The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 447 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 824Likes

post #13381 of 13393 Old 07-05-2016, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Having some sound issues on my system. I have the 4520CI outputting to a JVC RS-57 PJ. Have issue (possibly different issues) with both BDP (Oppo-103) and Media Player (Dune Base 3D), but don't seem to ever have it with DirecTV HR21 or AppleTV (though AppleTV is rarely used).

OK, what is going on? Lets start with the Oppo-103 -- when I power up the system I generally get picture fine, but no sound when powering up from the Blu-Ray input. This is resolved by cycling power on the Oppo. I suspect (if someone can confirm) a HDMI handshake issue. I power up with projector 1st, 4520 2nd, and Oppo last. The projector I suspect is taking a really long time to power up. This only seems to happen with the Oppo on initial powerup of the system where the projector has to power up.

I can try putting longer delays between components in the power up sequence - have URC MX-890 so it is really flexible in how it can be programmed. Anyone think this would help? I would have to reinstall the CPP software (new laptop since last time I had to make changes) - but could be done.

Also with the Oppo-103, it has the MHL version of the Roku stick - and I can be watching a movie (Amazon Prime) and pause the movie. When I come back and hit resume often there is no sound. I suspect this is NOT a handshake issue, and would be posting in the Oppo thread instead of here if the exact same thing didn't happen from time to time with the Media Player input that connects the Dune Base3D source. In both cases this can be recovered by either rew or ff briefly then hitting play again.

Don't have a clue on this problem.

Any ideas appreciated!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13382 of 13393 Old 07-27-2016, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Then insist on their current flagship receiver and don't take no for an answer! Altho a 6200 would be almost as nice....
NO JOY, but not for the reasons you would expect.

Repair people asked for a main board and Denon said they didn't have any,would have to furnish a new unit. So repair service issued a DMA request, but Denon declined that saying they did have main boards. Main board received by repair shop,and sound was restored but found that the Network card was bad. 2 more weeks to get the network card, few days to install and now my 4520 is on its way back to me.

I got pretty excited when I thought I'd likely get an X7200!! But I'll make do with the 4520. Been a long time without good music.
post #13383 of 13393 Old 07-27-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4218 Post(s)
Liked: 4110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
NO JOY, but not for the reasons you would expect.

Repair people asked for a main board and Denon said they didn't have any,would have to furnish a new unit. So repair service issued a DMA request, but Denon declined that saying they did have main boards. Main board received by repair shop,and sound was restored but found that the Network card was bad. 2 more weeks to get the network card, few days to install and now my 4520 is on its way back to me.

I got pretty excited when I thought I'd likely get an X7200!! But I'll make do with the 4520. Been a long time without good music.
Dang.....not that the 4520 is any slouch...
post #13384 of 13393 Old 07-27-2016, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 24
4520 is a real slouch. It seems mine is on the fritz again, having to listen at -10 vs -20 in the past. Not much else has changed so how do i test if I am having issues or if it is the material.
What SLP should playing at -20 show vs -10. Thanks.
post #13385 of 13393 Old 07-27-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3740 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Well, if you play a -30dBfs test tone at 0MV, it should be 75dB. The Disney WOW disc is a good source for test tones, but they are at -20dBfs.

Or, if you are listening at -10MV, the average dialogue should be around 85dB...however, that is very hard to determine because movies can vary in dialogue level.
post #13386 of 13393 Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
4520 is a real slouch. It seems mine is on the fritz again, having to listen at -10 vs -20 in the past. Not much else has changed so how do i test if I am having issues or if it is the material.
What SLP should playing at -20 show vs -10. Thanks.
Not much to go on but true if your 4520 is on the fritz then it is slouching Not much has changed translates to what exactly in terms of change? Speakers? Different source? What is SLP?
post #13387 of 13393 Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Not much to go on but true if your 4520 is on the fritz then it is slouching Not much has changed translates to what exactly in terms of change? Speakers? Different source? What is SLP?
The only change is the Dish Network Hopper but even Apple TV is not as loud as I recall it being for the same material so something is definitely not correct. Nothing else has changed Speakers or Sub they are the same as a year ago.
post #13388 of 13393 Old 07-27-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
The only change is the Dish Network Hopper but even Apple TV is not as loud as I recall it being for the same material so something is definitely not correct. Nothing else has changed Speakers or Sub they are the same as a year ago.
Sonic memory can fool ya. 10dB is pretty significant but without a measurement before and after, hard to know....

