The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 445 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 854Likes

Old 05-13-2016, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
What brand do you see doing better in this regard? Was yours new or refurb?
Mine was a floor model from Best Buy.
My friend bought a new from that famous refurb store and he ended up returning it.
I am hearing good things about Marantz/Anthem/Emotiva around the same mid range pricing.

What have others bought who switched?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2016, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
Mine was a floor model from Best Buy.
My friend bought a new from that famous refurb store and he ended up returning it.
I am hearing good things about Marantz/Anthem/Emotiva around the same mid range pricing.

What are you looking for, some sort of house curve built into a particular unit? I have no issues with my 4520 but am not looking for some sort of house curve, prefer to apply my own. Marantz units are almost mirror images of Denon units these days....except for the apparently magical HDAM circuits but not convinced myself. I hear good things about silly cables and lots of audiophoolery but don't take it seriously...
Old 05-13-2016, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
What brand do you see doing better in this regard?
Yamaha would be my opinion

I have done a few resets on my 4520 and at least one on the 8801

on the myriad of Yamahas I owned...never had to do that

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio M50A2R Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC87 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Yamaha A2040 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Old 05-13-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
Yamaha would be my opinion

I have done a few resets on my 4520 and at least one on the 8801

on the myriad of Yamahas I owned...never had to do that

Warren
Other than resets what are your perceived differences in use? Why did you need to reset the D+M units rather than the Yamaha units? Your usual complaint is whether they're of asian origin...

Last edited by lovinthehd; 05-13-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
I have owned three Yammies, four Denons and an Onk... one floor model and two refurbs, others all new, and all are still working but were replaced for newer models with updated features. Each line has its quirks, though I find Denon to be more straightforward in their operation than the other two brands.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk Rti12's, Csi5, Rti8 surrounds, some Klipsch subs... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
Old 05-14-2016, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Other than resets what are your perceived differences in use? Why did you need to reset the D+M units rather than the Yamaha units? Your usual complaint is whether they're of asian origin...
My usual complaint is whether they're of asian origin?

I have no idea what that means...I know the origin of every receiver I have purchased in the last 20 years

Other than the resets.....which I think are not a small deal because
1. Its a royal pain to have redo your settings again
2. Concerns me in regard to long term durability

I have had far less trouble with yamaha units over the years than D&M
A few of the yamaha's I have owned in recent years...Z7, A3000, A2000, A2010, A2040
The Z7 required some warranty work.....all the others were solid

Of the D&M products....4310 was a royal POS and used to clip and shut down trying to run speakers and levels that the Onkyo 875 I had at the time would handle
Glad I got that one on clearance ..IMO.. a very overpriced unit and I sold it on Ebay
The 4308 was a good unit and I thought better build quality than the 4310...however after 3 times in the shop for "freakish" issues Denon bought it back and gave me a full refund after owning it about a year

The 4520 has good performance...I just have had some issues where it is unresponsive and needed a hard reset to get it going again
Its also had some shop time for warranty work

The 8801 pre/pro has also needed a hard reset to get going again
The previous Onkyo pre/pros and Kinergentics units that preceed the 8801 never needed to be reset
Though the Onkyo 5508 did need a new HDMI board and IDE cable..and then Onkyo gave a me a new 5509 to replace it after it looked like the HDMI board was going again
I bought the 8801 and sold the 5509 without even opening the box

Also had an Denon X4100 recently for about 30 days....not impressed with the build quality and I question how they could put a $1499 MSRP on that...and in no way would I have paid the street price of $900 that the unit was for a long while

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio M50A2R Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC87 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Yamaha A2040 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Old 05-14-2016, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
I have owned three Yammies, four Denons and an Onk... one floor model and two refurbs, others all new, and all are still working but were replaced for newer models with updated features. Each line has its quirks, though I find Denon to be more straightforward in their operation than the other two brands.
For AVRs, previous to the 4520 I owned 3 Onkyos dating back to about 2006. Although I appreciated the bang for buck level that Onkyo delivers, I found myself unhappy with their approach to Audyssey, some of their operation decisions and such. I had owned consecutively two Denons previous to 2006, and took the plunge back to Denon.

I haven't regretted it for second. The level of refinement, feature implementation and performance is clearly superior to Onkyo. After 1 1/2 years, the 4520 has been flawless.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone ever heard of a 4520 doing the following or what it could be:

List of random issues:
1. No sound out of some of the speakers when playing multi channel stereo (pandora for example)

2. Buzz/fuss sound coming out of a speaker when nothing is playing
3. Worst was the other day I was playing music and as I turned it down it would go quiet and then randomly loud and at one point it turned it all the way up and was insanely loud.
4. After the weird volume problem I got it down to 0 volume and a loud buzz/hum started playing out of my subwoofers.

The machine has gone completely nuts. I tried a hard reset some time ago but it intermittently just does weird stuff - completely unstable.

It's been into service twice for a different issue (fixed on 2nd sending in) and I hate to send it in when an intermittent problem as it seems to always come back with everything is fine and I am stuck paying shipping.

***sigh just noticed - I am about 3.5 weeks passed my warranty - of course

JJ

Last edited by jjslegacy; 05-19-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslegacy View Post

List of random issues:
1. No sound out of some of the speakers when playing multi channel stereo (pandora for example)

3. Worst was the other day I was playing music and as I turned it down it would go quiet and then randomly loud and at one point it turned it all the way up and was insanely loud.
4. After the weird volume problem I got it down to 0 volume and a loud buzz/hum started playing out of my subwoofers.

The machine has gone completely nuts. I tried a hard reset some time ago but it intermittently just does weird stuff - completely unstable.

It's been into service twice for a different issue (fixed on 2nd sending in) and I hate to send it in when an intermittent problem as it seems to always come back with everything is fine and I am stuck paying shipping.

1. While I never use multi-ch stereo, I've not had the no sound from one/some speakers while playing anything multi-ch.

2. Some hiss may be normal depending on your speakers and where you have the volume dial to hear the noise; a bit of hiss up close to your speaker isn't unusual generally. Is this for a particular input?

3. Sounds like what one of my failed refurbs did before I returned it. (had two refurbs before I ended up with a new unit which has been fine).

4. Strange for a hum to start at that point...check your connections? Is it a ground loop issue (can you alleviate it by lifting the ground)?

You might double check to see if your credit card extends the warranty? Sorry to hear and good luck in getting it fixed!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
1. While I never use multi-ch stereo, I've not had the no sound from one/some speakers while playing anything multi-ch.

2. Some hiss may be normal depending on your speakers and where you have the volume dial to hear the noise; a bit of hiss up close to your speaker isn't unusual generally. Is this for a particular input?

3. Sounds like what one of my failed refurbs did before I returned it. (had two refurbs before I ended up with a new unit which has been fine).

4. Strange for a hum to start at that point...check your connections? Is it a ground loop issue (can you alleviate it by lifting the ground)?

You might double check to see if your credit card extends the warranty? Sorry to hear and good luck in getting it fixed!

2. Has never happened before - it's dead silent in the theater - has just happened randomly out of one side speaker a few times
3. That one was brand new the other day - completely nuts and I think I still have a headache - multi channel music blasting out of 7 speakers and subs was quite an experience lol
4. The one only happened after the volume went crazy - was a loud "noise" coming through the sub and everything else was silent

I think I may be in luck with the credit card i'll have to see if they started it back when I bought it as I seem to remember it being a newly added feature.

Thanks for the help!

JJ
Old 05-19-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
2. Has never happened before - it's dead silent in the theater - has just happened randomly out of one side speaker a few times
3. That one was brand new the other day - completely nuts and I think I still have a headache - multi channel music blasting out of 7 speakers and subs was quite an experience lol
4. The one only happened after the volume went crazy - was a loud "noise" coming through the sub and everything else was silent

I think I may be in luck with the credit card i'll have to see if they started it back when I bought it as I seem to remember it being a newly added feature.

Thanks for the help!
That wild volume thing is downright scary, my first thought was "MY SPEAKERS!" which fortunately weathered it just fine....but if you've done a couple hard resets time for the repair center again!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11024 Post(s)
Liked: 5099
Quote:

List of random issues:

Give Denon a call as they have been know to extend the warranty up to 45 days so may still cover it.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:30 AM

Clearly I need to call - I created a support ticket on their website and the response I go back was a link to this:

https://www.audioholics.com/home-the...m-hum-and-buzz
and closed the ticket

Completely worthless and I am quite sure they didn't read anything I posted.

JJ

Last edited by jjslegacy; 05-19-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
AIRPLAY No Longer Available

Problem: No Airplay from my 4520. Used to work as expected.

Background: My 4520 has been flawless, with Airplay working just the way it is supposed to. I usually play music from iTunes on my computer which is hardwired to the router, and then hardwired from the router to the 4520. When iTunes was opened, the blue Airplay icon would show up at the top of the screen. Selecting the Airplay Speakers would turn on the receiver even if were in standby. My iPhone would reliably have the option to use the Airplay speakers. Life was good.

I am about to purchase a new TV and the old TV was removed from the wall with it's connection (HDMI) to the AVR, as well as the AVR stand.. Everything else is now sitting on the floor, connected as it has been in the past when Airplay worked.

I installed a new version (12.4.0.119) of iTunes a couple of days ago to my desktop and that's when I noticed the problem. I would think it is at least a possibility that iTunes may have done something to cause Airplay not to work on the desktop when using iTunes, but that would not affect Airplay when using my iPhone. My laptops were not updated to new iTunes version and the Airplay icon still shows up in blue, until music is played and then turns to orange and says that the Airplay Device is not available.

So, where to start? How to troubleshoot? I looked in the user manual, but little help there.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
Problem: No Airplay from my 4520. Used to work as expected.

Background: My 4520 has been flawless, with Airplay working just the way it is supposed to. I usually play music from iTunes on my computer which is hardwired to the router, and then hardwired from the router to the 4520. When iTunes was opened, the blue Airplay icon would show up at the top of the screen. Selecting the Airplay Speakers would turn on the receiver even if were in standby. My iPhone would reliably have the option to use the Airplay speakers. Life was good.

I am about to purchase a new TV and the old TV was removed from the wall with it's connection (HDMI) to the AVR, as well as the AVR stand.. Everything else is now sitting on the floor, connected as it has been in the past when Airplay worked.

I installed a new version (12.4.0.119) of iTunes a couple of days ago to my desktop and that's when I noticed the problem. I would think it is at least a possibility that iTunes may have done something to cause Airplay not to work on the desktop when using iTunes, but that would not affect Airplay when using my iPhone. My laptops were not updated to new iTunes version and the Airplay icon still shows up in blue, until music is played and then turns to orange and says that the Airplay Device is not available.

So, where to start? How to troubleshoot? I looked in the user manual, but little help there.

Refer to post 3 item 11a in the following thread for some helpful tips that may resolve your issue ....

The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2)
Old 05-21-2016, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread

Bought the new Roku streaming stick and when I tried streaming I got dhcp error code. That's odd....any ideas? I used the front hdmi port. I could see menu and home screen from Roku, but when I started to stream screen went dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is what you make it.......
Old 05-21-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post
Bought the new Roku streaming stick and when I tried streaming I got dhcp error code. That's odd....any ideas? I used the front hdmi port. I could see menu and home screen from Roku, but when I started to stream screen went dark.

That would be a "HDCP" error which is apparently common with the Roku sticks. Try unplugging the power to the Roku for at least 15 seconds and then plug in an try again. This time power on the TV first, then AVR, then lastly the Roku. If still no joy, try replacing the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV with a more current possibly better quality HDMI cable.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-22-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try, I can't replace cable because it's stick. I went to the output of my Oppo and it worked and that's connected to my 4520.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try, I can't replace cable because it's stick. I went to the output of my Oppo and it worked and that's connected to my 4520.

Replace the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:56 PM

It's a monster cable that I have from the days I thought cables made the difference.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the help!

I fixed mine by opening it up and reseating everything that I could find, especially the edge connectors on the daughter card with all of the HDMI connectors on it. There are several edge connectors to that board which seem to have been responsible for many weird faults. Mine was doing the exact things that you mention. If you go back in the thread there are several posts covering this procedure, including photos and some commentary on why this works.

The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread

Of course, you will be better if you can get warranty coverage. BUT, I had mine in twice and they never found the problem... or even could recreate it. I think it getting bounced around in transit to the warranty center may have temporarily fixed it.

By the time it started acting up again, it was well out of warranty. I figured that I had nothing to lose, so I went for it. That was at least 8 months ago. No problems since. It may be worth a try in your case as well.

BTW, I did go back after my exchange with doognam and reseat the three connectors on the front edge of the HDMI board.. after treating them with Deoxit.
lovinthehd likes this.

Last edited by ppasteur; 05-21-2016 at 05:19 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 05-21-2016, 11:42 PM

Has anyone replaced the power cord on there 4520 with higher quality one such as Audioquest cable and if so what has been your experience. I'm looking to clean up the back of my AV cabinet and was thinking of getting shorter cable and upgrading while was at it.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Has anyone replaced the power cord on there 4520 with higher quality one such as Audioquest cable and if so what has been your experience. I'm looking to clean up the back of my AV cabinet and was thinking of getting shorter cable and upgrading while was at it.

What makes Audioquest higher quality? How does one upgrade a power cable? Just get a shorter one....
Old 05-22-2016, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Quote:
..thinking of getting shorter cable and upgrading while was at it.
Take a look at the ones from monoprice.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Refer to post 3 item 11a in the following thread for some helpful tips that may resolve your issue ....

The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2)
I started working on that and realized I had a more substantial problem; although it looks like the unit works - turns on, indicator lights on front panel tell you what the input is, etc, there is NO OUTPUT from the AVR. No sound, no picture passed to the TV screen, NADA. Press the setup button and nothing happens. I did the processor and network resets, no difference. I've tried inputs from the blu-ray player, Dish player, receiver, etc and not even static is output to the speakers. Doesn't recognize the network it's hardwired to.

Do we throw the receiver on the scrap heap or is there something else to try?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Hi Ron Nielson, guess you could try lifting the receiver corner by a slight amount and drop it.
Matt2026 likes this.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Ron Nielson, guess you could try lifting the receiver corner by a slight amount and drop it.
So you are thinking that maybe a cable or a card would then firmly seat and the unit would again work?
Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
So you are thinking that maybe a cable or a card would then firmly seat and the unit would again work?
Or relay(s) failure, mechanism may become stuck.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I started working on that and realized I had a more substantial problem; although it looks like the unit works - turns on, indicator lights on front panel tell you what the input is, etc, there is NO OUTPUT from the AVR. No sound, no picture passed to the TV screen, NADA. Press the setup button and nothing happens. I did the processor and network resets, no difference. I've tried inputs from the blu-ray player, Dish player, receiver, etc and not even static is output to the speakers. Doesn't recognize the network it's hardwired to.

Did you try doing a series of resets ... at least 4 or 5 in a row? If yes and still no joy, the 4520CI comes with a 3 year warranty if purchased new and if out of warranty, your credit card may add an additional 4th year which would likely cover warranty repair.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Did you try doing a series of resets ... at least 4 or 5 in a row? If yes and still no joy, the 4520CI comes with a 3 year warranty if purchased new and if out of warranty, your credit card may add an additional 4th year which would likely cover warranty repair.
I did 2 resets, will do several more before I give up and send it for repair. I found my receipt and the unit was purchased new in 01/2015 from Amazon/Adorama so warranty should cover the repair.

Funny thing is, we left our Kansas house for the winter and went to our Arizona house. The Kansas house was vacant for about 6 months and the entire HT system was unplugged from electrical outlets. Now, there was a connection to the Dish Network box and cable, but the DN box elect power was disconnected. And there was a physical connection to the router. The modem had to be replaced upon our return but router itself is fine. The modem worked fine prior to leaving; dead as a doornail upon return. And it had no electrical power either while we were gone. I'm thinking electrical gremlins were at work while we weren't in Kansas.

I appreciate your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver