The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum
First ... 92  93  94 95  96  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread
FlatRocky's Avatar FlatRocky 01:23 PM 02-08-2013
i cant seems to play any analog/digital inputs directly to zone 2. just in main zone.

internet radios just work fine.

nor can i play computer files "play to" option to zone 2. main zone only.


cant play airplay to zone 2 either without engaging zone one.

any help?

Thank you in advance

jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 01:39 PM 02-08-2013
Unless you are using "All Zone Stereo" only analog audio (external source), network audio, Tuner, and USB will pass to Zones 2/3 (ie. no HDMI or optical/coax digital sources). Airplay must be started in both main and Zones 2/3 before returning to the original source playing in the main zone.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 01:43 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by altha View Post

Does anyone have any suggestis on on where to find more information regarding wiring volume control devices to the Denon?
Any suggestions would be great as I am very new in the AV scene.

Thank you

How many speakers are you planning on wiring? Generally you don't want to wire more than 2 sets per Zone.
altha's Avatar altha 02:06 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

How many speakers are you planning on wiring? Generally you don't want to wire more than 2 sets per Zone.

Thank you for the reply.

I am looking at two speakers in the kitchen, and two speakers in the dinning room (one zone)- with each of them having a (seperate) volume control
Then having the other audio zone for two speakers in the bathroom.

What I am struggling with, informationaly, is how to wire things up after the speaker wires have been hooked up. I realize they can be controlled via an app, but it would also be nice to be able to control the volume locally.

Thanks
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 02:19 PM 02-08-2013
Do the volume control switches have impedance dip/jumper switches that can be set appropriately when connecting speaker sets in parallel/series? If yes, make sure to set them according to the mfr's instructions. Then with the AVR volume set to minimum and the volume switches set to their max volume raise the volume on the AVR for Zone 2 (3) to the max level you expect to ever use and then back the volume switch down to the level you want to use on a regular basis.
altha's Avatar altha 02:54 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Do the volume control switches have impedance dip switches that can be set appropriately when connecting speaker sets in parallel/series? If yes, make sure to set them according to the mfr's instructions. Then with the volume switches set to their max volume raise the volume on the AVR for Zone 2 (3) to the max level you expect to ever use and then back the volume switch down to the level you want to use on a regular basis.

I apologize, but I did not mention I have not purchased the switches as of yet (a recomendation would be fantastic).
I have things wired from the Denon to the speakers (home runs) to each of the six (6) speakers. I guess where I am unclear is from the switch (POT) where do I hook into the Denon, or intermediate device to make this control. I am setting up as 5.1 2/3 as recomended btw.

Thanks, and apologize in advance for such newbie questions.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 03:07 PM 02-08-2013
Refer to the image on p. 178 in your Owner's manual for the correct speaker connections. No suggestion on volume switches (google), but if you don't have speakers selected for the bathroom yet, you may want to get a single "stereo" speaker.
altha's Avatar altha 03:14 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Refer to the image on p. 178 in your Owner's manual for the correct speaker connections.

That is what I was working from, but am not clear about the intermediate pieces.
Thanks
SergeantYnot's Avatar SergeantYnot 03:23 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

In comparison with my Onkyo 5508, my subjective impression is that the 4520 is slightly better in SQ. It is so slight though as to almost be inconsequential.

Is this for movie or music playback? I have read numerous feedback posts that there is a slight edge to the Onkyo for music, while the Denon is generally better suited for movies.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 03:30 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by altha View Post

That is what I was working from, but am not clear about the intermediate pieces.
Thanks

Just google volume control impedance matching switches and select the brand/style/budget that you prefer .... for example ...

http://www.smarthome.com/_/Speakers_A_V_Home_Theater/Volume_Controls_Speaker_Switching/_/R/1Sl/nav.aspx

With this type of volume control switch, with the jumper appropriately set for the number of speakers connected to the same set of speaker posts on the AVR you just connect your home run connections (KT/DR - Zone 2 - SBL/SBR and Bathroom - Zone 3 - FWL/FWR).
altha's Avatar altha 04:22 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Just google volume control impedance matching switches and select the brand/style/budget that you prefer .... for example ...

http://www.smarthome.com/_/Speakers_A_V_Home_Theater/Volume_Controls_Speaker_Switching/_/R/1Sl/nav.aspx

With this type of volume control switch, with the jumper appropriately set for the number of speakers connected to the same set of speaker posts on the AVR you just connect your home run connections (KT/DR - Zone 2 - SBL/SBR and Bathroom - Zone 3 - FWL/FWR).