You can raise input level in the setup menu - inputs - source level. Anyone else in the house have access to settings? Might check them....
post #13389 of 13393 Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Love this receiver so much but I am really bummed out I may have to sell it. After having owned it six months, I turned it on one night and no picture out of hdmi out 1. There was a storm the night before so i concluded a lightning strike took it out. Had it repaired at a local shop and got it back 2 months ago. I bought a nice APC UPS to protect it and hooked up everything into the UPS including the coax in my setup. Sunday i was watching netflix and out of nowhere a lightning storm rolled in, I ran upstairs to close the windows and when I returned the picture was black. Now none of the HDMI outputs work. I have a fire tv, roku, steam link, ps3 all hooked up to the receiver and "on" when this happened, and nothing else was damaged. I have a Yamaha RX-V867 that was hooked up in the same setup for well over a year and never had any issues connected only to a plain surge strip. The yamaha was also on upstairs during the storm and its fine. This is either a giant coincidence and the hdmi board just happen to go bad again or this receivers hdmi boards are far more sensitive than any other electronic in my whole house. I have 2 years left on the warranty but no longer have any confidence in this electronic, any time i hear lightning strike my blood pressure is going to skyrocket. Overall just really frustrated.
post #13390 of 13393 Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRosenHouse View Post
Love this receiver so much but I am really bummed out I may have to sell it. After having owned it six months, I turned it on one night and no picture out of hdmi out 1. There was a storm the night before so i concluded a lightning strike took it out. Had it repaired at a local shop and got it back 2 months ago. I bought a nice APC UPS to protect it and hooked up everything into the UPS including the coax in my setup. Sunday i was watching netflix and out of nowhere a lightning storm rolled in, I ran upstairs to close the windows and when I returned the picture was black. Now none of the HDMI outputs work. I have a fire tv, roku, steam link, ps3 all hooked up to the receiver and "on" when this happened, and nothing else was damaged. I have a Yamaha RX-V867 that was hooked up in the same setup for well over a year and never had any issues connected only to a plain surge strip. The yamaha was also on upstairs during the storm and its fine. This is either a giant coincidence and the hdmi board just happen to go bad again or this receivers hdmi boards are far more sensitive than any other electronic in my whole house. I have 2 years left on the warranty but no longer have any confidence in this electronic, any time i hear lightning strike my blood pressure is going to skyrocket. Overall just really frustrated.
Was your Yamaha sharing all the same connections to sources? HDMI is not even close to adequate when it comes to electrical problems it seems....
post #13391 of 13393 Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Not surprised to see a lot of others having problems with their 4520s. I'm on my fourth one which is less than a year old and now no sound. Sometimes the sound will come on, then I'll hear a click and nothing. Changing sources doesn't do anything and hard or soft resets don't do anything either.

The only reason I have a 4520 is because my 4311 crapped out and they sent me this. I thought I was getting an upgrade, but it's been nothing but hell. Has Denon just gone down the crapper and only produces junk now? I never had any problems with previous Onkyos that I had.

I guess I need to start reading up on receivers since its been a long time since I've looked at anything. I don't think Onkyo uses Audyssey anymore do they? What's comparable to Audyssey XT32 that's out there? Anyone have a recommendation? I need something that will do at least 9.2.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #13392 of 13393 Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post
Not surprised to see a lot of others having problems with their 4520s. I'm on my fourth one which is less than a year old and now no sound. Sometimes the sound will come on, then I'll hear a click and nothing. Changing sources doesn't do anything and hard or soft resets don't do anything either.

The only reason I have a 4520 is because my 4311 crapped out and they sent me this. I thought I was getting an upgrade, but it's been nothing but hell. Has Denon just gone down the crapper and only produces junk now? I never had any problems with previous Onkyos that I had.

I guess I need to start reading up on receivers since its been a long time since I've looked at anything. I don't think Onkyo uses Audyssey anymore do they? What's comparable to Audyssey XT32 that's out there? Anyone have a recommendation? I need something that will do at least 9.2.
Interesting-I'm In exactly the same situation - had the 4311 that got zapped by a surge following a lightning strike. Received a 4520 replacement when Denon could no longer replace the hdmi board, my 4311 had about 3 months of warranty coverage remaining - first 4520 was not functional, 2nd worked fine for about 2 years - but is now entering non functional status - network board crapped out, and now random audio drops are occurring with increasing frequency. Will probably replace with a Denon 6200. Just a reminder, that, as electronics become more sophisticated, and are asked to do so much more, their lifespan becomes more finite - both as a functioning piece of gear, as well as having to keep up with the accelerating pace of technological advances - HDMI 2.0 +, 4K, streaming, Atmos - the beat goes on.
Back to your original question regarding 9.2 or > + room correction, mini dap offers a number of Dirac Live options that can be paired with amps and/or avr's, but I think for now I'll stick with a Denon upgrade. Good luck with your replacement quest!!!

post #13393 of 13393 Old Today, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3740 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Over 20 months with my 4520 without issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page