Emotiva XPR 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anyone have this hulking brute of an amp yet? Any comments on construction quality etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Here.

I got a pretty good deal on it at EmoFest. Construction quality and, more importantly, SOUND quality is stellar. Barely fit in the TV stand but it does not run hot at all, even when pushing it. I'm going to raise the glass shelf another inch as soon as I pick up the Oppo BDP-103 that will replace the tank-like Denon BD player. The amp is huge, 9.5" tall, and weighs in at about 100 pounds -- about the same weight as the girlfriend. LOL

It requires nothing less that a TRUE 20 Amp circuit. I wired up four 20 amp circuits and reserved two for amp power -- I was looking at the D-Sonic M2-3500 before going with the XPR-5. I use one for the subs and the other for the components -- TV, DVRs, disc players

The accent lights can be turned completely off. I usually run it with just the status lights ( the 5 blue ones ) with NO accent light or power level LEDs.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 11 Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Here.

I got a pretty good deal on it at EmoFest. Construction quality and, more importantly, SOUND quality is stellar. Barely fit in the TV stand but it does not run hot at all, even when pushing it. I'm going to raise the glass shelf another inch as soon as I pick up the Oppo BDP-103 that will replace the tank-like Denon BD player. The amp is huge, 9.5" tall, and weighs in at about 100 pounds -- about the same weight as the girlfriend. LOL
It requires nothing less that a TRUE 20 Amp circuit. I wired up four 20 amp circuits and reserved two for amp power -- I was looking at the D-Sonic M2-3500 before going with the XPR-5. I use one for the subs and the other for the components -- TV, DVRs, disc players
The accent lights can be turned completely off. I usually run it with just the status lights ( the 5 blue ones ) with NO accent light or power level LEDs.

Thanks! Looks like a very very nice amplifier. Such a monster.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 60

I tested the XPR-5 with my Jamo R909 pair with good result. Very convincing low grunt. I bought it for my HT I am building. Normal amps are two XPA-1.

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-26-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Beautiful. I just purchased one earlier today mainly to eliminate the two clunky Emotivas I have now lol. It will be powering my B & W 800 Diamond 5 channel setup. As of right now I'm in a small room and won't be using anything near the full potential, but when I buy a house and have a large dedicated theater I want to be able to raise the volume and not worry about distortion. Although it's only 3 more dB of volume over 200/channel, there are still peaks in power to account for as well. This beast will have a nice home.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

Beautiful. I just purchased one earlier today mainly to eliminate the two clunky Emotivas I have now lol. It will be powering my B & W 800 Diamond 5 channel setup. As of right now I'm in a small room and won't be using anything near the full potential, but when I buy a house and have a large dedicated theater I want to be able to raise the volume and not worry about distortion. Although it's only 3 more dB of volume over 200/channel, there are still peaks in power to account for as well. This beast will have a nice home.

And compared to the cost of five 800D's (or do you mean the series, not the model, still..) the XPR-5 is a no brainer investment.

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Except there's no difference in sound quality with this amp against most other amps. I've tried the xpa5 on my Integra dtr40.3 and the sound was the same. And Emotiva told me that they won't sound different then anything else since its job is to make things louder and not make things sound different/better.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Will the xpr5 work on normal plug in?
post #9 of 11 Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

Will the xpr5 work on normal plug in?

Here is a link to the XPR-5 product page on the Emotiva website. Below is text from the product page that indicates that the XPR-5 requires a 20 amp circuit and an IEC outlet. If you look at the picture of the rear panel of the XPR-5 you will see how the plug is different than a standard type.

The XPR-5 requires a 20 Amp circuit and standard IEC 20 Amp outlet (which is different than a 15 Amp outlet).If you don’t have a proper circuit and outlet, we recommend you have one installed by a qualified electrician. We recommend that the XPR-5 be plugged into its own dedicated 20 Amp circuit.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Then this amp isn't for me. Parents wouldn't let me do this.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

Then this amp isn't for me.

An amp that requires a dedicated circuit and an IEC outlet wouldn't work for me either. I have a fairly new home but I wouldn't go to all that trouble just to be able to have an amp such as the XPR-5. If I was setting up a dedicated HT room or a new home I would definitely install a few IEC outlets and dedicated circuits without a doubt. One never knows if they'll need mega power some day biggrin.gif. I honestly think the XPA-5 would be a great amp for you. The XPA-5 has plenty of power and is very affordable. I believe Emotiva sells some products on Amazon so that could be an option if they offer 0% financing.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 5 Reference Five Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page