Thank you for your time
altha's Avatar altha 06:35 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by altha View Post

Thank you for your time

Can I ask another question, again please?

I asked previosuly about hooking up four (4) speakers to the SB L/R inputs and it was proposed to add an additional amp. Is this needed?
Is there an issue to hookup four in-ceiling speakers (Kitchen and Dinning room) to the same SB L/R?
I am not looking for much output, just simple "background-ish" music from the network.

Am I way off base?

Thank you again
Dreamliner's Avatar Dreamliner 12:09 AM 02-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by altha View Post

Can I ask another question, again please?

I asked previosuly about hooking up four (4) speakers to the SB L/R inputs and it was proposed to add an additional amp. Is this needed?
Is there an issue to hookup four in-ceiling speakers (Kitchen and Dinning room) to the same SB L/R?
I am not looking for much output, just simple "background-ish" music from the network.

Am I way off base?

Thank you again
Research Ohms. Technically if wired properly, you could hook up 4 4-ohm speakers. 4 8-ohm speakers will work, but it will be much quieter.

As long as you don't exceed the ohm ability of the receiver, you won't damage anything.
Theresa's Avatar Theresa 02:55 AM 02-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Is this for movie or music playback? I have read numerous feedback posts that there is a slight edge to the Onkyo for music, while the Denon is generally better suited for movies.

Both. There probably would be no difference in SQ when using Direct mode. The difference is very slight and the SQ of each, regardless of the source, is very, very good.
altha's Avatar altha 11:40 AM 02-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

Research Ohms. Technically if wired properly, you could hook up 4 4-ohm speakers. 4 8-ohm speakers will work, but it will be much quieter.

As long as you don't exceed the ohm ability of the receiver, you won't damage anything.

Great thanks...I am going to install qty 4 - (4-8) ohm capable speakers, so from my calculations I should be within tolerance
Joe6P's Avatar Joe6P 12:05 PM 02-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I went with the 3010. I did this because it came out before the Denon (with full Neo:X) and I wanted to try out the Onkyos (having owned a Denon 3808 and a Pioneer 1120). I have it sitting outside my dedicated theater room, so I cannot common on the clicking sound. I use a HTPC, so I cannot comment on changing input sources either, as my input source is always the same (except when I change to the Wii, but that is not HDMI). Since I use a HTPC, all my output is at the same resolution - so I never have to worry about resyncing HDMI anything. It takes 23 seconds to power up and be ready, but the projector takes longer, so I do not notice it at all. HDMI-CEC works perfectly on it, for which I am happy. It runs no hotter than my Denon 3808 ran, so I believe they fixed the heat issue finally. I have no lip sync problems either. If you get one, do the firmware upgrade before you do anything at all...the upgrade was released the day the product was released and fixed Audyssey issues detecting my front heights...they work perfectly now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

As others have stated, when you are at this level of the game you will most likely be running separates. Granted, I don't find switching out a $2500 AVR every few years to keep up with technology the least bit appealing, it still does make more sense investing in separates to maximize performance. We can all argue all day whether or not these receivers will power 4ohm speakers, but the reality is you will probably be driving a very nice system if you need that much power and will more than likely have some kind of amp in the mix. That's one of the reasons Denon had the foresight to add the "preamp mode" to their AVRs. I think that's the one of the most intuitive things to see in a long time.

As for the Onkyo's performance, I too have read that out of the Holy Trinity (Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer), Onkyo is the most musical during playback. This might have something to do with their features list always being ahead of the curve, and having the latest badges from Audyssey, DTS, and Dolby. When I get my 4520, I will add my observations of SQ versus what I have been listening to for the last 9 years with my Pioneer Elite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post



If you honestly need something more powerful than what Denon provides, you will need something more powerful than the Onkyo also. Another thing to remember, is that even though the previous generation Onkyo's had better amp specs than the Denon, in actual tests, the Denon had just as much or more output.

The nice thing is that all these receivers have pre-outs for everything, and insanely clean and powerful amps which DESTROY the built-in ones are cheap.

I'm using a pro-amp (Behringer EP4000) for my mains. The thing cost me $250 and puts out 500 clean watts per channel at 8 ohms. Overkill... but for the price... who cares?

After doing tons of research, I'd go for the Denon every time. Listen to the people posting above with experience with both.

Your Behringer EP4000 power sounds impressive but I wonder how clean it sounds to picky audiophiles. Corvette vs. M6 BMW…
I’ve always used my Yamaha-MX-1 Amp rated 630 clean watts/2ohms per channel for my L&R main speakers. I’m using the 4520ci built-in L&R amps to bi-amp the center channel. So I’m not starving for power except when I look at the Onkyo, I can sense cleaner audio and video processing because each section has its own separate power supply including its power amplification


AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 12:21 PM 02-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe6P View Post




I’m using the 5420ci built-in L&R amps to bi-amp the center channel.
 

 

5420?


Theresa's Avatar Theresa 12:25 PM 02-09-2013
I'm sure "5420" is just a typo.
Joe6P's Avatar Joe6P 12:33 PM 02-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

5420?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I'm sure "5420" is just a typo.
I don’t know what you’re talking about.biggrin.gif
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 08:55 PM 02-09-2013
Just to double check, I went out to the official Denon USA website and I found the 5420 listed there...so I am quite sure Joe meant what he typed. I snagged a screen cap of it in case you all do not believe me.



There you go, official proof from Denon itself....but I am sure that will not stop some of you from claiming the page was photoshoped...even though I OBVIOUSLY was not. Haters gonna hate and all that.
Joe6P's Avatar Joe6P 09:05 PM 02-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Just to double check, I went out to the official Denon USA website and I found the 5420 listed there...so I am quite sure Joe meant what he typed. I snagged a screen cap of it in case you all do not believe me.



There you go, official proof from Denon itself....but I am sure that will not stop some of you from claiming the page was photoshoped...even though I OBVIOUSLY was not. Haters gonna hate and all that.
I still don’t know what you’re talking aboutmr_bean.jpg
Dreamliner's Avatar Dreamliner 10:01 AM 02-10-2013
When is the replacement to the 4520 coming?
Splicer010's Avatar Splicer010 10:03 AM 02-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

When is the replacement to the 4520 coming?
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA!!! The 4520 was JUST released and you want it replaced already? eek.gifrolleyes.gif
sdrucker's Avatar sdrucker 10:06 AM 02-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA!!! The 4520 was JUST released and you want it replaced already? eek.gifrolleyes.gif

Who do you think this is, Pioneer?
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 10:09 AM 02-10-2013
Probably not in 2013. Maybe 2014. Or later.

The presumption has been that the out-of-band model number was chosen because they couldn't finalize a new top-of-the-line design that quickly, and they didn't want people to stop buying the current one. In other words, they probably discovered that sales of the 4311 fell off dramatically because people were looking for a 4312 (which was never produced).
alessiobiasutto's Avatar alessiobiasutto 11:07 AM 02-10-2013
Does anybody know which is the technical reason why it is not possible to use the AVR4520 as a video source by streaming video from a DLNA NAS?
Dreamliner's Avatar Dreamliner 11:15 AM 02-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Probably not in 2013. Maybe 2014. Or later.

The presumption has been that the out-of-band model number was chosen because they couldn't finalize a new top-of-the-line design that quickly, and they didn't want people to stop buying the current one. In other words, they probably discovered that sales of the 4311 fell off dramatically because people were looking for a 4312 (which was never produced).
Thats my thinking...but Denon seemed to have been in a yearly update model (3310,11,12,13). I'm about to get a 4520, but if waiting 6 months would get me a newer one, I would.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 11:24 AM 02-10-2013
Closer to 9 months as the earliest would be Oct/Nov as that was when the 4520CI (and 4311CI) were released.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 11:31 AM 02-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessiobiasutto View Post

Does anybody know which is the technical reason why it is not possible to use the AVR4520 as a video source by streaming video from a DLNA NAS?

Perhaps because there are too many 3rd party choices that can do the job and have far more experience with the process. AFAIK, the only AVRs on the market today that can stream video via DLNA are the Sony flagship models.
alessiobiasutto's Avatar alessiobiasutto 11:36 AM 02-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Perhaps because there are too many 3rd party choices that can do the job and have far more experience with the process. AFAIK, the only AVRs on the market today that can stream video via DLNA are the Sony flagship models.

Yes, but when you have a street price of more than 2300€ (in Italy), people might expect to be able to do that without having to buy yet another piece of HW...
Tags: Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
First ... 92  93  94 95  96  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop