HK 7550HD - HTPC - 3D Playback issue - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > HK 7550HD - HTPC - 3D Playback issue

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Fatshaft's Avatar Fatshaft
10:30 AM Liked: 238
post #1 of 8
09-19-2012 | Posts: 1,472
Calling HK 7550HD owners...

I was wondering if you have 3D working in bypass mode via a HTPC.
I have brought my Amp in to do the 1.4 upgrade twice and still cannot get it to work.
The 2nd time was to make sure it had taken the upgrade so they redid it.

I'm using a HD5770 card, with an EDID override, and I recently bought a HD7750 card and it did not work too!!!

I'm asking if yours works can you please tell me what video card you are using?
Many thanks in advance.

Another problem I am having is with the 2nd sub output.
It NEVER comes on! I have to change inputs to get it to work.
A major problem I am having is it will not hold it's settings.
Let me explain.
I have the .1 connected to my front 2x 15" subs
I have the .2 connected to my rear 2x 15" subs.

I tune the .1 one to my fronts with the distance control and a 80HZ sine wave till I get the loudest sound.
I do the exact same thing for the .2 sub out.
(This is a great way to tune in your speakers with the subs)
Once calibrated the bass is phenomenal!!!!

The problem is once I turn the unit off and then back on the settings remain the same but the bass is all screwed up and I must do it all over again.
It seems it will not hold it's settings.

Do any of you experience this?

Thanks
06:28 PM Liked: 238
post #2 of 8
09-20-2012 | Posts: 1,472
anyone?
Flash676's Avatar Flash676
07:16 PM Liked: 15
post #3 of 8
09-20-2012 | Posts: 114
My 3D works fine. I tested it with three different games in 3D at 1080p24. With the bypass on, the TV detects the 3D signal without any issue. I don't have any other 3D content to test with right now, but I don't see any reason why movies wouldn't work. I have a Radeon 7970 but do not use any sort of EDID override; is there any particular reason you are doing so? What type of 3D content are you playing and what software are you using? It took me a while to get it set up the first time.

I do have the issue with the second sub output, and it's been an issue with two different 7550's. Doing the factory reset seems to help at first, but the problem just returns. Changing inputs doesn't always solve the problem, I usually have to play the test tone in the speaker setup to get it to work.

I don't have any issues with the quantity of bass through the subs, however, the output of the subs will vary wildly depending on the surround mode selected and the source. Straight multi-channel PCM through my PC is probably 6 to 9dB quieter than some of the surround modes. 7-channel stereo is by far the loudest for my subs, but I assume this is because the low frequncies in all 7 channels is being sent to the subs simultaneously. Dolby volume also has a significant impact on the sound, it took a while getting things to sound right with it off. Previously I had the step-down 2600 model, and it did have an occasional problem were it seemed the quantity of bass would decrease or increase each time it was on.

I'm on my 3rd 7550HD right now. This one seems to have now developed a problem with the surround back right channel. I can hear constant noise through it, loud enough that it's audible several feet away. The receiver is nice when it works, but I admit I'm in the same boat as you and have a few chronic problems with it.
07:31 AM Liked: 238
post #4 of 8
09-22-2012 | Posts: 1,472
Flash, thanks so much for responding...I really appreciate it!
The ONLY reason I tried an EDID override is because when in bypass mode, I have no more sound.
My PC says no sound connected.
No problems when bypass is OFF.

I just tried a new motherboard, new CPU with intel 4000HD and I have the EXACT same problem.
Nothing changed.
I also tried a HD7750 card and it did not work too!

I have an RMA for my unit and asked the company for another unit and was told they had none.
They are going to fix it BUT I'm sure they will fail.
This is the 3rd time me bringing it to them for service. To me they are incompetent!

The only way to get it to work with 3D is to connect my videocard directly to the projector. That way it always works.
What I hate about that is I do not have the on-screen menu and I want it bad because my amp is in another room!

The advantage of connecting it directly to the projector is the image is alot nicer!!!!

So I'm back to 2 videocards now again mad.gif
reverse's Avatar reverse
09:46 AM Liked: 11
post #5 of 8
09-22-2012 | Posts: 324
I would try another brand AVR to see if you have the same problem or not regarding 3D in bypass mode with a HTPC. This will at least tell you if it's truly the HK causing the issue or something else in your system/settings. Just go to Best Buy and buy an open box receiver that you can quickly test out and return.
Flash676's Avatar Flash676
02:55 PM Liked: 15
post #6 of 8
09-22-2012 | Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

Flash, thanks so much for responding...I really appreciate it!
The ONLY reason I tried an EDID override is because when in bypass mode, I have no more sound.
My PC says no sound connected.
No problems when bypass is OFF.
I just tried a new motherboard, new CPU with intel 4000HD and I have the EXACT same problem.
Nothing changed.
I also tried a HD7750 card and it did not work too!
I have an RMA for my unit and asked the company for another unit and was told they had none.
They are going to fix it BUT I'm sure they will fail.
This is the 3rd time me bringing it to them for service. To me they are incompetent!
The only way to get it to work with 3D is to connect my videocard directly to the projector. That way it always works.
What I hate about that is I do not have the on-screen menu and I want it bad because my amp is in another room!
The advantage of connecting it directly to the projector is the image is alot nicer!!!!
So I'm back to 2 videocards now again mad.gif

Do you use the EDID override when connecting directly to the projector?

I don't think the problem itself is with 3D, I think the issue with 3D and the fact that you have no sound without EDID override are both symptoms of something that's wrong with the communication between devices.

How does your projector normally handle audio? Is the projector itself recognized as an audio device by Windows when connected directly to the PC? Since the bypass effectively sends signals through untouched, it's possible that if the projector itself isn't recognized as an audio device, that this could cause the receiver to go undetected as an audio device with the bypass on, causing no sound.

With the bypass off, what does Windows detect your display device as?
With bypass on, what does Windows detect your display device as?
06:26 AM Liked: 238
post #7 of 8
09-24-2012 | Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash676 View Post

Do you use the EDID override when connecting directly to the projector?
I don't think the problem itself is with 3D, I think the issue with 3D and the fact that you have no sound without EDID override are both symptoms of something that's wrong with the communication between devices.
How does your projector normally handle audio? Is the projector itself recognized as an audio device by Windows when connected directly to the PC? Since the bypass effectively sends signals through untouched, it's possible that if the projector itself isn't recognized as an audio device, that this could cause the receiver to go undetected as an audio device with the bypass on, causing no sound.
With the bypass off, what does Windows detect your display device as?
With bypass on, what does Windows detect your display device as?

Flash, those a great questions and will have to get back to you.
I will check and let you know...thanks so much for the tips. I really appreciate your feedback.

I'll get back to you and see what I find out tonight.
Thanks
01:14 PM Liked: 238
post #8 of 8
10-02-2012 | Posts: 1,472
Flash,

Just wanted to let you know all is well now.
I have a friend that works for Ferrari and asked to check my system and having nothing to loose I agreed.
Came back and all is good now...I have no idea what he did!

3D finally works with 1 video card biggrin.gif

thanks for your help...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread