Yamaha htr-4065 from Costco? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 131 Old 04-27-2013, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a HTR-406590EB20 and an ipad 2. Using the airplay feature I can play music thru my speakers. I cannot show photos from my ipad on my tv which I also have connected to the tv properly because the title of the songs show up on the tv screen.I cannot get the airplay icon to show up above the picture on the ipad. I am running the latest ios software. Do you have any ideas as to what might be the problem.

Thank you,

Don S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 Old 04-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyee View Post

I have a HTR-406590EB20 and an ipad 2. Using the airplay feature I can play music thru my speakers. I cannot show photos from my ipad on my tv which I also have connected to the tv properly because the title of the songs show up on the tv screen.I cannot get the airplay icon to show up above the picture on the ipad. I am running the latest ios software. Do you have any ideas as to what might be the problem.

Thank you,

Don S
There's no problem--the receiver only has the capability to play music over Airplay. It cannot display photos or play videos.
hawkeyee likes this.

post #123 of 131 Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 380
you need Apple TV if you want to display video over Airplay. Built in Airplay on these receivers is for audio only.
hawkeyee likes this.

Afro GT
post #124 of 131 Old 04-28-2013, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the info. That will save me a lot of time trying to figure out how to make it work. I have seen a place the calls this" Yamaha 4065 with apple airplay" I just assumed it was the same as apple TV. Thanks again.
post #125 of 131 Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM

Thanks I think I will buy the apple TV and hope I don't have problems with it.
post #126 of 131 Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM

I need help connecting wireless headphones to a htr 4065 yamaha. I don't want to connect them to the front. My husband is hard of hearing and needs the headphones and I just want to listen at a normal volume. I tried connecting them to the back, av out, but only static. Any ideas?
post #127 of 131 Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
To connect to the AVR OUT or Zone 2 OUT, you likely must also connect an analog cable from the source to the AVR ... so then if the cable/sat box is connected with HDMI, then also add a set of RCA red/white cables as well. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #128 of 131 Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 12

Hi everybody, 

I'm brand new on the forum and this is my first post. I actually purchased this receiver on November 2 from Amazon for $199, as their Gold Box Deal of the Day. –Sorry about that, I know most of you paid $279 and up for yours.   ;-)

I read through all of the Amazon reviews for both this model and its RXV-473 counterpart as well as this thread before making my decision. I was a little hesitant because of it only having 4 HDMI inputs, not having 2 zones, and not being 7.1, as I wanted to be able to send music into another room. I spent the entire day reviewing receivers, looking at higher end Denons and Yamahas and finally bit the bullet on this receiver. It was a refurbished model with only a 1 year Yamaha warranty but for $18 I got a second year from Square Trade, so all in all I think I got a steal.

In reading through the posts in this thread, several of you have mentioned the receiver's internet radio feature and I wanted to ask a question about that. I've read that all you need to do is hook the receiver up vie ethernet or connect with a device wirelessly (I'm going to use an older Apple Airport Express), and you can access internet radio. I'm wondering how you surf through channel selection?

But I've also read that to access internet radio you have to connect to a computer. In the promo information on another Yamaha receiver it says, "You can connect the receiver to a PC to enjoy internet radio."

So my question is this, Does it require a computer or not? And if it requires a computer, how then is internet radio a function of the receiver, i.e. if I use a computer that's connected to the receiver, net radio is a function of the computer, not the receiver. I'd appreciate any feedback that you guys can provide on this. I will have a Mac mini connected via HDMI but I just wanted clarification about this.

I also went to the Yamaha site to download the user manual, setup guide, and current firmware update while I'm waiting on the receiver to arrive. I want to have read through the information so I'm ready to go when it gets here. When I try to download any of the files from the website below, it prompts me to set up an account, which I'd rather not do that. Do any of you know if there is another site where I can just download the files without having to create an account?

At the following website, there are 2 firmware update files: Update 1.16 from 6/20/13, and Firmware Update Troubleshooting from 11/9/2012. Am I right in assuming that the only file I need is the 6/20/13 file, as that is the newest? Also, can I update firmware by downloading the file onto the root level of a USB flash drive? I know that you can do this with Onkyos but I've been told that you can't with Denons and I'm not sure about Yamaha. 

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&product_id=1661736

Many thanks for your help in clarifying my questions and for the wonderful discussion that you guys have posted in this thread. It helped to guide my purchase decision.

post #129 of 131 Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Yes you can download the firmware and install via a USB drive.

No you don't need a computer to listen to Internet Radio using the receiver. You just need to connect the receiver to your network. What will make Internet Radio a lot easier is to use the smartphone/tablet app--it lets you scroll through the channels and groups much more easily than using the on-screen display and the receiver's remote.

post #130 of 131 Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Yes you can download the firmware and install via a USB drive.

No you don't need a computer to listen to Internet Radio using the receiver. You just need to connect the receiver to your network. What will make Internet Radio a lot easier is to use the smartphone/tablet app--it lets you scroll through the channels and groups much more easily than using the on-screen display and the receiver's remote.

Thanks so much for your quick response. So are you saying to use the Yamaha app to do this? Or some other internet radio app?

By the way, your posts in thread were my biggest influence in purchasing this receiver. Thanks for all the information!

post #131 of 131 Old 11-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

The receiver alone can play the Internet Radio stations but it's hard to browse them. I use the Yamaha app to control the receiver--especially when selecting music from a server or an Internet Radio station--because the app can display and scroll through long lists much more easily than the receiver's on-screen display. Once you get it set up, try out the app if you can and you'll see what I mean.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Htr 4065 5 1 Channel 575 Watt Av Receiver With Apple Airplay , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page