Basic receiver with 2 zones and 6 speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just moved into a new home. It is pre-wired for sound with 2 speakers in the living room, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the dining room, and 2 on the back deck. I would like to split this into 2 zones (one zone for the 4 indoor speakers and one zone for the 2 outdoor speaker).

I will only use the speakers for music (and maybe a football game every now and then) and will not be playing it very loud as I have neighbors very close. While I am a techie, I am not an audiophile. So, I really just need a basic receiver that can drive 2 zones (one 4 speaker zone, one 2 speaker zone).

Any suggestions on a basic receiver? I searched around and also looked through forum posts, but discussions on multi zone configurations are usually much more complicated than mine. Most of the basic multi zone receivers I have seen seem to only allow have 2 zones with 2 speakers each. Is there a basic receiver with 2 zones that supports 6 speakers?

Some additional info:
Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Liked: 11
"Cheap" means different things for different people. I think most will be able to give you better suggestions if they know your budget.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Sure Benso, I would like to stay under $500, preferably closer to $300 since I will be purchasing 2 receivers. Reasonable?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Still stuck on this one. Perhaps the experts can help? smile.gif

I am looking for a receiver that can drive 5.1 inside and 2 stereo speakers outside. I believe I need a receiver with a speaker A/B option to do this from the same source or a "powered second zone" if I want to drive the outside speakers from a different source (e.g., iPod) without an external amp. Please call me out if this is wrong.

I have narrowed my options down to the below.
  1. Denon AVR-1913 - no real differentiators, but it has a powered second zone and appears to have better reliability than the Onkyos; $430
  2. Onkyo TX-NR515 - also considered 616; seems to have reliability issues; $330
  3. Sony STR-DN1030 - can't see justifying the cost without powered second zone for my setup $490
  4. VSX-1022-K - A Cheap A/B option that still has AirPlay; seems better than the Onkyo TXNR-414 given the reliability issues; $250

I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison since this spans a ~$250 price range, but any advice to help me pick one? Did I miss anything?

FWIW, I will be purchasing 2 of these (1 for upstars gameroom/deck, 1 for downstairs to play music inside and outside).

Really appreciate any and all input !! smile.gif
Old 11-17-2012, 06:40 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked: 1748
The 1913 uses the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ which can EQ the sub, while the 515 uses the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the sub. Also note that in all the above cases, only analog external devices and on board sources (eg. Pandora, interenet radio, Spotify, Airplay) can go to Zone 2 (ie. no optical or HDMI sources), so you must connect an analog red/white cable from the source in addition to the HDMI cable.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! That's really useful information. I did not know that. I am going to go with the 1913.