Possible (and worth it) to repair Sony GX69ES or GX67ES? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-21-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have two Sony receivers, GX69ES and GX67ES, which have the same problem. There is intermittent noise in either one or both channels that does not vary with the volume control, and after the unit is on for a while the sound cuts out completely and there is a blinking red "P" on the display.

I asked at a local repair shop and the guy says it might be a problem in the preamp stage and, if so, that's about $150 to fix (one unit, which is all I need).

These are units from the early 1990s, both of which I bought used. I started with the 69, but after it developed the problem I got the 67, which I've had for maybe a year, but now it's got the same problem. I've used them in stereo mode only, not multichannel. Sound-wise, I like them a lot.

I'm thinking that since both units are malfunctioning in the same way, this may be a common problem, and someone might know whether this is the sort of thing that can be repaired, or whether, say, the units are too old and liable to fail again.

Incidentally, I have been running the preamp output to a sub controller and then feed the output of that back into the main in. Sometimes I wonder whether that setup is causing a problem, although I'm pretty sure I have it configured correctly.

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM

Liked: 11
The P means it goes into protect mode. Did you try the unit without the preouts to see if it happens?
post #3 of 8 Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. Yes, the 69 does go into protect mode even when I don't have the sub connected. There are jumpers that connect the pre out to the main in. Eventually I was using the 69 without speakers, just to drive headphones. It would still go into protect mode (and was noisy).
post #4 of 8 Old 09-22-2012, 01:29 PM

Man, sorry that you're having to go through all that because they look like some pretty neat vintage gear. Well, the manual is on the internet and in the troubleshooting section it says impedance or a short-circuit will cause it to go into protect mode. If it's a short circuit issue it recommends "eliminating" it but doesn't list any possible reasons. The most basic thing to do would be disconnect anything going into it and try different interconnects but you probly already did that. I think it's better if you asked the people at agoraquest about this. http://www.agoraquest.com/viewforum.php?forum=51

If you like it try to get it fixed or get another one but try agoraquest first.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-22-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Alec, I didn't know about agoraquest and I appreciate the link. Let me ask a related question. If I wanted to get a new replacement unit that would sound as good as this, what could I get? I am using the receiver with two NHT SB1 speakers plus an NHT SubOne. I use the headphone output most of the time (with Sennheiser HD600), so it's especially important to me that the headphone output sound good. I have owned low-end Sony receivers in the past, and this is obviously much better (I can hear individual melodic lines more easily with the ES units). I don't actually need multichannel. So what 2-channel receiver would be in the same league as this? Would, for example, a Harmon Kardon HK 3490 be at the same level as a Sony ES receiver?

I am assuming that a lower-powered receiver such as the Onkyo TX-8255 (50 wpc, vs. 100 for the ES) would not drive my SB1's as well (the speaker manufacturer recommends 15 watts minimum, 125 watts maximum). But maybe I'm wrong about that.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
post #6 of 8 Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDeB View Post

Thanks Alec, I didn't know about agoraquest and I appreciate the link. Let me ask a related question. If I wanted to get a new replacement unit that would sound as good as this, what could I get? I am using the receiver with two NHT SB1 speakers plus an NHT SubOne. I use the headphone output most of the time (with Sennheiser HD600), so it's especially important to me that the headphone output sound good. I have owned low-end Sony receivers in the past, and this is obviously much better (I can hear individual melodic lines more easily with the ES units). I don't actually need multichannel. So what 2-channel receiver would be in the same league as this? Would, for example, a Harmon Kardon HK 3490 be at the same level as a Sony ES receiver?
I am assuming that a lower-powered receiver such as the Onkyo TX-8255 (50 wpc, vs. 155 for the ES) would not drive my SB1's as well, even though the speaker manufacturer recommends 15 watts minimum, 125 watts maximum. But maybe I'm wrong about that.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

If you only require 2-Channels, the 3490 is an excellent choice..
Great features, very reliable, bullet-proof, good sounding, high-current amplifiers..
Rumor is.. cool.gif
This model will be out of production in the near future, but new stock is still available now..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Mark, unfortunately sony doesn't make ES stereo receivers anymore. I think the last one was the 1500ES. A sony receiver in the same league, that is one with a similar sound to the ones you have, would be a GXxxES model made around the same time (early 90s). An ES surround receiver made later is another option. They're usually better than sony standard models. I wish I would have went with the DA333ES instead of the DB1080 because it had more grunt and clarity. So for a sony a few options might be the DA777ES, DA7ES or DA3100ES. I can't say anything about the HK because I'm just not familiar with HK products.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to you both for your responses. Let me correct a detail in something I posted. These ES receivers are 100 watts per channel RMS (not 155).

Best,

Mark
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page