The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1022-K Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 423 Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am using the receiver with Airplay (in fact that is about the only networking option I have been able to make work reliably). My PC and the receiver are hardwired on the network via separate switches. I am not that familiar with iTunes but I am adding multiple albums to "playlist" and then "airplaying" those to the receiver and it switches between the albums just fine including using the shuffle mode. I am using a Windows 7 64 bit PC to send the music and the iTunes version is the latest and greatest 11.0.0.163 and I haven't done the latest upgrade to the latest firmware (since I don't have an HTC Android phone). I have found in the past that my iPod touch and the kids' iPhones will drop the wifi network quite often especially if I am moving about the house. Usually if I am stationary in a single room I can use Airplay without an issue on my TV (using Airtight and Google TV).

I couldn't get Windows Media Player to connect to the receiver. Any ideas?

anjenaire

"Conservation, it's worth the energy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 423 Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Heres another issue I found with this receiver (and probably the entire new line).

I have a home theater PC connected via HDMI to the Pioneer. I have many 5.1 audio files in ogg / flac formats. All previous Pioneer receivers I have owned from 2009 and below have been able to successfully decode these (the dolby digital indicator would light up). Now, the receiver is outputting them through ProLogic (in auto mode). In direct or pure direct they are output in stereo.
post #93 of 423 Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneeruser456 View Post

I have newbie question. I just got this receiver and the home menu looks totally different than in the manual. My home menu looks something like this.
1. Network Configuration
3. firmware update
5. system Info
I am not home and I forgot the other options.
Do I need to upgrade firmware? Where should I get that?
Thanks

Firmware updates are usually recommended. I just did the upgrade myself. You can locate it here.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1022-K

-schuess
post #94 of 423 Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0269 View Post

I'm routing cable box and bluray to my Sharp Aquos HDTV, and routing digital audio (optical) from the TV to the VSX-1022. I'm routing a seperate digital audio cable (coax) from the blueray player to the VSX-1022.
I'm not hearing anything from my center or rear surround speakers, only the right and left stereo speakers. Things worked as expected with the previous receiver (a Denon) configured the same way. The problem exists on all television channels I've tried (several), and "Sound of Music", "Watchmen", and "Top Gun" bluray discs. Selecting the blueray directly (via coax) also does not work.
I can hear proper levels when I use the "Manual SP setup"/"Channel Level" feature, so I know the speakers are properly connected. The manual does not appear to address this.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance - Bob

Did you go through the Auto Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system (MCACC)?

Was everything detected?

-schuess
post #95 of 423 Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 AM

I want to connect the an analog output (I don't see one on the VSX1022-K) to another receiver driving speakers in another room so I can enjoy the Netradio available with the VSX 1022-K. Any idea how to make this connection ?
post #96 of 423 Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Are the VSX-1022 and the VSX-42 Elite essentially the same model? I was comparing the two but didn't see any differences. I wound up buying the VSX-42 for $250 because it had a 2 year warranty.
post #97 of 423 Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 PM

Cnet didn't seem to like this model....

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-1022-k/4505-6466_7-35163428.html

How accurate is their review ??
post #98 of 423 Old 12-21-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-1022-k/4505-6466_7-35163428.html

For $250 dollars it isn't a bad AVR. However, if you want it for networked devices / applications this isn't very friendly. I returned it back to Best Buy after 8 hours of ownership. I've heard that there is a new firmware that is supposed to fix the Pandora / network issues.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #99 of 423 Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

For $250 dollars it isn't a bad AVR. However, if you want it for networked devices / applications this isn't very friendly. I returned it back to Best Buy after 8 hours of ownership. I've heard that there is a new firmware that is supposed to fix the Pandora / network issues.

Thanks for the heads up on the firmware....
post #100 of 423 Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post

I am using it currently only for networked music (either iTunes or through DLNA devices) and it works, although it is not as user friendly as I would like. Due to my issue with my TV I am not using the AVR portion so I can not say whether that the rest of the review is accurate. I wish the Pioneer Control App was more comprehensive but it does work well enough to turn the unit on and off remotely, control volume and change inputs. I guess I would like to switch between A and B speakers remotely as well.

The Airplay functionality is great although I have a hard time getting all my various Airplay devices to sync. Perhaps it is more an issue with Airplay than Pioneer so at this point I am going to cut the receiver some slack.

I do like that I can sit at my desk, start iTunes, select some internet music, Airplay to the receiver and it turns the receiver on and starts playing. Although I believe that an Airport Express would give me the same functionality for $99 so I am still deciding if this unit will be long term (given my AVR situation -- I am purchasing a new HDMI cable just to make sure that that is not the issue -- wishful thinking I suppose).

Another design issue is the lack of a power outlet on the rear of the receiver. I know that that feature was probably a hold over from the turntable days, but I had my subwoofer plugged into that outlet and now the subwoofer is always powered on. Oh well.

anjenaire

post #101 of 423 Old 12-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendodevil View Post

I want to connect the an analog output (I don't see one on the VSX1022-K) to another receiver driving speakers in another room so I can enjoy the Netradio available with the VSX 1022-K. Any idea how to make this connection ?

I don't think you can. There is no analog audio out (or digital for that matter). How about just running speaker wire from the "B" speaker connections? You won't have use of your subwoofer if only on "B" setting but for most NetRadio, perhaps this isn't a big loss?

anjenaire

post #102 of 423 Old 12-22-2012, 02:29 PM

Pandora now works! After doing the firmware update (I think), the webpage (enter your receiver's I.P. address) allowed me to enter my Pandora credentials. The best control (or only in my case) is through the iPhone/iPod Touch app that allows me to control not only Pandora but the NetRadio stations as well. I still can't find the receiver's code but I am getting closer.

anjenaire

post #103 of 423 Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBert* View Post

Any hints or clues on how to get the netwrok radio feature working? All the stations sound like static. Network connection is good. I can get to the web page for the receiver.

Is everyone else able to get network radio to work?
post #104 of 423 Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 PM
SBI

Quote:

No. Having issues connecting to the network. Sometimes it does, but most of the times it doesn't. I downloaded the new firmware but I can't update if it's not connected to the network. Looks like it's going back to Newegg.
post #105 of 423 Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:

I can get the NetRadio to work, but I can only control it via my iPod Touch and the ControlAV App. I would check your firewall connections and possibly put a port exception to the unit. (I didn't have to do this and I am not sure of the port number). I also am using a fixed IP address with the Pioneer so I am not relying on my router's DHCP. The way my unit is connected, from the receiver into a switch, from that switch back to another larger gigabyte switch and then into the cable modem/router. I do find that the NetRadio often takes up to a minute to start broadcasting when I switch "channels".

anjenaire

post #106 of 423 Old 12-24-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBI View Post

No. Having issues connecting to the network. Sometimes it does, but most of the times it doesn't. I downloaded the new firmware but I can't update if it's not connected to the network. Looks like it's going back to Newegg.

I did the update but I don't think you need to be connected to the network to make it work, only have the file on a thumb drive and plug that into the front of the machine. I blindly got the update to start but never saw it flash "finish" since I was shuttling back and forth to my PC to read the instruction manual and the update instructions.

Having dealt with a variety of these type of music appliances over the years, network connections are the biggest pain. In fact the reason I purchased this unit was because I was tired of wrestling with my Logitech Duet and music server. Again all due to network issues caused by either a router reboot, a computer upgrade (weekly MS security updates -- necessary but I big pain in the neck if the proper sequence wasn't followed to get everything talking again). My humble suggestion is to try static addresses, make sure the ethernet cable is solid and the location is receiving a good internet connection before deciding it is the receiver (it may well be a defective unit; I suspect that my unit was a return or at least a refurbished unit sold as new coming from the factory).

anjenaire

post #107 of 423 Old 12-24-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:

I also am finding I like to use iTunes to tune in internet radio stations and then use Airplay to send it to the receiver. I think I will find that a more consistent interface than the v-tuner or even using the M-Server (Media Server) functionality of the unit. That said, as an engineer, I do want to get all of the functionality working as it is supposed to work.

anjenaire

post #108 of 423 Old 12-27-2012, 05:35 AM
SBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjenaire View Post

I did the update but I don't think you need to be connected to the network to make it work, only have the file on a thumb drive and plug that into the front of the machine. I blindly got the update to start but never saw it flash "finish" since I was shuttling back and forth to my PC to read the instruction manual and the update instructions.
Having dealt with a variety of these type of music appliances over the years, network connections are the biggest pain. In fact the reason I purchased this unit was because I was tired of wrestling with my Logitech Duet and music server. Again all due to network issues caused by either a router reboot, a computer upgrade (weekly MS security updates -- necessary but I big pain in the neck if the proper sequence wasn't followed to get everything talking again). My humble suggestion is to try static addresses, make sure the ethernet cable is solid and the location is receiving a good internet connection before deciding it is the receiver (it may well be a defective unit; I suspect that my unit was a return or at least a refurbished unit sold as new coming from the factory).

The location has several new runs from the wall behind the media center to a patch panel in a different location and from the patch panel to a switch and from there to the router. All runs have been tested several times and work perfectly. I do have a brand new Sharp LCD TV with built-in Ethernet (which is plugged to one of the jacks in the same location) and as soon as I started having issues with the receiver I also tested the TV in other five jacks and it works perfect. The problem is that as I said before, the receiver will connect 1 or 2 out of 10 times. I checked different CAT5/CAT6 cables, different ports in the switch....certainly goes by the receiver's mood - sometimes it does, most of the time it won't.
Also, from what I remember from the manual, you need to go to Network mode then press the Home key in order to flash the new firmware, and if you go to Network it will try to connect to the network at which time it will not allow you to press the Home key.
I am out of the home this week, I'll certainly try again but I am not willing to live with it like this. I bought this unit, as well as another one if I have to, for purpose of all these features (and the networking in particular) to work flawlessly.
post #109 of 423 Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM

I got this receiver recently and just got a subwoofer (Polk PSW 110) that I wanted to hook up to it and I can't seem to get any audio to go through it. My link below outlines my issue and what I have done to troubleshoot it already:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1447700/pioneer-vsx-1022-k-with-a-polk-psw-110-sub-hookup-problem

If anyone has any insight into this, it would be greatly appreciated.
post #110 of 423 Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 PM

Hey guys,

I just read up on this and I've had my 1022 for about 2 months now. Love the unit, (Ive been lucky and havent had any issued (hdmi, overheating, airplay) all works the way it should) But has anybody looked into a way to get video out of airplay? I know its one of apples better kept secrets since they want to lock the market down with apple tv (i have wdtv live). Aside from that though for the $275 i paid for it the unit is great. Id rather give some positive about the unit so people dont walk in, see this thread and go runnin for the hills.
post #111 of 423 Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 PM

Hey guys,

Anybody know if I can connect my TCL television to the Pioneer VSX 1022? I know that it isn't on the list. I thought maybe that TCL would work with another brand? Let me know if you guys have any thoughts. I'd really really love to connect the tv to the receiver.

(I'm in love with the VSX-1022!!!)
post #112 of 423 Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Hold on. I'm still reading the manual. They had a huge after x-mas sale.
post #113 of 423 Old 12-29-2012, 09:27 PM

Hello, just picked up this model and I am having some issues accessing the setup menu, when I press the Receiver (gray) button on the remote nothing is happening. From what I have read a menu should appear, perhaps someone else has encountered this.

Thanks,
post #114 of 423 Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmcneill View Post

Hello, just picked up this model and I am having some issues accessing the setup menu, when I press the Receiver (gray) button on the remote nothing is happening. From what I have read a menu should appear, perhaps someone else has encountered this.Thanks,

no offense but don't some of you bother to actually read the manual or look at the diagrams & descriptions? rolleyes.gif good grief...

no, the Receiver button has NOTHING to do with the setup menu. if you can't figure out that the HOME MENU & TOOLS buttons which are clearly marked on your remote and clearly described in the manual are the menu buttons...what can I say? other than good luck figuring out how to use the receiver wink.gif The Receiver button allows the remote to do control various functions. Take the time to read the manual.

page 9 has the remote diagram and CLEAR description that Home Menu goes to setup with a link to page 46 for more info. I don't own your specific model but downloaded the manual & found the page numbers in about 30 seconds. It's not that hard...

Steve
post #115 of 423 Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

no offense but don't some of you bother to actually read the manual or look at the diagrams & descriptions? rolleyes.gif good grief...
no, the Receiver button has NOTHING to do with the setup menu. if you can't figure out that the HOME MENU & TOOLS buttons which are clearly marked on your remote and clearly described in the manual are the menu buttons...what can I say? other than good luck figuring out how to use the receiver wink.gif The Receiver button allows the remote to do control various functions. Take the time to read the manual.
page 9 has the remote diagram and CLEAR description that Home Menu goes to setup with a link to page 46 for more info. I don't own your specific model but downloaded the manual & found the page numbers in about 30 seconds. It's not that hard...

I read it. I still returned it after owning it for 8 hours. The online streaming apps didn't work correctly. This was prior to the FW update. I am not sure if this was fixed yet.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #116 of 423 Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM

How do you hook up a rocketfish sender/reciever to this system to play rear speakers?
post #117 of 423 Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM

Has anyone messed with the network remote control of this unit? I started a list of commands here that allow remote control via telnet on port 8102 (this is the same mechanism that the iOS/Android ControlApp uses):

https://github.com/schaffman5/VSX-1022_Commands/blob/master/Pioneer_VSX-1022_Commands_2012.txt

Unfortunately the commands and feedback from the unit that I've found aren't as rich as the older VSX-1120 unit (see: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home%20Custom%20Install/VSX-1120-K-RS232.PDF ). But if anyone knows the full specification for the VSX-1022 or any is aware of other commands I'm missing, please leave some feedback.
post #118 of 423 Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Thanks to all for the insights. I just opened the box and plugged in the receiver and started the firmware update. Can someone provide feedback on how long the firmware update took for you as mine has been on "update" for over 45 minutes and I am trying to figure out if this is normal or an exception. Thanks!
post #119 of 423 Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 PM

I recently updated to the latest firmware (ARM2013APP1059.bcd). The update took only a few minutes (don't remember exactly, but certainly under 10 minutes). 45 seems excessive, but they give you enough warnings about not stopping it prematurely that I'd let it go a bit longer before trying again. If you do restart it, you might want to first double-check the flash drive is OK with a computer. If that doesn't work, try a different USB drive.
post #120 of 423 Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 PM

Thanks. I tried a different USB drive and got it to work. Happy Holidays!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1022 K 560w 7 Channel A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - 560w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page