Onkyo SR508 Intermittant Playing 3D Blu-rays from Panasonic BDT210 to Samsung PN64D8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using new home theater equipment in two rooms for one year. One room has an Onkyo SR508 with HDMI connections to a Panasonic BD60, satellite receiver and Samsung PN59D550.
The main room also has an Onkyo SR508 with HDMI connections to a Panasonic BDT210 3D capable player and Samsung PN64D8000. Both setups have performed flawlessly with satellite programming and 2D Blu-rays.

However, when 3D Blu-rays are played, after ten minutes or so, the sound becomes occasionally intermittent and the picture disappears for several seconds. The problem progressively gets worse until I shut the 3D Blu-ray down. I positioned a small fan blowing across the SR508 and it fixed the problem for most 3D movies. However the fan noise persuaded me to try swapping the two SR508 receivers. I initially thought this solved the problem but playing Titanic 3D today became impossible..

I believe the problem is heat related and lies with the SR508 design. Apparently 3D exacerbates the problem. Has anyone found a better solution than my noisy fan? Is there any probability that the problem lies elsewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-06-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK! A contributer to Blu-ray.com has found the solution to the intermittant audio video when watching 3D movies. He suggested that I switch to HDMI 1.4 cables (I was using HDMI 1.3.) The result was that the Onkyo SR508 produce noticeably less heat and my av problems went away!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Panasonic 3d Blu Ray Player Dmp Bdt210 , Panasonic 3d Blu Ray Player Dmp Bdt220 , Panasonic Open Box Blu Ray Disc Player 3d
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page