Denon Professional DN-500AV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anyone have any experience with the Denon Professional DN-500AV? I am looking for a good quality no frills Pre / Pro that can handle HDMI and have XLR out to power my Mackie studio monitors. Looks like street price is around $1K which puts it quite a bit below anything else I have seen. It looks like the only thing it doesn't do is auto room correction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 26 Old 10-28-2012, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm also considering getting this pre-amp so any experiences or hands on is much appreciated. Seems like it's just so new that nobody has reviewed it yet.
post #4 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 PM

I've been using one for the last several weeks albeit in a post-production context. It's a great unit. The sound quality is noticeably cleaner in the highs and high-mids than the consumer Denon unit I was using previously.

I have no real complaints so far. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them for you.
post #5 of 26 Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

That's good to hear. I really just want the cleanest sound I can get through the Mackie HR824s. The things that are drawing me to this pre/pro are the balanced audio outs and the price. I've already wired my room with in wall balanced audio cables for the Mackies so the XLR outs are a must. The only thing I am hesitant on is the no room correction (Audyssey, TacT, etc). I've never used any correction so I don't know if I'd really miss it. Although, my room is a goofy shape.

I wonder if it would be worth spending another half again for a Marantz AV7005 or the new Emotiva XMC-1 whenever it comes out just for some room correction? I've heard there are issues with the balanced outs of the Marantz not being as clean as the unbalanced RCAs and the Emo is so new, who knows what that will really be like and how many bugs it will have.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM

I just read the discussion here, and I'm also looking for a "simple" 5.1 pre with XLR outputs...did you decide on which to get? Or still waiting for the XMC? =) Theres a possible UMC-500 xlr out perhaps as well, but don't know when it'll be released. Was rumored to be released now in Jan 2013 for about $1k.

I'm curious about the denon as well...seems like it has manual room correction though so I'm almost willing to let that part pass...The marantz xlr-problems, are they any serious or just rumros? Almost thought I'd go for that one....

Any recommendations on where to get the denon? I live in Sweden and these things are always a lot more expensive here, but I'm going to the states soon, may be able to pick one up...

Also, if the emo umc-500 is $1k, it had better have something the denon doesn't have...denon is a more recognized brand, and emo is supposed to provide value.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-27-2013, 11:24 PM

Hi Bacon13. I'm using the dn-500av for home cinema- with 824's as my side speakers, a dolby lake for eq and lab gruppen for power.
Very much enjoying the denon. Good sound. I find the 4 quick select buttons on the front useful. Xlr sockets are of a reasonable quality. I'm pleased I bought it really.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm on the fence too for purchasing. Got an older Onkyo PR-SC885 but was wanting 3D capability and keeping my balanced outputs. I always use external power amps so I'm so close. Whoa!! I just has the most important thing go through my mind. I used to have the previous version of this unit the 7100 I think and it had a real bug that would not annoy most but it sure did me. That previous unit could not direct the center channel to the front L & R mains. Yes, can you believe it, couldn't be done!! Can one of you try to see if there is a setting for NO center channel on this DN-500AV please and see if it gets redirected into the mains!
post #9 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 AM

Liked: 19
Very interested in this unit as well... I currently have an older Parasound 7100 with no hdmi and manual room control. I bought the 7100 used about 4 years ago, and I just lost the LFE channel on the 7.1 outs - probably not worth the money to get repaired, unless I sell it off right after. I think it is time for some new features, finally. 1.4a HDMI for my 3D projector, XLR outs (i have mostly pro audio amps in my system, QSC and Mackie), and I use an enclosed server rack for my AV equipment, so the rackmount kit is a BIG plus. I can get rid of one of the shelves in my cabinet, or use it for something else.

My biggest concern though, is al this banter about the Denon/Marantz XLR hum issues I've been reading about - are the XLR outs on this thing TRUE balanced connections that will mate with standard pro audio equipment? Being this is more a prosumer model, hopefully the XLR connections would be configured properly for use with any pro amp...

I really like that this pre-pro is fairly basic, with not a lot of frills or extra, unneeded connections. High on my list for possible purchase!

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #10 of 26 Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 PM

Well, I decided to go ahead and upgrade my Processor, so I did order one of these DN-500AV processors from Denon Professional, and should be receiving it by the end of next week. After I get it installed and tested, I will post back up on here my impressions.

I found it was just a loose connection that was causing the LFE signal dropout on my Parasound 7100 (see my previous post), so the issue was not with the processor. But, I was so much anticipating upgrading my hardware by now that I decided to go for it anyway... cool.gif

Currently in my rack I am using two Rane SM-26 splitter/mixers for discrete line-level adjustments of each channel; now that I'm moving over to XLR connections, I purchased two Behringer MX882 splitter/mixers to replace the Ranes - the MX882 are basically the XLR equivalent of the Ranes. And then, of couse, I had to order 15 new XLR patch cables to connect it all together properly...

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #11 of 26 Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Received the DN-500AV on Wednesday, took a few pics of it. Will rack it later this weekend.

Photo 1 (Click to show)
Photo 2 (Click to show)
Photo 3 (Click to show)
Photo 4 (Click to show)

post #12 of 26 Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 PM

Nice, let us know how it sounds!
post #13 of 26 Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 AM

OK, here's a few more photos of the racking sequence:

My A/V rack before installation: Photo 5 (Click to show)

Denon Prepro installed, Rane SM26's removed: Photo 6 (Click to show)

One of my new Behringer MX-882's to replace the Ranes, for Balanced XLR connections. Photo 7 (Click to show)

Completed Install: Photo 8 (Click to show)

I was using the 2 Rane SM26 units as individual buffered channel-level controls - I like the convenience of physical control knobs over adjusting levels within the processor memory. It comes in really handy to be able adjust levels on the fly during a movie. The top Rane controlled the 5 main surround channels FR, FL, C, RR, and RL, and the bottom Rane was configured as a splitter to split the LFE channel into 3 separate level-controlled outputs, one for my 15" sub, one for my Dual 18" sub, and one for the 3 seat shakers under the sofa seats. The Ranes used 1/4" mono connections, and I was getting a fairly noticible ground-loop hum on the LFE channels.

The new Behringer MX-882 units do the exact same thing as the Ranes, except all their connections are balanced XLR, and my ground-loop hum has diminished to almost negligilble levels. So that in itself has improved the sound.

The Denon Professional Prepro sounds really good, but it is hard for me to tell what exactly has made the sonic improvements - the prepro itself, or the change to XLR all around. I have gone from 7.1 analog connections from both the Oppo 93 and the Parasound 7100 processor, to all HDMI connections for audio. Also, I have gone from Consumer-level -10dBv RCA outputs on the Parasound to Balanced XLR +4dBu outputs on the Denon, so I no longer have the line level mismatch between consumer and pro audio equipment any more. All of these changes have altered the sound of my system somewhat I'm sure. The Biggest change in my system though, is that the LFE channel sounds SO much stronger and cleaner, I have crisp and powerful bass now, and the ground-loop hum is all but gone.

As an FYI, I purchased inexpensive Monoprice XLR cables to use for all my connections, and did not have any sound issues with the new cabling - the only cable I had to change the wiring for was the Speakon connector on the cable from my Powerlight 218 amp to the dual 18" sub, because I am using bridged mono mode and so had to move the 1- wire to the 2+ connection for bridged mode. The Speakon connector has screw terminals for this, so it was a very quick and easy re-wire.

All in all, I am very happy with the improvements to my system, and I really like the controls I have with the new Denon. It was well worth the upgrade! cool.gif

post #14 of 26 Old 05-15-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

I'm on the fence too for purchasing. Got an older Onkyo PR-SC885 but was wanting 3D capability and keeping my balanced outputs. I always use external power amps so I'm so close. Whoa!! I just has the most important thing go through my mind. I used to have the previous version of this unit the 7100 I think and it had a real bug that would not annoy most but it sure did me. That previous unit could not direct the center channel to the front L & R mains. Yes, can you believe it, couldn't be done!! Can one of you try to see if there is a setting for NO center channel on this DN-500AV please and see if it gets redirected into the mains!

Tyee: According to page 65 and 66 of the user manual, which you can download from the Deneon Professional website, you can turn off all of the channels except the front mains - Center, Subwoofer, Surrounds, Rear surrounds, Height Surrounds. Each can be set to Large, Small, or Off. Logically, I would assume that means any audio going to speakers that are set to 'Off' are redirected to the rest of the speakers appropriately, but the manual does not specifically state that. So you should not have any issue if you use no Center channel. I can test turning off the Center channel on mine when I get a chance, if you really want to be sure.

post #15 of 26 Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Yes, please do a quick test, I would appreciate it!
post #16 of 26 Old 05-21-2013, 05:48 AM

OK, I'll test that out for you - hopefully tonight if I get a chance...

BTW - Here's two more photos of my finished install for everyone - my Two Towers of Power!: biggrin.gif

Photo 9 (Click to show)
Photo 10 (Click to show)

post #17 of 26 Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 AM

SO has anyone else purchased one of these? I'm curious to see what others think of this processor...

post #18 of 26 Old 10-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 11

Just picked up a DN-500AV and 5 Cerwin Vega CV-900 Amps. I too have them connected by XLR. Each front channel and the center have a dedicated amp set in parallel and the surround and surround back channels each get a amp in stereo.  This new setup sounds amazing, I have yet to stretch their capabilities.

I have some noise in my Subwoofer LFE, but I was using the cheapest POS RCA cable I could probably have gotten. I have ordered an XLR sub cable in a hope to solve it.

I am currently trying to figure out how to properly setup the Premp - Amp Gain relationship. I was thinking about setting the Denon to -10db and then adjusting the gain to find if there is a maximum before clipping. Any thoughts?

post #19 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 05:57 PM

Hi all,

just looking to get some thoughts on this receiver.

I am looking into getting a DN-500AV for 5.1 surround sound using the XLR outputs to my JBL 4300 speakers.

couple of things I wondering:

1.) Aside from using the HDMI from my PC, blue ray etc, I have a DJ mixer which outputs stereo on XLR. I notice this receiver has XLR input, which is what I would use to connect my DJ mixer to it. Can this be configured to output the sound on all the surround speakers - or would the stereo signal which is input from the XLR in, only come out the left and right speakers?

2.) Would music from a PC which is connected via HDMI be output on all speakers, or just on the left/right/sub.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Twids

post #20 of 26 Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twids View Post

Hi all,

just looking to get some thoughts on this receiver.

I am looking into getting a DN-500AV for 5.1 surround sound using the XLR outputs to my JBL 4300 speakers.

couple of things I wondering:

1.) Aside from using the HDMI from my PC, blue ray etc, I have a DJ mixer which outputs stereo on XLR. I notice this receiver has XLR input, which is what I would use to connect my DJ mixer to it. Can this be configured to output the sound on all the surround speakers - or would the stereo signal which is input from the XLR in, only come out the left and right speakers?

2.) Would music from a PC which is connected via HDMI be output on all speakers, or just on the left/right/sub.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Twids

You can use any input (XLR, HDMI, or Optical) to a Multi-Channel Stereo mode. It mixes the Left and Right for the Center and duplicates the stereo signal to the left and right surround speakers. It also produces and LFE signal for the subwoofer. It works very well in my opinion.

Twids likes this.
post #21 of 26 Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushimp View Post

You can use any input (XLR, HDMI, or Optical) to a Multi-Channel Stereo mode. It mixes the Left and Right for the Center and duplicates the stereo signal to the left and right surround speakers. It also produces and LFE signal for the subwoofer. It works very well in my opinion.

Excellent. Thanks Rushimp.

post #22 of 26 Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 PM

Does the AVS store sell this model??
post #23 of 26 Old 03-19-2014, 08:15 PM

Hey guys, I'm relatively new here, but I was looking into this model and was wondering, when I use it in a 2 channel music listening mode, I have a Behringer EQ (ULTRAGRAPH FBQ-PRO FBQ3102) I'd like to connect to it, which has balanced XLR inputs / outputs, I was wondering if the Denon 500AV has a way to use an external processor...from what I can tell there's no external processor loop, nor tape monitor loop, how would I integrate this EQ into my system with the 500AV? I also have a Denon tape player that I'm using the XLR outs on to connect to the XLR inputs of the 500AV but don't want to lose this connection...what are my options?
post #24 of 26 Old 05-25-2014, 10:15 AM

Any review of this? I am thinking to buy to use with Oppo BDP 105 with JR 149 speaker(fully modified) and 5 various Quad amp. (405, 909, 520).

Thank you.
post #25 of 26 Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just ordered one of these, coming in the mail mid next week. I noticed something I will lose though, a radio tuner. Not a big loss I guess, I'm upgrading from a Yamaha RX-V661 which I was using on unbalanced preamp outputs to studio monitors. I think the XLR signal should come through much crisper than unbalanced. Anything this receiver is missing, over more expensive models?
post #26 of 26 Old Today, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I upgraded the firmware after I got it. If any of you have this receiver and haven't done that, I highly recommend it. The new features it gave really improved my experience working with it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page