AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1022-K Owner's Thread

109K views 480 replies 187 participants last post by  jwagner022570 
#1 ·
I have Purchased Pioneer VSX 1022 K recently and started using it.

Please share your Views and experiences with this Receiver.

#352 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristatelawyer  /t/1431029/the-official-pioneer-vsx-1022-k-owners-thread/330#post_23465677

Thanks for the reply

Didn't realize that I couldn't play music on zone 2 while tv played in main zone. That's a near deal killer. I intended to control the iPod touch with the TangoRemote app. Sorry to doubt, but are you sure? That seems silly to design a robust receiver with that Achilles heel. If you are 100% certain, I guess there's no workaround, and a separate amp makes no difference because the VSX-1022-K can only handle one source at a time. True?

On second thought (after reading the return policy and restocking fee), I'm going to make the best of the purchase. Thank you for the explanation. I had read conflicting descriptions, but thought everyone ultimately agreed on the independent zone 2 configuration. Should have read and posted to this forum beforehand ...

My question still stands though. There is no 'workaround' to permit the tv rm 1 while music rm 2 scenario?

I am afraid that that is the bad news. You would need to spend at least $500 for a receiver that has true two source zones (please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been all over this thing and the manual and you can only select one source at a time).

This is really an A/B switch function and Pioneer shouldn't call it a "Second Zone" IMO. I had wanted to have the same function. So now it is just doing music duty in my living room (I got it for Christmas and then didn't have time to hook it up until the return window had closed). There are no audio outputs (other than the HDMI output); all the audio connections are inputs.

#353 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjenaire  /t/1431029/the-official-pioneer-vsx-1022-k-owners-thread/330#post_23466104

I am afraid that that is the bad news. You would need to spend at least $500 for a receiver that has true two source zones (please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been all over this thing and the manual and you can only select one source at a time).

This is really an A/B switch function and Pioneer shouldn't call it a "Second Zone" IMO. I had wanted to have the same function. So now it is just doing music duty in my living room (I got it for Christmas and then didn't have time to hook it up until the return window had closed). There are no audio outputs (other than the HDMI output); all the audio connections are inputs.

I reviewed the manual again, and at page 30 it says:
MULTI-ZONE setup:

This receiver can power up to two independent

systems in separate rooms after you have

made the proper MULTI-ZONE connections.

Different sources can be playing in two zones

at the same time or, depending on your needs,

the same source can also be used. The main

and sub zone have independent power (the

main zone power can be off while sub zone is

on) and the sub zone can be controlled by the

remote or front panel controls.

pg30 manual.pdf 105k .pdf file

Doesn't that mean that it CAN play two sources at the same time?

Attachments

#354 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristatelawyer  /t/1431029/the-official-pioneer-vsx-1022-k-owners-thread/330#post_23467288

I reviewed the manual again, and at page 30 it says:
MULTI-ZONE setup:

This receiver can power up to two independent

systems in separate rooms after you have

made the proper MULTI-ZONE connections.

Different sources can be playing in two zones

at the same time or, depending on your needs,

the same source can also be used. The main

and sub zone have independent power (the

main zone power can be off while sub zone is

on) and the sub zone can be controlled by the

remote or front panel controls.

pg30 manual.pdf 105k .pdf file

Doesn't that mean that it CAN play two sources at the same time?

Do you have the correct manual? For the VSX-1022-K, my page 30 is about the blue tooth adapter. In fact, "MULTI-ZONE" isn't found when I search the pdf. But I would be pleasantly surprised if there is more functionality to this than I have found to date.

#355 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjenaire  /t/1431029/the-official-pioneer-vsx-1022-k-owners-thread/330#post_23467354

Do you have the correct manual? For the VSX-1022-K, my page 30 is about the blue tooth adapter. In fact, "MULTI-ZONE" isn't found when I search the pdf. But I would be pleasantly surprised if there is more functionality to this than I have found to date.

Ugh! Very little more to add at the moment. I thought I downloaded the correct .pdf from the site. Guess not ...

#356 ·
Thanks for the help and for not calling me a knucklehead for buying without carefully reading. In summary, I decided to sell what I purchased for a small loss. It will first be delivered to me on Friday. New, never opened and I'm selling on ebay for $260 with free S/H. Let me know if you're interested ...

In the end, the receiver wasn't for me since I need true dual zone functionality. Oh well, my loss and someone's gain.

#357 ·
Hey no worries. I did something similar when the Pioneer came up for sale on Woot and I ordered first and read the details later. Good luck selling it. I tried to post mine locally on craigslist but only got spammers and a few low ballers to respond. In the end, I decided to keep the VSX-1022-K as my music only receiver/amplifier with network and remote control features and ignore the other functions. It is working for me. I like the ability to remotely control with an iPod or telephone.

I moved my existing receiver to the second TV and I'm sending my "extra" receiver and 5.1 speaker collection (a $50 purchase a year and a half ago on CL) back to my son's college apartment. Someday I will get the true two zone unit, rewire my speaker locations and reduce the number of units drawing power throughout the house. The Pioneer sounds a little better than the Denon it replaced although given my speaker choices, it is not clear if it is really an improvement or wishful thinking. Most of the time I am listening to music on some ceiling speakers in the kitchen while sitting at my desk.

Again, glad the forum could be of some assistance and I hope you find a buyer for the receiver and put that towards a nice two zone unit. (I am eyeing last year's Yamaha that is down to $450 on Amazon - but with two kids in college this year it might just be a pipe dream).

#358 ·
Please help with Zone 2. The sound from my Zone 2 speakers is not good when the speaker selection is in B only. If I select A and B the speakers attached to B seem okay. Any thoughts, I bought the unit so I could flip a switch and have the system playing outside only or both inside and outside. Can't seem to make the outside only (B Only) work.

#359 ·
Its part of the HDMI standards to keep pirates from copying stuff. Anything other than 2 ch. stereo is stripped. However, if your tv has anything it generates itself like Netflix, HuluPlus, etc, you will get a Dolby multichannel output as long as the original program has it. I think that anything you get off the air will be Dolby 5.1 also. This is from Samsung when I was trying to do what you are.

#360 ·
Having issues with an AMD ATI Radeon HD 6450 video card. It's hooked up via HDMI to the DVR hdmi port, then HDMI to the TV. If I remove the drivers, it will display on the TV without an issue. When I reinstall the drivers, the tv screen goes black and it constantly displays the "channel info" logo thing, that says what input is in use and what the quality level is. So with no driver or in safe mode the TV will say 720p and then display just fine, but with the drivers installed for the 6450, it will say 1080i, then sometimes flicker what is happening on the PC and other times just show white static.

Has anyone else seen this?

The HTPC that the 6450 is in is running Windows 7 x86. Going to try Windows 8 and see if that will work any better...

#364 ·
I'm not getting any bass or midrange through my speakers. I only have two speakers connected using the front channel. It was working fine over the weekend and then went to use my receiver yesterday after work and the music just sounded faint and distant. There was no bass, no mid-range, just weak tinny sounding music. I normally connect through airplay, and the only other recent change has been I connected my apple tv through the receiver.

Any help be great, I'd just hate to have to bring to best buy again for it to get sent for repairs. especially when the pioneer site has elite recievers and the new 1023 on sale on their outlet site.

#365 ·
Has anyone successfully used Airplay to output audio to the Speaker B Zone on the VSX-1022? Airplay only seems to work on Zone A for me. When I switch to B or even A+B, audio continues to play on zone A.

Thank you in advance for any help offered on this subject. It's been a major struggle for me.

#366 ·
I have the older VSX 821 by pioneer with a four year warranty from best buy and once it was setup with the microphone EQ it works great. My receiver was a clearance item that was marked down from 349 to 229 dollars. I play 24 bit 96KHZ audio files using optical out on my macbook and have blu-ray player and a 23 inch 1080p monitor by samsung. It also has 7.1 sound, I have two hight speakers (they need to be powered) and a powered subwoofer. Your receiver is a higher end version of mine and must be better. Be sure to use the Equalization Microphone that comes with receiver for bust sound. If you don't have manual, you can get the manual on pioneer website. It has been a great receiver for me about two years now.

#367 ·
I've had this receiver for about a year. Recently I have a noticeable static that comes from the left front channel. I've tried swapping speakers and cables so I think it's coming from the receiver itself. It happens on all inputs. All are HDMI. Any ideas on how to fix this?

#438 ·
i tried to plug the optical cable to the receiver today and it stopped working afterwards. No audio and when i press surrounding mode button, only sees phones surrounding. No sound, video is fine. I guess I need to call cs tomorrow.

Anybody had similar experience?
I have had this receiver for a while and now experience this same issue. Disappointing for such an expensive product.

#369 ·
Can someone explain to me how to do a factory reset on this receiver? I read page 63 in the manual, having it in standby and about holding "Band" and at the same time hold "On", then a message should appear saying "Reset?", but nothing pops up at all. I can't imagine I'm somehow not following those directions correctly.

#371 ·
OKay, a couple of quick questions. I haven't used my 1022 or basement set up with Expressvu 9241 satellite receiver lately. When I went down today, everything works fine picture wise, but when on the Sat function and the picture working for the 9241 receiver, I have no sound, and the HDMI or another light is flashing... Everything is connected properly and worked last time I had it on. I have tried the other audio functions as well as direct. Still no sound, picture is perfect.

Another thing, still can't get my 1022 remote to control my Satellite 9241 box. I have tried all codes for that receiver, as well as all other codes for any Bell Expressvu receivers and nothing. Does anyone in Canada know of a code that works?

Thanks

#373 ·

I have a VSX-1022 connect to my network by CAT5.

No matter what I do, I can't access the network set-up menu.

I have read and re-read the manual and it seems to contradict itself.

I have selected "netradio" and pressed Home Menu button. Nothing. This is what the manual says to do.

it also says the Home Menu is not available in Netradio mode.

How doi I access the Network Set-up menu?

#376 ·
Receiver, Network, Home is how I get to mine.

It may not be detecting the connection to your network. (can you access Pandora or any of the netradio stations?)

Are there lights on the network port indicating connection? Swap the patch cable out with another one. If you know what IP address your router assigned, you should be able to get to Pioneer Web Control

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431029/the-official-pioneer-vsx-1022-k-owners-thread/120#post_22766143

YOURIPADDRESS/1000/system_information.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.