Parasound A31 for rear channels and center, seems excessive... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently in the process of setting up a system in the main room in the house. So far I have two KEF Blades, two Parasound Halo JC3's and a Bryston SP3 processor. Now I would like to complete the set up with 5.1 if possible. I have two B&W dipole rears and a Kef 600 R series center. Now I went to a local AV store to set up the install and one person there recommended I purchase the Parasound A31 to run the rears and center. This amp runs around 3k and it seems excessive to me to spend that kind of money on something to run two small rears and a center. Speakers which do not seem that important to me. I will be using the set up for 75% stereo music 25% movies and concerts. Room is large open space that incorporates living room and kitchen. The other thing is the other associate at the store told me that 5.1 isn't really necessary with Blades. He said with Blu Rays the Blades can mimic 5.1 very well so I'm not sure what to do, maybe save the money and skip 5.1 and see how his suggestion works. Any input would be greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Two JC3??? The JC3 is a phono preamp. So you must have the wrong amp name. Do you mean the JC1 mono amps?
If you are going to bother with a center speaker, in a multi channel system the center is considered the most important for movies.
And you really want an amp as good or close, to the L/R mains. As well as the center speaker itself.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Look at the A51, 5 channel amp. I have one and it does the job perfectly.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #4 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yes sorry I did mean JC1's. Ok I'll check that one out although I'm likely going to go with original plan.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Liked: 42
Your issue is that you have flagship Parasound mono amps for the front speakers, and you need something that will be close to its equal for the very important center channel. But hey, you can do whatever seems best, 3000 bucks is a lot of cash these days. A cheap alternative to get you into 5.1 would be a 3 channel amp from Emotiva.com. Or 3 monoblock amps from Outlawaudio.com. Either way would be under a grand, and since you do mostly stereo listening you don't have to lay out a lot of cash. If, down the road you get into theater more you could always upgrade the amps.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kinney View Post

Yes sorry I did mean JC1's. Ok I'll check that one out although I'm likely going to go with original plan.
Well, you can look around for a used Parasound amp to power the center/surrounds, and save quite a bit of money.
Personally, I would not combine the JC1's with any amp from Emo. Especially for the center. For my MC music/movies I use a 5 channel HCA2205A. They can be found for quite cheap, now they are more than a decade old. It would work very well as a 3-channel amp.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Well, you can look around for a used Parasound amp to power the center/surrounds, and save quite a bit of money.
Personally, I would not combine the JC1's with any amp from Emo. Especially for the center. For my MC music/movies I use a 5 channel HCA2205A. They can be found for quite cheap, now they are more than a decade old. It would work very well as a 3-channel amp.

Excellent option.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I can't find a HCA2205A available for sale. I did come across a HCA2003 220 by 3, would that work?
post #9 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kinney View Post

Unfortunately I can't find a HCA2205A available for sale. I did come across a HCA2003 220 by 3, would that work?
Most certainly, same output, just two less channels.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kinney View Post I am currently in the process of setting up a system in the main room in the house. So far I have two KEF Blades, two Parasound Halo JC3's and a Bryston SP3 processor. Now I would like to complete the set up with 5.1 if possible. I have two B&W dipole rears and a Kef 600 R series center. Now I went to a local AV store to set up the install and one person there recommended I purchase the Parasound A31 to run the rears and center. This amp runs around 3k and it seems excessive to me to spend that kind of money on something to run two small rears and a center. Speakers which do not seem that important to me. I will be using the set up for 75% stereo music 25% movies and concerts. Room is large open space that incorporates living room and kitchen. The other thing is the other associate at the store told me that 5.1 isn't really necessary with Blades. He said with Blu Rays the Blades can mimic 5.1 very well so I'm not sure what to do, maybe save the money and skip 5.1 and see how his suggestion works. Any input would be greatly appreciated...

KEF Blade whao very nice

I had an old parasound amp, I read the new A31 is great! Please post pictures

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page