Setting up Dennon 3312 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I have bought a Denon AVR 3312 and Bose Aqoustimas 10 System recently (yet to be delivered). Have been reading some online forums and it did not take me too long to realise how little I know about this field. Being a complete novice in this area, looking for some advice on how to set things up.

Before I start my questions, let me mention what equipments I have - LG DVD player, LG HD STB and Satellite Dish Receiver.

1. I understand I need to connect LG DVD Player, LG HD STB and Satellite Dish Receiver to the AVR and then connect the AVR to the LCD TV using a HDMI cable. Both my DVD player and Satellite Dish Receiver do not have HDMI connection. Can I use Component or other connections to connect with AVR?

2. I want to use the 2nd Zone function on my AVR to play music on the backyard deck. I am looking at running speaker wires directly from the AVR to a pair of Studio Acoustics SA360a 165 mm ceiling mounted speakers on the porch. Is that the way to do it? Do I need anything else (like a separate AMP) to play music on the deck area?

3. Does Denon 3312 support more than 2 zones? If it does, do I follow the same process to set up the 3rd zone?

4. I want to play music from my computer on Denon 3312 using the ethernet connection. I read on an online forum suggesting using a NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter. Is that the simplest way to do that?

5. What additional equipment I need to buy to watch/listen online content (Youtube etc) on this system? Currently I am connecting my laptop direct to TV and watch online content using the WiFi. I have a 2Wire Gateway Router (it has 4 ethernet ports).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Welcome to AVS Forum. smile.gif

If you haven't already received the Bose setup, refuse delivery and return it as you can get much better setups for the same price or less.

1. Yes, the AVR supports component--> HDMI conversion.
2. With only a 5.1 setup in the main zone, you can use the Surr Back/Amp Assign speaker posts to power Zone 2 speakers.
3. Yes, although an external 2CH amp would be required to power Zone 3 speakers with the amp connected to the Zone 3 pre-outs.
4. Most reliable way would be a "wired" connection to the WiFi router, otherwise a bridge as you suggest would be another option.
5. Connect the PC directly to the AVR or if the TV supports smart apps, use the ARC feature to pass the TV's audio back to the AVR.

Also note there's a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX12 owner's linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 for additional helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 6 Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I also have read the threads you suggested. Seems I have been missing out on a whole different world. LOL.

Now I have some other questions based on your response. Hope you can help me with some suggestions.

6. None of my AV equipments are new and they do not come with the HDMI connection. I know that I have to replace them eventually - but at this moment I need to connect three of these non-HDMI equipment (STB, DVD Player, Digital Satellite Receiver) to the Denon 3312 AVR. Looking at the diagram of the rear panel of the AVR, I can see there are two component input connections. How do I connect the third equipment? Please note all three equipment has component connection with the DVD Player having S Vidoe, Coaxial Digital Audio Out and Optical Digital Audio Out; STB having DVI, RGB, S Video, Coaxial Digital Audio Out, and Optical Audio Out.

7. I read in other threads that Zone 2 does not play HDMI inputs. Is that correct? If it is - I am OK currently since all my AV equipment would be non-HDMI. But in future if I upgrade to products with HDMI connection, how would I play them on Zone 2? A possible solution can be running the TV audio through the AVR. Please note, the TV is not a smart one and it does not come with ARC features (as mentioned in your reply # 5). What would be the alternative way to run the TV audio through the AVR?

8. If I want to play online content on the AVR without connecting the computer direct to the AVR, what can be possible solution? Will buying a media centre help? I also like to have additional functions like storage of media content and recording of content received over STB or Stallite Receiver. Do you recommend any specific or combination of products? I am not after something beru high end. Mid-range but can do the job is fine with me.

Regards.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM
585-645-1006

6. Add a component video switch ---> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10112&cs_id=1011201&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=2

7. Correct. Same way as you will now (ie. via analog audio cables in addition to the HDMI cable). Most current model TVs have an optical audio output that can be connected to the AVR, however, unless there are smart apps on the TV or unless using a roof antenna, there's likely no reason to pass the TV audio back to the AVR.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_M

8. The 3312CI, when connected to the house's WiFi router, can play internet radio and Pandora as well as Airplay can be used to stream the audio from the PC, smart phone, or iPad also connected to the WiFi network.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

I have received my DENON 3312 and BOSE ACOUSTIMAS 10 Speaker System. Spent a few hours to set them up - the time consuming part was getting the hardware connected as all my other equipment are old-models. I realise I need to replace them one by one. frown.gif

Having the DENON AVR XX12 Guide from this forum was very handy for setting up. Thanks jdsmoothie!

I have a few more questions ....

1. Denon Remote App: I could not get it working from my iPhone. Do I need to have the AVR connected to wifi for this to work? I am yet to have the wifi connected. Is there any step by step guide avaialable?

2. Airplay: I could not have the Airplay working. I downloaded the iHome Connect 1.0.1 from App Store. Is this the one? When I was installing it asked me to connect with the USB port. But nothing happened after that.

3. In Sound Setup there are a number of options - 2 Ch, all channel, dolby pro logic etc. Which option implies what features?

4. Having some difficulty in getting the remote programmed with other equipment. Though old but both my STB and DVD Player are LG. Is it due to old modelled equipment?

5. Having the speakers set up on the side wall or back wall is difficult (and expensive too) given the room setup. If I pul all the speakers on the same wall around the TV - can Audessey configure them for surround sound affect? And how bad the sound quality would be compared to if they are put on the back wall?

Thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 AM
585-645-1006

1. Yes, the remote app works off of your home's WiFi router so the AVR must be connected to it in order for the iphone to communicate with it. Follow the network connection procedures listed in the Owner's manual.
2. Connect the AVR to the network.
3. With only those listed options, it means the signal being received is a 2CH signal, so if you want to simulate 5.1 audio, select the DD PLII mode.
4. There are only a select number of device codes pre-stored in the AVR's remote. If not listed, your best bet is to purchase a Harmony remote which can then control all of your devices ... the AVR, the TV, and your source devices.
5. May be easier to just consider a 3.1 setup. If wiring side surrounds is the issue, consider "wireless" side surrounds.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page