AVR Upgrade advice needed....please.... - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-21-2012, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new AVR in the near future and I just wanted some advice. I don't know all the techno mumbo jumbo about AVR's, so I'm a newbie to this kind of stuff. I just bought my surround speakers, so my 5 speaker setup is finished. I plan to keep this 5 speaker setup for a while until I actually move into a bigger house and build a legit home theater room. The speakers I currently have are: polk cs20 center, 2 polk tsi 500 front left and right, and 2 polk tsi 200 surrounds. I may get another pair of the tsi 200s so I'll have a full 7 speaker set up before I think about upgrading the speakers because I honestly think they sound great and I'd rather put my money into a great AVR, subwoofers, and room treatments before I upgrade the speakers because I think they sound great.

All I want my new AVR to do is to have enough clean power to properly run all of my speakers and great sound and picture quality. I don't want my new AVR to struggle to power my speakers. I'm currently running an Onkyo 509, and I know it doesn't offer enough pure, clean power needed to power all of these speakers. All I use my AVR for is blu ray movies, netflix, xbox 360, and a little music, so I really don't need all the fancy things they come with nowadays, but I would REALLY like if it had a great calibration system, and one that can correctly calibrate 2 subwoofers, since I'm going to have 2 subwoofers in my system someday. I really am an Onkyo fan, but I am open to other suggestions.

I just want to know from you guys what AVR's I should be looking at to power my current setup properly, and slightly future proof obviously.

$2000 and below and everything in between....what AVR's would you guys suggest I look into?? Thanks in advance

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 05:46 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
The Denon 4311CI (9.2, 140W) is currently on clearance and available at just over 1/2 your budget. It uses the most advanced version of Audyssey (MultEQ XT32) and also uses Sub EQ HT for dual sub integration. Note also that your 509 uses the lowest version of Audyssey which cannot EQ the sub at all, while any version above that (ie. MultEQ, MultEQ XT, MultEQ XT32) can EQ the sub.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I second jds's comment, the 4311ci is a great AVR and you get a lot for your money right now.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #4 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If your current AVR has pre outs, you might also consider using it as the front end and buying a high power/high-current multi-channel power amp (5-ch or 7-ch).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page