The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 455 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 870Likes

post #13621 of 13643 Old 05-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007james View Post
This is my third and most likely my last Denon receiver. I had it in to denon service for 45 days and they said they could not fine a problem. I can no longer even run Audyssey. The sound was great but it would just stop working for no reason at all and still passing video, resets no longer even work. Does Denon use mechanical switching relay for the amps? I ask that because sometimes all i hear is the sound (clicking) of what appears to be relays rapidly switching on and off. I'm going to try and contact demon tomorrow but I'm pretty sure my warranty days are over. I may have to find another vendor who offers audyssey. Disappointing that Denon won't even offer a discount towards an upgrade. I'm just venting before i call tomorrow...... Wish me luck

Perhaps you don't want to mess with it, and I agree that you shouldn't have to.. But if you go back in the thread a ways... a good ways you will find some detailed discussion on what may be causing your problems.
I had the same sort of problem with a refurb that I bought, including the clicking relays. I found that if I gave it a good hit on the left side it would clear up temporarily. I also brought it in (to a local authorized service center) and after 4 weeks was told that they could find no problems.

What you are looking for is a discussion about reseating the connectors, especially the ones to the HDMI card. One of the members told us about all of the different problems that the connectors cause and even provided photos showing the specific connectors to reseat.

If you search for my name in the thread, I have brought this ups a few times and even linked the previous posts. I just don't have time now to go back and do that again. It shouldn't be hard to find with an "author: search.

I did this to my refurb and it fixed all of the problems that I was having. The unit is still fully functional.

BTW, I bought one new around 3.5 years ago. It is used on the order of 20 to 25 hours per week. It has been flawless. I has been sitting in one place with no moves and is forced air cooled... for what that is worth.
Matt2026 likes this.

Last edited by ppasteur; 05-08-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13622 of 13643 Old 05-09-2017, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
Perhaps you don't want to mess with it, and I agree that you shouldn't have to.. But if you go back in the thread a ways... a good ways you will find some detailed discussion on what may be causing your problems.
I had the same sort of problem with a refurb that I bought, including the clicking relays. I found that if I gave it a good hit on the left side it would clear up temporarily. I also brought it in (to a local authorized service center) and after 4 weeks was told that they could find no problems.

What you are looking for is a discussion about reseating the connectors, especially the ones to the HDMI card. One of the members told us about all of the different problems that the connectors cause and even provided photos showing the specific connectors to reseat.

If you search for my name in the thread, I have brought this ups a few times and even linked the previous posts. I just don't have time now to go back and do that again. It shouldn't be hard to find with an "author: search.

I did this to my refurb and it fixed all of the problems that I was having. The unit is still fully functional.

BTW, I bought one new around 3.5 years ago. It is used on the order of 20 to 25 hours per week. It has been flawless. I has been sitting in one place with no moves and is forced air cooled... for what that is worth.
I bought mine new almost 3 years ago on clearance. Most of the time, it is just light TV watching, but the occasional movie, and recently, a lot of loud music playing. I just bought a quiet fan to place on top, that will hopefully keep it happy, it certainly won't hurt it any. Since I don't plan to upgrade to Atmos or all the new fancy 4k stuff, I plan to keep it a very long time. I have had to unplug it once, other than that, it's been flawless, just like my older Denon 2807, still in use upstairs.
mtbdudex likes this.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RP and Reference II mish mash
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
TiVo Roamio, sometimes buzzy Samsung Plasma
post #13623 of 13643 Old 05-10-2017, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post

Well Denon has offered me a credit for my troubles,not sure how much it will and whether they will want the receiver returned. In the meantime, I lied, I purchased AVR-X4300H, I hope i have better luck with this one. I've owned 2 previous Denons and they wee fine. I remember reading about the HDMI connectors when I first had trouble 2 years back, maybe i'll give that a shot but the trouble now is that when the unit is powered on, i get a loud noise and the fans go full speed, it may be too late. Thanks for the replies and i'll update all here

post #13624 of 13643 Old 05-11-2017, 09:35 PM

Where's the best place to place an external fan, and should it be blowing in or exhausting out?
Thanks.

Denon AVR-4520CI
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
post #13625 of 13643 Old 05-11-2017, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 318 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13400 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Where's the best place to place an external fan, and should it be blowing in or exhausting out?
Thanks.
The fan should be exhausting air away from the top of the electronic. If a simple fan, it could be placed at the rear of the cabinet or if more sophisticated (eg. Aircom T8), it would be placed on top of the electronic and the warm air would be blown to the rear.

http://www.acinfinity.com/component-...ystem-17-inch/
Matt2026 and drh3b like this.
post #13626 of 13643 Old 05-21-2017, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm getting a new receiver soon and I've been looking at this one along with the newer X4200W. I do have a 4k tv and see the 4520 does not support HDCP 2.2, but I'm drooling over the amp section in this beast.

Would I be better off with a X4200W for more modern connectivity or will the 4520 fit the bill? Are there any workarounds I could use with a 4520 that would allow me to watch DRM protected content? I could live without 4k. I can get a deal on either unit for the same price.
post #13627 of 13643 Old 05-21-2017, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
I'm getting a new receiver soon and I've been looking at this one along with the newer X4200W. I do have a 4k tv and see the 4520 does not support HDCP 2.2, but I'm drooling over the amp section in this beast.

Would I be better off with a X4200W for more modern connectivity or will the 4520 fit the bill? Are there any workarounds I could use with a 4520 that would allow me to watch DRM protected content? I could live without 4k. I can get a deal on either unit for the same price.

I own a 4520ci, and I won't be changing it for 4K because the workarounds are too easy and do not compromise quality at all. The UHD players that have been released so far have dual HDMI outputs (one for audio and one for video). The Oppo UHD players also have an additional HDMI input for external devices like Roku for 4K. Other than that, what other UHD sources are there? From what I can tell, there would be two solid reasons to consider the newer Denon receivers over a recently former flagship: Atmos and the newer audyssey editor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13628 of 13643 Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post
I own a 4520ci, and I won't be changing it for 4K because the workarounds are too easy and do not compromise quality at all. The UHD players that have been released so far have dual HDMI outputs (one for audio and one for video). The Oppo UHD players also have an additional HDMI input for external devices like Roku for 4K. Other than that, what other UHD sources are there? From what I can tell, there would be two solid reasons to consider the newer Denon receivers over a recently former flagship: Atmos and the newer audyssey editor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldn't really care about atmos. The editor sure would be nice, but not really a deal breaker. If I'm reading your post correctly you would suggest the 4520 over the 4200, which is the way I'm currently leaning.

My player is an Xbox 1S with 1 HDMI out and 1 HDMI in. I attached a pic. Like I said, I can live without 4k. I'm more concerned about lack of 2.2 support. That's pretty much the only sticking point I have with the 4520. If there are easy workarounds I'm all for it. My other sources currently are DTV (1 HDMI out) and a retired old laptop for playing music files and whatever else might strike me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170521_081034-1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	2149010  
post #13629 of 13643 Old 05-21-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Couldn't really care about atmos. The editor sure would be nice, but not really a deal breaker. If I'm reading your post correctly you would suggest the 4520 over the 4200, which is the way I'm currently leaning.

My player is an Xbox 1S with 1 HDMI out and 1 HDMI in. I attached a pic. Like I said, I can live without 4k. I'm more concerned about lack of 2.2 support. That's pretty much the only sticking point I have with the 4520. If there are easy workarounds I'm all for it. My other sources currently are DTV (1 HDMI out) and a retired old laptop for playing music files and whatever else might strike me.
Well... I'm not for sure if it would work as easily with an Xbox 1S, if you're wanting the ability to play UHD movies/video games with HDR, because there doesn't seem to be a way to get lossless audio to the receiver in the same way as with other bluray UHD players. The dedicated UHD bluray players all have 2 HDMI outs--one for audio and one for video (that's the part that makes it easy). You'd be sacrificing lossless audio if you go that route. From what I can tell, you'd plug the Xbox directly to the TV and then connect the audio to the receiver via the optical connection.
post #13630 of 13643 Old 05-21-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:

I would get the newer one, because if you end up wanting the newer stuff at some point, it is there. The 25 watt difference in the amp section isn't going to give you noticeably more volume. In other words, if the amp section in the X4200 turns out to not be enough, I doubt the amp section in the 4520 would make the difference. Basically, I don't consider the slightly more powerful amp a good enough reason by itself to get something that is pretty out dated in many ways. The 4520 is the receiver in my HT, but if I was in the market now, I'd probably get the top of the line Marantz at accessories for less.

Denon AVR-4520CI
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
post #13631 of 13643 Old 05-21-2017, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I would get the newer one, because if you end up wanting the newer stuff at some point, it is there. The 25 watt difference in the amp section isn't going to give you noticeably more volume. In other words, if the amp section in the X4200 turns out to not be enough, I doubt the amp section in the 4520 would make the difference. Basically, I don't consider the slightly more powerful amp a good enough reason by itself to get something that is pretty out dated in many ways. The 4520 is the receiver in my HT, but if I was in the market now, I'd probably get the top of the line Marantz at accessories for less.
Agreed. I went from a 4520 to a 6300. The new tech will make connectivity easier...or at least gives you more options.

I was cranky buying the 6300 because I was told the 4520 I upgraded to from my 4311 would have me 4K ready...then the HDCP 2.2 stuff came out and I had to upgrade anyway. Had I known better I would have skipped the 4520 entirely.

Denon 887 -> 888 -> 3310 -> 4311 -> 4520 -> 6300
post #13632 of 13643 Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

My first post here.

Already read through majority of stuff that could "form" my opinion, but some posts are quite old (2014-2015) so I'd appreciate another comment/comparison:

I'm looking for second-hand AVR, and current options are Marantz SR7008 for 700 euros, SR7009 and 4520CI for 800 euros (yes, european prices...).

I don't plan (for now, at least) to go to ATMOS, 5.1 will suffice, as stereo listening is a priority.

I'm thinking mainly between SR7009 and 4520, so I'd appreciate any opinion. One important note is that (HT)PC would not be directly connected to the AVR, the content would be streamed via LAN - I know that 4520 had issues streaming FLAC from Windows media player on PC, which can be solved by installing any more capable server (Serviio or Plex), but which of these 2 AVRs is more user friendly to be controlled via remote control or smartphone app?

Thanks in advance!
post #13633 of 13643 Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fructal View Post
Hi guys,

My first post here.

Already read through majority of stuff that could "form" my opinion, but some posts are quite old (2014-2015) so I'd appreciate another comment/comparison:

I'm looking for second-hand AVR, and current options are Marantz SR7008 for 700 euros, SR7009 and 4520CI for 800 euros (yes, european prices...).

I don't plan (for now, at least) to go to ATMOS, 5.1 will suffice, as stereo listening is a priority.

I'm thinking mainly between SR7009 and 4520, so I'd appreciate any opinion. One important note is that (HT)PC would not be directly connected to the AVR, the content would be streamed via LAN - I know that 4520 had issues streaming FLAC from Windows media player on PC, which can be solved by installing any more capable server (Serviio or Plex), but which of these 2 AVRs is more user friendly to be controlled via remote control or smartphone app?

Thanks in advance!
The Marantz 7009 is newer, and gives you more options down the road, Atmos but not 4k(HDCP2.2) or DTS:X. The power advantage the 4520 has in the amp department is negligible at best. Plus, the Marantz has HDAM circuits that supposedly make the Marantz sound better, don't know if I believe that. But, same price, Marantz 7009 > Denon 4520. I have the Denon, and like it, but given your choices, I'd get the Marantz. But, if you end up with the Denon, that would be great, too. I never had any problem streaming Flac, but I don't have any great experience with it, I have my HTPC hooked up, and use JRIVER to play music.

Denon AVR-4520CI
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203

Last edited by drh3b; Today at 12:17 AM.
post #13634 of 13643 Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Hi guys,

My first post here.

Thanks in advance!
The 4520CI was first released in 2012 and at the time was the "flagship" Denon & Marantz AVR. The flagship models are the only Denon and Marantz models designed to power 4-ohm speakers to reference volume level so it is much more powerful than the SR7009. With no interest in Atmos (which only the SR7009 can offer), the 4520CI would be your best choice for not only power but also audio quality.
post #13635 of 13643 Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Yes, that sums up more or less what I read:

SR7009 PRO - better stereo experience (HDAM), ATMOS support.

4520CI PRO - well based mostly on the amp section, you think there is not too much difference? For the time being I'm targeting vintage front speakers, JBL L80 or B&W Matrix3, which require a decent amp in order to display their full potential. I was wondering if with Denon I could skip a dedicated amp for front speakers...
post #13636 of 13643 Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

Posted at the same time as jdsmoothie, but my post is a reply to drh3b's post.

@jdsm othie: Thanks for the info, I've read different opinions regarding SQ of these two AVRs, some preferring SR7009 for stereo listening, others prefering 4520CI..
That, and the fact that SR7009 was released 1 year later (supposedly with better chips, developed in the meantime) had me wondering which one to choose.
post #13637 of 13643 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Hi guys,

My first post here.

Thanks in advance!

The 4520 is a beast for an AVR. Check out its measurements on Sound and Vision and compare to any other AVR on the market. That's why I chose it, and I'm pretty happy with it. It isn't clear to me that it sounds inferior to any Marantz receiver (even with stereo sound, as it will likely give you better dynamic performance). Given its price on the used market, if you decided to upgrade a couple of years down-the-road, you wouldn't lose all that much in selling it used. That was my thought process at least. If/when I upgrade for something like Dirac or Atmos (or separates), I don't think I'll end up losing all that much on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13638 of 13643 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a 4520 in perfect condition I would be willing to sell if anyone is interested. I'm starting to feel a need to upgrade for no apparent reason. Maybe a tube set.
post #13639 of 13643 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Posted at the same time as jdsmoothie, but my post is a reply to drh3b's post.

@jdsm othie: Thanks for the info, I've read different opinions regarding SQ of these two AVRs, some preferring SR7009 for stereo listening, others prefering 4520CI..
That, and the fact that SR7009 was released 1 year later (supposedly with better chips, developed in the meantime) had me wondering which one to choose.
The SR7009 simply offers better pre-amp chips than the SR7008, nothing more, not to mention it is not a "flagship" model, rather simply the sister model to the Denon X4100W (ie. even the X5200W is a higher level model than the SR7009). The 4520CI is still your better option.
post #13640 of 13643 Old Today, 04:08 AM

Thanks again, JD.

What had me thinking, as I said, are some contrary opinions like the ones on digital trends and whathifi, with the first one being much harsher (cannot post links yet)

On the other hand, homecinemachoice. and avforums describe it as superb, on avforums it's 9/10, highly recommended, same as SR7009.

Anyhow, I've been contemplating other actual deal-breakers in my family:

1. My wife has a thing for (internet) radio, I've just compared them, both support vTuner in order to mark some radio stations as favorites. So it's a draw.

2. Streaming FROM pc/smartphone.
a. I'll be getting Spotify subscription soon so the support for Spotify Connect would be a must-have, in order to stream from pc/smartphone via wifi/LAN. On Marantz's webpage for SR7008 it says only "Spotify", for SR7009 it mentions explicitly "Spotify Connect" (found in another tread here that native Spotify support has been dropped from 2014 models). Would anyone care to elaborate this setup (ease of use etc) as I've never used Spotify on AVR (have a free acc on the PC).

b. Denon supports Airplay to stream music from iTunes on Mac. There are some workarounds on PC in order to make it work (no free ones it seems). Is there a way on any of these 3 AVRs to stream music from PC to AVR - not using AVR's remote control / smartphone app, but directly from the PC which is network-connected?
post #13641 of 13643 Old Today, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Thanks again, JD.

What had me thinking, as I said, are some contrary opinions like the ones on digital trends and whathifi, with the first one being much harsher (cannot post links yet)

On the other hand, homecinemachoice. and avforums describe it as superb, on avforums it's 9/10, highly recommended, same as SR7009.

1. My wife has a thing for (internet) radio, I've just compared them, both support vTuner in order to mark some radio stations as favorites. So it's a draw.

a. I'll be getting Spotify subscription soon so the support for Spotify Connect would be a must-have, in order to stream from pc/smartphone via wifi/LAN. On Marantz's webpage for SR7008 it says only "Spotify", for SR7009 it mentions explicitly "Spotify Connect" (found in another tread here that native Spotify support has been dropped from 2014 models). Would anyone care to elaborate this setup (ease of use etc) as I've never used Spotify on AVR (have a free acc on the PC).

b. Denon supports Airplay to stream music from iTunes on Mac. There are some workarounds on PC in order to make it work (no free ones it seems). Is there a way on any of these 3 AVRs to stream music from PC to AVR - not using AVR's remote control / smartphone app, but directly from the PC which is network-connected?
Buy a blutooth box for $25. Use your phone to connect to Spotify, Pandora, etc. That's what we do for our smaller Denon downstairs. Upstairs we connect with the 4520 through our OPPO for movies, pandora, spotify. I use an HTPC for a music server. This one has worked great for us. http://www.techrabbit.com/belkin-son...urce=301000100
post #13642 of 13643 Old Today, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks again, JD.

I have both Spotify, I use a PC for my computer, I have an iPhone and an ipad, and I have the 4520ci. The way I've always used Spotify is via Airplay from an iPhone/iPad app. You can directly play it from the Denon as well, but it seems pretty clunky to me, and to my knowledge, the quality isn't any different, sound-wise. Also, when you play directly from the Denon (and not through an app via Airplay), Spotify will not recognize it from an app or PC device through its "Spotify Connect" nifty feature--so the only way to switch songs is to go through the Denon remote control (or remote via the Denon ipad/ipod app or comparable android app), if you play it directly from the Denon.

I'm assuming the issue you have either some kind of sound quality issue that I'm not aware of (e.g., that Spotify via Airplay is somehow inferior sound-wise to a native Spotify program built into the receiver--I don't see how that would be the case) or that you want to avoid paying a premium subscription to Spotify? I ask because when it comes to Airplay, I can't tell any difference control-wise or sound-wise that the Spotify connect feature adds (e.g., I can Airplay Spotify to the Denon from my iPad and then control THAT from my iPhone via Spotify connect).
post #13643 of 13643 Old Today, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks again, JD.

In Windows 7, I believe you can use a feature in Media Player called "Cast to Device" which should do it. In Windows 10, you can use the replacement called Groove, or media player again that also has that feature.

Denon AVR-4520CI
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
post #13644 of 13643 Old Today, 08:24 AM

@Bullitt5094 : Thanks, I'm aware of the option. The thing is that in Europe a decent option would be Logitech bluetooth box for ~35 euros, which would further push the price towards the price of used SR7010 (900 euros).

@HTNUT1975 : it would seem I wasn't clear enough - I don't have any problem with Airplay, except that I don't own any Apple devices. As I wrote above, it seems there are some options to use Airplay from a PC running Windows. but free apps don't seem to be reliable.
So, in a nutshell - I do plan to subscribe to Spotify premium, agree with you that navigating Spotify via remote control or smartphone app is bothersome, which is precisely I'd like to know which device (4520, SR7009, SR7010) would let me "cast" Spotify stream from Windows 10 to AVR.

@drh3b : sounds interesting, I'll google it. I was mainly thinking along the lines to cast my FLACs from foobar or winamp (besides spotify).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page