Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 131 Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post

HTR-4065 on sale for $289.99 ($40.00 off)

Also there was a new model at Costco tonight, HTR-7065 for $479.99. Link

7.2 Surround Sound
AirPlay
6 HDMI inputs (5 rear, 1 front)
2 HDMI outputs, HDMI Zone B for audio/video streaming to another room (same content as main room)

Might have to seriously think about this one. I just wish it had a "true" Zone 2 HDMI output, streaming two different outputs to two different TVs at the same time. Guess you have to spend more money for that.

Oooh, shiny. Maybe next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 131 Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfeva0049 View Post

i just got off the phone with Yamaha and they said the 4065 only passes the video through, but said it could be a communication error that does not get sent through the 4065. he said that the dish box could be sending the tv a signal on how to format the picture to the tv. and that by going through the 4065 that signal gets lost...??? i don't know. i wanna take a picture so you guys can see what im talking about to see if there is something that can be done to correct.

oh and yes from costco.

Have you checked things directly connected to the tv? Do you still see the problem?
post #93 of 131 Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post

Have you checked things directly connected to the tv? Do you still see the problem?

when the dish box is connected directly to the tv, the problem does not exist, only when dish box video is sent through the 4065.
post #94 of 131 Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 AM

Earlier in the thread there was discussion of picture going blank when changing volume in SD mode - which is also happening to me - was there any conclusive way of eliminating this? It happens on my Comcast HD box when viewing SD channels & changing volume. Other than disabling OSD (possible?), are there any suggestions?
post #95 of 131 Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendy99 View Post

Earlier in the thread there was discussion of picture going blank when changing volume in SD mode - which is also happening to me - was there any conclusive way of eliminating this? It happens on my Comcast HD box when viewing SD channels & changing volume. Other than disabling OSD (possible?), are there any suggestions?
The problem occurs when the input signal is less than 1080. The receiver can display the OSD only at 1080i or 1080p. The solution is to go into your cable box's settings, find the menu that controls the output resolutions, and deselect all but 1080i. This will cause the cable box to convert all channels (including SD) to 1080i, and the OSD will always work.

post #96 of 131 Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM

I'm thinking about getting the yamaha htr-4065 from Costco for $280. I'm also looking at the Onkyo TX-NR414 for $230 or the Onkyo TX-NR515 for $300 on Amazon. I'm just going to be using it for movies with a 5.1 speaker setup and by far my main concern is sound quality, followed by ease of setup and having a mic for automatic calibration (one reason I would consider the NR515 over the 414), everything else is much less important. Four HDMI inputs should be plenty and having 7.1 doesn't matter. Any thoughts on what the best receiver between these is? Thanks.
post #97 of 131 Old 03-10-2013, 05:04 PM

Liked: 12
Does this unit play services like pandora or spotify? Thanks.
post #98 of 131 Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

No. I think you have to upgrade to the 673 to get Pandora. (Not sure about the new 2013 x75 line though.)

post #99 of 131 Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

No. I think you have to upgrade to the 673 to get Pandora. (Not sure about the new 2013 x75 line though.)

Thanks. I think that the lack of pandora can be overcome with the apps on TV's and Blu-rays. But on to the iPod. With Airplay do I have to buy Apple TV in order to listen to my iPod?
post #100 of 131 Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

You can connect your iPod directly with a cable, or the receiver can act as Airplay speakers when the iPod and the receiver are on the same network. Additionally, iTunes can use the receiver as Airplay speakers (again, if the computer and receiver are on the same network). No Apple TV necessary.

post #101 of 131 Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 AM

Thanks, looks like I won't need to return this back to Costco after all. cool.gif
post #102 of 131 Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 AM

Keep in mind that when the receiver is off, iTunes won't see it as an option for speakers. You have to turn the receiver on before you can select it to play.
post #103 of 131 Old 03-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Keep in mind that when the receiver is off, iTunes won't see it as an option for speakers. You have to turn the receiver on before you can select it to play.

That is NOT true. I have Network Standby enabled and my laptop with iTunes sees the receiver even when it's off and turns it on when it is selected as the Airplay speakers.

