Confused by my new Yamaha receiver, please help... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, I bought a Yamaha HYR-7065(An RX-V773 equivalent) from Costco yesterday. I ran the YPAO multi-listening setup for 5 positions, basically just 5 seats on two different couches. I then tested out some tv and noticed this annoying kind of digital sound coming from my center. I went back into the audio setup and saw that the Parametric EQ was set to Flat. I tried the different settings and found that I like it without the parametric eq. The problem is that the volume is way too low with it off. And, add to that, Yamaha tech support told me that if I turned off the EQ that I may as well have to used the YPAO setup. He also claimed that if I set all my speakers as small so all the bass would go to my two subs, that it was wrong and would also mess up YPAO. Is this true? I am coming from an Onkyo TX-SR608(has HDMI issues and out of warranty), where it seemed to have more power than this receiver. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 470
1) You can use GEQ instead of PEQ. I've owned a Yamaha AVR and preferred this to the PEQ setting.
2) Setting your speakers to small will divert lower frequencies based on the cross-over you have set (40 Hz, 60 Hz, 80 Hz etc.). It won't "mess up" YPAO.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 18 Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

1) You can use GEQ instead of PEQ. I've owned a Yamaha AVR and preferred this to the PEQ setting.
2) Setting your speakers to small will divert lower frequencies based on the cross-over you have set (40 Hz, 60 Hz, 80 Hz etc.). It won't "mess up" YPAO.

That's weird the Yamaha tech swore up and down that if I changed anything that I would somehow null the measurements. I am looking at the manual and do not see a graphic eq, am I missing something? Also, with this receiver, from looking at the manual, it only allows me to set the speakers to small, but not a specific number like the Onkyo and Sony receivers that I had prior to this one.

Edit: I talked to another Yamaha tech this afternoon and like you said, changing the the PEQ will not ruin the measurements. I am still not sure where the GEQ is though.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the Yamaha A820 and from my experience, doing more than 2 YPAO multi position calibrations made the audio sound terrible. One or two positions sounded much better.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Edit: I talked to another Yamaha tech this afternoon and like you said, changing the the PEQ will not ruin the measurements. I am still not sure where the GEQ is though.

The menu options of my AVR might be slightly different. What options do you have in the equalizer section (PEQ, etc)?

post #6 of 18 Old 09-25-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37 View Post

I had the Yamaha A820 and from my experience, doing more than 2 YPAO multi position calibrations made the audio sound terrible. One or two positions sounded much better.

I did 5 positions again last night, 3 on the main couch facing the center and tv, I did not do the couch on the left because it is at an angle. I then did position four and five, even though there are no chairs, again with my bogen tripod at ear height. I was unhappy with the lack of sound coming from my Infinity Primus surrounds. What really bothered me was that even though I have a Polk SW505 sub and Paradigm PDR 12(V2 I believe), there no bass. The system had set all of my speakers to large..so I set all of them to small and there still almost no bass. I am not a bass head, by I would like to feel some bass and it was pretty much none existant. I saw that the YPAO had set the sub to 100hz for the crossover and I tried setting it to 80hz and there was little difference. Coming from an Onkyo and my Audyssey 2EQ, I am pretty disappointed. What receiver do you have now?
Quote:

The menu options of my AVR might be slightly different. What options do you have in the equalizer section (PEQ, etc)?

Well looking at the manual(I am at work), there is Manual, YPAO:Flat, YPAO:Front, YPAO:Natural, and Through. I don't like how the receiver adds this weird echo to my center channel and would like to turn off the parametric eq, but the overall volume from the receiver drops too much.

post #7 of 18 Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 173
There's no GEQ any more, because the 773 gained manual PEQ that wasn't on the previous year's model. That makes manual EQ a bit more confusing, but as long as you don't change the default frequencies or Q factor of the filters then manual PEQ will behave like the old GEQ.

It's not normal that the YPAO PEQ should give you the effect you're hearing from the centre, or that it should drastically alter the volume. With PEQ set to Through (which is off) what's you're problem with the volume? It doesn't really matter where you have to set the master volume as long as you can turn it up enough.

If turning on YPAO makes the big difference you hear, then it would be interesting to look at the filter settings that it's using. You can view the measurement results for YPAO Flat or Natural, and if it boosted a lot of frequencies by large amounts I suppose it could have significantly affected the volume, but that would be unusual.

Simply setting YPAO to Through will not change the speaker levels that YPAO chose, and it's OK to manually set all speakers to small (but then you need to check that the crossover frequency is set to something appropriate).
post #8 of 18 Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post

I did 5 positions again last night, 3 on the main couch facing the center and tv, I did not do the couch on the left because it is at an angle. I then did position four and five, even though there are no chairs, again with my bogen tripod at ear height. I was unhappy with the lack of sound coming from my Infinity Primus surrounds. What really bothered me was that even though I have a Polk SW505 sub and Paradigm PDR 12(V2 I believe), there no bass. The system had set all of my speakers to large..so I set all of them to small and there still almost no bass. I am not a bass head, by I would like to feel some bass and it was pretty much none existant. I saw that the YPAO had set the sub to 100hz for the crossover and I tried setting it to 80hz and there was little difference. Coming from an Onkyo and my Audyssey 2EQ, I am pretty disappointed. What receiver do you have now?

I bought the Onkyo 818 last week. It's hooked up but I haven't run the sound calibration yet. First thing I did was watch some parts of "Terminator Salvation" and that put a smile on my face. I can honestly say that the sound on the Onkyo is better. My plan was to go for the higher end Yamaha A2020 in case the Onkyo didn't do it for me. As long as it doesn't have any reliability issues, it's staying with me.

Have you tried just 2 positions with the Yamaha? You might like the sound with only 2 positions. Maybe it's the way my room is setup but multi position YPAO definitely didn't work for me. I would have kept mine but with all the positive reviews for the Onkyo 818, I had to try it.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

There's no GEQ any more, because the 773 gained manual PEQ that wasn't on the previous year's model. That makes manual EQ a bit more confusing, but as long as you don't change the default frequencies or Q factor of the filters then manual PEQ will behave like the old GEQ.
It's not normal that the YPAO PEQ should give you the effect you're hearing from the centre, or that it should drastically alter the volume. With PEQ set to Through (which is off) what's you're problem with the volume? It doesn't really matter where you have to set the master volume as long as you can turn it up enough.
If turning on YPAO makes the big difference you hear, then it would be interesting to look at the filter settings that it's using. You can view the measurement results for YPAO Flat or Natural, and if it boosted a lot of frequencies by large amounts I suppose it could have significantly affected the volume, but that would be unusual.
Simply setting YPAO to Through will not change the speaker levels that YPAO chose, and it's OK to manually set all speakers to small (but then you need to check that the crossover frequency is set to something appropriate).

I will have to see again how Through sounds again I guess. I will also look at how the frequencies are boosted by PEQ Flat and Natural and see what it is doing. As for crossover frequency I was thinking of setting it at 80hz or 100hz, my Paradigm Pantom V2's can go down to 40hz, but I would rather that my subs do all the work. Also, when calibrating should I have had only one sub connected? I realized that when I ran the calibration that both subs were connected and that might have confused YPAO?
Quote:

I bought the Onkyo 818 last week. It's hooked up but I haven't run the sound calibration yet. First thing I did was watch some parts of "Terminator Salvation" and that put a smile on my face. I can honestly say that the sound on the Onkyo is better. My plan was to go for the higher end Yamaha A2020 in case the Onkyo didn't do it for me. As long as it doesn't have any reliability issues, it's staying with me.
Have you tried just 2 positions with the Yamaha? You might like the sound with only 2 positions. Maybe it's the way my room is setup but multi position YPAO definitely didn't work for me. I would have kept mine but with all the positive reviews for the Onkyo 818, I had to try it.

I don't think I could get an Onkyo 818 because if is out my price range and I am disappointed thamy 608 is having issues. Luckily AMEX covered me and I was reimbursed for it even though it was just out of warranty. I might just try the 1-3 position YPAO and see if that makes a difference. I am getting tired of fooling with this and miss the Audyssey calibration.

post #10 of 18 Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... when calibrating should I have had only one sub connected? I realized that when I ran the calibration that both subs were connected and that might have confused YPAO?
You should have both connected, otherwise YPAO won't know how loud both subs sound together. But since both sub outputs on the 773 receive the exact same signal, it's up to you to manually adjust the subs to the same level before running YPAO, and if the subs aren't the same distance from you they can't both be time aligned by YPAO.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You should have both connected, otherwise YPAO won't know how loud both subs sound together. But since both sub outputs on the 773 receive the exact same signal, it's up to you to manually adjust the subs to the same level before running YPAO, and if the subs aren't the same distance from you they can't both be time aligned by YPAO.

Cool, yeah they are both the same distance from my listening position.

post #12 of 18 Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

After work I had a chance to retest the receiver settings(the kids and wife were gone). I made sure that the subs were same distance from the listening position and so on. I tried running a 3 position measurement and did not like the results. I then did as suggested, a one position measurement with YPAO. The results were better, but in the levels section I noticed that it had reduced the sub by -10. I listened to some content with that setting, the Omaha beach scene from Saving Private Ryan. I changed all the speakers to small and made sure that the crossover was set at 100hz. I thought that the bass was missing a lot of power from it, so I changed the levels of the bass to 0. It was better, but I don't really like the sound of the Yamaha for some reason. I tried the final battle scene from Avatar(I did not really like the movie, the blu ray was given to me) and the mechs and most of the explosions were missing that heft, I could not really feel it. Anyway, I am disappointed with YPAO, I like Audyssey better, even the lowly 2EQ version I had on my Onkyo. I am now really thinking of finding another receiver for $600 or less, any suggestions?

post #13 of 18 Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have Infinity Primus tower fronts (or even bookshelves) it would make more sense to have the crossover set at 60 Hz or 80 Hz. In any case, I wonder if the particular unit you purchased has issues. This would seem to be supported by the weird echo experienced with the center channel after calibration.

post #14 of 18 Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you have Infinity Primus tower fronts (or even bookshelves) it would make more sense to have the crossover set at 60 Hz or 80 Hz. In any case, I wonder if the particular unit you purchased has issues. This would seem to be supported by the weird echo experienced with the center channel after calibration.

They are Infinity Primus bookshelves(for the surounds), but I do not remember the exact model. I had tried 80hz prior to the single measurement, maybe I could try it again. I got rig of the echo pretty much by choosing YPAO Natural(and also by choosing through). I do find that I do not like the sound of the Yamaha compared to my Onkyo, though there is something that is different.

post #15 of 18 Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:

They are Infinity Primus bookshelves(for the surounds), but I do not remember the exact model. I had tried 80hz prior to the single measurement, maybe I could try it again. I got rig of the echo pretty much by choosing YPAO Natural(and also by choosing through). I do find that I do not like the sound of the Yamaha compared to my Onkyo, though there is something that is different.

I had that same issue with the Yamaha A820. I don't think your unit is defective, I think the Yamaha just sounds very different from the Onkyo's. I preferred the Onkyo after a month of tweaking my Yamaha. I also experienced the echo you mentioned above and it wasn't just me. My 9 year old did too and asked me why one of the actors on the Disney channel sounded funny. I think your ears, like mine, prefer the sound produced by the Onkyo.

For your budget the Denon AVR-2113CI might be a good replacement unit. You can also get a refurbished unit with a 1 yr warranty for under $420.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't remember anybody reporting this echo problem on older models, so I suppose it could be an issue with the new YPAO that has RSC (Reflected Sound Control). Since it's supposed to deal with reflections, which are time delayed versions of the direct sound, it's conceivable that it could produce an echo effect when it gets things wrong. But this is just speculation, and it would be interesting to try and pin this down.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I had that same issue with the Yamaha A820. I don't think your unit is defective, I think the Yamaha just sounds very different from the Onkyo's. I preferred the Onkyo after a month of tweaking my Yamaha. I also experienced the echo you mentioned above and it wasn't just me. My 9 year old did too and asked me why one of the actors on the Disney channel sounded funny. I think your ears, like mine, prefer the sound produced by the Onkyo.
For your budget the Denon AVR-2113CI might be a good replacement unit. You can also get a refurbished unit with a 1 yr warranty for under $420.
Quote:

I don't remember anybody reporting this echo problem on older models, so I suppose it could be an issue with the new YPAO that has RSC (Reflected Sound Control). Since it's supposed to deal with reflections, which are time delayed versions of the direct sound, it's conceivable that it could produce an echo effect when it gets things wrong. But this is just speculation, and it would be interesting to try and pin this down.

I think I do like the Onkyo sound I guess and am glad that other people noticed the weird effect by the YPAO settings. natural does sound better, and when set to Through, even more so. I was looking at the Denons, but have seen on Amazon at least, that there have been lots of issues with them. I am going to take back the Yamaha to Costco and instead try the new Pioneer SC-1222-K, it is a pretty good deal right now(today is the last day) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412&Tpk=pioneer%20sc1222-k

post #18 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is a older thread but though i would post my experience on the yamaha EQ. I had the eq set by the yapo and my yamaha has one of 3 options Yapo set,manual set or off. I was watching a movie and during a scene that took place on a mountain you would normally hear a lot of wind etc being a mountain top and all but I heard nothing like that until I watched that scene with the EQ off and like magic all the details that should of been there came back. With that said based of my experience I keep my eq off
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors