The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 422 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12631 of 12648 Old 07-27-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Just curious if anyone has had any trouble tryting to sell thier 4520. I imagine many still shrug off Atmos or are plenty happy with traditional. I am thinking of making the Atmos jump to add overheads in a new build...

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12632 of 12648 Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 2327
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
As a NooB with this feature, can someone tell me how it works ? I know my TV supports it, so when I plug something directly into my tv, how does the audio get back in to the 5420 ? Does it need to be set to an input or will it just automatically start playing audio from the TV no matter what input it's on as long as nothing is being played back ?

I have a few consoles that I connect directly to the TV, would love for this to work (input via composite or S-Video)...
The audio via ARC (audio return channel) is accomplished by having an hdmi cable from the hdmi out on your avr to an ARC-enabled hdmi port on your tv (on my Samsung it's hdmi 2). HDMI-CEC needs to be enabled in both the avr and the tv. The tv may not pass any better than a 2.0 signal back to the avr, depends on the tv, but it will not be able to carry lossless codecs like TrueHD or DTS MA. Sometimes you would get better audio by using the optical out on the tv to your avr. I personally don't bother with ARC, just annoyed me with the tv trying to control the input on my old Onkyo avr and to be honest haven't even tried it with the 4520 but since I don't use tv-based audio (I have all sources routed through my avr) and I know my tv limits output to 2.0 there's no point....YMMV.
post #12633 of 12648 Old 07-27-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Just curious if anyone has had any trouble tryting to sell thier 4520. I imagine many still shrug off Atmos or are plenty happy with traditional. I am thinking of making the Atmos jump to add overheads in a new build...

I wouldn't think so. Hopefully you have the original box etc. Try Ebay. Or, the classifieds right here on AVS.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #12634 of 12648 Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I wouldn't think so. Hopefully you have the original box etc. Try Ebay. Or, the classifieds right here on AVS.
Oh yes of course And of course in perfect condition with all manuals, remote, Audyssey mic, etc.

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
post #12635 of 12648 Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Oh yes of course And of course in perfect condition with all manuals, remote, Audyssey mic, etc.
I finally sold off one of my 4520's a few months back. I got $1K for it ehich was great at the time. However, it totally irked the sh!t out fo me to fork over $1400 for a Marantz 7702 just for Atmos......but I am glad I did. The The four ceiling speakers really do make a difference if you have the space for them...
post #12636 of 12648 Old 07-30-2015, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I sold mine on E-Bay 6 months ago for 799 Dollars. I tried to get 900 out of it but no buyers... Dropped it to 799 and it sold. I had to pay shipping all the way across America so be careful... I think the shipping cost me 60 bucks...
post #12637 of 12648 Old Today, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I encountered a MAJOR problem today. I turned on the AVR, volume is set to start at -40, it was a full blast, 0.0db. I muted it immediately! Hopefully I don't blow any speakers. It's doing this in every source. If I try to adjust volume it goes nuts.

What should I try before sending it to Denon?
post #12638 of 12648 Old Today, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethestalker View Post
I encountered a MAJOR problem today. I turned on the AVR, volume is set to start at -40, it was a full blast, 0.0db. I muted it immediately! Hopefully I don't blow any speakers. It's doing this in every source. If I try to adjust volume it goes nuts.

What should I try before sending it to Denon?
Soft then hard resets.....
post #12639 of 12648 Old Today, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Soft then hard resets.....
I don't see in the manual how to do a soft, presuming "resetting the microprocessor" (page 204 of manual) is a hard? Right now it's sitting unplugged for 10 minutes.
post #12640 of 12648 Old Today, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't see in the manual how to do a soft, presuming "resetting the microprocessor" (page 204 of manual) is a hard?
Soft is unplugging the unit for a while before plugging it back in....yes, microprocessor reset would be the hard reset.
post #12641 of 12648 Old Today, 05:43 PM

soft reset did make changes, still has similar symptoms. However, volume up/down while watching an HDMI source sometimes causes an Internet radio station to play (preset station), there are also popping sounds with each button press or powering off the unit. Sound from DVR is coming from different speakers with each press of the volume buttons. BUT, at least it's not at 0.0db like it was.

I'm doing the hard reset now.
post #12642 of 12648 Old Today, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
soft reset did make changes, still has similar symptoms. However, volume up/down while watching an HDMI source sometimes causes an Internet radio station to play (preset station), there are also popping sounds with each button press or powering off the unit. Sound from DVR is coming from different speakers with each press of the volume buttons. BUT, at least it's not at 0.0db like it was.

I'm doing the hard reset now.
Crossing fingers for you. Curious, any changes lately or ?
post #12643 of 12648 Old Today, 06:02 PM

For some reason my last 2 posts didn't post. Soft reset didn't help. It brought on different issues. Full reset didn't help. During the setup, it sent full volume to one of my surround speakers!!!

My internet radio stations (preset buttons on the remote) are still the same. Did it not fully reset?

It's toast.

Last edited by davethestalker; Today at 06:10 PM.
post #12644 of 12648 Old Today, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For some reason my last 2 posts didn't post. Soft reset didn't help. It brought on different issues. Full reset didn't help. During the setup, it sent full volume to one of my surround speakers!!!

My internet radio stations (preset buttons on the remote) are still the same. Did it not fully reset?

It's toast.
One of the refurbs I had did something similar after a month. Time to use the warranty.
post #12645 of 12648 Old Today, 06:18 PM

Quote:
One of the refurbs I had did something similar after a month. Time to use the warranty.
This is making me regret switching from Yamaha. Now, I have to coax the Mrs into letting me bring the RXA710 back down to the Man Cave. I also got a friend to leave Onkyo for Denon, he's probably kinda anxious right now.

I'm sure it's a board(s) that is the issue. I was having the HDMI & network board issue (black screen) pretty early on, within the first month of ownership.

It was perfectly fine last night when I shut it off.
post #12646 of 12648 Old Today, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This is making me regret switching from Yamaha. Now, I have to coax the Mrs into letting me bring the RXA710 back down to the Man Cave. I also got a friend to leave Onkyo for Denon, he's probably kinda anxious right now.

I'm sure it's a board(s) that is the issue. I was having the HDMI & network board issue (black screen) pretty early on, within the first month of ownership.

It was perfectly fine last night when I shut it off.
How long have you had it? New or refurb? Did you have it repaired for the HDMI/network board issue?
post #12647 of 12648 Old Today, 07:08 PM

Quote:
How long have you had it? New or refurb? Did you have it repaired for the HDMI/network board issue?
It was purchased new in February from an authorized Internet retailer. No, I did not get the HDMI/Network board fixed, I loosened the screws as a bandaid.

What did they do with your situation, fix or replace? I'd much rather they repair mine, a lot of negative posts here about refurbs.
post #12648 of 12648 Old Today, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It was purchased new in February from an authorized Internet retailer. No, I did not get the HDMI/Network board fixed, I loosened the screws as a bandaid.

What did they do with your situation, fix or replace? I'd much rather they repair mine, a lot of negative posts here about refurbs.
I was able to exchange the bad refurb (my second) and up the order to a new unit (paying the $100 difference for having a better warranty and not having to go thru a third refurb seemed the way to go). No issues with the new unit for 5 months. Denon's refurb program seems to have too many issues with the 4520 (or maybe more? I don't follow the other models).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com