Note that I have the RX-V473 but it's identical to the Costco model so that shouldn't matter. Maybe it was a firmware upgrade?

post #104 of 131 Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:

That is NOT true. I have Network Standby enabled and my laptop with iTunes sees the receiver even when it's off and turns it on when it is selected as the Airplay speakers.

Note that I have the RX-V473 but it's identical to the Costco model so that shouldn't matter. Maybe it was a firmware upgrade?

Interesting. It doesn't do that on mine. I'll have to take a look and see what my settings are.
post #105 of 131 Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

I just tried it again (want to be sure I wasn't imagining things), and it works.

Notably, the little Airplay icon in the lower right corner of iTunes does not light up at first. When I click on it though, the receiver is an option and then it turns on.

What it can't do, unfortunately, is turn the receiver off when you disconnect Airplay.

Also I am using a slightly older version of iTunes (10.2.2.12) for compatibility with my network server's iTunes server. Doubt that has anything to do with it though.

One final thing: If you get it working, make sure you turn the iTunes volume (i.e., the slider at the top) down under 50% before you switch to the receiver mid-song. If it's all the way up, you'll be playing the receiver at its max volume and that won't be pleasant (for you or the receiver).

post #106 of 131 Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:

I just tried it again (want to be sure I wasn't imagining things), and it works.

Notably, the little Airplay icon in the lower right corner of iTunes does not light up at first. When I click on it though, the receiver is an option and then it turns on.

Yep, it worked. For some reason Network Standby hadn't been turned on. Not sure if that was a default or what.
Quote:

What it can't do, unfortunately, is turn the receiver off when you disconnect Airplay.

I've noticed. That sucks. frown.gif
Quote:

Also I am using a slightly older version of iTunes (10.2.2.12) for compatibility with my network server's iTunes server. Doubt that has anything to do with it though.

Heh. Me too. But mostly because they removed iTunes DJ.
Quote:

One final thing: If you get it working, make sure you turn the iTunes volume (i.e., the slider at the top) down under 50% before you switch to the receiver mid-song. If it's all the way up, you'll be playing the receiver at its max volume and that won't be pleasant (for you or the receiver).

The iTunes volume and the receiver volume are two different settings. Just because I put the iTunes volume to max doesn't mean it maxes out my receivers volume. I however understand what you meant in your warning.

What's weird for me is that Airplay is much louder now. Previously I wasn't using it because it required me to turn my receiver way up, but now it's playing about the same level as everything else. Not sure what changed.
post #107 of 131 Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The iTunes volume and the receiver volume are two different settings. Just because I put the iTunes volume to max doesn't mean it maxes out my receivers volume. I however understand what you meant in your warning.
I'll take your word on that one--I'd rather not try that experiment again.

post #108 of 131 Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM

This system offers a lot. Perhaps too much. It is a fine system. If you are not patient, get something else. It interferes with everything. For a while I had the TV turning on and off with the wrong remotes, the cable box, DVD player and blue ray doing the same. Haha! Keep the sound turned down until you figure it out. This thing could blow a hole in the planet. :-)
post #109 of 131 Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM

Question............... I just purchased this Yamaha receiver from Costco and want to hook it up to a set of Bose 901 speakers with an active equalizer. These are older speakers but still sound amazing (bose was producing surround sound 40 years ago) does anyone have any experience at setting these up?

Phigron
post #110 of 131 Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phigron View Post

Question............... I just purchased this Yamaha receiver from Costco and want to hook it up to a set of Bose 901 speakers with an active equalizer. These are older speakers but still sound amazing (bose was producing surround sound 40 years ago) does anyone have any experience at setting these up?

Phigron

Unfortunately you cannot drive the 901s with this (or any) AVR alone because none of them has a way to get the EQ'ed signal back into the receiver. Check out this thread for more discussion on the 901s: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1255032/bose-901-compatible-recievers/0_50

If you want to use 901s with the 4065, you'll need another amplifier and some other stuff. See the sketch in post #29 of that thread.

post #111 of 131 Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 PM

Just bought the HTR-4065 from CostCo for $289.99

Seems an excellent device.

Possibly a dumb question, but .. it only has a sub-woofer output of 'audio pin cable (x1: for connecting to subwoofer)'.

I've got an older sub-woofer that wants an RCA jack with line level outputs.

Is there any way to connect this - or is this 'audio pin cable' actually an RCA (it looks like one, but ... not eager to blow anything up)?

Also, is there a way to create a 'Scene' that would use the same hdmi input as another Scene, but a different audio input (coax rather than toslink)?

Thanks, Les Caudle
post #112 of 131 Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescaudle View Post

Just bought the HTR-4065 from CostCo for $289.99

Seems an excellent device.

Possibly a dumb question, but .. it only has a sub-woofer output of 'audio pin cable (x1: for connecting to subwoofer)'.

I've got an older sub-woofer that wants an RCA jack with line level outputs.

Is there any way to connect this - or is this 'audio pin cable' actually an RCA (it looks like one, but ... not eager to blow anything up)?

Also, is there a way to create a 'Scene' that would use the same hdmi input as another Scene, but a different audio input (coax rather than toslink)?

It's just an RCA cable. (They just wouldn't call it that in the Yamaha manual.) Newer subwoofers (ones made with home theater in mind) will take L/R inputs or just one input for .1 setups like this. If you have an older subwoofer that requires both L and R inputs, it's fine to buy a Y splitter cable.

Unfortunately you cannot have two Scenes with the same HDMI input but different audio. If you re-assign the audio for a particular HDMI input, both Scenes that use that input will pick up the change. One possible solution would be to buy an HDMI splitter cable and run the signal into to separate HDMI inputs, which you could then assign to different audio inputs and different Scenes. But caveat emptor with those HDMI splitters--they don't seem to work all of the time.

post #113 of 131 Old 03-24-2013, 04:41 PM

It's been a couple of weeks since I got this unit at Costco and set it up. Here are my thoughts on it;
- love the ability to play my iPod
- I had never heard of Air Play until shopping around but it is the coolest thing since sliced bread
- I don't understand the negative decibel levels for volume. What is a negative decibel and why isn't it Zero when the sound is off with the numbers rising with the volume level? The volume numbers decrease when upping the volume and increase when going down. Totally ass-backwards. mad.gif
- The ability to control the volume of the various speakers on the fly seems to be lacking. Maybe I just need to read the voluminous owners manual. eek.gif
- My wife has mastered the on/off switch, HDMI 1 and 2 buttons to control the Blu-ray and TV, and the volume in one lesson so she's good to go. tongue.gif
- I'm very impressed with this unit, it's ease of operation, and the picture that it passes thru. And since it was on sale, I'm even happier. cool.gif
post #114 of 131 Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
The volume numbers decrease when upping the volume and increase when going down. Totally ass-backwards.

Only if you know nothing about math.

-20 is smaller than -10. These are negative numbers not positive.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/understandingdb

Afro GT
post #115 of 131 Old 03-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
A lot of avr,s give you a choice of logarithmic or linear volume control display. I looked through the manual for your avr but was unable to find a setting. This site or Wikipedia can give you a better explanation than I can if you are interested.
post #116 of 131 Old 03-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Only if you know nothing about math.

-20 is smaller than -10. These are negative numbers not positive.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/understandingdb

My math aside, why are they using negative decibel numbers for the volume? It should be zero for no sound and positive numbers ascending as the volume increases.
post #117 of 131 Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
The numbers represent dBs below full scale. When calibrating, full scale is 0, which is actually 105 dB. This scale is used by many manufacturers. Some use an approach more like the one you prefer.
post #118 of 131 Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The 4065 is on sale again, $40.00 off.
post #119 of 131 Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 PM

I have an odd question for anyone with this receiver. I bought it and my wife is concerned there is something wrong with it. When you turn the receiver on, it makes three "click" sounds. Each progressively louder. My old Pioneer from the 90's only made 1 "click". Is this normal for the receiver?
post #120 of 131 Old 04-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

The multiple clicks are normal.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Htr 4065 5 1 Channel 575 Watt Av Receiver With Apple Airplay , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page