Yamaha RX-A820/1020 Series Firmware Update - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone received any updated information on when Yamaha will be releasing its firmware update for the A-X20 series? I had read that it was to be released in August and Yamaha support confirmed it was going to be released but had no date. Apparently the release will add back in Internet services such as Pandora which they eliminated in the new series. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Yeah, I'm holding off on getting an a870 until i hear if Pandora is going to be included. I currently have a Denon 2113ci that I have to return. I somehow overlooked the fact it was short a few speaker inputs.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I heard back from Yamaha support last week and they confirmed that the firmware update would be released within 30 days if that helps in your plans.
post #4 of 21 Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 AM

I received an email from Yamaha about a new firmware update is available (version 1.64) - I installed it using the USB thumbdrive method - worked great without any issue and no settings were lost.

update: forgot to add that this was on a RX-A820 receiver
post #5 of 21 Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 112
post #6 of 21 Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM

FYI - The update does not work via the network. I tried updating mine today using the YWA10 and received an error message. I tried it with the USB power cable connected to the DC OUT in the rear and the USB port on the front panel. I did get to 3% when plugged into the front but then received an error message. I contacted Yamaha support and the rep told me that it was a known issue. I had to use the recovery method listed in the troubleshooting section of the firmware instruction .pdf. It was simple to do the update with a flash drive but I just wanted it to work over the network. That IS why I bought the wireless receiver.....so things like this could be done over the network. As a brand new Yamaha customer, this does not instill a lot of confidence that the network features will be working all that well.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM

HI Guys,

i did the firmware update yesterday to my RX-A820 and I can confirm that it only works using the USB Method. I can further confirm that Pandor, SiriusXM etc is now included.

I did however encounter one problem...My HDMI Controls are now NOT working. I used to be able to turn on the Yamaha receiver by just turning on the TV and likewise also control the volume using the TV or Cable remote, now all of this is gone...I checked both the TV and Amp menu's to make sure that the HDMI controls are still on and that everything should work but it does not. All of my HDMI Controls were working perfectly before the firmware upgrade.

Can anybody out there help me troubleshoot this problem? I have another Amp (Same model) in the other room and do not want to upgrade until I resolve this HDMI control problem.

Thanks in Advance for any help/advice.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-08-2012, 11:46 PM

Same firmware 1.64 is also user for RX-A720. I updated mine today with no problems. Although I didn't use the methods listed in Yamaha's instructions. I loaded update via the receiver's built-in web server. Downloaded the file from Yamaha's support site and extracted the .bin file from the zip. Then used web browser on my laptop to go to the receiver's IP address. There is a firmware update button under the settings menu. Took about 15 minutes for the update to flash and then got the "Success.. Power off system.." message. Haven't run into any problems..
post #9 of 21 Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDivola View Post

FYI - The update does not work via the network. I tried updating mine today using the YWA10 and received an error message. I tried it with the USB power cable connected to the DC OUT in the rear and the USB port on the front panel. I did get to 3% when plugged into the front but then received an error message. I contacted Yamaha support and the rep told me that it was a known issue. I had to use the recovery method listed in the troubleshooting section of the firmware instruction .pdf. It was simple to do the update with a flash drive but I just wanted it to work over the network. That IS why I bought the wireless receiver.....so things like this could be done over the network. As a brand new Yamaha customer, this does not instill a lot of confidence that the network features will be working all that well.

Also had to update via the USB method......wondering why the YWA10 didn't work? Yamaha support said it could be interruptions in my wireless network signal.....Hmm mad.gif, never had an issue with the network before so wonder if they were reading from a script? Nevertheless, the Yamaha support person was patient, helpful and made sure the 1.64 was installed. It does add some nice features. "Wireless" must have a subjective meaning at Yamaha's Irvine, CA offices. biggrin.gif

Video: Epson 5010 / SI Black Diamond G3 1.4 / Oppo BDP-103 / Darbee Darblet
Audio: Yamaha RX-A820 / Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200/ B&W: CM9s, CMC2, CM7s / Seaton Submersive HP
post #10 of 21 Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Liked: 11
I ran the firmware update over the web and it installed fine. However I now get no video in hdmi1 aka blu-ray and internet radio settings are gone. I'll probably do the usb update tomorrow.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Racine View Post

I ran the firmware update over the web and it installed fine. However I now get no video in hdmi1 aka blu-ray and internet radio settings are gone. I'll probably do the usb update tomorrow.

Is there two updates, firmware and web, or are you saying you will try installin the firmware update again via the web?

Also, listed in the fixes re this update lists improvements to the YPAO. Has anyone tried using that after the firmware with good results? In the past, it did a half ass job, didn't get cross-over or speaker sized right, etc.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Old thread, but I see that firmware version 1.77 is available for the A820. Can anyone confirm if it is ok to use or not?

Thanks,

mm

edit: Have been running 1.77 installed on my RX-A820 by the usb method. No installation snags and works fine for 2 days now.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 PM

Hey all,

I have a RX-A1020 on hold for me at Best Buy, hopefully picking it up tomorrow night. After buying a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 and having it lose all its HDMI inputs/outputs, Best Buy tried to repair, it was then "junked" as of today, I get to do an exchange. I kinda wanted a 820 or a 1020 all along but the sexy amber and blue with the gold Elite lettering seduced me. Lucky I got the service plan, will have something tomorrow night.

After going though the big firmware update song and dance with the Pioneer I had, I'm prepared for any BS my 1020 throws at me. Looks like USB is way to do it for the best results, the Pioneer wouldn't update over the internet either. But it took the USB updates just fine, powered down and everything. I will read the instructions carefully before doing anything.

Looks like version 1.58 is the sole update from 4/15/13 for the 1020, can anyone confirm that it updates and works well with the 1020?

Thanks!
post #14 of 21 Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 AM

The firmware upgrade instructions say to use a USB drive, and then you press a couple of buttons on the front to kick it off. Has anyone tried upgrading the firmware via the webgui by going to the receivers IP address? There is a option to update firmware in the Settings. It says you just need to have the new firmware file on your pc.

I did a backup via the webgui, which is nice. Just want to make sure that this update process works on the A820.

Thanks!
post #15 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 09:44 AM

?? anyone ??
post #16 of 21 Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 PM

Just updated my 820 to 1.80 via the web interface and all went well.

Brand new purchase so it was a fresh update from the factory 1.64 (I think) and has been running well for ~5 hours.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
you can update via the web, just have to plug the yamaha y10 into a external power source instead of the usb output on the back of the avr.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 AM

I updated to 1.80 via webgui, all went fine.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-14-2013, 06:05 PM

Updated to 1.6 on my 1020, no issues so far that I can tell. Over USB, took a while, but detailed instructions on the pdf on Yamaha's website. The ONLY issue I have is HDMI audio going thru to my TV, I get no sound from my TV in standby mode. Pretty damn sure I get sound from the TV when the receiver is on, obviously I mute the TV and use the speakers. And I've tried every HDMI setting (Control, ARC, Standby On, etc) and on my Panasonic TV (it supports ARC, Viera Link) but for some reason I doubt this is an HDMI control audio return control setting issue.

. . and I think I answered my own question, the Amp setting under HDMI setup, I have it set to On, probably needs to be set to Off for audio to go to the TV over HDMI out.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-25-2013, 08:42 PM

Just tried updating my  1020 over the network from the factory installed 1.41 to 1.6.  I performed the front panel (Straight + Mainzone on) and then selected for the connection to be over the network.  Then I hit the INFO button, and it took only about a minute before if flashed that it was successful.  I thought, that was easy.  When I went back into the on screen INFORMATION menu, the firmware version showed "---"  for about 10 minutes, then I checked it one more time, and it displayed the old firmware version 1.4.1.  So I guess I'll try loading it from the computer through the web service.

post #21 of 21 Old 12-25-2013, 09:25 PM

I just tried upgrading the firmware of my Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver using their web service, and after dowloading v1.6 and extracting the bin file out of it, I selected it for the file to upgrade and it took about 15 minutes to go through S1 - S5...at least...is what's displayed as it's downloading on receiver's front panel.   Then it displayed the power off notice, and low and behold, the v1.6 is now loaded.  My problem is my powered sub isn't working.  I'm trying to troubleshoot it....I thought a firmware upgrade might help!  No joy!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page