Marantz SR6006 Vs Parasound A52 Vs Emotiva XPA 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys I need your help in deciding the next addition to my system:
Currently I have a 2.1 setup (want to scale it to 5.1)
  1. Marantz SR6006
  2. Monitor Audio Apex 10
  3. Emotiva Xref 10"

And I wanted to know what Amp to add to this setup
  1. 5 Ch- Parasound A52 (125W) -$1700 Used I have no base line on what should be the price of this unit.
  2. 4 Ch- 2 X XPA 200 (125W) - $900
  3. 5 Ch- Emotiva XPA 5 (200W) - $800

Or just stay with SR6006.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 AM

What speakers are you using? That will depend what amp you will want. Bigger amp is not always better... Pairing them properly is key.

Marantz SR6006 out of the choices listed.

Oops, totally mis-read your post.

Go with the XPA-200. Much cleaner signal. Surrounds and center speakers require very little wattage.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have the A51 and an XPA-5. I would recommend the A52, you will not be unhappy with it.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #4 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 12:51 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

I have the A51 and an XPA-5. I would recommend the A52, you will not be unhappy with it.

Not picking a fight when I ask, why the A52 over the XPA-5?

FYI, in checking out the A52, Parasound has a referb for <$1,700.00
post #5 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Of course being a Parasound owner, count me in too as a vote for the A-52. Also, if your looking for a baseline, factory refreshed units can be had for under $1700. See attached. So used should be even less.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2PAHA52

I have bought several refreshed Parasound units and believe, I can't tell the difference between new and refreshed. Also you get a full warranty from an authorized dealer. How can you go wrong? Hope this helps.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #6 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Not picking a fight when I ask, why the A52 over the XPA-5?
FYI, in checking out the A52, Parasound has a referb for <$1,700.00

Thanks for asking - Some reasons I would offer would be Class A / AB operation, larger toroidal transformer and 40% more capicitance than Emotiva and a 5 year warranty (although I am not sure of Emotivas warranty is - it could be the same). Therefore, not knocking Emotiva at all - just making direct comparisons. Emotiva is a fine company that brings high value products to the market but they are an ID compnay and still rather young vs. Parasound that is over 20 years old and has been embraced by the film industry. I tend to stick with companies with long histories hoping they will be around a long time to take care of my warranty if ever needed. Finally, as I said before, Parasound is a personal preference because I am a current owner - I am hoping an A52 will be my next amp.
djrumour likes this.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #7 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

Thanks for asking - Some reasons I would offer would be Class A / AB operation, larger toroidal transformer and 40% more capicitance than Emotiva and a 5 year warranty (although I am not sure of Emotivas warranty is - it could be the same). Therefore, not knocking Emotiva at all - just making direct comparisons. Emotiva is a fine company that brings high value products to the market but they are an ID compnay and still rather young vs. Parasound that is over 20 years old and has been embraced by the film industry. I tend to stick with companies with long histories hoping they will be around a long time to take care of my warranty if ever needed. Finally, as I said before, Parasound is a personal preference because I am a current owner - I am hoping an A52 will be my next amp.

Thanks for the thoughtful thought.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershark View Post

What speakers are you using? That will depend what amp you will want. Bigger amp is not always better... Pairing them properly is key.
Marantz SR6006 out of the choices listed.
Oops, totally mis-read your post.
Go with the XPA-200. Much cleaner signal. Surrounds and center speakers require very little wattage.

Thanks for the ans... I am using Monitor Audio Apex 10 driven by Marantz 6006
Specs.
Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS): 25 - 100W
Power Handling (RMS): 100W

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/apex/a10/#/specification

I am thinking that these speakers are bit bright so i was leaning towards parasound A52 ( i didn't audition the setup personally) so will have to go with your advise. I may in future move to B&W CM1's

On the side note how much should be recommended power output from the amp to drive speakers which are rated at 100W (RMS) . I read somewhere that it should be twice the power say a 200W amp for a 100W RMS speaker and how does the Transformer rating pay in the equation (bigger the better?)

I am also keen on XPA-200 as its bit cheap (450 Vs 1700 for A52) and will use it for left and right rest all will be powered by the receiver.
And what care shuld i take when buying an amp off of CL (the parasound is A52 is for $1500 New in the box with receipt)
thanks.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM

Liked: 45
If your speakers are a bit bright, I'd stay away from Emotiva. I have the XPA-3 running some Paradigm Signature S6, and the S6 is a bit forward or bright. It was a bad combination, after much research I ended up with a Parasound A21 and can hear the difference. More texture/detail and somewhat warmer when compared to the Emo amp. Not sure if all Emo amps are the same, you could always buy and try for 30 days, but the Parasound Halo gear is better sounding with brighter speakers.
djrumour likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

If your speakers are a bit bright, I'd stay away from Emotiva. I have the XPA-3 running some Paradigm Signature S6, and the S6 is a bit forward or bright. It was a bad combination, after much research I ended up with a Parasound A21 and can hear the difference. More texture/detail and somewhat warmer when compared to the Emo amp. Not sure if all Emo amps are the same, you could always buy and try for 30 days, but the Parasound Halo gear is better sounding with brighter speakers.

any words of wisdom when buying apms from individual owners?
post #11 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrumour View Post

any words of wisdom when buying apms from individual owners?

If you know them, audition the Amp. If you don't know them, proof of ownership and audition the Amp. You can't know if something works unless you plug the object into a power outlet and flip the power switch to on. In the case of an amplifier, the only way one can know anything is to either scope it out or hook it up.
djrumour likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

one more question will i hear any difference if i put parasound in the setup since its not much of watt difference 110W to 125W?
post #13 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Liked: 45
The watt difference will not make a difference.
jphilip likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:

You cant really compare the Emotiva XPA series to the HALO line from parasound. Two different intentions for each line. You need to compare the Emotiva XPR series to the HALO line. Which is a more even intended fight, since both lines are cost-no-object.

Not saying Parasound or Emotiva aren't good. But Parasound is a more distinguished company due to history. Emotiva is a young company. But between the XPA-5 and Model 5250 V.2 - The parasound still has better specs and looks better on paper, BUT, I would take the Emotiva XPA-5 simply because of value for money. Roughly $899 for the XPA-5 vs $2850 for the Model 5250 v2.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page