuration it cuts the sound from the pre amp channels hence the 2 channel option is not available.

My HTPC is set to 7.1 on the audio and the 4520 does not offer different sound fields from the the different modes (movie, music etc) as it is receiving true separate channels from the HTPC.

Last edited by viperdriver5150; 06-07-2015 at 08:03 AM.
post #12430 of 12648 Old 06-07-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 2330
Quote:
Ok, took the advice on here and also printed out the 237 pages of the manual.

Last thing I am trying to accomplish is my HTPC, I have lots of 2 channel videos and many movies ripped in multi channel. The problem is I like the simulated sound of multi channel/all channel stereo from 2 channel sources. I understand that I can select how 2 channel sources are handled, but I am running an external amp for my front channels and it seems when I select 7.2/2 for the speaker configuration it cuts the sound from the pre amp channels hence the 2 channel option is not available.

My HTPC is set to 7.1 on the audio and the 4520 does not offer different sound fields from the the different modes (movie, music etc) as it is receiving true separate channels from the HTPC.
How do you have your HTPC connected to the avr? Why did you change the amp assign setting?
post #12431 of 12648 Old 06-07-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigggy View Post
You where F.....G right I installed my 4520 saturday and it work for 2 hours....now it is rebooting rebooting I will try to have it fixed again , as soon as it is fixed I will sell it ....time to check something better than Denon's stuff (not hard to beat for me) I had problems with my denon 3808 either....too bad
Just the opposite here
My 3808 was flawless for six years. I still need to do something with it. And so far since replacing it with a refurbished 4520 last year, the 4520 has also worked great.
post #12432 of 12648 Old 06-07-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
How do you have your HTPC connected to the avr? Why did you change the amp assign setting?
It is hooked up HDMI. I have the 3 front channels set to pre amp and everything else runs off the receiver for the 7.1.

I ranaudyessy and I am not a fan of it at all. I reverted back to my settings with custom eq and got back some of that punch that my onkyo had. It sounds too hollow with the auto correction no matter how I tweak it.

My equipment:

4520ci
emotiva xpa-3
htpc
klipsch rf-7 II
klipsch rc-64 II
three rythmik fv-15hp
post #12433 of 12648 Old 06-07-2015, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It is hooked up HDMI. I have the 3 front channels set to pre amp and everything else runs off the receiver for the 7.1.

I ranaudyessy and I am not a fan of it at all. I reverted back to my settings with custom eq and got back some of that punch that my onkyo had. It sounds too hollow with the auto correction no matter how I tweak it.

My equipment:

4520ci
emotiva xpa-3
htpc
klipsch rf-7 II
klipsch rc-64 II
three rythmik fv-15hp
What do you use for custom eq? Audyssey on this unit works very well for me, huge impact and nothing hollow about it. Are you familiar with Audyssey setup from previous units?

Which 7.1 + 2 are you referring to? You changed because of zone, using a second pair of front speakers or bi-amping?

Are you outputting audio from your computer in LPCM/PCM?
post #12434 of 12648 Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Just the opposite here
My 3808 was flawless for six years. I still need to do something with it. And so far since replacing it with a refurbished 4520 last year, the 4520 has also worked great.

Same for me. My 3808CI was flawless since new (whatever year they came out). Installed 4520 last week and working perfectly so far.

post #12435 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Red face 4520 saga concluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
More problems in my Denon 4520CI saga.

Now I have intermittent times when my Denon 4520CI just completely loses video output over HDMI 1. Sometimes a power cycle fixes it, last night, and one other time I couldn't get it to come on no matter what I did, so I just left it unplugged overnight and it started working again normally the next day.

I'm requesting that Denon actually replace the unit completely with a different model at this point. In my nine months of ownership of this unit - it has actually been out of my possession for 6 months at the shop. I have had a legitimately working unit for about one month of that nine.

I don't know if they will help me, but I'm going to file a complaint with the better business bureau if they don't acknowledge the problem and try a little harder to make it right then sending me replacement refurb units that also don't work and then shorting my warranty to 1 year from the original 3 year because I now have a refurb unit with a different serial number.

I opened up yet another problem ticket with this information.
For anyone following my Denon trouble story - Denon stepped up to the plate and offered me a 7200wa to replace my issue laden 4520ci.
It arrived yesterday.

I hooked it up and only had a few minutes to play with it, but this unit seems to be fully functional and is a nice olive branch offering for a very frustrating experience. I don't think Denon owed me this, but I did ask that they either fully refunded my purchase price on the 4520CI I bought new from an authroized seller - that was subsequently broke about 8 of 9 months of ownership, and in the shop a half dozen times, or that they replace it with an equitable unit that was NOT a 4520CI. (since I had gone through two 4520ci's with problems). I had all my issues documented with receipts, as well as time calculated when the unit was out of the hand, or non functioning. It wasn't going to go in their favor if I went to the BBB, or to my Credit Card.
I figured they might offer a x4100, or x5200, either of which I would have accepted - because I was soured on the 4520, and didn't want to try a 3rd unit. I was surprised, and pleased, when they offered a x7200wa, it gives me enough satisifaction/credit/value to overlook some of my frustrations with this whole process.

At anyrate. I've been in here complaining a few times, and I wanted to take a moment to tell everyone that Denon made the situation right, and ultimately went above my expectations in the final solution they offered.
gsr, aaronwt, rlb and 5 others like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #12436 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Question on the 4520ci

On the 7200wa I realized I can push the audio button on the remote and change all channel trims, per input source - aside from the actual overall speaker channel trims that Audyssey set. e.g. Now I can change channel trims per input, per DSP mode, without affecting the channel trims for all sources which would happen if you change the channel trims under the general menu audio->speakers.

Can the 4520ci do that? I didn't realize it could, if it does when I owned it. Either way, that per input/per dsp mode channel trim function is a nice feature, so that you can lower the SPL levels of the rear channels in multichannel stereo and other DSP modes (which were way too overbearing with Dynamic EQ on).

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #12437 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Quote:
For anyone following my Denon trouble story - Denon stepped up to the plate and offered me a 7200wa to replace my issue laden 4520ci.
It arrived yesterday.

Very sweet deal indeed!
Craig Peer and Archaea like this.
post #12438 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

I was able to program the remote for all my devices except the TV. Can someone walk me through the steps (like which button do you program for example)? All the other devices have Blu-Ray, DVD, Sat/Cbl, etc. and were easy to set up. I have a Pronto which I can program, but it would be nice to have this remote available as well.

post #12439 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is the Denon 4520 a good buy still? Our is it to old. Was thinking about getting one threw ac4l. Opinions please.

Thanks...
post #12440 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc6284 View Post
Is the Denon 4520 a good buy still? Our is it to old. Was thinking about getting one threw ac4l. Opinions please.

Thanks...
It is really good by stil but hurri b4 their all gone
post #12441 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 01:14 PM

Cruchfield would not ship my Marantaz 7008 to my other address. So i cancelled my order. Now Im worried that might not be my best choice. Please tell guys you impute -

Marntz 7008
Denon 4520
Denon X4000

Thank you
post #12442 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 01:31 PM

Btw: Klipsch Ref rb 82ii 5.1 speakers and room 12x15ft
Might up grade to 7 or 9 in the future.
post #12443 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc6284 View Post
Btw: Klipsch Ref rb 82ii 5.1 speakers and room 12x15ft
Might up grade to 7 or 9 in the future.
So, you're using a RB82ii as a subwoofer??
post #12444 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:
Question on the 4520ci

On the 7200wa I realized I can push the audio button on the remote and change all channel trims, per input source - aside from the actual overall speaker channel trims that Audyssey set. e.g. Now I can change channel trims per input, per DSP mode, without affecting the channel trims for all sources which would happen if you change the channel trims under the general menu audio->speakers.

Can the 4520ci do that? I didn't realize it could, if it does when I owned it. Either way, that per input/per dsp mode channel trim function is a nice feature, so that you can lower the SPL levels of the rear channels in multichannel stereo and other DSP modes (which were way too overbearing with Dynamic EQ on).
The 4520 doesn't do that. D+M dropped the on the fly Ch Level adjustment for a couple of model gens starting with the 4520. They returned on this past gen with the new paradigm you see on the 7200. Global adjustments are made in the speakers menu and then you can make on the fly changes per input using the Option button.
post #12445 of 12648 Old 06-10-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
So, you're using a RB82ii as a subwoofer??
No sorry...

Rf-82ii
rc-62ii
rb_62
Svs pb-1000
post #12446 of 12648 Old 06-11-2015, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Does Flickr work on this receiver? I cannot even get the Interestingness selection to do anything and when I enter my contact (I assume that's my user name on Flickr), it says not found. My connection to the internet is fine and I can stream music, look for updates, etc.

post #12447 of 12648 Old 06-12-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I'm sharing a strange thing that happened to my 4520CI, originally posted in the Emotiva-XPA-5 thread 05-08-2015.
Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread

Quote:
Guys - I need some help.
I've got a XPA-3, purchased when I got my Denon 4520CI for 11.x surround, Dec-2012.
I use the XPA-3 for mains R/C/L, it turn's on via the 12v trigger from the 4520CI.

Just 3-4 weeks ago for some reason the XPA-3 started to go into protect mode, does not matter the main volume setting on the 4520.

Not right away, but 3-4-5 minutes after turn on...I have to push the orange button twice then it turns back on, and then maybe 1 more time within 5 minutes it might shut down a 2nd time.
Then it stays on for 2-3 hours straight thru a movie.

Any idea what causing this?
Is there some "known" issue and mine is now experiencing it?

I really don't abuse it, run the MV 99.9% of time at -12db or less, I really only go full MV (0 db) for demo time, and I NEVER run over 0 db, have volume limiter on.

Here's my open front AV rack
It's powering my 2008 Paradigm Monitor 9's R/L and CC-390 center.
Then posted this thread 05-14-2015
Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread
Quote:
I use 14/4 in wall wire for each speaker, so effectively 11 gage wire. RCA good quality interconnects pre out to in for signal

Unplugged everything, shut it all off, turned just the emotiva on, it did not power off after 20 minutes.

I then found out the Denon 4520 had zone 4 on, who knows how long.

So, I connected all speaker wires and interconnects , turned on everything, it's been problem free 3 days now......

Can't explain it except the zone 4 somehow triggered a false 12v signal trigger to turn off the emotiva?
I'm grasping at straws but now it works fine
Finally solved it just now!
Quote:
Well - this issue was not solved

The multi-zone was kept going on, and only when I turned on the system via the Harmony 890, which has not been updated in years...it just worked.

I went to the harmony site, re-did my set-up and found our a NEW Denon 4520CI device was recommended for me to replace my older one.
In my memory I did a Denon 4520CI firmware update a few months back, and possibly that is when this issue showed up.
Anyway After I re-sync the Harmony remote (and it's RF to IR repeater), it's all fixed.
Upon system start-up just zone 1 turned on....

So, somehow the 4 zones were on and that caused the 4520 to either clip bad or send shutdown 12v signal to the amp, but now it's been trouble free 7 days solid so I'm confident it's solved.
I'll re-post this in the 4520 thread, maybe others there who use Harmony remotes have noticed same issue.
Summary:
Those with a Harmony remote you might consider to re-load your 4520 Device and re-do the set-up, they did post an update that fixed this issue for me.
The Denon remote did NOT turn on all 4 zones, while the Harmony did, that led me to re run the set-up.
post #12448 of 12648 Old 06-12-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Summary:
Those with a Harmony remote you might consider to re-load your 4520 Device and re-do the set-up, they did post an update that fixed this issue for me.
The Denon remote did NOT turn on all 4 zones, while the Harmony did, that led me to re run the set-up.
Pretty weird, Mike, glad you got it sorted out. I recall when I first received my 4520, the Harmony was turning all four zones on. I simply used my 4311 remote to teach the Harmony to only turn on Zone 1, and never had any further issues with unwanted zones turning on.
mtbdudex likes this.
post #12449 of 12648 Old 06-14-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:

My equipment:

4520ci
emotiva xpa-3
htpc
klipsch rf-7 II
klipsch rc-64 II
three rythmik fv-15hp
Nice speakers and sub. If you ran Audyssey correctly I would definitely check and make sure you don't have Dynamic Volume engaged--Your experience was exactly like mine until I switched it off then Nirvana.

Then again, the "all channel stereo" is a setting I never use. Btw, how large is your room and why did you decide to purchase an external amp?
post #12450 of 12648 Old 06-14-2015, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 33
New Denon 4520 / New Firmware Released !

I have a new 4520 that is a week old and there is a pop up message that says there is a firmware released. After reading so many threads all over the Internet about a few people having problems with firmware updates I am wary about installing it.

Any 4520 owners out there that can help me with this?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page