The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 427 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 811Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
ppasteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis-g View Post
So my 4520 that I have had for 14 months is crapping out. Sound goes from soft to ear splitting and then goes silent and then pops like it's going to blow my speakers. Plus it now starts out with a hissing sound before it goes crazy. I was able to keep changing inputs and turning it on and off at first to fix it, but now nothing works. I have done a soft reset and a hard reset multiple times. I bought this from Accesories4less as a refurb and of course like a fool I didn't get the extended warranty. Paid 1200.00 for this piece of junk that has given me other small issues also. Whats my next play here? Any ideas on what it might cost to have this repaired if its the DSP board? I will never buy Denon again. Had an Onkyo for years without issue, may go with Yamaha next.
Sorry for the rant but a flagship product should not have the problems that the 4520 seems to have across the board.


This sounds like a problem that I had with a refurb from the same company. I found that whacking it on the left side would often temporarily fix the issue. I had it at a local Denon repair facility, but after riding in my truck it was fine. Of course, after the warranty period was up, it started again. I opened it up (as mentioned it was out of the one year warranty period, so I had little to lose) and reseated all of the boards and connectors that I could get to. It is working fine now and has been for a few months.


There was a discussion about this with info on the boards to focus on and pictures earlier in this thread. Take a look, it may allow you to fix your problem. Following those instructions worked for me.


I tracked down the posts.
Something to try without pulling the cover: Post 8657. My experience and additional information on what boards to concentrate on starts at post 12230. Good luck...


BTW A4L did treat me well on the first units return and replacement. The second unit problems happened about 8 months in.. well beyond the point where they had any responsibility for doing anything. I too bought a new unit which has been fine for over a year now.

Last edited by ppasteur; 09-06-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: additional information
ppasteur is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 14,001
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3534 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
This sounds like a problem that I had with a refurb from the same company. I found that whacking it on the left side would often temporarily fix the issue. I had it at a local Denon repair facility, but after riding in my truck it was fine. Of course, after the warranty period was up, it started again. I opened it up (as mentioned it was out of the one year warranty period, so I had little to lose) and reseated all of the boards and connectors that I could get to. It is working fine now and has been for a few months.


There was a discussion about this with info on the boards to focus on and pictures earlier in this thread. Take a look, it may allow you to fix your problem. Following those instructions worked for me.
FWIW the refurb is per Denon, A4L just sells 'em and IME holds up their end of the deal well....had pretty much the same thing happen to my second refurb as travis-g too, after a bit over 30 days. That's when I went new....no issues and A4L went beyond their terms to help out.
lovinthehd is online now  
Old 09-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Member
 
travis-g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I will try the bang on the side, ride around town, reseat card trick and any other suggestions before I drop any change on it for sure. Thx guys.

Moving Heaven and Earth one Sub at a Time.
travis-g is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Member
 
travis-g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A4L has the Marantz 7008 with 3 year warranty for 749.00 shipped. I'm tempted if I have to spend 4 hundo on the Denon.

Moving Heaven and Earth one Sub at a Time.

Last edited by travis-g; 09-06-2015 at 03:17 PM.
travis-g is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Newbie
 
vincedf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question.
I came across a weird scenario, I just moved my Denon 4520 with an attached emotiva xpa-5 from one room to another. beside the different in wall speaker cables, everything is the same.
the problem is that now I have a fairly noise buzz coming from all my speakers. If I disconnect my interconnect and use just my receiver everything is perfect, but if use the receiver's preouts and the amp the noise is back.

I guess I'm just looking for something that I am missing or ideas from anybody that has experienced the same issue.

Thank you and great forum!
vincedf is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 11:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 14,001
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3534 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Search for ground loop hum. Since your avr is fine alone just use it, not like you're losing much amp power.
lovinthehd is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:18 AM
Senior Member
 
laulau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: "The loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean"
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincedf View Post
Hello,
I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question.
I came across a weird scenario, I just moved my Denon 4520 with an attached emotiva xpa-5 from one room to another. beside the different in wall speaker cables, everything is the same.
the problem is that now I have a fairly noise buzz coming from all my speakers. If I disconnect my interconnect and use just my receiver everything is perfect, but if use the receiver's preouts and the amp the noise is back.

I guess I'm just looking for something that I am missing or ideas from anybody that has experienced the same issue.

Thank you and great forum!
Had a similar issue with my system. Turned out it was caused by my cable TV connection, and was solved with the installation of a ground isolator (Jensen). If you have cable TV, it might be worth looking into.

Audioholics article on ground loop.
Viewsonics ground isolator.
Jensen ground isolator.

Salk SongTowers-RAAL/Salk SongCtr-RAAL/Salk SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) ; Denon 4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; w/BJCables; NAS DLNA; Xbox 360; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic & REW; CalMAN 5 HT i1D3 & i1 Pro2
AGD DAC-19 > Cavalli LC & Schiit Valhalla>>Senn HD600 & HFM HE400i w/BITV Cables ; Schiit Ma2Uber/Mo2Uber>>Oppo PM-3 & Senn HD555 ; Schiit Fulla>>RHA MA750 & AT ATH-M50S
laulau is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Since I installed my recently aquired/repaired 4520 into my modest system, I've been completely overjoyed with it's performance, such a big step up from what I had before.
This morning I had it up & playing some music as we had breakfast (SomaFM Lush, over Asus Chromebook/Kodi) when the AVR suddenly just shut off, and red blinking standby light. I walked over & hit the power button, and the blinking stopped, but still no power up. Hit button again, it came back up & continues playing as before. I have the AVR in a lowboy Ikea media stand, I have 2 wood pieces under the feet to elevate it a bit more to allow airflow, and there is a 1.5" gap both above & below it on the shelf. I stuck an instant read thermo I have on top for a while & it indicated approx 140F. Does that seem high? Though about getting some additional cooling fan on top to pull more air out. Ambient temp in room is not hot, AVR was playing at low volume, so it wasn't being driven hard.
Just wondering if there's any suggestions on cause or could it just be an anomaly. I've been using it daily ever since I got it, this is the only time this has occurred.
God ,I hope this isn't an indicator of more problems, I can't afford another $300 .
christoofar is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
mecmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Since I installed my recently aquired/repaired 4520 into my modest system, I've been completely overjoyed with it's performance, such a big step up from what I had before.
This morning I had it up & playing some music as we had breakfast (SomaFM Lush, over Asus Chromebook/Kodi) when the AVR suddenly just shut off, and red blinking standby light. I walked over & hit the power button, and the blinking stopped, but still no power up. Hit button again, it came back up & continues playing as before. I have the AVR in a lowboy Ikea media stand, I have 2 wood pieces under the feet to elevate it a bit more to allow airflow, and there is a 1.5" gap both above & below it on the shelf. I stuck an instant read thermo I have on top for a while & it indicated approx 140F. Does that seem high? Though about getting some additional cooling fan on top to pull more air out. Ambient temp in room is not hot, AVR was playing at low volume, so it wasn't being driven hard.
Just wondering if there's any suggestions on cause or could it just be an anomaly. I've been using it daily ever since I got it, this is the only time this has occurred.
God ,I hope this isn't an indicator of more problems, I can't afford another $300 .
I'm going to TRY and be nice here....

1.5" OF AIRFLOW ABOVE AND BELOW IT, ARE YOU INSANE???!!!!
Sorry, looks like I failed.
Yes, you are killing your nice receiver by baking it to death. Get some fans at the very least and at best FOLLOW PROPER LISTED PROCEDURE FROM THE MANUFACTURER FOR AIRFLOW!
mecmec is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
I'm going to TRY and be nice here....

1.5" OF AIRFLOW ABOVE AND BELOW IT, ARE YOU INSANE???!!!!
Sorry, looks like I failed.
Yes, you are killing your nice receiver by baking it to death. Get some fans at the very least and at best FOLLOW PROPER LISTED PROCEDURE FROM THE MANUFACTURER FOR AIRFLOW!
Wellll...alrighty then.
christoofar is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
140° ambiant around the unit does seem high, internal temps will be higher. I had concerns with my system with similar free-air space around the AVR. I added some cooling fans to the cabinet and now the temp is less than 100°F.
I'd remove the wood from under the feet to get more space above the unit. Manufactures give clearence numbers for the sides, top, and back...the feet should be good enough for the bottom.
gsr and lovinthehd like this.

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8040HD : SR-8040BP | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
ceh383 is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Matt2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,950
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 7039
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Since I installed my recently aquired/repaired 4520 into my modest system, I've been completely overjoyed with it's performance, such a big step up from what I had before.
This morning I had it up & playing some music as we had breakfast (SomaFM Lush, over Asus Chromebook/Kodi) when the AVR suddenly just shut off, and red blinking standby light. I walked over & hit the power button, and the blinking stopped, but still no power up. Hit button again, it came back up & continues playing as before. I have the AVR in a lowboy Ikea media stand, I have 2 wood pieces under the feet to elevate it a bit more to allow airflow, and there is a 1.5" gap both above & below it on the shelf. I stuck an instant read thermo I have on top for a while & it indicated approx 140F. Does that seem high? Though about getting some additional cooling fan on top to pull more air out. Ambient temp in room is not hot, AVR was playing at low volume, so it wasn't being driven hard.
Just wondering if there's any suggestions on cause or could it just be an anomaly. I've been using it daily ever since I got it, this is the only time this has occurred.
God ,I hope this isn't an indicator of more problems, I can't afford another $300 .
From the owners manual Page II, see attachment:


Note that 12" is recommended in all directions but the bottom.

Personally, as noted in a prior post, I use a dual fan unit with a thermostat controller set to come on just above room temperature.

I don't know why your unit shut down, even so, I would not run my unit without the fans as I only have ~4" of top clearance while the back and sides are open. My work experience taught me that for every 10 C rise in temperature cuts the time in half of chip failures, so, IF there was a defect desined to fail in 1,000 hours at 25 C, raising the temperature to 35 C could cause it to fail in 500 hours. IF I have math anywhere close at 140F you are around 65C, about 35 C above 25 C. Thats a 10 C rise 3 plus times, i.e. at 35 C failure pulled in to 500 hours, 45 C to 250 hours, 55 C to 125 hours another 5 C to 60 C somewhere under 100 hours to trigger that defect failure. Even if there is no inherent semiconductor defect you are aging the silicon chips at a greatly accelerated rate. Just my opinion, and may be of no consequence today as I have been retired for some time. I prefer to be on the conservative side...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page II Denon 4250.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	928354  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
Denon AVR4520CI; 9.1 setup
Samsung 55H8000 TS02; Samsung BD-F7500 (2014)
Klipsch R-12SW Subwoofer (Looking to add SVS PC2000 or SB2000)
LRC & RS = Celestion 5s & 3s; Front height and side surrounds = Polks
Matt2026 is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I'm on it! Thanks for the responses, I always skip thru the first "warning" pages of manuals, seems I'll be paying closer attention in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01..._detailpages00
christoofar is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
140° ambiant around the unit does seem high, internal temps will be higher. I had concerns with my system with similar free-air space around the AVR. I added some cooling fans to the cabinet and now the temp is less than 100°F.
I'd remove the wood from under the feet to get more space above the unit.
Done!
christoofar is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
mecmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
I'm on it! Thanks for the responses, I always skip thru the first "warning" pages of manuals, seems I'll be paying closer attention in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01..._detailpages00
Perfect choice! It's what I use, and don't cheap out, get at least 2!
mecmec is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
mecmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Heat issues can manifest themselves with varying effects. Here's my dumb ass moment:
The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200)

Same issue, not listening loud just on for two hours with about as much clearance as you had...but the difference was my fans which are normally on, were unplugged. duh!
mecmec is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
Heat issues can manifest themselves with varying effects. Here's my dumb ass moment:
The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200)

Same issue, not listening loud just on for two hours with about as much clearance as you had...but the difference was my fans which are normally on, were unplugged. duh!
When I took mine in for repair (inherited from a client upgrade/ e-waste pile) I noticed that one of the cooling fans mounts were broken off, had the tech tiewrap it back in place. Just wish the 4520 had USB ports on the backside to power these & turn off when amp is turned off. And yes, bumped my order up to 2 of them.
christoofar is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 14,001
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3534 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
When I took mine in for repair (inherited from a client upgrade/ e-waste pile) I noticed that one of the cooling fans mounts were broken off, had the tech tiewrap it back in place. Just wish the 4520 had USB ports on the backside to power these & turn off when amp is turned off. And yes, bumped my order up to 2 of them.
It has a usb port on the back, what I use to power my fan.....
lovinthehd is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
I have surge protectors that have triggered outlets, so even without USB or outlets on the receiver my fans will turn on when the AVR is powered up.

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8040HD : SR-8040BP | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
ceh383 is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
I have surge protectors that have triggered outlets, so even without USB or outlets on the receiver my fans will turn on when the AVR is powered up.
I have mine setup that way too.

Projector & Screen: Benq W1070 Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
bluer101 is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
mecmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
It has a usb port on the back, what I use to power my fan.....
yes, but it is on all the time....


edit: only when you have network standby enabled..

Last edited by mecmec; 09-07-2015 at 02:55 PM.
mecmec is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
It has a usb port on the back, what I use to power my fan.....
Geez, I may need new glasses, swear I crawled back behind it & looked for it with a flashlight. Googled it & see it now.
I'm wondering if running 2 fans off of it would cause any issues?
christoofar is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 14,001
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3534 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
yes, but is on all the time....
Not when the avr is off....do you want to sometimes run the avr and not have the fan running?

ps Do you use hdmi or network standby? I don't....

Last edited by lovinthehd; 09-07-2015 at 02:17 PM.
lovinthehd is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 14,001
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3534 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Geez, I may need new glasses, swear I crawled back behind it & looked for it with a flashlight. Googled it & see it now.
I'm wondering if running 2 fans off of it would cause any issues?
My fan came with a usb plug that has a built-in piggybacked usb port....I've plugged an ipod into this piggybacked port with the same fan (as I use on my Denon) as I use on my old Pioneer in the garage and it still appears to work fine, haven't tried it on the Denon. Don't know if there's a voltage drop in doing so?
lovinthehd is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
mecmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Not when the avr is off....do you want to sometimes run the avr and not have the fan running?

ps Do you use hdmi or network standby? I don't....
I do use network standby and my back usb port is active all the time, even when both zones are off.. Maybe the network standby is the culprit?

And of course the batpig in post 5638 confirms that when network standby is on so is the usb port.. Gotta love that pig..

Last edited by mecmec; 09-07-2015 at 02:59 PM.
mecmec is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Well, seems like I have more major issues with this unit, as it shut down again & is staying down. Standby led is lit, but won't power up, and can't turn it off from standby either. I had a mini Vornado fan blowing across it all day, and felt the top cover several times & it did not feel excessively warm to me.
While heat may be a factor, the fact that it's been running for more than 2 weeks now under much hotter ambient temps that we have had this weekend without issue leads me to think it is something more.Crap, now I need to decide if I spend more on this thing or cut my $300 loss & move on...
christoofar is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4520ci w/Polk rti A9's

I am powering a pair of Polk Audio rti A9s (fronts) with the Denon 4520ci AVR. I am looking to add an amp to the system. My thought is to add an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA5. Does anyone have any feedback on powering the A9s with an XPA amp?
corbus02 is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbus02 View Post
I am powering a pair of Polk Audio rti A9s (fronts) with the Denon 4520ci AVR. I am looking to add an amp to the system. My thought is to add an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA5. Does anyone have any feedback on powering the A9s with an XPA amp?
Yes - it is a good combination. I use an Emo XPA-5 with the Polk RtiA9's and they sound great! The A9's really do need more power than even a large AVR can provide. And while the XPA5's 200wpc seems to be adequate, I picked up a used XPA2 (300wpc) to power the A9's exclusively. I even know guys who power their A9's with twin XPA2's configured as monoblock 600wpc amps!

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
RobLee is online now  
Old 09-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at the XPA-2s, as well. The A9s are certainly power hogs.
corbus02 is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 14,001
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3534 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbus02 View Post
I am powering a pair of Polk Audio rti A9s (fronts) with the Denon 4520ci AVR. I am looking to add an amp to the system. My thought is to add an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA5. Does anyone have any feedback on powering the A9s with an XPA amp?
Bench tests of the 4520 here http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...0IM0t6uF4Zc.97

Why spend that much for an almost imperceptible bump in spl capability? No subwoofer? Are you powering other speakers than the mains with the 4520?
lovinthehd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off