The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm not sure if this is allowed here, but does anyone have any suggestions or leads on where I may get a good deal on this receiver? I've looked on eBay and see that they are cheap, but worry about the lack of USA warranty. Any good stores I can look at that may be less than MSRP?

Thanks!

PS. Coming from the AVR3311
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

as noted several times in this thread, give mike @ avs a call... wink.gif his number is 585-671-2968... he will take care of you... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1623 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks! I would buy it from him in a heartbeat, but he has none to sell right now. Bummer.
post #1624 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM

Liked: 10
I have noticed this week that when I select media server that intermittently the TV screen will shutter or there is a green flash and occasionally it will do both. I have tested the other network features like internet radio and this does not occur. It also did not occur on the media server until after I did the latest update. The media server function performs OK. It does not reboot as some have experienced. My fear is that this is the precursor of something really bad to follow.

Is anybody else experiencing this? My PC has Windows 7 and I don't do anything really exotic except stream the music and pictures from my PC. I haven't done anything new to the PC either. Everything was working fine up until this week.
post #1625 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

@stan...

drag... frown.gif he will get more... smile.gif

@everyone...

guys (and theresa smile.gif ), ot, but this is such a SCREAMING good deal i would imagine a few of you might want to take advantage of it...

i needed a bunch of speaker wire to finish up some system reconstruction i've been working on... stopped at my local hd to get some at lunchtime... had a 250' spool of 14/2 zip cord in my hands, then looked up at the "higher shelves" (the ones they need the ladder to reach) above it...

they are clearing out spools of 14/2 cl3 at HALF the original shelf marked price... 79 bucks for a 500' spool (!!!!)... that is 60 bucks less a spool than at monoprice (once you add shipping cost).... less than 16 cents a foot for 14/2 cl3 (!!!! again)... needless to say, i brought one home... i almost bought two, i'll need it eventually... redface.gif

not sure if it's in all hd's, and the guy told me the last of what they had was out on the shelves... if you go look, the cable jacket is yellow, you can't miss it....

side note to stuart and ben... see? sometimes i save people money... tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #1626 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
^^^^^

Right, save us a few dollars and cost us a few thousand dollars eek.gif

Because we can't be personally responsible for our own spending - we need someone to blame smile.gif

Now about that Darblet....
post #1627 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well... i suppose you could look at it that way... tongue.gif

that's what i'm here for, to take the blame... it's my penance for being lucky enough to have zero waf issues... smile.gif

you might as well order the darblet now... you are going to want one after saturday night... biggrin.gif

- chris

post #1628 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I picked up my 4520 this morning hooked it up without an amp at first and then with an amp , I will for sure be using the 4520 in pre amp mode and keeping my amp
I also hooked up my SB Duet and played some music and its not to shabby I should have my server up and going again by Fri and then I will try streaming to the 4520

As far as the 4530 Im happy with my purchase so far

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
(2) W4S M Series Mono Blocks
Selah Tempestas
VPI Classic 2
post #1629 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
that's what i'm here for, to take the blame... it's my penance for being lucky enough to have zero waf issues... smile.gif
you might as well order the darblet now... you are going to want one after saturday night... biggrin.gif

The key Saturday is having my swmbo see the difference and want it. I'm in A/V purchasing purgatory right now after the last 6 months of headphone related investment. And rightfully so.
post #1630 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

The key Saturday is having my swmbo see the difference and want it. I'm in A/V purchasing purgatory right now after the last 6 months of headphone related investment. And rightfully so.

Don't look at me--mine already said 'no mas' after the latest new (video) shiny toys...

OTOH, I live over 1K miles away from both of you....

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #1631 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

DBT-3313UDCI vs BDP-93 Thoughts

Selah Tempestas
VPI Classic 2
post #1632 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

see? sometimes i save people money... tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

I believe the term "false economy" may apply here. biggrin.gif

Although, happily, I have yet to see a compelling argument to upgrade from my 4311, and in large part that is because of yours and others assessments/observations. Thank you for that.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #1633 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 PM

Liked: 17
keep the denon. sell me the 93 for cheap..
And MAN...has your equipment changed a lot since we last chatted!
post #1634 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:

^^^
you ever figure out a way to get the darbe working with the urc remote using the IR in?
post #1635 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

keep the denon. sell me the 93 for cheap..
And MAN...has your equipment changed a lot since we last chatted!

The 93 has the old FW also I probally wouldnt sell it , I would move it to a diffrent room is I bought a Denon

Yeah I made alot of changes smile.gif

Selah Tempestas
VPI Classic 2
post #1636 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

Quote:

^^^
you ever figure out a way to get the darbe working with the urc remote using the IR in?

nope... but i've been busy with other stuff, so i haven't out any effort into it...

the flasher works fine though on the eye... i taped one on there and no problems so far...

- chris

post #1637 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Quote:

see? sometimes i save people money... tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

I believe the term "false economy" may apply here. biggrin.gif

Although, happily, I have yet to see a compelling argument to upgrade from my 4311, and in large part that is because of yours and others assessments/observations. Thank you for that.

biggrin.gif

you are welcome... smile.gif

the thought process for the move to the 4520 from the 4311 wouldn't be any different from any other avr "upgrade"... "will you use the new features?"... if not, then there isn't any "good" reason to make the swap...

unless, of course, you simply want a new toy... in that case, "will i use the new features?" starts making a slow slide into irrelevancy... tongue.gif

- chris

post #1638 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:

nope... but i've been busy with other stuff, so i haven't out any effort into it...
the flasher works fine though on the eye... i taped one on there and no problems so far...
but but that is ghetto! I WANT to use the Ir in... Sure it works fine but it just seems wrong to not use it..
:-)
post #1639 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

biggrin.gif
you are welcome... smile.gif
the thought process for the move to the 4520 from the 4311 wouldn't be any different from any other avr "upgrade"... "will you use the new features?"... if not, then there isn't any "good" reason to make the swap...
unless, of course, you simply want a new toy... in that case, "will i use the new features?" starts making a slow slide into irrelevancy... tongue.gif

Or....you can "find" a way to use the new features.....or an excuse.

Many an "upgrade" has occured with that reasoning......

(yikes - I think I'm channeling Chris on that post. First our money now our writing style!eek.gif)

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #1640 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 PM

I currently own a 4311 which I got right when it came out a couple of years ago. I've been quite happy with the receiver (albeit with a few too many processor resets) but I have been very frustrated with the implementation of AirPlay, specifically the way it hijacked the main zone even though all that I wanted was to send music to zone 2. This morning I called Denon support and they assured me this issue is fixed in the 4520. Not one to take a verbal over the phone from vendor tech support I thought I'd ask here for confirmation and perhaps get a more detailed overall description of how this feature works now. I have a few specific questions and if someone who owns this receiver already has the ability to test I'd much appreciate it.

Let's say the kids are in the basement watching TV (Main Zone, 9:1 speaker setup) and I want to play music to zone 2 (trigger out to turn on 2-channel power AMP driving speakers in another room connected to zone 2 pre-outs).

1/ Does Airplay correctly power on zone2 when the Denon is selected from iTunes (leaving the Main zone alone)?

2/ When zone 2 powers on does the trigger out also power on the power amp?

3/ When iTunes deselects the Denon as an Airplay destination does zone 2 (and trigger) power off?

4/ When using the Denon Remote app to select a media server can it decode and play flac 24bit 48/96/192 files.

5/ What happens if iTunes is paused with the Denon destination still selected but I then launch the media server directly? Does it take over Net/USB at this point? How about vice versa. (I use iTunes for most 16bit music but Songbird for 24bit)

6/ Mostly though does it just leave the Main zone alone and is Denon support correct and this issue is now fixed?

thx

--- Apologies to moderator I somehow started a new thread when I meant this question to go to the official 4520 thread. That what happens when you only post every other year.
post #1641 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

DBT-3313UDCI vs BDP-93 Thoughts

If you have a large collection of Bluray music in MPCM, SACD and DVD-Audio, I would bet on the 3313 based on my experience with DenonLink4 and my friend's recommendation (having moved from DL4 to DL HD with the 4520 and 3313).

If you don't, stick with the 93.
post #1642 of 8715 Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

I am currently using a Squeeze Box Duet " coax " into the 4520 and streaming from my server WHS 2003 I was thinking of reloading my server with WHS 2011 and streaming direct to the 4520 . I wondering what the advantage would be ? Also wondering if there would be a better method

Selah Tempestas
VPI Classic 2
post #1643 of 8715 Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 AM

Liked: 29
Feels like I haven't visited AVSFORUM in forever! Nice thread! Currently own the Denon AVR-3808A and plan to upgrade to an AVR-4520 with the matching BDT-3313.

I have one concern in regards to a feature in the AVR-4520 that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've read the user manual twice but can't find any detailed info on this. The older models were quite flexible in terms of 'Personal Memory Plus' and the ability to control individual speaker level settings memorized per input source / soundmode. In other words; I may want to tweak speaker levels settings for, say, 'Multi Channel Stereo' when listening to the CD input regardless of the general setting done by the main calibration that applies to all other sources.

Can one do this also on the AVR-4520? Just how does one change and memorize speaker level settings on-the-fly? On the remote of the AVR-3808A you simply press 'ENTER' during playback and get a dedicated speaker level menu for that particular source input. Simple and extremely practical. I pray they haven't been dumb enough to ditch this convenient feature!?

Grateful to any kind soul who can give me a definitive answer to this CHEERS! smile.gif

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

post #1644 of 8715 Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 View Post

My unit will be here Tuesday smile.gif
Regarding SiriusXM, does the 4520 support it natively without extra hardware or does it only support internet stream? I saw XM mentioned and didn't think much more of it but now I notice it was lumped in with the other streaming services. I'm worried now.

Well, you guys probably already knew but after taking a closer look it seems the 4520 only supports SiriusXM internet, not satellite as I assumed. Denon never responded to my email so I called customer support, which incorrectly assured me I just log in through the 'network' sources. I was skeptical and when trying to log in it says incorrect username and password. Looks like I'll be spending an extra $200 on a XM receiver and home kit. mad.gif

It's disappointing to see Denon is dropping SiriusXM satellite capability from their receivers and opting for internet streaming instead. My 5yr old Onkyo that cost half the price did it with only the mini-dock. Ultimately it's up to me though, I glanced and saw 'SiriusXM' and thought I was in the clear. On the plus side I have $100 in Best Buy reward zone to blow and I'll have many more features than the Denon would provide.

TV: Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD
Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CI
Blu-Ray: Playstation 3
Media Player: Dune HD Max
DVD/SACD: Oppo DV-980H
Speakers: Paradigm Millenia 200 5.1 system
post #1645 of 8715 Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you would actually be better off financially using the internet option, as the additional siriusxm receiver license will cost you more than the internet license... that also gives you the benefit of being able to access siriusxm from your handheld devices... which then allows you to use airplay or bluetooth to have siriusxm everywhere... wink.gif

- chris

post #1646 of 8715 Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Hi all,

I consider buying a 4520, but have a question. Does the scaler also stretch 3D vertically?

I have a Oppo 93 blu ray player and a Sony HW50 projector. Both have vertical stretch built in, but both do not work with 3D. The Sony not at all, the Oppo on some titles. I tested it with the european versions of Prometheus 3D and Brave 3D.

Thanks in advance,
The BigRalf :-)

Happy viewing,
BigRalf:-)
post #1647 of 8715 Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 View Post

Well, you guys probably already knew but after taking a closer look it seems the 4520 only supports SiriusXM internet, not satellite as I assumed. Denon never responded to my email so I called customer support, which incorrectly assured me I just log in through the 'network' sources. I was skeptical and when trying to log in it says incorrect username and password. Looks like I'll be spending an extra $200 on a XM receiver and home kit. mad.gif
It's disappointing to see Denon is dropping SiriusXM satellite capability from their receivers and opting for internet streaming instead. My 5yr old Onkyo that cost half the price did it with only the mini-dock. Ultimately it's up to me though, I glanced and saw 'SiriusXM' and thought I was in the clear. On the plus side I have $100 in Best Buy reward zone to blow and I'll have many more features than the Denon would provide.

Sorry, somewhat off-topic, and my opinion only.

I was a Sirius/XM subscriber for years (starting back when XM was part of the DirecTV package), and continuing with my BMW satellite radio.  However, with the recent explosion of internet music providers, both free and subscription-based, I think Sirius has fallen behind.  If music is your objective, there are many other services that do a better job than Sirius.  If you want sports and talk, then Sirius may still be the right choice.

If I were to continue with Sirius (which I didn't), I would certainly opt for the internet delivery, as Chris suggests.  And for in-car mobile listening, nothing beats an iPhone, installed in a nice car mount, and connected to the car's premium sound system.  Unlimited, on-demand music choice!

post #1648 of 8715 Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post

Feels like I haven't visited AVSFORUM in forever! Nice thread! Currently own the Denon AVR-3808A and plan to upgrade to an AVR-4520 with the matching BDT-3313.
I have one concern in regards to a feature in the AVR-4520 that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've read the user manual twice but can't find any detailed info on this. The older models were quite flexible in terms of 'Personal Memory Plus' and the ability to control individual speaker level settings memorized per input source / soundmode. In other words; I may want to tweak speaker levels settings for, say, 'Multi Channel Stereo' when listening to the CD input regardless of the general setting done by the main calibration that applies to all other sources.
Can one do this also on the AVR-4520? Just how does one change and memorize speaker level settings on-the-fly? On the remote of the AVR-3808A you simply press 'ENTER' during playback and get a dedicated speaker level menu for that particular source input. Simple and extremely practical. I pray they haven't been dumb enough to ditch this convenient feature!?
Grateful to any kind soul who can give me a definitive answer to this CHEERS! smile.gif

Look at Post #1 LINK TO 4520CI DOCUMENT OF ALL CUSTOM IR CODES The only way to control individual
speaker levels is by using discrete codes with a universal home theater remote remote ie Crestron RTI URC Harmony etc.
post #1649 of 8715 Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

@jerry...

i agree completely with your opinion... smile.gif

tbh, i use mine very little... i subscribe to the nba/mlb packages anyway... and now that i switched to verizon for cell phone service, i get the nfl games...

siriusxm is almost a product of a time gone by... unless you can't live without stern (who i burned out when he was still at wnbc in ny), there's many better ways to accomplish the same goal now...

- chris

post #1650 of 8715 Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinroad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post

Look at Post #1 LINK TO 4520CI DOCUMENT OF ALL CUSTOM IR CODES The only way to control individual
speaker levels is by using discrete codes with a universal home theater remote remote ie Crestron RTI URC Harmony etc.

while true, i do not think that is what he is asking... smile.gif

i think what he is asking is once you have actually changed the levels, will they be maintained by individual source, or be able to be saved as a quick select setting...

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page