External amp recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I may be interested in getting an external amp to power this system for better sound and higher volume:
2x BW 683
2x BW DS3
1x ML Dynamo sub
1x BW CMC2GB
1x Marantz SR6007

Any recommendations?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Your mains dip into 3ohms, and your rears 3.3ohms.

You're going to need a very robust amp to drive those loads. Look into ATI...
post #3 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by warensemble View Post

I may be interested in getting an external amp to power this system for better sound and higher volume:
2x BW 683
2x BW DS3
1x ML Dynamo sub
1x BW CMC2GB
1x Marantz SR6007
Any recommendations?
Thanks.

Save some money and go with Emotiva or outlaw. If you can deal with the appearance and maybe needing to change a fan out for something quieter you can even go pro amp.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So..I use this system for 50% music and 50% movies.
Also, I got each speaker for half off as I was working at Best Buy (no longer am), so out of the choices I was limited to, these sounded the best to me.

Bc I am a music fan as well, would buying 1 multi channel amp and hooking all speakers into it also give me the awesome stereo performance that I desire? I will be getting a couple more speakers (for 7.1), and this all has to fill a large room (currently I have them in a small room, but we are moving). Is there any real benefit to splitting up the load and putting the 2 mains on their own amp and say, the rest of them on another?
Also, I have seen a couple other names thrown around - Rotel, Emotiva, and of course ATI. How should I go about choosing one - is there any real benefit of 1 over another, or should I just let my ear make the decision for me?
What would make ATI amps more suitable to my situation over others?

Thanks
post #5 of 6 Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Also, I got each speaker for half off as I was working at Best Buy (no longer am), so out of the choices I was limited to, these sounded the best to me.
Bc I am a music fan as well, would buying 1 multi channel amp and hooking all speakers into it also give me the awesome stereo performance that I desire? I will be getting a couple more speakers (for 7.1), and this all has to fill a large room (currently I have them in a small room, but we are moving). Is there any real benefit to splitting up the load and putting the 2 mains on their own amp and say, the rest of them on another?
Also, I have seen a couple other names thrown around - Rotel, Emotiva, and of course ATI. How should I go about choosing one - is there any real benefit of 1 over another, or should I just let my ear make the decision for me?
Thanks

Splitting the load between and amp and receiver helps keep the heat down. I have an 11.2 system and use an external amp for 5 channels and the receiver handles the other 6.

I have a NAD amp and it sounds great. I think pretty much any amp that can deliver the watts you need will work. I would avoid ultra cheap amps like pyle.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Thanks

First and foremost, you'll need to be sure the amp will drive a 3ohm load.

I recommended ATI for a few reasons:

They're extremely well made
Will drive low loads without a problem
Have an excellent warranty (7years)
Make a variety of amps for many different applications

They also make the amplifiers for Outlaw, so you can also look there.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page