ARC questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, I am an old guy that struggles with this new hi-fi stuff. That said I just upgraded my old Sony 6600 htib (I did say I was old) to a new Onkyo TX NR717 with some new Polk Audio fronts, center and sub. I have Polk surrounds and some older Klipsch in back. I have it set up 7.1. My tv is an older Mitsubishi WD-65732. The tv still works great so I am not going to get a new one until it is necessary. My video source is a set top box/DVR. It is HDMI from the DVR to the AVR. HDMI from the AVR to the tv. Everything seems to be working but I have not run the Audyssey set up program so it sounds a bit anemic thus far. My question is re. ARC. In the AVR literature (what happened to the paper owner's manual??) it states that if my tv does not support ARC I sould run an optical line from my tv back to the AVR. I do not have an optical out on my tv. The only digital out I have available is Digital Audio Out which is an RCA cable, I think. Is this only pertinent to 3D tv and should I make sure it is disabled in the AVR. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-21-2012, 09:52 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
If you have an older TV, unless you also have a roof antenna, there's likely no reason for you to have to pass the TV audio back to the 717 which is more common with newer Smart TVs that have WiFi capability with apps like Pandora, Hulu, Vudu, Netflix.

Also note there is a dedicated thread for 717 owners ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403172/onkyo-new-avrs-tx-nr818-717-616-official-discussion-no-price-talk-thread/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I would add that the Digital Audio Out (S/PDIF) jack that you're referring to is just like the optical out, and you'd just connect it to an RCA digital audio in on your AVR. But as JD said, that's only if you have any reason to play the TV's audio over the AVR, which probably isn't the case.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page