The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 418 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12511 of 12527 Old 06-27-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
I understand that HDMI CEC might make it possible to send a power on/off command to my TV when I power on or off my AVR? Where would I find such a setting in the 4520?

Thanks!
Setup - Video - HDMI setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12512 of 12527 Old 06-27-2015, 09:45 PM
tap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Setup - Video - HDMI setup
I found turning the receiver off does not turn off the TV, but does switch the TV's speakers on. The other way around does work: Turning the TV off will power off the receiver. Usually handy, unless you want to listen to music with the TV off, then it's rather annoying. Turning the TV on will also power up the receiver but not the other way around. However, if the receiver decides it want to display something, such as entering a network audio source or turning on a CEC enabled playback device, then it will turn the TV on and change the TV's input.
post #12513 of 12527 Old 06-27-2015, 09:56 PM
tap

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My 4520-CI seems to be broken.

I got a refurbished on back in January from A4L. The volume has become very .. random... Sometimes some channels work and some don't. Sometimes it's really quiet. Sometimes it's speaker-destroying loud. Any change of volume gives some new random thing. For example, turn it on with volume set to -30 dBFS. Apparent volume is left -30, center -80, right -10, sub +5. Push volume down once, changes to left +30, center -50, right -50, sub -50, frantically push mute by reflex and it changes to left -40, center -30, right -30, sub +20, etc.

This has happened before and went away for several weeks after power-cycling the device. But now it's back and doesn't seem to be fixing itself. It does this with multiple different HDMI devices and with the receiver's network apps.

Anyone seen this before?

And for all the people who got bad 4520's from A4L, did you deal with A4L if the broke after 30 days or did go directly to Denon?
post #12514 of 12527 Old 06-28-2015, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I understand that HDMI CEC might make it possible to send a power on/off command to my TV when I power on or off my AVR? Where would I find such a setting in the 4520?

Thanks!
Setup->Video->HDMI Setup->HDMI Control

I think... I needed to enable it for the TV Audio Return Channel (rather than CEC).
post #12515 of 12527 Old 06-28-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap View Post
I found turning the receiver off does not turn off the TV, but does switch the TV's speakers on. The other way around does work: Turning the TV off will power off the receiver. Usually handy, unless you want to listen to music with the TV off, then it's rather annoying. Turning the TV on will also power up the receiver but not the other way around. However, if the receiver decides it want to display something, such as entering a network audio source or turning on a CEC enabled playback device, then it will turn the TV on and change the TV's input.
I was just pointing him at where in the 4520 to look for the HDMI CEC control. I don't use HDMI CEC in any case, use a Harmony remote to more reliably turn things on/off.
post #12516 of 12527 Old 06-28-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotia70 View Post

I think... I needed to enable it for the TV Audio Return Channel (rather than CEC).
ARC uses HDMI-CEC.
post #12517 of 12527 Old 06-28-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap View Post
My 4520-CI seems to be broken.

I got a refurbished on back in January from A4L. The volume has become very .. random... Sometimes some channels work and some don't. Sometimes it's really quiet. Sometimes it's speaker-destroying loud. Any change of volume gives some new random thing. For example, turn it on with volume set to -30 dBFS. Apparent volume is left -30, center -80, right -10, sub +5. Push volume down once, changes to left +30, center -50, right -50, sub -50, frantically push mute by reflex and it changes to left -40, center -30, right -30, sub +20, etc.

This has happened before and went away for several weeks after power-cycling the device. But now it's back and doesn't seem to be fixing itself. It does this with multiple different HDMI devices and with the receiver's network apps.

Anyone seen this before?

And for all the people who got bad 4520's from A4L, did you deal with A4L if the broke after 30 days or did go directly to Denon?
Yes, one of my refurbs did that with the volume. Even microprocessor reset didn't help. Did you try that?

I had two refurbs before I gave up and went new. A4L helped me out on the second a little beyond 30 days. Can't hurt to ask nicely....
post #12518 of 12527 Old 06-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotia70 View Post

What is TV Audio Return Channel? Is this an option somewhere in the 4520? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!
post #12519 of 12527 Old 06-28-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What is TV Audio Return Channel? Is this an option somewhere in the 4520? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!
It's the HDMI-CEC component in a compatible tv that can work with the avr for control....it is the HDMI Control in the 4520 as indicated.
post #12520 of 12527 Old 06-28-2015, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Power On doesn't work through Remote Control In

Has anyone been able to power on the 4520CI using the Remote Control In jack? Using Xantech IR.

See thread "Denon 4520CI will not "wake up" to Remote In Signal" under Audio/Receivers, Amps and Processors. Thanks in advance.
post #12521 of 12527 Old 06-28-2015, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Page 10 of the manual explains ARC with a nice sketch under About ARC Function. It eliminates having to use
a separate audio cable from tv to stereo. Audio will return from tv to receiver if desired over single hdmi cable.
The 4520 has 3 possible arc ports so designate which hdmi out (1,2 or 4) is active with hdmi control. ARC will
work on that port. Now turn on ARC in tv and it should work. Or connect a toslink cable and leave ARC off.
post #12522 of 12527 Old 06-29-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Video output

Hi. I have my laptop (native resolution 720) connected to my 4520 via HDMI. Until recently the 4520 would output 1080 to my monitor, from this input. Now it will only output 720. Any ideas as to what happened? Perhaps I should try another input? Thanks for any suggestions.
post #12523 of 12527 Old Today, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Roku3 Connection problems

I have a new Roku3 and then added a new Denon 4520CI AVR. The Roku would connect wirelessly with no problem but would not connect through the wired connection. I live chatted with Roku and they took me through all of the secret screens and we then found that the Denon was causing the error code in the Roku. I eliminated the Denon and the Roku took the wired connection.

I would like to use the Denon AVR bc it has a four port Ethernet expansion board on the back.

Does anyone know how to circumvent this problem before I contact Denon?

Thx
post #12524 of 12527 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 22
After getting everything hooked up I tried to play a couple music CD's through both a cheap Samsung Bluray player and through an older top end Sony DVD/CD player.

They both sounded absolutely terrible. The Samsung was worse but I expected that.

Here is my setup and save the bashing on the speakers since I know they suck.

Klipsch 2.1 Fronts:

Frequency Response: 55Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB SENSITIVITY: 93dB @ 1watt/1meter POWER HANDLING: 85 watts maximum continuous (340 watts peak) NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms TWEETER: K-94-S 1" (2.54cm) Silk dome compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Tractrix(r) Horn WOOFER: K-1041-SV 6.5" (16.51cm) Poly cone ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF) ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via front-mounted port DIMENSIONS: 15" (38.1cm) x 7.5" (19cm) x 8.25" (21cm) WEIGHT: 11 lbs. (5kg) FINISHES: Black, Rosewood vinyl Built From: 1997 BUILT UNTIL: 1999
Energy Center:

System Type 2.5-way center, bass reflex with rear-firing port Impedance 8 ohms nominal; 4 ohms minimum Frequency Response 60Hz - 20kHz ± 3dB Power Handling 20-200W per channel Dimensions 7.1" (18cm) H x 19.7" (50cm) W x 9.9" (25.2cm) D Sensitivity 92dB Tweeter 1" (25.4mm) hyperbolic aluminum-dome Included Accessories Manual, rubber bumpers Woofer 2 x 5.5" (140mm) with Ribbed Elliptical Surrounds Crossover Point 2.6kHz, 1.8kHz Weight 17.4 lbs / 7.9 kg (each) Finish High gloss black baffle with black ash cabinet

The settings are on small and I let Audyssey do everything else. The sound is so terrible it lacks any lows, sounds very "honky" and there are no crisp highs at all. Sounds very mono. I then started to randomly make changes since I haven't read the giant manual nor did I use it to try to find a cure. When I changed the setting to "large" for all speakers the sound drastically improved.

Knowing that I couldn't do that for very long I changed it back to small and then ran Audyssey again to reset the speakers.

Since running Audyssey again that sound has improved when playing a moive and the music still sounds like crap.

Other than buying new fronts and a center, which I am currently working on, what else should I be doing to improve the sound for listening to music?
post #12525 of 12527 Old Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo44 View Post
Roku3 Connection problems

I have a new Roku3 and then added a new Denon 4520CI AVR. The Roku would connect wirelessly with no problem but would not connect through the wired connection. I live chatted with Roku and they took me through all of the secret screens and we then found that the Denon was causing the error code in the Roku. I eliminated the Denon and the Roku took the wired connection.

I would like to use the Denon AVR bc it has a four port Ethernet expansion board on the back.

Does anyone know how to circumvent this problem before I contact Denon?

Thx
Use wireless with the Roku. All the streaming apps use low bitrate streams. Whether my Rokus use the wired connection or the wireless connection I have an identical experience. Things start playing just as quick and also ramp up to 1080P just as quick whether using the wired or wireless connection on my Roku 3 and two Roku 2 boxes.

Plus the Denon supposedly uses an Ethernet hub instead of an Ethernet switch. I stopped using Ethernet hubs in the 1990's. I've only used Ethernet switches since the late 90's with my devices.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #12526 of 12527 Old Today, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I'm assuming you have a 4520 driving them. First, the stupid questions! Double check ALL speaker connections at the speaker and the AVR. Make sure the speakers are not out of phase, or the red, positive on the speaker is connected to the red or positive at the avr for all speakers. Next, how are the disc players connected to the avr? Analog or digital?

Next, since you have 2 dvd players connected at the same time, then they can't be employed using the same source on the AVR. One has to be DVD Player, and the other, Bluray Player, or CD player selection on the AVR. Perhaps you could post how you have them connected so we get an idea.

Next, what soundfield mode is the AVR in when playing the music? If you look at the 4520 remote, near the bottom you will see 4 buttons in color. You should hold down the red button until a big menu window appears on screen, then select stereo. Or, if you have the disc players connected via analog cables, use the yellow "Direct" button so the Denon keeps the signal in analog and does not process it.

Just some ideas to check.
post #12527 of 12527 Old Today, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, without knowing detailed settings hard to help. Another thing to check is the status of Audyssey Dynamic Volume, running Audyssey on this unit automatically enables it after running the calibration routine. First thing I turn off. Also, you mention 2.1 yet list a center speaker....so is it 3.1? The sub is the Klipsch 15-2 I think you mentioned earlier?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com