The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 449 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 842Likes

post #13441 of 13445 Old 09-16-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked: 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for your answers, batpig and lovinthehd.

What would I lose, in practical terms, by going from the AL32 processing in the 4520 to the AL24 processing in the 4200? I listen to multichannel, hi-res music fairly often, but I'm not really an audiophile. I had a 4310 before my 4520, and the biggest difference I perceived was the XT32 and SUB EQ HT.
Hate to break it to you but just having this kind of gear makes you an audiophile (it's not a skill, it's enthusiasm for hi-fidelity sound reproduction). I didn't even know I had AL32 processing until I looked it up just now. You had AL24 processing in the 4310 so you're in a better position to say if it matters....as an audiophile.
RobLee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13442 of 13445 Old 09-16-2016, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3404 Post(s)
Liked: 3243
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for your answers, batpig and lovinthehd.

What would I lose, in practical terms, by going from the AL32 processing in the 4520 to the AL24 processing in the 4200? I listen to multichannel, hi-res music fairly often, but I'm not really an audiophile. I had a 4310 before my 4520, and the biggest difference I perceived was the XT32 and SUB EQ HT.
It's really hard to say. But, theoretically, the 4520 is built with higher quality components and should have slightly better "raw" sound quality than the 4200. How much of that "slight" quality you can actually hear in your room, with your ears, and your speakers, after you apply room correction and other processing to the signal, is really hard to know.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #13443 of 13445 Old 09-16-2016, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3404 Post(s)
Liked: 3243
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
Hi all

Quick question re 4K in the 4520.
Now, I have a Cambridge audio 752bd which upscales to 4K, but I have no device which plays native 4K discs (and probably wont for a while). I'm looking to upgrade my old Panasonic PT-200E (720P) projector to either a Epson 6030 or the new 6040 (1080P vrs 4K).

Now, if I understand this right the 4520 would pass the upscaled 4k to the proj, but it would never pass the 4k from a full blu ray 4k player even if I got one?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if going to a 4K projector is worthwhile for me. I want to get 3D and full HD etc at least for now.

Thanks
You are correct in that the 4520 will pass through a non-protected 4k signal (e.g. a 1080p Blu-ray upscaled to 4k rez by the player). It will not pass through native 4k (like UHD BD or streaming from Netflix) which will be copy protected and require HDCP 2.2.

The resolution of the display doesn't really matter, since that's just the endpoint. The key is whether the SOURCE is "legal" to pass through the receiver.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #13444 of 13445 Old 09-16-2016, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Hate to break it to you but just having this kind of gear makes you an audiophile (it's not a skill, it's enthusiasm for hi-fidelity sound reproduction). I didn't even know I had AL32 processing until I looked it up just now. You had AL24 processing in the 4310 so you're in a better position to say if it matters....as an audiophile.
Ha! I thought audiophiles were those people who use tube amps and directional cables and look down on multichannel and room correction software. I'm glad the category has broadened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It's really hard to say. But, theoretically, the 4520 is built with higher quality components and should have slightly better "raw" sound quality than the 4200. How much of that "slight" quality you can actually hear in your room, with your ears, and your speakers, after you apply room correction and other processing to the signal, is really hard to know.
That's what I figured. It's funny, but one of the reasons I bought the 4520 on closeout a couple of years ago was a review from someone who praised the unit for how much Audyssey improved its sound. He implied its "raw" sound left something to be desired. I've used and enjoyed Audyssey for years, so I never listen to anything without it, except for the occasional LP.

I guess I don't really "need" a receiver with 4K yada yada, but the price on the 4200 is sure tempting.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #13445 of 13445 Old 09-16-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked: 4444
Quote:
Ha! I thought audiophiles were those people who use tube amps and directional cables and look down on multichannel and room correction software. I'm glad the category has broadened.

That's what I figured. It's funny, but one of the reasons I bought the 4520 on closeout a couple of years ago was a review from someone who praised the unit for how much Audyssey improved its sound. He implied its "raw" sound left something to be desired. I've used and enjoyed Audyssey for years, so I never listen to anything without it, except for the occasional LP.

I guess I don't really "need" a receiver with 4K yada yada, but the price on the 4200 is sure tempting.
Directional cables are for audiophools.... People who think 2ch is the whole enchilada....I have no use for their opinions generally but sometimes think more than 2 things to hook up simply confuses them (where directional cables come in I suppose LOL).

I do like what XT32 does but no use for 4k or ceiling speakers so the 4520 works well for me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread