The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 458 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 879Likes

post #13711 of 13731 Old 09-03-2017, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ok, Now What...

Yesterday I tried plugging that 4520 in a few times, never getting past a red flashing light. Like I said, never even getting to reset it. (just sitting on dining room table) no cables, nothing plugged in. This morning, just to see. Looks like the thing works again. Now grant it, nothing plugged in. And after spending about 2 hrs hooking that old sony 7.1 up, just so I didn't have to only have tv speakers. But haven't reprogramed the harmony remote yet....

I'd hate to hook this 4520 back up into the cabinet. For nothing. Just to go out again. I don't believe it got hot or anything. I have cooling fans, I never play it loud. So I never push it very hard. Unless my wife's not home. Actually my ceiling is coming loose, so I had to stop that.........

Any ideas or suggestions before I stick it back in and hook everything back up.

I do have plans for the 4300. looks like it will do everything I need it to...Just cant afford it right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13712 of 13731 Old 09-03-2017, 07:08 AM

I guess the x4400h would make more sense, no upgrade needed.....Wow, this is real nice...
post #13713 of 13731 Old 09-03-2017, 07:29 AM

Ok, i'm not trying to be a pain here or anything.

I've got the unit sitting on the dining table. Its plugged in and on. Nothing else plugged in. Looks good. However, should the eternal fans be on. Because they are not. But I did just turn in on, it cant be hot yet. I'm going to leave it on for a while just to see what happens...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

post #13714 of 13731 Old 09-03-2017, 07:57 AM

well its been on for about 30 minutes, still no fans, but not that hot. I even put a book across the top to help hold in heat. But no fans. This kinda concerns me....Might just be the problem
post #13715 of 13731 Old 09-03-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15006 Post(s)
Liked: 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post
well its been on for about 30 minutes, still no fans, but not that hot. I even put a book across the top to help hold in heat. But no fans. This kinda concerns me....Might just be the problem
The fans will likely never turn on as the internal temp must reach 158F.
post #13716 of 13731 Old 09-03-2017, 11:58 AM

that make sense, seeing it was only warm to the touch, never hot. I'm going to hook it back up and just leave it on top of the cabinet for a day or two, if no more glitches, then I can just push it back in from the back.

thanks again....
post #13717 of 13731 Old 09-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
that make sense, seeing it was only warm to the touch, never hot. I'm going to hook it back up and just leave it on top of the cabinet for a day or two, if no more glitches, then I can just push it back in from the back.

thanks again....
Sorry I was not able to supply this information earlier - it may help with the shutdowns...............
Start on 01 - and work through the sheets - it can be a bit confusing at first, but follow carefully and it will work - I've used this sequence myself.

Hope it helps, regards, Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Protection 01.jpg (136.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Protection 02.jpg (127.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Protection 03.jpg (83.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Protection 04.jpg (72.9 KB, 18 views)
post #13718 of 13731 Old 09-05-2017, 09:26 AM

I just don't get it.

Hooked everything up yesterday. Turned it on and off several times. Even left the house, turned it back on. Got up this morning, to run the AUDYSSEY SOUND CALIBRATION. The crazy thing never came on. It when through the startup cycle, to main zone on, but then it clicks off, back to that red light flashing again.

Any body know if its worth trying to get fixed. I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Or even if its something I can sell for parts.

Looks like I need to start saving my pennies up for the Denon AVRX4300H. Looks like this would at least get me into Atmos.

I never got to check into the protection info AV Mike sent me.
post #13719 of 13731 Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I just don't get it.

Hooked everything up yesterday. Turned it on and off several times. Even left the house, turned it back on. Got up this morning, to run the AUDYSSEY SOUND CALIBRATION. The crazy thing never came on. It when through the startup cycle, to main zone on, but then it clicks off, back to that red light flashing again.

Any body know if its worth trying to get fixed. I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Or even if its something I can sell for parts.

Looks like I need to start saving my pennies up for the Denon AVRX4300H. Looks like this would at least get me into Atmos.

I never got to check into the protection info AV Mike sent me.
Sorry to hear that it's failing again.

With nothing to lose....................I would open her up and start checking any & all connectors that I could get to - actually unplug and re-plug each one. If any look out of place - try the switch on once re-seated.
It goes without saying that you must be careful when applying power with the case off - NO FINGERS INSIDE while trying it.
Best of luck, regards, Mike.
post #13720 of 13731 Old 09-07-2017, 12:39 PM

and it works again today

it has a mind of its own
post #13721 of 13731 Old 09-08-2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
and it works again today

it has a mind of its own
While it's "working".........try going through the Protection Log, it may shed some light on the underlying cause - it may still end up being terminal, but at the moment what you need is more information.
Good luck, regards, Mike.
post #13722 of 13731 Old 09-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just how good is the amp section of the 4520?

Last edited by xhattan; 09-08-2017 at 02:24 PM.
post #13723 of 13731 Old 09-08-2017, 03:45 PM

Wow, its working 2 days in a row. Maybe I can look into the protection log that Mike was talking about.
post #13724 of 13731 Old 09-08-2017, 04:27 PM

Hey Mike. AV Mike

Ok, I finally got to look at the protection logs info.

And YES, very confusing.

So far the only thing I can see so far is this one with the protection time....
It says

DC 17 ASO 0

Next time the unit starts shutting down again I see I need to pay attention to how fast the red light is flashing. I see on the 3rd page you sent me...( warning indication by the power led ) lists different flashing indications for various problems....

And have yet to open it up.
post #13725 of 13731 Old 09-08-2017, 04:36 PM

That was short lived...

Back to the red flashing light.

Looks like (1) ASO/DC PROTECTION: Flashes at intervals of 0.25 seconds lit, and same off...

Sounds like something to do with that DC 17
post #13726 of 13731 Old 09-09-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
That was short lived...

Back to the red flashing light.

Looks like (1) ASO/DC PROTECTION: Flashes at intervals of 0.25 seconds lit, and same off...

Sounds like something to do with that DC 17
DC 17 means that the AVR has gone into Protection Shutdown mode 17 times - because of abnormal DC current in one or more of the power amplifier stages.
There are nine separate amplifier boards in the 4520, looking from the front panel - there are four on the right-hand side, and five on the left-hand side.
Each group of amplifiers have two multi-way connectors providing signals, control lines, and power. The upper two sets of cables are the pre-amp signals.
If the pre-amp outputs are NOT connected fully to the amplifier inputs - an excess DC current will flow in the affected channel, triggering the shutdown.
Checking the multi-way cables on each side of the unit may identify the issue.
These two pictures show the cables concerned - with my own custom made cables connected to top connectors in each case.
You may be able to see the connectors without taking the lid off - if you shine a torch through the air vents that run along the unit sides.
Edit : Just added another Service Manual picture.

Remotely, this is the best I can offer - hope it might help, regards, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right 4-amps.jpg (632.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Left 5-amps.jpg (866.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Internal PCBs.JPG (127.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by AV_mike; 09-09-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Adding another picture
post #13727 of 13731 Old 09-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Hey Mike,

Thanks for all the info. I've been busy with the hurricane clean up. What a mess, but very lucky.

I try to open it up tomorrow see if I can find anything.
post #13728 of 13731 Old 09-15-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Hey Mike,

Thanks for all the info. I've been busy with the hurricane clean up. What a mess, but very lucky.

I try to open it up tomorrow see if I can find anything.
Glad to hear that you are okay, many others have not been so lucky.
Once you are able to relax, and have some spare time - then I hope the information might prove to be useful.
Regards, Mike (bit windy in the U.K. today !!!!!)
post #13729 of 13731 Old 09-18-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post
DC 17 means that the AVR has gone into Protection Shutdown mode 17 times - because of abnormal DC current in one or more of the power amplifier stages.
There are nine separate amplifier boards in the 4520, looking from the front panel - there are four on the right-hand side, and five on the left-hand side.
Each group of amplifiers have two multi-way connectors providing signals, control lines, and power. The upper two sets of cables are the pre-amp signals.
If the pre-amp outputs are NOT connected fully to the amplifier inputs - an excess DC current will flow in the affected channel, triggering the shutdown.
Checking the multi-way cables on each side of the unit may identify the issue.
These two pictures show the cables concerned - with my own custom made cables connected to top connectors in each case.
You may be able to see the connectors without taking the lid off - if you shine a torch through the air vents that run along the unit sides.
Edit : Just added another Service Manual picture.

Remotely, this is the best I can offer - hope it might help, regards, Mike
Just wanted to add my 2c worth of experience with amplifier DC faults.
1. DC faults could burn your expensive speakers if not caught early enough by the AVR's protection circuitry.
2. Causes of DC at the amplifier outputs could be:
a) DC at the input being amplified. May not be the cause with the 4520 because its amplifiers are not DC-coupled to the inputs.
b) Faulty input stage circuitry that feeds DC to the rest of the amplifiers (due to dirt and moisture, or terminally ill semiconductors due to heat). Probable cause of intermittent (17) failures.
c) Burnt up power transistor EMITTER RESISTORS. These can burn if not robust enough. This could be the cause of 4520's DC fault. The resistor/s may not completely fail in one go because of the protection circuit.

Regardless of the cause/s I would not put back the unit in the cabinet until the issue is posoitvely resolved.
post #13730 of 13731 Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Well -- I have enjoyed my 4520 for three years now, and today the unit's HDMI out seems to have failed. I get no video and intermittent audio. It happened tonight when I changed sources from my DirecTV DVR (everything was fine - no issues) to my RasPlex. The video never came up with the RasPlex - like it never handshaked -- projector did show a handshake). Tried other sources thinking it was a RasPlex issue -- other sources has same issue. I took the AVR out of the signal chain and connected the DVR and my XBONE directly to my projector (Sony 500ES) video came right up. So I have narrowed the issue to the 4520. I also tried switching to Monitor 2 -- no help.

After checking all video settings were correct (which I have the AVR do zero video processing -- just passing the existing signal) -- I did a deep reset. But no help.

Any thoughts? I will call Denon Customer Service tomorrow and beg for warranty mercy (I bought the unit on 9/4/14 -- so I am literally like two weeks past the 3 year warranty date). Hopefully they help a local customer out (I am still rocking a 12-year old Denon in my family room).

Thanks!
post #13731 of 13731 Old Today, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15006 Post(s)
Liked: 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Well -- I have enjoyed my 4520 for three years now, and today the unit's HDMI out seems to have failed. I get no video and intermittent audio. It happened tonight when I changed sources from my DirecTV DVR (everything was fine - no issues) to my RasPlex. The video never came up with the RasPlex - like it never handshaked -- projector did show a handshake). Tried other sources thinking it was a RasPlex issue -- other sources has same issue. I took the AVR out of the signal chain and connected the DVR and my XBONE directly to my projector (Sony 500ES) video came right up. So I have narrowed the issue to the 4520. I also tried switching to Monitor 2 -- no help.

After checking all video settings were correct (which I have the AVR do zero video processing -- just passing the existing signal) -- I did a deep reset. But no help.

Any thoughts? I will call Denon Customer Service tomorrow and beg for warranty mercy (I bought the unit on 9/4/14 -- so I am literally like two weeks past the 3 year warranty date). Hopefully they help a local customer out (I am still rocking a 12-year old Denon in my family room).

Thanks!
Try powering off and unplugging the power cord from both the AVR and PJ for 10 minutes. Also unplug the HDMI cable connecting them. Connect all cables. Then do a few resets in a row. What is the length of the HDMI cable to the PJ? Try adding an HDMI extender if > 20'. Do you have a small TV you can use as a test using a shorter HDMI cable? Otherwise, if you decide on warranty repair, Denon should take care of you, but if not, and if you purchased with a credit card, the card is likely to extend the warranty a 4th year so check with your card issuer to confirm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page