The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 433 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 833Likes

Old 10-21-2015, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3272 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I made my rear usb port the active one, so it can power some fans I havr.

Is there a way to make it power on and power off when I turn the AVR on and off?
The issue is that the USB and network functions are linked (same board I think) so if Network Standby IP Control is turned on (allowing you to wake the receiver from standby with AirPlay, network browser, etc) it means the USB port will always be active too.
kmhvball likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4270 Post(s)
Liked: 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I made my rear usb port the active one, so it can power some fans I havr.

Is there a way to make it power on and power off when I turn the AVR on and off?
It will do that on its own with the basic standby mode, as long as you don't have the Network or HDMI controls enabled; that's how mine runs.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I turn off the subwoofer via the settings >> audio menu, I assume it will disable the bass management and speaker setting (mine is set to small) and send the full signal to the mains ? Cheers.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
The issue is that the USB and network functions are linked (same board I think) so if Network Standby IP Control is turned on (allowing you to wake the receiver from standby with AirPlay, network browser, etc) it means the USB port will always be active too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
It will do that on its own with the basic standby mode, as long as you don't have the Network or HDMI controls enabled; that's how mine runs.
Thanks for the info! I currently have the Network functionality on full time, although, not sure I need to - so, I'll think more about it.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked: 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramic View Post
If I turn off the subwoofer via the settings >> audio menu, I assume it will disable the bass management and speaker setting (mine is set to small) and send the full signal to the mains ? Cheers.
I think if you turn it off in the Audio menu, bass management is still active. If you turn it off in the Speakers menu, bass management is then disabled.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You can't turn the sub off in the audio menu, you can only change its output level.
Hmmm...you're probably right Jerry, but I could have sworn I've seen a Subwoofer YES/NO or ON/OFF in the Audio menu.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Hmmm...you're probably right Jerry, but I could have sworn I've seen a Subwoofer YES/NO or ON/OFF in the Audio menu.
You guys are thinking of two different things.

Jerry is talking about the SW Level adjust.

You are thinking of the sub parameter that's available when you are in the Stereo surround mode.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That option is normally grayed out. Here is the user guide description. The OP did not specify he was using Direct or Pure Direct, so I guess the answer is "it depends".

Yup, that was it...I knew I saw it somewhere in there.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am talking about the section I posted from the user's guide.
Not when I was typing my message

I was replying to this, "You can't turn the sub off in the audio menu, you can only change its output level."

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 10-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
That option is normally grayed out. Here is the user guide description. The OP did not specify he was using Direct or Pure Direct, so I guess the answer is "it depends".

Sorry for the confusion. Yes I meant turning off the subwoofer when in 2 channel stereo mode - so the consenus that it does switch off bass management and the full signal is sent to the mains regardless of the speaker setting menu (ie small vs large) ?

I agree that with my hdmi connections, the subwoofer option is greyed out and you can only adjust the level.

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Jerry -- a slight correction but I think you are misreading the footnote to imply that SW On/Off setting is ONLY available in Direct/Pure Direct mode.

It is actually also available in Stereo surround mode. The footnote is saying that the setting is available when the Direct/Pure Direct surround mode is selected AND the LFE+MAIN setting is enabled (which makes because if LFE+MAIN is not enabled then there is no SW in Direct modes). Not that it is exclusively availabe in Direct/Pure Direct modes.

So the question AIUI is, IF you are using Stereo surround mode, with mains set to small, and you use this setting to turn the SW off, will the mains revert to full range or will they retain the Xover setting and the content intended for the SW is just lost?

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 10-22-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
So the question AIUI is, IF you are using Stereo surround mode, with mains set to small, and you use this setting to turn the SW off, will the mains revert to full range or will they retain the Xover setting and the content intended for the SW is just lost?
That's absolutely correct. I am not listening in pure direct or direct mode - I am in stereo mode. The reason why I want to experiment with switching the sub off is because I still want audyssey engaged (ie music sounds better to me in stereo with audyssey vs direct/pure direct).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ultramic; 10-22-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That's absolutely correct. I am not listening in pure direct or direct mode - I am in stereo mode. The reason why I want to experiment with switching the sub off is because I still want audyssey engaged (ie music sounds better to me in stereo with audyssey vs direct/pure direct).

It should be fairly easy to test by temporarily setting an extremely high crossover (e.g. 250Hz) and then toggling the sub on/off with bass heavy music.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 10-22-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
If you are in 2-channel stereo mode and the mains are set to small, then the sub is receiving the low frequency signals.
That's exactly my question - by switching the subwoofer off under this scenario is the crossover still active and the sub frequencies are "lost" or the unit is smart enough to send the full signal to the mains ?

Old 10-22-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That's exactly my question - by switching the subwoofer off under this scenario is the crossover still active and the sub frequencies are "lost" or the unit is smart enough to send the full signal to the mains ?

So you think the avr creates content for the sub channel from 2.0 source material, then when you turn the sub off it still would be actively using the crossover? Hmm, never would occur to me they would set it up that way. I just tried some music in stereo mode with good bass content and with sub on and off the bass is pretty obviously still there in the L/R when off.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So you think the avr creates content for the sub channel from 2.0 source material, then when you turn the sub off it still would be actively using the crossover? Hmm, never would occur to me they would set it up that way. I just tried some music in stereo mode with good bass content and with sub on and off the bass is pretty obviously still there in the L/R when off.
Again, just to be clear, we are specifically talking ONLY about the "Subwoofer On/Off" setting in the Audio/Surround Parameter menu that appears only when in 2ch listening modes (Stereo, and Direct/Pure Direct when LFE+MAIN is set). Not going into Speaker Config and setting the SW off completely, which will reset the mains to "large" automatically.

I'm only speculating because I've not tested to know exactly how it behaves.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 10-22-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Again, just to be clear, we are specifically talking ONLY about the "Subwoofer On/Off" setting in the Audio/Surround Parameter menu that appears only when in 2ch listening modes (Stereo, and Direct/Pure Direct when LFE+MAIN is set). Not going into Speaker Config and setting the SW off completely, which will reset the mains to "large" automatically.

I just tested stereo and using the remote to flip on/off the subwoofer from the audio menu, not the direct/pure modes altho I did compare to those briefly (but not with LFE+Main....have never had any interest in that setting).
Old 10-22-2015, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:

I just tested stereo and using the remote to flip on/off the subwoofer from the audio menu, not the direct/pure modes altho I did compare to those briefly (but not with LFE+Main....have never had any interest in that setting).
And the results were....... ?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And the results were....... ?
Quote:
Or were you looking for something else?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry yeah I temporarily forgot the context of your prior post.

What crossover are you using? Did you try raising it to 250Hz when testing just to be sure?

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sorry yeah I temporarily forgot the context of your prior post.

What crossover are you using? Did you try raising it to 250Hz when testing just to be sure?
Didn't raise to 250 crossover, currently at 110. Will try that later after the movie.....
Old 10-22-2015, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@batpig Yes same results with crossover at 250, clearly the LR are getting a full signal with the sub off. Tested with a few different Marcus Miller cuts as well as a 40hz test tone to be sure
Old 10-22-2015, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@batpig Yes same results with crossover at 250, clearly the LR are getting a full signal with the sub off in stereo mode. Tested with a few different Marcus Miller cuts as well as a 40hz test tone to be sure
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well that settles it then thanks!
Old 10-24-2015, 04:05 AM

Liked: 13
I am running out of inputs and will purchase the new Apple TV soon. I have a Sony HD player on MEDIA now and since it doesn't need video, I'm wondering if I can switch it to PHONO and then use MEDIA for the Apple. I can't find in the manual if phono is different than for instance CD with the MM cartridge. I'm guessing it is different and I can't use it.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:23 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxtn View Post
I am running out of inputs and will purchase the new Apple TV soon. I have a Sony HD player on MEDIA now and since it doesn't need video, I'm wondering if I can switch it to PHONO and then use MEDIA for the Apple. I can't find in the manual if phono is different than for instance CD with the MM cartridge. I'm guessing it is different and I can't use it.
The phono input can only be used for a turntable with a high output (typically MM) cartridge, and possibly for some MC cartridges (but most will have output levels that are too low). What is a "Sony HD player"? Depending on just exactly what it is, there might be options that could work.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked: 2213
Quote:
I wish I had more "we like it loud" friends sometimes just so I can share my freedom on the volume level Hopefully you're tweaking, not tweeking.....

After doing a bunch of setting tweaks, inspired by some of the Cedia audio demos, I decided to break out the Radio Shack SPL meter. With the new Mad Max Blu Ray sound track, and the 4520 set at 75, I'm getting 80db with 110db+ peaks. No wonder my wife says it's loud ! With 11 channels of Martin Logan speakers and twin SVS cylinder subs, this is one great sounding room shaking sound track ! Got my " we like it loud " friends coming over tomorrow...................
lovinthehd and Matt2026 like this.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
Old 10-24-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1890
That was a great movie, Rythmiks kicked me in the chest a few times.
Craig Peer likes this.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:55 AM

Liked: 13
Inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The phono input can only be used for a turntable with a high output (typically MM) cartridge, and possibly for some MC cartridges (but most will have output levels that are too low). What is a "Sony HD player"? Depending on just exactly what it is, there might be options that could work.
The Sony is a high def player and is only analog output. I thought I was out of inputs--but just realized I'm not using DVD. So I'm OK afterall. The reason I was curious about phono is the Denon manual says if you have a MC cartridge, then you need a phono amp....which can be used w/ any audio input. An MM doesn't need it

Last edited by knoxtn; 10-25-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:07 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxtn View Post
The Sony is a high def player and is only analog output. I thought I was out of inputs--but just realized I'm not using DVD. So I'm OK afterall. The reason I was curious about phono is the Denon manual says if you have a MC cartridge, then you need a phono amp....which can be used w/ any audio input. An MM doesn't need it
MC cartridges usually have even lower output than MM cartridges do, so those would need an additional preamp stage to be used on the phono input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver