The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 419 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #12541 of 12545 Old Today, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo44 View Post
Would it be as simple as choosing one of the colored buttons on the remote as opposed to being repeated told I do not know what I am doing and that my gear sucks?
Try this to get started:

1. If you haven't already found the best location for your subwoofer, perform the Subwoofer Crawl to determine it.
2. Assuming you're using the Klipsch SW-15, turn the Low Pass control on the sub to 120Hz or the highest it will go (to effectively take if out of the crossover equation - the AVR will handle it).
3. Run Audyssey. Adjust the Level control on the sub until Audyssey sets a -6 to -9 subwoofer Level setting in the AVR (you'll probably need to rerun the Audyssey #1 position calibration several times.
4. Once Audyssey is complete, change the speaker type to Small (this enables bass management in the AVR).
5. Change the Crossovers for your LCR in the AVR to 80Hz.
6. Increase the Subwoofer Level in the AVR by +6dB (e.g. if the original level was -9, then adjusting by +6 will give you a final setting of -3).
7. Set the LPF of LFE to 120Hz.
8. Set Dynamic Volume (DVol) to DISABLED.
9. Set Low Frequency Containment to DISABLED.
10. Set Dynamic EQ (DEQ) to ENABLED.
11. Listen to some music. If you think the top end is missing a little "sparkle", change the Audyssey curve to Audyssey Flat. YMMV.
12. I find that for movies, I need to reduce the level for the Surrounds by -4dB, otherwise they are overpowering in my setup. YMMV.

Hopefully this will get you close enough where all you'll need to do is some minor tweaking (unless you decide to start doing measurements..that's another rabbit hole altogether). Good luck.
Lobo44 likes this.

...pic... and ...more...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL/Salk SongCtr-RAAL/Salk SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (setup help) ; Denon 4520CI ; D-Sonic M2-800S ; Oppo BDP93 ; Panny 65VT50 ; BJCables ; Schiit Valhalla -> Senn HD600 & HD555 ; Schiit Magni2Uber/Modi2Uber -> Oppo PM-3 ; Schiit Fulla -> RHA MA750 & AT ATH-M50S
WDTV Live Hub ; Xbox 360 ; Chromecast ; Harmony One ; DLNA NAS ; Furman Elite-15 PFi ; Salamander Synergy ; Omnimic & REW ; CalMAN 5 HT ; i1D3 & i1 Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12542 of 12545 Old Today, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
Lobo 44

Good luck finding your lackluster audio sound coming from that receiver. I had one . In fact 2 . Sent it back for a new one once . Hunted for a couple years trying ,and blaming everything on everything except what it turned out to be.... That 4520 is a piss poor unit for playing music. I finally moved on ,bought something else, and very happy, Should have done it much sooner ... read this article ....Its dead on....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...tdA27gTCoqDPHw
I'm not worried about what the AVR is capable of. I have finally gone ahead and printed the manual (all 250 pages) to finally start to read it. The speakers I have at the moment are not good and are contributing to the problem. I finally started poking around and found the "Tone" option which was hiding the Bass and Treble levels. Made some tweaks and it got a lot better. I'll read the manual and make as many changes as I can to these speakers to get the best sound possible. Hopefully some here will come along and tell me to make a change here and there (like Lovinthehd has) to further help me tweak this system.

After I purchase much better fronts and center speakers I'm positive it will come alive.
post #12543 of 12545 Old Today, 09:52 PM

Here is the front of the room and you can see what I am dealing with in terms of speaker placement and places for gear.

post #12544 of 12545 Old Today, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post
Try this to get started:

1. If you haven't already found the best location for your subwoofer, perform the Subwoofer Crawl to determine it.
2. Assuming you're using the Klipsch SW-15, turn the Low Pass control on the sub to 120Hz or the highest it will go (to effectively take if out of the crossover equation - the AVR will handle it).
3. Run Audyssey. Adjust the Level control on the sub until Audyssey sets a -6 to -9 subwoofer Level setting in the AVR (you'll probably need to rerun the Audyssey #1 position calibration several times.
4. Once Audyssey is complete, change the speaker type to Small (this enables bass management in the AVR).
5. Change the Crossovers for your LCR in the AVR to 80Hz.
6. Increase the Subwoofer Level in the AVR by +6dB (e.g. if the original level was -9, then adjusting by +6 will give you a final setting of -3).
7. Set the LPF of LFE to 120Hz.
8. Set Dynamic Volume (DVol) to DISABLED.
9. Set Low Frequency Containment to DISABLED.
10. Set Dynamic EQ (DEQ) to ENABLED.
11. Listen to some music. If you think the top end is missing a little "sparkle", change the Audyssey curve to Audyssey Flat. YMMV.
12. I find that for movies, I need to reduce the level for the Surrounds by -4dB, otherwise they are overpowering in my setup. YMMV.

Hopefully this will get you close enough where all you'll need to do is some minor tweaking (unless you decide to start doing measurements..that's another rabbit hole altogether). Good luck.
Awesome! thanks. I looked all over and couldn't find #9 . I'll dig through the manual and see if I can find it.
post #12545 of 12545 Unread Today, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 73
^^^

Yikes, you have some real challenges with that setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo44 View Post
Awesome! thanks. I looked all over and couldn't find #9 . I'll dig through the manual and see if I can find it.
Audio -> Audyssey -> Audyssey LFC (set to OFF).

Page 126 of the owner's manual.

...pic... and ...more...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL/Salk SongCtr-RAAL/Salk SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (setup help) ; Denon 4520CI ; D-Sonic M2-800S ; Oppo BDP93 ; Panny 65VT50 ; BJCables ; Schiit Valhalla -> Senn HD600 & HD555 ; Schiit Magni2Uber/Modi2Uber -> Oppo PM-3 ; Schiit Fulla -> RHA MA750 & AT ATH-M50S
WDTV Live Hub ; Xbox 360 ; Chromecast ; Harmony One ; DLNA NAS ; Furman Elite-15 PFi ; Salamander Synergy ; Omnimic & REW ; CalMAN 5 HT ; i1D3 & i1 Pro2
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page